Connectivity WiFi

Chris Hudson

Dec 27, 2021, 3:27:28 AM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
Yesterday I wanted to do some ripping with a few Christmas CD's and then hide the playlist until next year.
However while the ripping is succesful the interface is not.
I have tried turning it on and off multiple times and I have tried the laptop ( preferred method) and the mobile ( android ) interface. Yet all seem the same.
Basically when turned on I get everything I should see, but thats it. I can't do anything, search , name a playlist, etc.
I have checked the wifi. I have a sky router that is operating on 2 bands and a mesh network. Screen shots attached.
On sky the connected devices are as they should be, but I don't know what the TIZEN is.
The functionality worked fine yesterday morning, but not in the afternoo and since.
Please could you help.
Thanks
Chris
Screenshot 2021-12-27 08.15.15.png
Screenshot 2021-12-27 08.24.22.png
Screenshot 2021-12-27 08.23.42.png

PMB

Dec 27, 2021, 4:25:11 AM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

Try closing the web UI page on both the laptop and the phone. On the laptop 'clear browsing data' - for Chrome select 'cached images and files' or for Safari ,Delete History and website data' - open a new browser page and enter the IP Address manually rather than using a bookmark.

When you say you checked the WiFi signal, what figure did you get?

The B2 usually shows up as Brennan B2 on your router for a WiFi connection.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Chris Hudson

Dec 28, 2021, 8:59:48 AM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello,
I am about to give up with this. It is a new unit and for the price paid I don't expect to have all this trouble.
Looking at the forum it appears that there are lots of people complaining about wifi connectivity.
I have sent screen shots in the thread.
Here is what I have done.
Restarted the Brennan so many times.
restarted the router ( x 2)
Restarted the PC
Restarted Google chromebook
Restarted my phone.
Cleared cache, on Internet Browser, Cleared cache on Google browser,
I have disconnected the Brennan from 1 router and reconnected to a new router. Message on Brennan, Success.

Every time I load the wifi page on whatever machine. It loads shows songs and artists, but you can't do anything with it.
The DB is -48

What else do you suggest. If I cant get this working soon I will be phoning up to return the unit.
So far, yes it rips, yes it stores it to disc, but so does my PC

JFBUK

Dec 28, 2021, 9:37:31 AM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

the Tizen device will be Samsung, your TV ?

Wi-Fi strength on the B2 is one indicator of connectivity but can be deceptive because it is showing only the strength of the Wi-Fi connection from the B2 to the nearest Wi-Fi access point which is not necessarily your router.

I think that its your network configuration that may be the issue not the B2.

You need to analyse how network traffic is moving across your network to/from your B2 from/to your Chromebook.

John

JFBUK

Dec 28, 2021, 10:06:28 AM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Chris replied to me via email

I have changed the router. I have even tried to change the WiFi dongle, but the 'new'  dongles that work on other PC's do not work on the Brennan. You get message no network.

So I have now plugged the original dongle back in moved the Brennan to within 2 foot of the sky router and it's still the same.

 I have run out of ideas and patience.

Thanks
Chris

Chris,

please use the 'Reply All' so that your posts are visible on the forum.

That means that others can respond with help and view advice that may help them as well

The only dongles that work on the B2 have to have specific chip sets , RT5370

Its very difficult to diagnose network issues remotely as everyone's environments are different so you need to post more info on your exact setup and gather some diagnostics so that people can try to help.

I believe the DECO network mesh systems have some analysis tools ?

Are you running your Sky router in modem only mode ?

John

PMB

Dec 29, 2021, 4:36:38 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

I would say that the B2 is connected to WiFi OK.

With the web UI open on your computer (use just the computer at this stage) does the mouse pointer show on screen?

What happens if you click on the COG wheel at the top of the page?

What OS is the PC running - Windows 10 or 11?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Chris Hudson

Dec 29, 2021, 11:16:05 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I have l delayed answering this thread, as bizarrely it started working.
After trying everything that people suggested (thanks all) I was about to give up.
So I undid the wired connection.
Put the wifi back in, then started to look for the customer support on the Brennan website.
Then opened the wifi interface and it was working????
Played around with it last night, ripped, transferred, played music and added Brennan as a NAS device.
Loaded the music on to my DJ decks (software) all worked brilliantly.
So I don't know why it didn't work, or indeed why it stopped in the first place.

So for now all OK.
Back to a happy chappy

PMB

Dec 30, 2021, 3:58:38 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

Great news, thanks for letting us know.

Perhaps the restarts helped....

When you power off the B2 do this to save your settings -

Make sure the B2 is paused and displaying the clock. Press and hold the Play/Stop button until 'saving' is shown before releasing the button. Wait for the clock to be shown again before powering off - a bit like shutdown on a computer.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 10:22:52 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello,
I spoke to soon.
Now there is no wifi connectivity once again :-(

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 10:33:00 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

Another user was having problems with a Deco Mesh system albeit with his B2 not talking to his Sonos speakers

He had to delete the Deco network and let it re-buiild

John

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 10:44:10 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
I have removed it from the deco mesh and connected to sky wifi. Same problem.
It is not reliable enough. I thin the maximum mout of time I have connected to it over 3 weeks is about 2 hours before it drops off and the page freezes with a windows message, page unresponsive, do you want to wait. More often than not if I get this far, I wait and it comes back. However most times I don't get this far and trying search function or anything else just does not work.
I have a very expensive paper weight that tells the time.

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 10:46:02 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Chris replied direct

I have removed it from the deco mesh and connected to sky wifi. Same problem.

It is not reliable enough. I thin the maximum mout of time I have connected to it over 3 weeks is about 2 hours before it drops off and the page freezes with a windows message, page unresponsive, do you want to wait. More often than not if I get this far, I wait and it comes back. However most times I don't get this far and trying search function or anything else just does not work.

I have a very expensive paper weight that tells the time.

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 10:51:10 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Chris,

have you tried a ping test to your B2 from your laptop ?

Search in the windows taskbar and:
  1. Type “cmd” to bring up the Command Prompt.
  2. Open the Command Prompt.
  3. Type “ping” in the black box and hit the space bar.
  4. Type the IP address you'd like to ping (e.g., 192. XXX. X.X). the IP address of your B2
  5. Review the ping results displayed.
The results should look something like this

Screenshot 2021-12-30 154901.jpg

Rearwing

Dec 30, 2021, 10:51:43 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
There has to be a point where you have to consider if it is the tool for your needs.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 11:00:59 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

I can see you are very frustrated but I am not sure that your problems are being caused by your B2, they are caused by your house network kit.
If the B2 is showing an IP number and from the front controls can play the internet Radio. Then it is functioning perfectly! It will be publishing a web interface on that IP number, it is acting as an Appache web server.
It is the job of your house Router/mesh system to link your Tablet/Pc/phone to that IP number, the B2 can not "reach out" to make a connection.
It is not the B2 that is the "paper weight" but your WiFi system.
If you have not done so yet could I suggest you try connecting your B2 up to your SKY router directly using an Ethernet cable into the (internal) back of the B2, then attach your Laptop to the Sky WiFi (not the mesh) and see what happens.

Fred

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 11:14:47 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I tried that 2 days ago. I hard wired it in direct and got the same result. unresponsive page.
Everything else on both sky and deco network work fine. Even a camera in the back garden, yet the Brennan, just 4 foot away from router fails constantly.

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 11:16:22 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Great reply. If it wasn't the 'tool' i needed I would not have spent over £700 on it.
I just expect it to work, I don't think I am being unreasonable in that.

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 11:19:39 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Screenshot_4.png

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 11:23:34 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I have sent a screen shot showing the result.
I have opened up the wifi page and it looks 'normal' but again nothing happens when I try a search or start music.
Took a second screen shot and again there is connectivity.

Screenshot_5.png

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 11:25:44 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks

the 315ms looks a bit worrying, especially as the others are lightning fast

still in the CMD window try this

tracert 192.168.0.11

Screenshot 2021-12-30 162201.jpg

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 11:34:24 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Screenshot_6.png

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 11:42:01 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Here is the weird bit. At the moment the URL does not work, nothing, see screen shot 8
Yet I am connected through other software and playing music. screen shot 7
I have tried again on PC (windows 10) and on Chrome, and on mobile, all same result.

On Thursday, 30 December 2021 at 16:25:44 UTC JFBUK wrote:
Screenshot_8.png
Screenshot_7.png

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 11:43:17 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
As a last resort it may be worth reflashing your SD Card.

Fred

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 11:47:53 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Again thanks

Apologies for all the questions.

Its quite a crude set of tools but it does appear to show that the connectivity from your laptop to your B2 is there (the two devices can see each other on the network) but every so often it  is taking a relatively long time to send data between them

Your access via another piece of software confirms this.

I'm not expert enough to say why its happening and lots of factors could influence it, how busy your network is, interference from other networks....etc

Do you have a lot of devices connected ?

John

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 11:55:33 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

 Fred's idea is a reasonable one but before that have your tried a Reset Wi-Fi from the B2 menu ?

>SETTINGS>MAINTENANCE>RESET WIFI

and then a setup Wi-Fi to connect the B2 again.

John

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 11:57:31 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
On the Deco Mesh network, yes it has my home security, i.e. door and window sensors, plus 2 cameras.
On the sky network, there are 4 hard wired connections and the Brennan.
Thank you though your set of crude tools show that the wifi is actually working, just the web interface only works sometimes.
Don't know what else I can do. I presume that I can transfer the music from laptop etc through the NAS system, but will the brennan compress wav files etc. done this way.

JFBUK

Dec 30, 2021, 12:00:23 PM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

yes it will compress the WAV files however you get them there
if you do a NAS transfer make sure you do a scan disk afterwards to update the B2 index database that the B2 uses

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 12:08:09 PM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

Your screenshots show that your B2 is indeed connected properly. The problem is in the B2!

The empty web page could be caused by
1) the B2 looking at the SD Card rather than the HDD. Fix = Main Menu . Settings . Maintenance . Use HDD
2) your software on the SD Card is indeed gone bad = Fix = reflash the card, or get a new card from Brennan. As your machine is new i suspect the will send you one.
If you cant wait and want to try yourself it would be best to do so to a new card as the card itself may have an issue.

Frec

Chris Hudson

Dec 30, 2021, 12:16:41 PM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
The front panel was stating that it was using hard drive. Is the music also copied to SDcard? Should I change it to that as a trial

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 5:20:55 PM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
The music can be ripped to the SD Card and p!ayed from there, you could try it, this test would tell us if it was a HDD or software issue!
Fred

PMB

Dec 31, 2021, 4:40:27 AM12/31/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

The SD Card holds the operating software. The music is stored on the HDD/SSD.

Please email us on -   thenbrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, with your address and we will send a new SD Card for you to fit and try.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Chris Hudson

Jan 5, 2022, 4:33:00 PM1/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello Paul,
I thought I would just drop you a line regarding the poor wifi connectivity.
SORTED. Thank you
I received the new wifi dongle today. Inserted and reset wifi. Connected on display OK so then tried ( 3 computers - 1 at a time of course ,windows 10 laptop, Windows 11 PC and Google chromebook from various locations, from 10 foot away to 20 foot away and 1 floor up.
On each one I tried different operations, from uploading music to renaming files.
All worked like a treat.
I would like to thank you and all the others on this forum for the help.

Thanks
Chris

PMB

Jan 6, 2022, 3:31:51 AM1/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Also good to know the dongle was the problem.

Paul
Brennan Support.

mr...@ymail.com

Jan 8, 2022, 2:00:36 PM1/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Chris  -  What sort of wifi dongle are you using? I have no connectivity unless I hardwire into the ethernet plug.  Michael