AirPod volume on B2

Keith Langton

Sep 9, 2021, 12:42:09 PM9/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi there, I find that the volume on my Airpods is too low - has anyone tweaked the graphic equalizer on the B2 to improve volume?
If so, what sort of settings did you use? Should I just shunt all of the frequencies up?
TIA

Davywhizz

Sep 9, 2021, 2:22:24 PM9/9/21
to Brennan Forum
The equaliser can give an increase in volume, but it's very easy to introduce distortion like that. With any equaliser used with a hifi, it's better to aim for "unity gain", where the volume is the same with the eq in or out. Thus you'd normally adjust for that, if necessary, after changing the frequency curve.

You could give it a try as a volume boost and check how much headroom there is before distortion, but do it very gradually. If you are happy with the sound quality without the eq,  you could just raise all the sliders by the same amount to increase the volume. Otherwise vary the relative slider settings till it makes everything you play sound a little bit better.

The alternative solution to your issue would be to connect a headphone amp to the B2's line out. Many of them combine an amp and DAC, which could improve the sound quality as well as the volume and there's no risk of distortion.

Message has been deleted

Daniel Taylor

Sep 9, 2021, 5:00:04 PM9/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Keith,
Are AirPods Bluetooth headphones?  Or do they plug in directly to the B2?

Davywhizz

Sep 9, 2021, 5:07:43 PM9/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Sorry, I was assuming they are wired, hadn't thought they might be Bluetooth. If so, I don't know how the equaliser will behave regarding the volume versus distortion issue. Same advice applies though - give it a try, but cautiously.

Daniel Taylor

Sep 9, 2021, 7:47:00 PM9/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Normally, the B2 does not control the volume when the music is sent to a Bluetooth device; that has to be done by the device.  With the equalizer, it is best to do more cutting of frequencies and very little boosting, as the more boost you add, the more distortion will come in.  But I don't know if the equalizer even works for Bluetooth.

I still don't know if AirPods are Bluetooth or direct connect.

Davywhizz

Sep 10, 2021, 2:01:40 AM9/10/21
to Brennan Forum
If we're talking Bluetooth, I'd guess that the B2 volume has no effect and the BT output level is fixed. However, we know the B2's optical output is also fixed, but the graphic equaliser can alter frequency bands and also create distortion in that.

PMB

Sep 10, 2021, 4:02:54 AM9/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

It looks like (sounds like) the EQ doesn't work when using the Bluetooth output.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Message has been deleted

Daniel Taylor

Sep 10, 2021, 6:22:52 AM9/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Since we haven't heard from Keith, I tried to check.  Apparently, the AirPods are wireless only.  So there is no way for the B2 to control the volume in this case.

On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 6:13:22 AM UTC-4 Daniel Taylor wrote:
So the question remains:  are these AirPods being used as Bluetooth or directly connected?

Keith Langton

Sep 10, 2021, 1:45:54 PM9/10/21
to Brennan Forum

Apologies, I was afk - yes, Airpods are Bluetooth and not connected with wires.
Ok, many thanks for all of your thoughts and advice, it seems perhaps that I hound go back to wired headphones.
Thanks again.

PMB

Sep 13, 2021, 3:54:25 AM9/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keithla...,

Have a look at this post - link

Paul
Brennan Support.

Keith Langton

Sep 14, 2021, 9:09:54 AM9/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks PMB - very interesting and worth exploring perhaps.