B2 Flac+MP3 compression not working?

mxr...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2020, 6:15:39 AM8/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi: I set my B2 to compress in flac+mp3 a while back, and it appeared to be very slowly converting all my flac files to MP3. Recently it's stopped compressing the flacs to MP3 when idle for 5 mins or more, or on the manual Compress command, and MP3s are nowhere to be seen:

Software Version B2 Jul 21 2020 07:58:58

14728 tracks in 923 albums 510 artists

0 WAV 14728 FLAC 0 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 2000.00G Used 437.10Gb

USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists

0 Youtubes

I think the 437Gb used above may suggest it does have some MP3s on board, as from memory that's maybe 80-100Gb more than immediately after I ripped all my CDs to FLAC. This may have happened after a full Export to C. Compress is still set to FLAC+MP3. Any ideas?

Thanks, Max

PMB

Aug 24, 2020, 6:46:20 AM8/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Max,

Maybe the MP3 conversion has finished.

If you use the remote control and press INFO twice the B2 will display how many 'mirror' files there are.

The MP3 files are stored within the Album folders. See Peter Lowham's post on how to use the Export MP3's function.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Aug 24, 2020, 7:44:26 AM8/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Max,

If you find that the 'flac+mp3' has not completed, it might be caused by a track name having a reverse single quote in the name.  I had this problem with about 20 tracks, and when I edited the track name by replacing the reverse quote with the normal forward single quote   then the  compression continued.  The reverse single quote character is value Hex 60, Decimal 96.

I logged this issue with Brennan Support in the post shown below a little while ago.

You can identify the problem track by opening up the B2 WebUI, then open up 'Settings & Status' window,  then open 'Debug' window.
Then on the B2 front panel go to 'Settings' --> 'Compress Now' and select this.

The track name that the B2 is trying to compress will be shown in the debug window.

Regarding the 'Disk Used' figure, this might not be accurate.  I have been looking at this issue and am about to post a query about this in a new thread to Brennan Support.

Regards,
Peter

mxr...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2020, 8:31:28 AM8/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks all. Pressing Info on the remote twice says there are 1697 mirrored files, but now only reports 1200 or so flacs when previously this morning the Windows GUI said (see above) nearly 1500. None of this matters much in practice if it has converted all the flacs to MP3. I'll try the new 'Export MP3 to C:' facility and see what I get.

mxr...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2020, 1:21:32 PM8/24/20
to Brennan Forum
That didn't go too well. 'Export MP3' from 510 Artist folders in my All Music playlist put MP3 files in only 129 new Artist folders, mp3 conversion must have stopped after that. I tried Peter's debug routine above, but that didn't appear to produce any names. I'm not sure what to try next. I could just revert to compressing as flac only on the B2 then export the flacs and convert to mp3 on my laptop.

PMB

Aug 25, 2020, 3:18:51 AM8/25/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Max,

Following Peter's suggestion to use the debug monitor to try to identify the track that the B2 gets stuck on whilst compressing to MP3 - there is a lot of info on the debug screen so try getting the Compress Now option on screen but clear the debug before selecting Compress Now.

Paul
Brennan Support.