questions concerning custom Rx 37mm lenses (Knobloch-style)

Kirk A

Jun 18, 2021, 4:42:35 PM6/18/21
to bullsey...@googlegroups.com
For those of you who shoot iron sights and have custom prescription lenses in your Knobloch-style shooting glasses, what companies do you recommend for producing those custom lenses?

I will need to correct an astigmatism, probably with a minimum of spherical correction (I'm near-sighted). Shooting without any correction seems decent for the iron sights, but it is not any good downrange.

If the cylinder and axis values represent the astigmatism, can they be used independently of spherical changes? In other words, can I drop (zero) my spherical correction and retain only the cylinder & axis values and expect a true (non-astigmatism) sight picture? Or do the spherical and cylindrical values interact?

Thanks in advance,
-Kirk

carlos Da.Silva

Jun 19, 2021, 1:19:38 AM6/19/21
to Kirk A, bullseye-l-list

I went to my regular optician who was intrigued by what I was explaining I needed for my shooting glasses since I also have astigmatism.

it was the first time he thought about a close focus prescription with astigmatism. He asked what about the target focus and I showed him the leaf shutter iris for depth of field.

He tested me specifically with those parameters in mind and ordered a round lens to fit my Varga pistol Glass and also test me for the smaller lens for rifle shooting.

So I have a graduated lens prescription for my regular everyday glasses, and two other different prescriptions for shooting pistol and rifles with diopter iron sights.

--
Abridged and Digest Subscribers -- please do not reply with the abridged/digest subject. Instead use "View this message at ..." to reply to an individual topic via the web forum or change the subject of your e-mail to match the topic/subject before replying.
---

22dr45

Jun 20, 2021, 5:05:27 PM6/20/21
to Bullseye L list
I don't use knobloch shooting glasses.  Discussed it with my local optician and with some trial and error went with the same prescription I use for computer glasses.  Optimal focus just a few inches past my finger tips.  Is the target blurry, yes, very.  So with glasses being so inexpensive www.zennioptical.com I just ordered a few sets.  Non-dominant eye prescription for my normal street glasses distance (so I can read target numbers) dominant eye I can clearly see front sight and the light gap between front and rear crystal clear.  I use scotch tape to partially occlude my non-dominant eye when in shooting stance.  Regular checkup is an annual thing anyway.  He will write my prescriptions as I wish, normal distance, bifocal, computer glasses and you can mearsure your PD or have the doc do it.  If you really want to do it correct shift the PD to your normal shooting stance.  For me I'm 35/35 I change to 38/35 for my shooting eye.  There were several articles on Bullseye pages that helped me get it done.

Grant Rowe

Jun 20, 2021, 5:24:14 PM6/20/21
to 22dr45, Bullseye L list
I use SportSpec. One lens clips to your cap and brings the front sight right into focus. Flip it up to pick up brass. SportSpecgolf.com

Michael Myers

Jun 20, 2021, 5:24:34 PM6/20/21
to 22dr45, Bullseye L list
Be sure to specify polycarbonate lenses, if you value your eyesight.

  • Are you using a red dot sight, or iron sights?
  • If it’s red dot, they will give you a distance prescription that should be fine.
  • If it’s iron sights, have someone measure the distance from your eyeball to the front sight - let’s say it’s 30” just for now, holding the gun in front of you as if you were shooting at the match (one handed).
  • Take a piece of string cut to that distance, and tape one end of it to a business card.
  • When you’re at the doctors, just hold the string against your cheek, hold out the business card, and tell him THAT is the prescription you need.

Grant Rowe

Jun 20, 2021, 7:33:35 PM6/20/21
to 22dr45, Bullseye L list
The sport specs fold down in front of your regular glasses. Mine are safety glasses

Grant Rowe

Cara L. Rule

Jun 24, 2021, 11:09:47 AM6/24/21
to 22dr45, lnico...@yahoo.com, Bullseye L list
Hello all, I apologize for jumping in randomly. I have followed this forum for several years in the periphery.
I was wondering if I might be able to add my friend, Nicole? She is new to shooting, has her CCW and would like to make her first gun purchase soon. Right now she is working on target shooting and getting acquainted to the sport. Wondering if you folks would mind sharing your opinions on what she should buy? She’s thinking 38 or 380 caliber…

Thank you very much!!
Cara Rule

--
Cara L. Rule

Steve Turner

Jun 24, 2021, 11:14:38 AM6/24/21
to Cara L. Rule, Bullseye L list
Your friend, or anyone, can request membership through the Google Group Web Page at the link below. It requires moderator approval, but that is usually just a formality and rarely takes more than a few hours. There have been a few troublemakers over the years (very few actually) that required moderator intervention.

kate schaumann

Jun 24, 2021, 11:15:09 AM6/24/21
to Cara L. Rule, Bullseye list
If you want to get into target shooting the best choice initially is a .22.  Lot of goods ones out there.   .380 is not a good cartridge for target shooting accuracy, and 38 is good only for the center fire portions of a Bullseye match, and has a couple of other drawbacks.   Extremely difficult to find ammo for right now and also not particularly easy or cheap to reload especially with the primer situation.  Best, Kate

Sent from my iPad

Eugene Berman

Jun 24, 2021, 11:15:38 AM6/24/21
to Cara L. Rule, Bullseye L list
Strictly IMHO - neither one would be a good choice for a new Bullseye shooter. I think she should start with a .22 caliber gun and IMHO the best option is to buy a USED .22 target gun from an experience Bullseye shooter. Keep an eye on the Commercial Row section of the Bullseye forum: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/f14-commercial-row

E.
--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem!

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Jun 24, 2021, 12:19:46 PM6/24/21
to Cara L. Rule, Bullseye L list
Self-defense is a completely different subject. There are quite a few articles about it online, and my only advise would be "try several different ones and pick one you're most comfortable with and can hit your mark".

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem!

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Jun 24, 2021, 8:51:52 PM6/24/21
to Michael Myers, 22dr45, Bullseye L list, Cara L. Rule, lnico...@yahoo.com
I would still point her to a 22 to learn to shoot first!

Grant Rowe

R Dan Pauley

Jun 25, 2021, 11:24:53 AM6/25/21
to Cara L. Rule, Bullseye list
I agree with Kate,
Just entering into bullseye stay with .22 rim fire only until you are regularly shooting high expert scores 90~95%
A quality .22 is inexpensive and ammo is easier to obtain (not easy but easier)
I shoot a S&W SW22 victory out of the box stock.  Trigger is nice, sights are plenty good and adjustable.  It is not picky on ammo for accuracy.  Once you think you are ready to shoot other than a .22 it is time for a 1911 in .45 and equipment to reload for it.