Powering off B2

Florencio Sud

Dec 7, 2021, 5:44:54 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi  fellow Brennars
What's the general consensus about powering off (and on...and off...and...etc) the B2 on a daily basis?
I know it only draws about 7W, but does power cycling do any long term damage? I know years ago hearing that if an electrical device is going to "break", it is more likely to at power-on, as well as possible corruption to the SD card?
I've only had my B2 for 2 weeks now, but perhaps someone with longer experience can comment on its long-term reliability?

Ivor

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 8:20:13 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
There is no consensus 😊 some people leave the unis on all the time and others, like myself turn it off when not in use.
I have not had any problems since 2016 and neither have the "oners" over similar time spans. If you do leave it on then make sure you set the option to blank the front display screen when the unit is idle as this bit will degrade with time on.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 11:58:09 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Got this (from this Thread) to my private e-Mail ( and my reply).
Hi,
I really would have preferred an on off switch on the unit.
I have added a cable but this was not ideal as the fitting was not tight enough.
I may buy another cable switch?
I bought the Brennan 2 and have managed to load 450 CDs but in two years I haven't managed to do much else.
I understand that I need to do a deep dive and get a better understanding of the process of using it.
Perhaps over the Christmas period I can do this. Otherwise I get frustrated and turn it off.

Gary
Hi Gary

Mine too is an older model (not second hand though) without an on off switch (which they do now!) and with an SD Card that sticks out of the side (these are now internal!).
Don't leave it on if you are not using it, but if you are using it then it will not hurt to leave it switched on, it draws very little power.
From what you say you have not used yours very much since you got it, so I would suggest that you make sure you connect it up to the internet and upgrade the OS first.
Then this link
will help you understand the B2 menu subsystem.
However for PLAYING music it is best to use the Web UI provided by the B2, it is quite intuitive to use.
Fred

PMB

Dec 8, 2021, 3:45:58 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ivor,

I power my B2 on and off each time I use and have not had a problem in over 5 years. I have one of those adapter plugs with on-off switches which makes it more convenient.

Paul
Brennan Support.