Any way of viewing the file folder on your laptop?

Keith Knight

Dec 3, 2020, 5:22:47 PM12/3/20
to Brennan Forum
It would be great to view the contents of my Brennan on the laptop.

I find deleting tracks rather awkward on the Brennan web GUI.

I also find that it is better to rip CDs on the laptop then shunt about 300 items into a separate directory then upload them.

I do however need to delete some tracks as not all tracks are to my taste on every CD.

Failing that it is overdue to have a facility to delete a track that is playing when it is something  you ripped in error.

Look forward to some comments on this matter.

Thanks
Keith

Peter Lowham

Dec 3, 2020, 5:38:57 PM12/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith,

The best way to do this is to enable the 'NAS' function (network attached storage) on your B2 and do the same on your laptop.  Then your B2 music folders appear in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder just as another 'disk' location.  From there you can 'drag and drop', or edit folder names and track names directly from your PC/ Mac.

Setting up 'NAS' is a bit fiddly to get going but it is really good once it is running, and it is a one-time setup.

To get 'NAS' running on the B2, just ensure that your B2 software is up to date and then from the B2 front panel select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Start NAS'

That's it on the B2.  Setting up 'NAS' on your PC/ Mac is a bit more involved, and we would need to know if you are PC or Mac based so that we can advise you further.

Regards,
Peter.

Keith Knight

Dec 4, 2020, 4:07:15 PM12/4/20
to Brennan Forum
I have enabled NAS on Brennan and made sure that everything on the network is fine.   I can see three mentions of my hp printer on the network, and also my laptop and my wifes but no sign of the B2.

How do I sort this out on a Windows 10 pro laptop please?

Cheers

Keith

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2020, 8:28:18 PM12/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith
Some Windows 10 updates/features can cause Windows not to "see" a perfectly functioning NAS !
Look through these 2 threads on this forum first and see if they help.

Fred

PMB

Dec 7, 2020, 3:33:30 AM12/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith,

Is SMB1.0 enabled on the laptop - go to 'Turn Windows settings on and off' > scroll down to SMB1.0 > expand the section > enable the 2nd option - SMB/CIFS Client > OK.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Keith Knight

Dec 7, 2020, 6:28:44 PM12/7/20
to Brennan Forum
i have enabled the 2nd option as suggested, then rebooted the laptop straight away.

It now finds my two Robert's istream radio, one in the lounge and kitchen but they are switched off but still no Brennan.

I am lost for ideas and will probably just have to master deleting files on the web GUI.  I took advice when ripping not to delete tracks to seed the operation up, but now I get tracks playing I never liked!

Best wishes and thanks
Keith

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2020, 8:13:35 PM12/7/20
to Brennan Forum
OK Assuming your Laptop is Windows 10

Open File Explorer and click on "This PC"
a.JPG
Then click (at the top) "Map Network Drive" and you will get this window

In the "Foder" box type either
\\BRENNANB2\music
or
\\192.168.0.37\music
Note replace the 192.168.0.37 with the IP address shown on the start screen of your B2 the one you enter to get up the UI.
hit return
The system should ask you for an account - type in "root"
and a password - type in "brennan"   (both without the " ").
and it should connect, making "Z" your mapped drive to the Brennan B2's music folder.

Of the 2 the IP address may be more reliable.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2020, 8:15:19 PM12/7/20
to Brennan Forum
here is the window
a.JPG
it seems to have got lost in the message above

PMB

Dec 8, 2020, 5:28:37 AM12/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith,

Is NAS on the B2 enabled - press INFO on the remote 3 times?

Have you refreshed the 'View network computers and devices' page?

It can take a while for BRENNANB2 to appear.

Try restarting the router.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Keith Knight

Jan 23, 2021, 5:36:32 PM1/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks to everyone for the information about finding the Brennan on the network, I returned to this problem after quite some time and have at last managed to see Brennan 2 on my network.  The tip about  re-booting the wi fi router helped greatly. Now I have deleted some files I have scanned disk so that my Brennan does not get confused.

Cheers
Keith