NAS and Windows 10

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 4:07:53 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
I too would like to use the B2 NAS feature but for some reason I cannot get the BRENNANB2 visible in my laptop's Windows 10 Home Network. Any thoughts to share on getting the B2 visible and functional as NAS and Windows 10 Home would be appreciated, as I have looked at other posts and don't quite see the solution, thanks. I have the root User name and the brennan Password ready to use once I get some visibility.

John

Leslie Brownlee

Feb 8, 2020, 4:53:44 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Try following this link, https://groups.google.com/d/msg/brennanb2/sx7rmAjk6Ko/tGridfNLAgAJ

Worked for me when the Brennan website method didn't.

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 5:57:21 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
This is good info. I'm unsure how to map the network drive once in File Explorer. Can't seem to find the option to map the network drive. Any pointer?

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 6:01:55 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Leslie Brownlee It all begins with a right-click on Network. More to come, thanks for getting me started.

Leslie Brownlee

Feb 8, 2020, 6:09:16 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
All I did was go to file explorer; map network drive; choose the drive letter you want; select reconnect at logon; drive path would be \\youripaddress\music; enter the username and password when prompted and select save credentials - you then have a permanent connection.
I used the IP address as sometimes the PC does not resolve the device name.
Hope that helps

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 6:16:19 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
The computer is not resolving \\192.168.1.242\music (my IP address). I will try BRENNANB2, thanks.

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 6:19:42 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
The computer is not resolving \\BRENNANB2\music nor \\BRENNAN B2\music. It may be case sensitive, so I'll give those a try, thanks.

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 6:25:53 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
I have also selected the alternate credential option. Prompted for credentials I am entering root in the top field and brennan in the bottom field. More to come.

Leslie Brownlee

Feb 8, 2020, 6:32:25 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Did it get as far as to ask you for the username and password? If I remember right it can take a while to register 1st time, and in my case assigned the drive to  the This PC folder.

Leslie Brownlee

Feb 8, 2020, 6:38:05 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Here's a screenshot.
Screenshot (54)_LI.jpg

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 6:41:29 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
I got that far. I get pop up. One says Attempting to connect to... followed by Windows cannot connect. I peeked at the Brennan NAS and Sonos page and found a great screen shot of the Icon and the magic name "BRENNANB2." I continue to try that name among others and still get the pop ups.

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 6:43:39 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Wow! That screen shot is how my system wants to appear when it grows up! I'll keep plugging away.

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 6:52:01 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Here are screen shots of my current situation. I'm getting closer to a solution.
screen shots.docx

Leslie Brownlee

Feb 8, 2020, 7:16:09 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John, the 1st screenshot with just the "reconnect at sign-in" checked. Did you then click finish, and were then asked for the username and password before the trying to connect message popped up? It's a couple of years since I did it.

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 7:27:04 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Leslie, Yes I was asked for my user name. I was also checking with my internet provider who advised me to enter my I address at my B2 web user interface page to open a Run command (R+Window Key) and enter either my IP address or BRENNANB2. Neither address did the trick, but I learned a bit.

Leslie Brownlee

Feb 8, 2020, 7:58:10 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Think you've done everything I did, but you ain't got the same result for some reason.  I am using Windows 10 Home on a laptop too as you are.

I know there are some members who have gone into the settings and have activated the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in Windows features. However, I never had to do this and some regard it as a definite security risk. I have checked and in my case, it isn't activated. I'd recommend researching some more of the member's posts on the subject before going down that route.

Hope you can get it sorted as having the B2 set up as a NAS is so handy for moving files. Just drag and drop into a different drives as you normally do on your PC/laptop

J-D

Feb 8, 2020, 8:00:58 PM2/8/20
to Brennan Forum
I'll keep plugging, but first I'm thanking you.

ChasGB

Feb 9, 2020, 2:56:05 AM2/9/20
to Brennan Forum
J-D I had the same problem as you setting up NAS a while ago. I think it was Leslie who gave me the above advice about mapping a new network drive in Windows Explorer, using root as the login and brennan as the password. Initially it just wouldn’t work but eventually after repeating the process a couple of  times I got a connection. I think the problem is with the Windows process being clunky (what’s new?) but now I generally get a connection either straightaway or after just a couple of attempts. So I’m just suggesting persistence. I know it shouldn’t be like that but having the NAS facility really is so useful. Keep trying!

Chris A

Feb 9, 2020, 7:08:41 AM2/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi JD

I think everyone is being a bit diplomatic when referring to Windows 10 as being "clunky" when connecting to NAS! In fact it is a real pain. But it is worth it in the end.

I, too, was unable to get a result following the advice on the Brennan Website. I was, however, eventually successful using the "Mapping Drive" approach. But I would echo what others have said about it being slow.

When I tried connecting using the "Network" option (which you are using), however, I got nowhere. Instead, I clicked on "This PC" (which appears in your screenshots below "OneDrive"). This then gives a "Map a Network Drive" button at the top which I used. I don't know why this made a difference - but it did. It might be worth giving it a go.

Turning to your two screenshots, I don't recall having to check the box "Connect Using Different Credentials" so I am not sure that is necessary. It is vital, however, that characters in        \\x.x.x.x\music        are those that appear on the front display of your Brennan. The first sign of success will be when you get a window asking for User Name (which is root) and Password (which is brennan). After that you wait. And wait. And wait.

The length of time you have to wait depends, I think, on how much music is loaded on your device. When I first mapped my recently delivered BB1, connection was almost instantaneous - but there were only four pre-loaded sample tracks and a promo video from Martin Brennan on it. Now it takes about twenty seconds. In contrast, however, my B2 (which has exactly the same amount of music (in the same file format)) can often take five minutes or more to connect and populate the lists with all the album details. (Indeed, many times, I watch the green progress bar crawling ever more slowly across the screen and then Windows gives a message saying something the to effect that "it cannot connect" - but I just ignore that and suddenly all the data appears). [Believe it or not, even though it is still very slow, it is not giving me that message today so I cannot quote it exactly.]

Keep trying.

Good luck.

Leslie Brownlee

Feb 9, 2020, 8:23:17 AM2/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris A, I have a modest 12,250 tracks on my B2 and in 99% of the times I connect as a NAS the connection is virtually instant. Occasionally I get the slow green progress bar reaction, but I'm not sure if that is after I have added new material followed by a scan disk, or possibly after a Windows update. Will try and note it the next time it happens. When it does do this, it does take quite a while, but as I said this is not the norm. Usually, it's instant.

I know some people who have come across permissions problems, but this doesn't seem to be the case with J-D. Maybe as ChasGB suggests, keep trying and hopefully, a connection will get through.

As it is trying to connect over the WiFi, might be worth checking the WiFi strength from the B2 front Settings>Maintenance>WiFi strength. See attached screenshot for strengths. Have just checked on my B2 if that was the right pathway for the WiFi strength info, and was pleasantly surprised to see my WiFi signal is now -47 to -49dBm after a recent upgrade of my BT Router to the Smart Hub 2. Originally when I first got my B2 the WiFi signal was around -69 to -73dBm and the UI was glitchy. I invested in an RT5370  chip Antenna dongle recommended by Martin and it increased the signal to around -59 to -63dBm which sorted out the flaky UI performance. This new BT router has improve the signal again and just stumbled across this while checking the pathway. Happy bunny. Anyway, signal might be worth checking.

what-is-a-good-wifi-signal.png

Bryan Ogilvie

Feb 9, 2020, 9:47:25 AM2/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Having been inspired by all the messages to try to set up NAS for a B2 that I've had for quite sometime I have just successfully done this.

I only had one problem following an initial failure and that was because I had not started NAS on the B2 unit (Menu-Settings-Maintenance-Start NAS). After doing that it was networked in a few minutes. I used the File Explorer - This PC - Map Network method.

I don't think that I've seen that procedure mentioned in the messages so could it be contributing to the issue.

Now a question for myself. Having networked is it possible to amend and save the folder entries (eg. track and/or album titles) on the networked PC or does that still have to be done via the web UI.

Thanks and regards

Bryan

J-D

Feb 9, 2020, 10:30:59 AM2/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Good Morning Leslie Brownlee and  Chris A,

Many thanks, as persistence is really key. I once had network visibility on my B2 when originally purchased, so I know that it's possible. Getting it back is my next step. Thanks so far!
Message has been deleted

J-D

Feb 9, 2020, 2:11:19 PM2/9/20
to Brennan Forum
I've moved locations today to see if my problem is due to location. That said I just followed my internet provider's advice to enter my IP address at my B2 web user interface page to open a Run command (R+Window Key) and enter either my IP address or BRENNANB2. IP address (a new one) sort of did the trick, as the Youtubes I have in playlist are not visible but all of my archived non-YouTube music is visible in File Explorer. I'll now set the B2 to NAS and see what happens next. More to come, and thanks to all for the much-needed encouragement.

PMB

Feb 10, 2020, 6:33:33 AM2/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Please see this post form Rob - link.

Paul
Brennan Support.

J-D

Feb 10, 2020, 3:32:06 PM2/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Greetings.
The instructions from Rob Lawes were spot on---many thanks Rob, Paul, Leslie, Chris.
I opened my PC today
I received a startup prompt that some of my network drives were unavailable.
The Brennan B2 thumbnail created at a different location yesterday included a red X as part of the graphic. It was the unavailable network drive.
I didn't panic.
I followed the Rob Lawes instructions.
The SMB box was unchecked, so I checked the SMB box and restarted the PC
The B2 Thumbnail was visible without the Red X
Music was found on the music subfolder.
I am grateful!!
Next step is to enjoy the music.
Step after that is to find out how to view my youtube music files in the B2's NAS configuration. Any pointers will be appreciated, thanks.

J-D
Forum Member