B2 has stopped reading cds

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 6, 2021, 7:25:57 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Good morning am using my wifes email account  for this. I have recently received my B2 and started ripping the CDs and My current stats are 721 tracks 65 albums 9 WAV 712 FLAC 0 MP3. Having left it overnight I inserted another CD and the B2 showed as loading but then just stopped without identifying the cd and returned the clock. Any ideas what has gone wrong?
Thanks
Gary

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2021, 8:30:50 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

There may be something wrong with the CD, eg does it have any 'free extra' video content?
Is your unit connected to the internet to get CD content data sometimes if no this can cause problems.If
Is the CD dirty or scratched this can cause issues.
If the CD is stuck in the unit, try powering it off then powering it on again while holding in the eject button.
Frecd

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 6, 2021, 9:29:24 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred thanks for the response. I have tried several CDs and none of them seem to be recognised. They are Cds without video content so that wouldnt appear to be the problem. Grateful for any suggestions as I am not a Tekkie....
Gary

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 6, 2021, 9:31:37 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Sorry I should add that the CDs are in good condition and the CD does not get stuck in the drive...it just doesnt read it...

Gary

Rob Harriman

Oct 6, 2021, 9:58:18 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

Your stats indicate you have 9 WAV files, which means that they have not been compressed to FLAC. It probably indicates a problem with a particular CD not compressing overnight.  I suspect your best course will be to identify the WAV tracks and clear them. Then see if the B2 starts to recognise CDs again.

Rob

Rob Harriman

Oct 6, 2021, 10:08:04 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Gary,
Here's the procedure for tracking down the WAV file the B2 cannot compress:

Have the web UI open >> click the COG wheel (to open the Settings menu) >> click the 'Spanner' tab to open the debug monitor.

On the B2 use the front control to go to Settings >> Compress Now - don't select at this stage

On the web UI click on 'Clear' to clear the debug screen.

Select 'Compress Now' - press and release the front control

The debug monitor screen should show the title of the track it is trying to compress.  Delete that complete associated Album and then select Compress Now again. Once the outstanding files have been compressed you can try loading a CD again.

Hope this helps.
Rob

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 6, 2021, 10:51:54 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
thanks Rob Ill give that a try right now.....
Gary

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 6, 2021, 11:09:27 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Okay so Ive done that ... the debug screen shows number of wav tracks 721 - compression code started: files to compress 9 - compression code done -#####flush settings   ...no album names

Rob Harriman

Oct 6, 2021, 5:22:42 PM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,
Sorry for the delayed response.
If your debug screen really is showing 721 WAV tracks, rather than 721 FLAC tracks then something very weird is going on, as it is also saying 9 files to compress.
Anyway I have never seen this response to the Compress Now command.  I've searched the B2 web pages and this forum to see if it has been encountered before without success.
I suggest that you power down the B2 - Press and hold the PLAY/STOP button until Saving appears on the B2 display.  Once Saving clears and the screen reverts to the clock then power down and leave the power off for at least 30 seconds.
When you power it up again, if you still have 9 WAV files to compress it would be worth rerunning Compress now to see if the response varies.
If it doesn't then Paul from Brennan support will perhaps be able to guide you further in diagnosing the issue here tomorrow morning.
It is definitely worth resolving this compression issue before revisiting the CD reading issue.
Rob

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 6, 2021, 5:44:16 PM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks Rob, I have probably confused you with my post so here is a copy of the screen:

Software Version B2B Sep 30 2021 10:11:57

721 tracks in 65 albums 30 artists

9 WAV 712 FLAC 0 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 480.00G Used 11.39Gb

USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists

0 Youtubes

I am going to try your suggestions over the next couple of days and let you know how I get on.

Gary

PMB

Oct 7, 2021, 4:10:10 AM10/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

It sounds like you may have inserted a CD when the B2 was in standby mode - you do need to wake it up first - press and button and 'Ready' is displayed.

If this was the case a power cycle - remember to press and hold the Play/Stop button, etc before powering off - should fix it. If not use the front control to go to Settings >> Maintenance >> Advanced >> Reset CD. Then try another CD.

You could also try a Web Upgrade - Settings menu - to get the latest software.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Rob Harriman

Oct 8, 2021, 6:36:16 AM10/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Gary,
This current forum conversation https://groups.google.com/g/brennanb2/c/XIf0xR1mNXk is ongoing, but the B2 concerned also cannot compress a number of WAV files and has reported the same debug response as you.

To hopefully be able to clear the troublesome .WAV files, without anything drastic being required try the following:
From the Web-UI middle column, select the tracks toggle and type ".WAV" without the quotes into the search B2 box. Remember to include the leading dot. This should list the 9 WAV files. The chances are that they will all relate to one album, if you're lucky.  If you delete that album from your B2, the compression problem should hopefully be resolved.  If they come from  multiple albums , delete the first album and try the 'Compress Now' command to see if the others work.

As this other thread appears to be a tricky problem to resolve and may involve the need to reformat the HDD, I advise that you ensure that you take a backup of all your music on the B2, just in case.  Use the 'Export to C' USB Menu command on your B2 front panel to a FAT32 formatted usb device.  Any usb external drive (HDD or SSD) will do, but avoid cheap high capacity thumb drives from the likes of Amazon and eBay, as these are frequently fake and don't work.  Also FAT32 can only address 2TB, so avoid anything larger.  This will ensure that your music won't be lost if any drastic issue occurs and is highly recommended.

Hope this helps.
Let us know how you get on, and also whether the power cycle fixed your CD read issue.
Rob

Peter Lowham

Oct 8, 2021, 7:18:47 AM10/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

I have plugged your stats into my 'Brennan Estimator Spreadsheet' and it is estimating that your collection should be approximately 14.5GB.  Yours is currently showing at 11.36GB.  My Estimator is only approximate but it is usually within 10%.  The discrepancy in your collection is almost 30%, so there might be something to examine there.

Could you run 'Scan Disk' and re-post the results here?  Then we can look at where to go next.

Regards,
Peter.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 10, 2021, 7:27:50 AM10/10/21
to Brennan Forum
thanks Rob I located the tracks which were on one album, and have deleted them. Am now running scandisk in response to Peters post...is that a lengthy process?
Gary

Rob Harriman

Oct 10, 2021, 8:53:12 AM10/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

Good to hear.  In your case Scan Disk should not be a lengthy process.  Mine only takes a few minutes to read over 22K tracks.
If you can post the result here for Peter's comments that would be very helpful.
Can you also confirm whether the CD read problem is still occurring or has been resolved by the power off?

Cheers,
Rob

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 10, 2021, 12:19:36 PM10/10/21
to Brennan Forum
hello all just to let you  know that my stats now show WAV  0 FLAC 662 MP3 0 AAC 0

Peter Lowham

Oct 10, 2021, 12:38:44 PM10/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

Can you post the rest of the stats such as # artists, # albums, disk used please?   That helps to keep the 'Estimator' as accurate as possible.

Also there are 51 fewer 'flac' tracks now.  That could be because the B2's internal database got corrupted somwhow and now 'Scan Disk' has fixed that.  But do you know how many tracks there should be?

Were the 9 'wav' tracks the ones that you deleted manually?

Regards,
Peter.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 10, 2021, 1:52:13 PM10/10/21
to Brennan Forum

Peter after deleting the 9 WAV tracks manually I am now left with 662 tracks 62 albums 30 artists 0 WAV 662 FLAC 0 MP3 0 AAC capacity480 G used 17.50g
Gary

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 10, 2021, 3:08:10 PM10/10/21
to Brennan Forum
despite all your well appreciated advice I am not able to rip any more cds. I do not seem to be able to get to the screen that says 'ready'  and as before when I insert a CD is just says 'CD loading'  for a few seconds and then goes back to the clock..
gary

Peter Lowham

Oct 10, 2021, 5:50:01 PM10/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

The recovery of your B2 is a step-by-step process.  The first stage of that process is to establish that the B2 basic structures are in good shape; that is that the music collection is free of corruption and that the B2 operating software is clean, etc.

Your latest stats are looking better.  Even though the number of flac files is fewer, the used disk space is greater than before, and that looks better to me.

The next stage, before trying to rip new CDs, is to do an 'Export' backup to an external USB HDD or memory stick.  That is necessary to be done so that, if necessary, the B2's internal HDD can be re-formatted and the music collection can then be restored back to the B2 after the re-format.

Can you run an 'Export' backup as son as possible?

Regards,
Peter.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 11, 2021, 8:40:47 AM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Peter I ran an export to C to a USB but only a handful of the tracks were sent across and then stopped?

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 11, 2021, 9:16:54 AM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
JUst realised I didnt format the USB....just done that and trying export to USB C again...

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 11, 2021, 10:07:10 AM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello peter it exported 152 tracks then stopped......

Peter Lowham

Oct 11, 2021, 11:17:35 AM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

If your USB device is a memory stick, then I suspect that the stick is a fake.  This is a common symptom in this situation and we've had quite a few problems reported to the forum which have boiled down to this problem.

If this is the problem, when you purchase new sticks, don't buy from Amazon or eBay; these sites are awash with fake sticks.  I buy locally, Argos for example.

If you have a PC you can test the USB device by downloading a free application called h2testw'.  Below is a PDF document which describes how to run this.

Regards,
Peter.
H2testw_Installation&Operation.pdf

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 11, 2021, 12:32:52 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
hi peter it is a HP usb purchased from WH Smith so should be ok?

Peter Lowham

Oct 11, 2021, 12:47:18 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

Yes, I would have thought that a WH Smith USB should be OK.  But can you run the 'h2testw' test anyway?

In normal circumstances the B2 'Export' process is very robust, and any problems are almost always down to the USB device.

Regards,
Peter.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 11, 2021, 2:57:07 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Peter
USB stick is ok according to H2testw..
Gary

Peter Lowham

Oct 11, 2021, 4:27:41 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

OK, that's good to know.  I need to think about this one; I'll get back to you as soon as I can think of another suggestion!

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2021, 4:34:39 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Just out of curiosity could you try formatting the HP USB device using the B2 format function to do this.
a.jpg
Then shut down the B2 gracefully and reboot it.

Then run the Export
a.jpg

Does that change things?

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Oct 11, 2021, 4:54:02 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Has anybody thought to check if the front panel says "Source: SD card"?  If that were the case, and now it was full, that might explain why no more CDs could be ripped.  And if 152 albums was all that could fit on the SD card before it was full, that would explain why only that many were exported.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2021, 5:46:23 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Good Call Daniel !!

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2021, 5:49:40 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
here is the command
a.jpg

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 11, 2021, 5:57:47 PM10/11/21
to Brennan Forum
thanks all I am working my wat through these suggestions and will let you know how I get on....
Gary

PMB

Oct 12, 2021, 4:10:01 AM10/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

What memory size is the USB memory stick? Have you checked the Stats on your B2 to see how much memory space you need for the backup - press INFO on the remote?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 12, 2021, 4:57:51 AM10/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello all the back up worked succesfully and the source does say hard drive. I will try loading more CDs later today. Any tips before I start that?
regards
Gary

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2021, 6:41:28 AM10/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

Just to be clear, you checked you were using the B2 HDD and not the SD Card as the B2's music source and this was OK and when you formatted the backup device using the B2 to do this, the Export ran to completion.

Fred

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 12, 2021, 11:44:59 AM10/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred
Yes I checked that was using B2 HDD and the export ran on till completed.
Gary

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 12, 2021, 12:09:07 PM10/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Okay so now I have inserted a CD which shows CD loading then nothing happens and it returns to the clock. I do notice that in the status it is showing CD empty...have tried a number of different CDs
Gary

PMB

Oct 13, 2021, 4:11:50 AM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

Try doing a Web Upgrade - Settings menu, again if you've done one recently.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 13, 2021, 8:53:26 AM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
I've done that but no change I'm afraid Paul. still shows 'cd empty' when I insert a disc
Gary

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 13, 2021, 9:23:07 AM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Any more suggestions? Or should I be returning the product?
Gary

Peter Lowham

Oct 13, 2021, 10:47:47 AM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

OK, I think we're down to three possibilities.

1.  The microSD card has become corrupted and needs to be re-flashed or replaced.

2. The B2's internal HDD has become somewhat corrupted and needs to be re-formatted.

3.  The CD Drive or other hardware in the B2 has become faulty.

I have listed them in my order of likelihood but that is only my view.

Point 1: can be addressed by either obtaining a replacement microSD card from Brennan (under warranty if I understand correctly) or by re-flashing the existing card using the                    software which canbe downloaded from the Brennan website.

Point 2: can be addressed by reformatting the B2's HDD - 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Format HDD'.
               Caution: this will delete all of your music from the B2 so make sure that your Export is complete and good.
               When this is complete (a few minutes) then run 'Import' from your USB Export backup which restores your music to the B2.

Point 3:  return the item to Brennan for repair under warranty.

If you want to re-flash the existing microSD card, just liet us know and we can give you help if required.  Once you have downloaded the two files, the re-flash takes about 10 minutes, so it is quick to do.  Below is a link to the instructions if you want to research it.  Scroll down to 'New SC Card' on the left side of the web page.

Regards,
Peter.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 13, 2021, 5:29:49 PM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter I think I would rather return the B2 to Brennan for you to repair and if this cannot be done  I require a refund.
thanks
Gary

PMB

Oct 14, 2021, 6:02:13 AM10/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

We will of course repair or replace the unit, as necessary but I have just read an email from Chuck, who was having a problem with Scan Disk on his unit. I wondered if this could also be affecting ripping, so please try 'Reset Bluetooth' from the Maintenance menu (even if you haven't used Bluetooth).

Let us know if it helps. Meanwhile I'll send an email to your 'beckycrisp' email address about getting your B2 repaired/replaced.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Becky Crisp Becky

Oct 14, 2021, 7:14:33 AM10/14/21
to Brennan Forum
hello Paul I have tried reset bluetooth but  still no joy. I have replied to your email.
Gary

W F

Nov 9, 2021, 10:03:31 AM11/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Has this problem been resolved?  I'm having a similar problem with a new B2.

PMB

Nov 10, 2021, 4:30:24 AM11/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi no mower,