Observations: SanDisk High Endurance 256GB microSD and others

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 1, 2022, 9:11:23 AM4/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Wanted to give some feedback on my "new to me" BB1.
Software version: Oct. 8 2021 <-- ( is this the most current??? )

Tried upgrading the SD card with a SanDisk U3 V30 256GB High Endurance.
Did not work.  Tried reformatting and attempting the process 3 times.
I switched back to a plain vanilla SanDisk U1 200GB unit and it worked without
a hitch.

Tried upgrading software via USB using a Kingston 8GB USB flash drive (FAT32)
and it "Failed".  Web Upgrade works???  I am posing the question based on not
having verification of the latest software version.

When changing speakers, I needed to power cycle ( Off/On ) the BB1 to have the
speaker change register.  BB1 does stream to my Sonos speakers when connected.
User error on my part?

Other than the above, which appear to be software-related issues, I am enjoying the
BB1.  Primarily using it for Internet Radio but will start adding my CDs ( FLAC ) to
it over time.  As it has been said before, "It s an amazing piece of kit."

Regards.
SC Lam

JFBUK

Apr 1, 2022, 9:36:29 AM4/1/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi SC Lam

I'm not a BB1 owner but a few things occur to me.

1. Did you flash the new Sandisk card with the Brennan OS software ?
The SD card holds not just your data but the OS as well so you can't just simply swap in a new card.

Instructions on how to swap in a new SD card set up with the OS are here

2. Looking at the date /time stamp of the files in the latest downloadable zip file for the BB1software, the dates do match
Oct 8th 2021

3. You are following these instructions for a USB drive software update and not unzipping the downloaded file ?

Screenshot 2022-04-01 143255.jpg

John

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 2, 2022, 8:00:42 PM4/2/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello John.

Thank you for your responses.

With regards to 1., yes, I did follow the upgrade procedure laid out in bb1UpgradeSD.pdf.
The procedure worked with the SanDisk U1 200GB microSD but not with the
256GB U3 V30 High Endurance microSD.  I used the same (generic) USB microSD
reader with both cards.

I appreciate the confirmation on #2.  Thank you.

As for #3., I can confirm that I did not unzip/untar/unarchive the file.  I copied the file to a
8GB Kingston USB flash drive formatted with FAT32.  Also checked the file was
not inadvertently unzipped while being transferred to the flash drive. The file
btubeV8.tar.gz was stored exclusively on the flash drive.

I am enjoying the bb1 and am prepping to start storing (FLAC) my small CD collection to it.
Improvements to the software will be highly anticipated.

Regards.
SC Lam

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2022, 4:47:53 AM4/3/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

Not an expert but there is a possibility that your " SanDisk U3 V30 256GB High Endurance " may be a fake card. If this is the case then it would explain your problems.
We have had a lot of trouble on this forum with members having purchased fake cards and USB disk drives.
I would suggest that you get
and use it to verify the SD Card is indeed what it is meant to be.

Fred

JFBUK

Apr 3, 2022, 5:45:43 AM4/3/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi,

I think there may be issues formatting SanDisk U3 V30 256GB High Endurance card to FAT32 as the card is SDXC and exFat by default.
Particularly if attempting to format on a Windows computer.

John

PMB

Apr 4, 2022, 3:58:20 AM4/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi SC Lam,

At which stage in the programming did the 256GB card fail?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 4, 2022, 9:49:14 PM4/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

If it is any help.
I used the SD Card Formatter program from the SD Card consortium to wipe the card before reformatting.

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 4, 2022, 9:50:28 PM4/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi!

It failed at the "Create P3" stage.

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 4, 2022, 9:52:16 PM4/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello Fred.

I got my card from a well-known online retailer, B&H Photo.
I avoid all the high-capacity and low-priced offerings on Amazon, eBay, etc.

Thanks.

Peter Lowham

Apr 5, 2022, 4:23:27 AM4/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi SC Lam,

I had this same error a couple of years ago on my BB1 and it turned out in my case that it was the USB-SD Card adapter that was causing the problem.

I purchased another make of adapter and this one worked with the same microSD card.  It seems that there was an incompatibility between the USB adapter and the particular microSD card that I was using.   But I still have the two adapters and have used both of them without further problems.

It could be that the first adapter was USB 3 compatible and the second adapter was USB 2 only; but I cannot recall.  The BB1 and B2 models are USB 2 and in theory can use USB 3 devices.  However, I have a USB 3 to SATA HDD adapter which does not work on my older B2, so be cautious of using USB 3 devices on your Brennan.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Apr 5, 2022, 4:51:52 AM4/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi SC Lam,

Thanks for that info.

Paul
Brennan Support.

JFBUK

Apr 5, 2022, 8:54:16 AM4/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

this thread popped up when I googled "P3 fail SD card"

John

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 18, 2022, 5:01:56 AM4/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Fred.

I avoid he off-brand, high-capacity and low-priced offerings on eBay and such,
No point looking for trouble over a few $$s.

I do appreciate the feedback but unfortunately I am unable to utilize the program
you recommended to test the microSD cards.  Much appreciated though!

- SC Lam

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 18, 2022, 5:04:01 AM4/18/22
to Brennan Forum
You are welcome, Sir.

Note:  I am enjoying the BB1.  The Internet Radio feature experience is by far the best
I have had.  I was using TuneIn through the Sonos app but have found it to be a PITA
compared to the straightforward functionality of VTuner on the BB1.

Sau-Chun Lam

Apr 18, 2022, 5:05:35 AM4/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you John.

Just does not explain why the same Reader worked for the 200GB microSD
but would not work for the 256 GB High Endurance.  Oh well... the BB1 is
chugging along just fine.