does anyone tell me anything about Image Streaming

john

Sep 14, 2013, 5:50:30 PM9/14/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
i just want to learn about image streaming

thanks :)

Brandon Woodson

Sep 15, 2013, 4:42:30 PM9/15/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
http://www.winwenger.com/ebooks/guaran4.htm

The link only directs to Win Wenger's site, which gives some details regarding basic image streaming. There is an advanced version, which merits consideration also, but isn't described or recommended by Wenger.

Do you have anything in particular you'd like to learn about image streaming?

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM, john <ogulcanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
i just want to learn about image streaming

thanks :)

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 16, 2013, 7:15:38 AM9/16/13
to brain-training
yes i have does actually increases intelligence or what are the advantages of image streaming

thanks :)

Brandon Woodson

Sep 16, 2013, 10:21:52 PM9/16/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
For me personally, that is a difficult question to answer precisely. I could only render an opinion on the matter which is predicated on my anecdotal experiences, and therein lies the chief difficulty with such a question: there isn't (to my knowledge) but one image streaming study, and it is disdainfully poor in quality, which gives birth to a few nearly unassailable problems.

The first and principally influential of which being: 1.) the obvious placebo effect, which itself gives rise to a few outcomes with the following results: either 1a.) perceived positive change; or 1b.) perceived negative change; or 1c.) the perception of neither negative or positive change. All outcomes are hopelessly constrained by the placebo effect, and we are either bound by the same to abandon all hope of answering that which is (currently) unanswerable or proceed with the acknowledgement that any answers produced by our rationale might be woefully lacking in veracity.

In any case, the question-in-question bears answering since its indeterminacy doesn't correspond to any gainful course of action we could henceforth take (i.e., we could choose to image stream or not if image streaming worked or didn't work (respectively); but we can *only* image stream or not, hence there's no course of action which can possibly correspond to our present anoesis. In accordance with the principle of risk aversion, it'd seem preferable to err on the side of caution as a general rule of thumb; on the other hand, it seems reasonable to exhaust this rationale for the sake of minimizing our indecisiveness, and so that - since choice (of task participation) in this matter appears inevitable - one can make a more informed choice based on one's personal assessment of involved utility.

The second conspicuous problem, which is much more forgiving, is the possible inaccuracy of personal assessments (namely, if we know it is working, to what extent is it working?) - an issue (especially if we're trying to assign subjective value to pros and cons) that is much less troubling than being unable to determine overall positive or negative merit at all.

**Caveat: online I.Q. test spoiler below**

All my foreboding preamble aside, my personal opinion would be "Yes, image streaming does improve some facets of one's ability to think intelligently.", in response to the first part of your question. I should follow by saying that I won't say whether it definitely improves I.Q. because that would be far too presumptuous (even for my tastes). However, if we briefly examine the basic steps of problem solving, we might note a few parallels between the optimal process of reasoning, as required by tests of fluid intelligence (such as a matrix-based I.Q. test like Jouve's Test of Inductive Reasoning or Raven Progressive Matrices), and the processes of image streaming and quantum wave streaming. Since one only need improve performance on any given portion of an I.Q. test, increased matrix reasoning alone would be sufficient to claim increased overall I.Q. (provided it didn't come at the expense of performance on any of the other portion(s)).

Let's take a look at some of the concepts of the Mensa Denmark online test (http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf, for example) to illustrate our point. Since the test is designed in order of proceeding difficulty (i.e., each subsequent question is harder than the last), it would be helpful not only to examine the last problem or so from the test, but a few of the simple ones as well to compare. Perhaps, a greater order will emerge. :)

The first (and debatable) hardest problem is #39 (see attached image). The correct solution would be (B). Why? The problem employs at least two manipulations which we'll refer to as functions for the discussion: a.) movement and b.) substitution.

We'll first look at two earlier (and easier) problems that use either substitution or movement, like #8 and #19 (respectively). (I know that there are multiple ways to solve these problems (or almost any problem for that matter) and that what is "substitution" to one person could be just "completing the set" to another. Problem #8 is one such example. Just bear with me for explanatory purposes.)

Problem #8 (see attached image) is straight-forward enough. If we move from top to bottom, row by row, triangles are substituted with circles; circles with squares; squares with triangles. Plugging in this pattern, algorithm, rule, or whatever else we wish to call it, we find that the answer is (E), that is, a triangle substituted with a circle.

Similar in its simplicity, Problem #19 (sees attached image) uses movement (i.e., the blackened squares move from left to right, row by row, with the last square moving back to the position of the first square in every instance in this and most other tests.).

Now with those two functions in mind, let's move back to Problem #39 and apply them.

The first three matrices of Problem #39 look like:

X A O A O A X X O (where X's are X's; O's are O's; and triangles are A's)

A O X A X A X O O

A X A O X O X O A

Now to highlight some salient segments to observe the pattern better:

A O A O A X X O

A O X A X A X O O

A X A O X O X O A

We can see that the entire pattern seems to be in motion (from left to right along each matrix), or that there is movement, and that the pattern seems to be replacing shapes in an orderly fashion, or that there is substitution.

Apply the same logic (or two basic principles of movement and substitution) to the last row, and voila! Our inscrutable problem is solved.

This type of "order" is applied throughout the puzzle, and is apparent throughout reality for that matter. moreoever, every fluid intelligence test I've ever encountered was built in the same manner: introduce a few rudimentary operations, or functions, early enough in the test that they stand nearly in isolation, then apply them more vigorously later in combination with each other. While it's not necessary that all of the functions will be used early, most are, and are readily identified.

To observe naturally this would require enough raw processing power (or a strong enough familiarization with psychometrics and the nature of human intelligence) to notice motif and background (e.g., noticing how these principles apply to the situation itself (like a specific test problem) and the underlying principle (like being able to recall it later to solve other problems). Motif to background; specific to general. From great musical works to calculus to chess to I.Q. tests, all complex systems build systematically and hierarchically. With great enough awareness for scope, many form of plot-based entertainment will be ruined simply by acute observation of details and patterns.

As I've stated before, intelligence can be parsimoniously defined as a capacity for nuance. Intelligence is most often limited by a.) our ability to either discern order among chaos (i.e., define all algorithms and parameters) and b.) our capacity to hold information (i.e.,working memory). Naturally, as the chaos increases, so does our need for clearly delineated rules, instead of blindly intuited rules. This is also more easily accomplished than improving working memory; though both seem feasible.

The model of hierarchical complexity (MHC) developed by Michael Commons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_of_hierarchical_complexity; see the Stages of Hierarchical Complexity section) conceptualizes my "order among chaos" point well. The hierarchical complexity of one's thoughts elevates with overall intelligence. (Though in some cases, associative horizon can be a bottleneck.)

Any feature of thought can be classified as either an element, interrelation, or mental operation. Image streaming is nothing short of parsing the imaginable features of thought, or internal elements; quantum wave streaming parses imaginable and tangible elements of thought, or which includes internal and external elements; our modification of quantum wave streaming parses all features of thought, adding interrelations and mental operations, which are unimaginable and intangible to the five senses without formalization. Critical analysis of these features brings an intimate recognition of syndiffeonesis, a neologism coined by Christopher Langan, and the finite and limited nature of all operations of thought. I suspect the innate level of one's thoughts in hierarchical complexity would increase drastically in most persons with enough practice.

My connectome feels up to the task of spouting off several more paragraphs of reasons why I believe image streaming is a promising investment - with all of which easily supported by scientific literature; but rather than read as I endlessly expound on these perceived benefits, it would probably be more productive for anyone who is interested to try it for a few months following the schedule in the manual, The Complete Guide for Genius. I can e-mail the excerpt from the guide containing instructions and a training schedule per request for those who cannot acquire a copy.

"All intelligent thoughts have already been thought; what is necessary is only to try to think them again."

~~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, universal polymath

--Brandon
problem8.jpg
problem39.jpg
problem19.jpg

FerrousFerriss

Sep 18, 2013, 5:37:54 PM9/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Information is information, I'll take a copy of the excerpt of the guide.

Brandon Woodson

Sep 18, 2013, 6:42:41 PM9/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I just sent the e-mail.

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

Sep 18, 2013, 6:47:15 PM9/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Also, I will gladly communicate directly through e-mail with anyone else who wants a copy, so as to leave the thread open for topic discussion.

--Brandon

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 20, 2013, 4:04:21 PM9/20/13
to brain-training
i want a copy to please

Brandon Woodson

Sep 20, 2013, 4:41:40 PM9/20/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I just sent you an e-mail.

--Brandon

Dadepo Aderemi

Sep 21, 2013, 1:36:03 AM9/21/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I want a copy too!

Thanks! :)

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 21, 2013, 4:34:16 PM9/21/13
to brain-training
well thanks for the copy is there any evidence that increases fluid intelligence

Brandon Woodson

Sep 21, 2013, 7:12:20 PM9/21/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
@Dadepo Aderemi: I plan on releasing a "paraphrased" version of only the pertinent excerpts in coming days, so that details are publicly available. This will obviate any need to continuously redistribute and reduce the chances of copyright law impingement for myself and those who access the content.

@Ogulcan Canbazoglu: The answer is contingent upon your standard of evidence. There is the study conducted by Dr. Charles Reinert that I mentioned (and apparently an earlier study which I've yet to locate). Again, it has been criticized for poor design methodology. There are also the many online testimonials of endorsement. I have only encountered positive reviews and findings, all of which I'd consider as weak evidence, and no evidence of any strength or form against image streaming yet.

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 22, 2013, 12:08:22 PM9/22/13
to brain-training
read the research how efficient can be the results increase of an iq 0.9 per hour of trainning what do you think

Jelani Sims

Sep 22, 2013, 5:30:44 PM9/22/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
If you honestly believe you're going to see growth of 0.9 to the hour. I'm afraid you have a lot to learn.

TL:DR
Image Streaming is not worth the time investment.

Brandon Woodson

Sep 23, 2013, 7:19:20 AM9/23/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
"read the research how efficient can be the results increase of an iq 0.9 per hour of trainning what do you think"

I "think" I would gladly accept that rate personally. :)

It's too early to make any secure blanket statements as what rate of increase, for whom, and for how long any rate continues. I think it is enough first to ensure replicability of the results in some population at all. I would like to note that lowest rates of gain were recorded in individuals who displayed greater sinistral (right-brain) lateralization and higher initial I.Q.'s, as one could easily expect given that abstraction isn't merely holding information in one's head (that's only an important step), but understanding how that information can be molded to fit previously established conceptual models. Consistent with my predictions drawn from research, image streaming would promote bilateralism in predominately dextral (left-brain) subjects, and improve facility for this "understanding".

"If you honestly believe you're going to see growth of 0.9 to the hour. I'm afraid you have a lot to learn.

TL:DR
Image Streaming is not worth the time investment."

Do you have evidence to support your repudiation of image streaming? Or are you merely succumbing to your own argument from personal incredulity? Given my despisement for cherry-pickers, I would hate to have overlooked some crucial datum in all my hastiness... Surely you'd be so kind as to enlighten us as to the error of our ways, and with bated breath, I await your incisive edification.

--Brandon

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 23, 2013, 5:07:39 PM9/23/13
to brain-training
okay so you re saying its improving fluid intelligence brandon do you have any more scientific evidence to backup

Brandon Woodson

Sep 24, 2013, 12:34:05 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I'm saying that at the moment there is relatively weak evidence to *outright* support image streaming and virtually no evidence against it. With the evidence presented, it is incumbent upon the individual to make a personal decision to participate or refrain based on the limited evidence on image streaming, a critical assessment of the relationships between variables concerning the act of image streaming and cognitive-scientific principles known or knowable to her/him, and her/his judgement of involved utility.

I do possess more reasons; but it would be far too lengthy to elaborate - to the extent that I fear that my point would be missed. Furthermore, no evidence in the form of sound reasoning and demonstration - no matter how sophisticated and compelling or to what extent it is grounded in established findings - will suffice a blind skeptic or the logically impaired, at least to any extent not already plausible given the present level of discourse; and not without appreciably more effort than already expended. Seeing as my objective is merely informative, not proselytic, I don't current acknowledge any reason that would make spinning my wheels in such a futile exercise worthwhile.

As personal interest permits, I will gladly defend or address questions regarding points already established or participate in the assessment of new ones; so that they may be subjected to the proper level of scrutiny, and so that perhaps resolution in form of advocation or opposition of image streaming will be realized. Contemporaneously, it would then be appropriate to reassess any decisions made by parties involved in favor of the topical preponderance of evidence.

Presently, I encourage all persons to act decidedly as their convictions dictate.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

~~Geoffrey Chaucer, 14th century English poet

--Brandon

rgpddt

Sep 24, 2013, 1:07:05 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree with Brandon here.

The fact that the study has been poorly designed is in no way an indication of the ineffectiveness of image streaming as means to boosting intelligence. It just reduces the credibility of the claim. So, instead of indicating the ineffectiveness of forementioned, it simply fails to increase the likelihood of it's being effective (or at least as effective as claimed).

In cases like this I'd rather play scientist myself and explore and enjoy the process before condemning, because if we assume (and I think it is safe to do so) that image streaming is not harmful, then with the information provided there is always some positive expected value involved.

As to what is my own personal opinion, I think that yes, image streaming is beneficial to one's cognitive functioning (not necessarily reflecting in IQ scores though).

rgpddt

Sep 24, 2013, 1:08:58 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
And I should also add that I think it is definitely worth the time investment.

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 24, 2013, 3:13:55 PM9/24/13
to brain-training
hmm ok and do you know anything about brainwaves and their effects

Jelani Sims

Sep 24, 2013, 6:42:10 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I started with image streaming. Before I had even begun to read into neurological enhancement. I practiced for roughly 1-2 hours a day for over a 6 month period, and saw no noticeable increase in either fluidity of thought, or ability to retain coursework. I'm a high functioning individual, which may have played a part in my outcome.

However I started this regime with my then roommate, who also found it incredibly difficult to notice a change (Not sure of exactly how much time he put into this)

If image streaming did even half of the quoted "0.9" I would have to assume I would've seen at least some benefits, even anecdotal would be nice. However I saw nothing, school did not get easier, conversational ability did not change etc,etc,etc.

I have done many other things since that time and have noticed many benefits during this time. Devoting time to something which has an extremely low probability of working is simply poor time management. I have also reached a level of 13 in DnB before quitting permanently due to the fact I saw zero changes.

Things that have worked for me which have validation in the scientific community in no particular order.
1.Meditation
2.Exercise
3.Rationality training via LSAT
4.TULIP (More on this can be read on the longecity forums)
5.tRNS (Of the PFC during intense study sessions)
6.Diet+Supplementation
7.Heg Biofeedback
8.Studying in general

I could go on but i'm sure you understand what i'm trying to say. I'm sorry if I sounded condescending in my previous comment.

tl:dr
There are much better ways to spend your time when it comes to improving cognitive function.

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 24, 2013, 7:44:50 PM9/24/13
to brain-training
did you take any iq test to observe the changes jelani

Jelani Sims

Sep 24, 2013, 7:45:35 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
No

Jelani Sims

Sep 24, 2013, 7:47:59 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I'm usually around cognitively demanding material, if image streaming did anything, I felt at the time I would notice a difference.
You're free to try it, this is just my own experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 24, 2013, 7:49:20 PM9/24/13
to brain-training
okay and do you know anything about brainwawe technology and its effects to brain

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 24, 2013, 7:50:20 PM9/24/13
to brain-training
and can you explain your activities of 3,4 and 5 thanks

Jelani Sims

Sep 24, 2013, 8:07:35 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I haven't used any neurofeedback devices besides the Heg so i'm not really qualified to answer that question.

3. Is simply studying logic as if you were studying for the lsat (which is basically a test on logic) there are many ways to make it harder, just use your imagination

5. I use http://www.foc.us/index.html If you buy the extra kit you have access to tRNS which I feel is safer than tDCS atm. I apply it to my Dorsolateral prefrontal cortex when I'm studying intensive materials. I turn it off after 30 minutes.

Jelani Sims

Sep 24, 2013, 8:11:46 PM9/24/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
If you really want to test out whether or not image streaming is going to benefit you i'd start here.
1.Go to http://www.quantified-mind.com/ take the tests and establish a baseline
2.Don't make any major changes to your daily routine, as this can impact the results of the follow up.
3.Practice image streaming for as much time as you're willing
4.Retake the tests at http://www.quantified-mind.com/ and see if you've improved.

That's it :)

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 24, 2013, 8:17:17 PM9/24/13
to brain-training
thanks for you help :)

rgpddt

Sep 25, 2013, 2:15:11 AM9/25/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hypee:

Could you share some personal experiences of TULIP? Glancing the thread quickly it seems pretty interesting.

jotaro

Sep 25, 2013, 4:02:10 AM9/25/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
yes?? wtf is tulip??? i am now interested in it too.

Brandon Woodson

Sep 25, 2013, 11:58:01 AM9/25/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
No worries. And thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I haven't experienced any changes with n-back either except a very slight fatigue identical to that attained from hours of difficult studying. (Though I didn't test with n-back and had/have ADHD, so I'll reserve judgement as to whether it improved any facet of my intelligence.)

Although exercise helps as does proper diet, I'd rank the advanced variants of image streaming (and particularly quantum wave streaming) higher than everything on your list - less (1) and (7) in high doses, which seem to work particularly well, and (4) and (5), which I haven't tried. (In fact, much higher.)

Of course - similar to your self-assessment - I didn't test during that period; and contrary to your appraisal - image streaming seemed to have evoked a wide range of benefits and even some bizarre side effects. Also whereas meditation and neurofeedback slowed the natural frequency of my spontaneous and undirected thought (while increasing the speed, ease, and stability of conscious thought), image streaming sped the rate of both deliberate and spontaneous thought while merging the two streams in an utterly surreal state of consciousness. (It's sort of a weird sensation to describe aptly.)

I am curious as to why it seems you did not even subjectively benefit. Not to inundate you with inquiries, but I have a few questions if you don't mind:

-Which style(s) of image streaming did you use?
-On which foci did you image stream?
-Did you observe any effects whatsoever on cognition and/or mood?
-Did you observe any changes in divergent thinking or in the frequency of "flashes of insight"?
-Do you naturally exhibit any peculiarities in your cognitive/psychological/neurological profile (e.g., idiosyncrasies, weaknesses, and strengths) ?
-What do you suspect (short of having been tested and actually knowing) is the nature of your brain's hemispherical balance?

--Brandon

Jelani Sims

Sep 25, 2013, 12:18:09 PM9/25/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
It's interesting that you've had such results with it. I've been thinking about it as a result of this conversation and I think it may be synergistic with meditation.

In regards to your questions
-I used the style which was discussed on his web page. Take a voice recorder sit down somewhere, let your imagination go wild and examine and explore what comes into your mind via the voice recorder.
-Truthfully no, mood is incredibly difficult to quantify, primarily due to the fact I am naturally laid back.
-No
-I can see the bigger picture before I grasp the small details
-No idea

Someone needs to do a before and after via http://www.quantified-mind.com/
From what I've recently read image streaming was originally intended to be a visualization exercise. However that in itself would be worth it.

I'd be willing to try it again if others trialed it with me.

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 25, 2013, 12:48:16 PM9/25/13
to brain-training
brandon do you know anything about brainwawe technology and its effects on human intellegence

Jelani Sims

Sep 25, 2013, 1:25:55 PM9/25/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Use Mr. Wengers image streaming technique, but instead of thinking of random "virtual worlds" in your head, focus on a problem and image stream your manipulation of its solution in your head. Do this until you can solve nearly any problem completely in your head never opening your eyes and writing something down. This could extend into complex mathematical formula, and or 3d images completely manufactured in your mind. Learning how to sketch properly, could prove to be incredibly beneficial, if you could go through the process of completing a sketch in your mind while maintaining the image, i think you're in good territory. This book should help
 http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-sketching-environments-imagination/dp/1933492759/ref=sr_1_100?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364573973&sr=1-100

This is all assuming this is even possible. Even if image streaming doesn't increase cognition, I think it may have potential for improving visualization. Perhaps my lack of results were due to lack of difficulty?

Brandon Woodson

Sep 26, 2013, 1:34:55 AM9/26/13
"Perhaps my lack of results were due to lack of difficulty"

Yeah, that's easily conceivable; it certainly wasn't difficult when I was using it.

Against the well-intended scheduling advice outlined in The Complete Guide for Genius, I took an expedited approach to the directions outlined and proceeded with the advanced schedule early. Perceivable benefits cropped up after I did so - when I could actualize my mind's maximum rate of description - but the more potent ones appeared when I started quantum wave streaming heavily and sporadically as I conducted normal activities.

"Use Mr. Wengers image streaming technique, but instead of thinking of random "virtual worlds" in your head, focus on a problem and image stream your manipulation of its solution in your head. Do this until you can solve nearly any problem completely in your head never opening your eyes and writing something down. This could extend into complex mathematical formula, and or 3d images completely manufactured in your mind. Learning how to sketch properly, could prove to be incredibly beneficial, if you could go through the process of completing a sketch in your mind while maintaining the image, i think you're in good territory."

We have a similar idea in mind. My ultimate conception of image streaming would be an improvement of quantum wave streaming that incorporates all aspects of thought, including all manner of complex interrelations; ideally, this could be performed often throughout the day without substantial fatigue or effort, and especially during problem-solving operations. As the random abstractions instigated by practice become more voluble and elaborate, the volume and complexities involved will naturally increase. Certainly, I concur this refinement ought to entail the inclusion of abstract models used in problem-solving.  With ingenuity, it may be possible to continuously refine the image streaming process so that it remains appropriately difficult and conforms to the needs of the individual.

"This is all assuming this is even possible. Even if image streaming doesn't increase cognition, I think it may have potential for improving visualization."

Interestingly enough, the use of advanced image streaming (or at least its dear predecessor) seems to predate modern society.

Here is a passage which describes his early attempts at visualization from Nikola Tesla's autobiography, My Inventions

"[...] I tried to concentrate my mind on something else I had seen, and in the way I would of then obtain temporary relief; but in order to get it I had to conjure continuously new images. It was not long before I found that I had exhausted all of those at my command; my "reel" had run out, as it were, because I had seen little of the world - only objects in my home and the immediate surroundings. As I performed these mental operations for the second or third time, in order to chase the appearances from my vision, the remedy gradually lost all its force. Then I instinctively commenced to make excursions beyond the limits of the small world of which I had knowledge, and I saw new scenes. These were at first very blurred and indistinct, and would flit away when I tried to concentrate my attention upon them, but by and by I succeeded in fixing them; they gained in strength and distinctness and finally assumed the concreteness of real things. I soon discovered that my best comfort was attained if I simply went on in my vision farther and farther, getting new impressions all the time, and so I began to travel - of course, in my mind. Every nigh (and sometimes during the day), when alone, I would start on my journeys - see new places, cities and countries - live there, meet people and make friendships and acquaintances and, however unbelievable, it is a fact that they were just as dear to me as those in actual life and not a bit less intense in the manifestations."

And another passage in which Tesla describes an exercise which sounds like quantum wave streaming:

"My early affliction had, however, another compensation. The incessant mental exertion developed my powers of observation and enabled me to discover a truth of great importance. I had noted that the appearance of images was always preceded by actual vision of scenes under peculiar and generally very exceptional conditions and I was impelled on each occasion to locate the original impulse. After a while this effort grew to be almost automatic and I gained great facility in connecting cause and effect. Soon I became aware, to my surprise, that every thought I conceived was suggested by an external impression. Not only this but all my actions were prompted in a similar way. In the course of time it became perfectly evident to me that I was merely an automaton endowed with the power of movement, responding to the stimuli of the sense organs and thinking and acting accordingly."

"I'd be willing to try it again if others trialed it with me."

Likewise, I would also be perfectly willing to participate in approximately two weeks. I think it would be helpful to find out specifically what is affected by image streaming (if anything). A wide battery of tests like that provided by the site that you suggested would be excellent for that purpose.

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

Sep 26, 2013, 1:57:37 AM9/26/13
As agreed, here is a paraphrased version of the excerpt from The Complete Guide to Genius on image streaming and quantum wave streaming.

In the first sentence the author claims I.Q. enhancement up to 180 is possible with sufficient effort depending on the starting level of intelligence. (Translator note: Hyperbole, much?)

Image Streaming

Step #1: Close your eyes

Step #2: Find a relaxing setting which you won't be disturbed and try to relax your mind.

Step #3: The mind is continuously presenting images in your mind's eye. For example, if I describe a multi-color
beach ball atop a sandy bed of beach sand, you will more or less vividly picture this in your mind. Close your eyes and attempt to remain aware when this spontaneously occurs in the mind.

Step #4: Try to describe any impression which presents as descriptively as possible to either another live person who is present or some recording device (e.g., cassette recorder, dictaphone, computer recording software)

Step #5: Incorporate features from all five sensory modalities (i.e., visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, gustatory). Building on our early example: "Juxtaposed the glistening grains of golden sand, I can see a reflection of the sun creating a luster on the beach ball, which is segmented into six equivalent wedge-shaped areas with the following colors in order from left to right; red, white, blue, white, yellow, white. I feel a refreshing and pleasing breeze, which is counterpoised by the warmth of the sun. I hear the whir of water rushing from the ocean in the background accompanied by the distant quacks of seagulls. I can smell the scent of sweet bakery goods emanating from local food stands, which immediately elicits the taste of funnel cakes in my mind, which tastes like ...", etc.

Step #6: Try to speak from the first person, using the pronoun "I".

Step #7: Attempt to include taste and scent as often as possible, even with items you would not usually associate with those senses.

Step #8: Do not suppress or censor thoughts or descriptions, even if they are unpleasant or uncomfortable.

SCHEDULES
The author has written three schedules of increasing challenge. The author maintains it is critical to increase in accordance with the schedule since basic image streaming will become far too easy as intelligence builds.

(Translator note: Basic image streaming may be insufficiently challenging if your intelligence is already high. However, it is probably important to spend some minimal amount of time familiarizing yourself with basic image streaming anyway, as proficiency is necessary for the subsequent levels.)

The author restates her/his belief that image streaming is the quickest way to increase I.Q. up to 180, depending solely upon initial I.Q. levels.

The author warns the reader not to slack off in training or results will diminish.

Beginner schedule

1.) 45 minutes per session minimum

2.) At least five days per week

3.) More admonishment not to slack off

Intermediate schedule

The author recommends this schedule for those who wish to accelerate gains. who wish to "peak" for examinations or some other events for which peak performance is desirable. The author advises that this schedule isn't intended for year-round adherence since it require lots of effort and motivation; he also advises against disregarding this advice, which might lead to burnout and a resultant loss of gains.

1.) One hour per daily cumulation

2.) At least six days per week

3.) More admonishment to neither neglect training nor overtrain due to overzealousness; both will be detrimental to gains.

Advanced schedule

The author writes that this schedule should be reserved until several months of training is completed and this training is reinforced by earlier schedules.

Below are new features of image streaming:

1.) With eyes open

2.) With your "inner voice", bypassing the need to verbalize descriptions. The author points out that words are limited to speeds much slower than the rate of non-verbal awareness, and the aim is to surpass the subvocalization threshold (Translator note: of about 1200/wpm), which is suitable at this point as competency at and fluency of image streaming will have increased from prior training. The author writes this will easily quadruple image streaming rates. Only "understand" the features of your descriptions, don't describe them verbally.

3.) Alternate between verbalizing and acknowledgment throughout each session.

4.) Incorporate physical movement of objects in descriptions now

5.) Try to envision yourself as these aspects; fully immerse yourself in these features

The author believes at this point the reader is adequately prepared to perform image streaming during other activities and for longer than an hour without negatively impacting gains. The author recommends three months of beginner and/or intermediate image streaming first, else the reader won't be able to describe fast enough for this schedule and version to be effective.

What To Expect

Here the author expounds on the theoretically boundless potential for raising I.Q.

The author lists the following as the common effects of the beginners schedule:

1.) Increased ability to construct ideas and extract meaning intuitively

2.) Improved reading speed and better comprehension

3.) Greater intellectual curiosity

4.) Improved visualization

5.) Increased attention span

The author asserts at the 2-8 month range the reader should experience:

1.) Greater overall problem solving ability

2.) Manifestation of creativity

3.) Diversification of intellectual interests

4.) Acquisition of a strong visual, or "photographic", memory

5.) More thorough learning

6.) Stronger rebuttals

7.) More complex and unique ideas

8.) Fluidity and harmony of thoughts

9.) Qualitative difference in dreams

10.) Altered perception of time

The author hold the useful benefits appear in months 2-8, but that one mind begins to merit "genius-like" characteristics at 8-12 months:

1.) Constant presentation of "convoluted" abstraction in the mind

2.) Exceptional recall abilities

3.) Exceptional concept formulations

4.) Exceptional ease to build complicated arguments

5.) Consistently pleasurable mental states

Negative Situations And What To Do If They Occur

The author warns of possible adversities:

1.) Personality changes primarily due to the constant bombardment of ideas

2.) Excessively original ideas that oppose convention

3.) The presentation of sufficiently complicated ideas that one might have difficulties expressing them in conversation

4.) Image streaming before bed alters brainwave patterns and may disrupt normal sleep

(Translator note: Take heed to this one. I have REM behavior disorder (i.e., I talk in my sleep and act out dreams due to a lack of atonia.); I began brief (~3 mins. avg.) sleepwalking stints on very rare occasion, though with increasing frequency, after the third month whereas I had never sleepwalked before. This probably isn't normal and probably won't happen for most persons with normal sleep atonia; but it is noteworthy for just in case.)

5.) Maintenance is required to remain at peak levels

Quantum Wave Streaming

The author explains that quantum wave streaming (QWS) is like advanced image streaming except the aim is to link your internal reality with their direct and indirect external triggers.

1.) QWS is performed with eyes opened.

2.) Relax as though attempting to daydream

3.) Remain aware of external reality and focus on some smaller objects at first

4.) Focus on the minutiae of these objects, describing aloud the qualities as done in basic image streaming

5.) Continue this as a warm-up for five minutes

6.) Once the warm up is complete, continue to describe object of consensus reality while watching for thoughts which are prompted by your descriptions. It is important not to force or encourage thoughts, but rather to wait for their extemporaneous appearance

7.) Once an unconscious thought develops in the mind, properly describe it as in normal sessions. After you are done, return to describing external objects. In this section, the act of describing external objects is referred to as "quantum wave streaming"; the act of describing internal objects is referred to as "image streaming". The prescribed order should be an alternating succession between one complete image stream and one quantum wave stream (e.g., a.) describe an object; b.) wait for a thought to appear; c.) completely describe only that thought; d.) return to step (a)

End of Technique

SCHEDULES

The author reiterates his recommendation of developing proficiency at image streaming before attempting quantum wave streaming.

The author only describes an advanced schedule, which consists of 5-7 days per week; 20 minutes to an hour (with at least five minute breaks every twenty minutes).

(End excerpts)

FYI, there are some theories that image streaming possibly "discharges", and effectively
integrates, thoughts from the shadow into the ego (in Freudian terms), that would usually be repressed or go unnoticed - a phenomenon usually considered highly desirable in some psychotherapeutic circles.

Happy reading. :)

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

Sep 26, 2013, 1:37:05 AM9/26/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
"brandon do you know anything about brainwawe technology and its effects on human intellegence"

Yes, I do. :) Take care.

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

Sep 26, 2013, 1:43:30 AM9/26/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Kidding about that last post.

Is there anything in particular about brainwave technology and its effect on human intelligence that you'd wish to learn? I have a very basic working knowledge, and depending on the parameters of your question, it might be better directed toward someone more knowledgeable. In any case, I will try to help.

--Brandon

Jelani Sims

Sep 26, 2013, 2:01:38 AM9/26/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
This is all very interesting, considering not many days ago I was spending quite some time researching visualization meditation.
It's also quite interesting how the anecdotal benefits of image streaming, are so similar to the documented benefits of meditation. Leading me to think you could consider it as a form of meditation in sense.

However my initial lack of results should not be discounted, regardless I'm willing to attempt it again with greater intensity.
If my quantified mind scores don't change then I suffer no loss (except time).

rgpddt

Sep 26, 2013, 3:40:09 AM9/26/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Great posts as usual, Brandon! Somehow you always manage to get me hyped.

The author lists a quite, one could even say suspiciously, impressive string of benefits. Based on your own personal experiences as a long-time practitioner, which of these would you confirm or refute?

Brandon Woodson

Sep 26, 2013, 1:33:25 PM9/26/13
I'm glad someone finds them useful. :)

The guide partitions the benefits into three categories which roughly depend on the amount of practice: 0-2 months; 2-8 months; and 8 months and 12 months (and possibly beyond).

I've practiced a few months at a time; rarely beyond three or four consecutively. This amount of experience would place me in the first and second categories during any given period of active practice. Intelligence gains are hard to quantify without actually quantifying, so I can't speak about them yet; but changes in functional intelligence are easy to spot. The first two categories are fairly consistent with my experiences except (10) of the second category. There was no altered perception of time.

Also, there was improvement in visualization ability, but I wouldn't call it a "photographic memory", which conjures notions of romanticism in the popular imagination.

The most prominent change was the "flashes of insight" - lots and lots of Aha! moments. They continued to gain in momentum and depth of insight. There was a point where the appearances of these ideas started to vastly outnumber any potential number of implementations that could be exhausted in one lifetime.

Also, crafting logical arguments and evaluating the merit of ideas became nearly automatic and instantaneous. There too would be more ideas that appear in a instance and take forever to properly articulate.

Recall was sharper as well, but perhaps in a more mnemonics-enhanced type of way rather than an increased focus or WM way. In everyday life, long-term memories in most people are the products of Pavlovian conditioning. Inasmuch as I can tell, this is largely responsible for our ability to learn in general.

Classic mnemonics exploit the associative nature (i.e., the Pavlovian susceptibility) of the mind through episodic memory. Quantum wave streaming a.) makes one aware the subtle influx of internal sensations and b.) fosters awareness of the external and/or internal stimuli which invariably (and necessarily) precede those sensations. So in contrast to the confinement of classic mnemonics to visual elements in a spatial setting, QWS uses visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, and gustatory elements linked to a spatial setting, which are slightly more natural because these sensations aren't artificial crafted, and are already occurring anyway. We're simply shedding the light of persistent conscious awareness onto the concurrences for recall purposes, which itself becomes a mental operation subject to the same Pavlovian conditioning. Though I will admit that it is rather strange having the chance occasions where a random taste is unexpectedly impressed upon the consciousness because it was associated with some other thought!

Of course, my mind naturally ruminates and wanders without training, but does even moreso with image streaming. Because of that I can't say what it would do for anyone else. And as to whether the superb claims of 8-12 month category are true, I couldn't tell you that either - yet. :)

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

Sep 26, 2013, 1:22:49 PM9/26/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
It's hard to monitor and think simultaneously or in rapid succession. It's like pushing and pulling at the same time, and I don't think the two actions usually occur at the same time. Image streaming seems like an eclectic meditation where mindfulness meets concentration.

And if anything, your account of non-positive gain has conferred some level of personal dubiety to counterbalance my optimism, which has encourage a recent interest in a more methodical approach.

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

Sep 26, 2013, 1:30:45 PM9/26/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

Patrick Larmann

Sep 27, 2013, 4:06:27 PM9/27/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello Brandon,
I wanted to ask you if you knew if what this reviewers claims actually holds any truth to it?
This review is from: The Einstein Factor: A Proven New Method for Increasing Your Intelligence (Paperback)
I once read a review on the Bowflex that said that the key to producing fantastic results with it was to NOT use it in the manner suggested by the vendor.

I don't know if that was true of the Bowflex (never bought one) but it is almost certainly true of The Einstein Factor. Win Wenger has discovered one of the most formidable methods for improving human intellegence and HE DOESN'T EVEN REALIZE WHY IT WORKS!

To understand what I'm saying you have to understand what image streaming is. Wenger thinks it's a way to unlock hidden mental processes buried within the unconscious that the average person has "learned" over the course of growing up to shut out of his awareness. This could be true, but I haven't made it work.

What I have experienced with image streaming is this:

Imagine a virtual reality device that allowed you to totally immerse yourself in any environment or any combination of environmental elements that you have ever experienced. Imagine that these environments involved ALL FIVE OF YOUR SENSES. Imagine that the reproduction of these environments was so complete, convincing, and compelling that you might even need to turn off the device from time to time in order to remind yourself of which was the real world (no this ain't the Matrix). Now imagine that you already carry around such a device with you all the time and all you need is the instruction booklet on how to turn it on.

The device does exist. It's your brain. And the instruction booklet also exists. It's "The Einsten Factor." Or rather it should have been "The Einstein Factor" and would have been "The Einstein Factor" had Wenger not been so focused on unlocking subconscious potentials as a road to genius. I'm not saying that those subconscious powers don't exist. I'm just saying that I believe the true power of image streaming lies not in hidden messages from the unconscious mind, but in the virtual reality capabilities of the your image stream. And in order to use them you have to do what Wenger specifically instructs you not to do, learn to control your image stream. To elaborate you have to learn to gain as much or as little control over your image stream as you wish at any given moment. Once you do will have in your possession the device of which I speak and you will also have the ability to still use image streaming in the way that Wenger suggests.

Although I haven't mastered it yet, I have gained a measure of control over my image stream. I can use it as Wenger suggests or I can drop an order into my image stream, which will then serve up what I have asked for in the most minute detail as if I were really experiencing it. I have image streamed places that I have been to and have had to open my eyes and sit up off the bed in order to remind myself that I wasn't really there. I have image streamed places no human being has been to and have had to quit a session of image streaming for fear of forgetting what was real and what was not. I have image streamed my living room and walked around it picking up various items WITH MY EYES CLOSED AND BLINDFOLDED functioning properly as if I had them open and unencumbered.

Think about that for a moment.

What does that mean? It means my image stream somehow reproduced in every detectable detail what I would have seen had I had my eyes. And I do mean every detectable detail in ALL FIVE SENSES.

What could you do with a device like that?

My only problem with this book is Wenger's obscession with supposed unconscious resources and the misnomer "image streaming."

Sorry for the long text!

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Sep 28, 2013, 2:27:42 PM9/28/13
to brain-training
1 interesting question about image streaming;

lets imagine two persons one of them does image stream 20 min per day and one does 1 hour a day.

here is my question we know 1 hour of image stream gets 0.9 iq is other guy first guy gets 0.9 or it doesnt.i mean do you have to do 1 hour in ones or can you break in parts

thanks for any help

RH W

Sep 29, 2013, 6:59:01 AM9/29/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
"we know 1 hour of image stream gets 0.9 iq"

We don't actually know that - the one so-called 'scientific' trial was flawed in several fatal ways. Read the descriptions of how the tests were done carefully, and also note that it was done not by someone experienced in psychological testing, but rather a chemist. I'll review it all again, and report back (over they years, I've made this comment a number of times on a number of fora, and still afaik, Wenger hasn't had his 'result' replicated, neither by his associate, nor by anyone else.

Very, very unconvincing. As far as know, only this one trial was ever done to establish a correlation between Image Streaming and IQ.

Not proven IMHO.

Nevertheless image streaming looks interesting, and the anecdotal report cited above about the 'lucid dreaming' simulation aspect of it looks worthwhile even if there is no IQ effect at all.

Brandon Woodson

Sep 29, 2013, 2:34:02 PM9/29/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Patrick.

Sorry that I've been M.I.A. Lots of things going on at the moment.

As is the case with some forms of meditation and some visualization exercises, image streaming is an immersive exercise, and it can be expected that it might be more realistic for sensitive persons. It seems the visual "realism" is especially heightened with basic image streaming, which is one of its advantages over some variants. I have seen many reports of sharper visualizations following long periods of image streaming.

I don't fully agree with the characterization of image streaming as a pure visualization exercise - though as RH W pointed out, lucid dreaming, or virtual world simulations, may be valuable in their own rights. To fully benefit from image streaming, I believe the individual should incorporate all the sensory modalities *and* as many associations as possible. I also support Mr. Wenger with respect to the notion that further consolidation of conscious and unconscious resources is utmost paramount.

According to Piaget, the "first proper intelligence" is found in Stage 1.4 of his theory of cognitive development - i.e., the coordination of secondary circular reaction phase - when a child begins reasoning causation and intends to enact upon her/his environment. This was believed by the same to mark the first point in the child's life in which s/he recognizes cause and effect and acts upon it - the development of intentionality.

Prior to this, in the earlier substages of sensorimotor development, the infant must recognize coincidence among the discursion of context. For example, when learns the qualities of her/his mother's voice, s/he does so - not merely among the influx of stimuli coursing through the aural channels - but everything else internal and external that may be perceived at the same time. This doesn't speak for the complexity added by the fact that this "everything else" is subject to change to some extent each time s/he perceives the simultaneous presence of the mother and her voice. Imagine the complication in creating this one link. This can be respectably likened to the metaphor.

The very same skill is necessary to develop language. Words - with respect to their phonological and graphemic qualities - are devoid of meaning in and of themselves; they are instruments to refer to physical objects of the real world and their imaginary quasi-physical counterparts, their actions, properties of the objects and actions, and the properties among properties ad infinitum.

For the functioning of language to endure, the mind necessarily demands the capacity for metaphor. The ability to create likeness from distinctiveness, to draw parallels. Without this, it is not possible further recognize the color "green" without the accompaniment of all the other stimuli which the subconscious perceived at the time of green's linguistic conception - or for our recognition to be context-independent or domain-general. Even with the nearly infinite number of ways we can use language, the mind can comprehend each word in this sentence and many other contexts semantically without necessitating what is impossible - the simultaneous presence of the historical context in which each individual word was conceived.

All concepts need to be assimilated in this manner, and this assimilation can be called apperception. Any discontinuity between rudimentary abstraction (e.g., the link between the word "mother" and the woman to which it actually refers) and more highly complex ones on which the former are built hierarchically (i.e., ones that build on high-level abstraction with no immediate physical or quasi-physical bearing), and meaning is lost. True learning cannot occur without the precedence of prerequisite skills metaphorically grounded. Through rote memorization, a child without any grasp for numeracy can learn that "2 + 3 = 5" by memorizing the graphemic structure "2 + 3 = 5" (or by doing the same phonologically, or even doing both) without knowing how to count or what a number is, and knowing precisely what the equation means. Needless to say, this isn't deep learning. Unfortunately, this is the type of learning that all too commonly pervades modern schooling (just usually with more complex material).

Look into image schema. Most people use them constantly when they think without realization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_schema

Interestingly enough, philosopher Immanuel Kant developed and applied his own system of schema in his attempt to develop a transcendental schemata in Critique of Pure Reason; this same understanding became blatantly apparent to me independent of Kant's work through image streaming on all forms of thought while thinking, and I suspect it will do the exact same for many others - it will stretch the boundaries and awareness of one's universe of conceptual understanding respective to their current standings - it will encourage true apperception. Also, identification of image schema through the deep and perspicacious introspection is nearly an inevitability with such repetition, as is the integration of this identification by the unconscious mind for use in one's cognitive maturation.

Eventually, the supply of "stock" memories will run dry, and the mind may draw from "suppressed" material. And that ties into the matter of image streaming and its uncanny resemblance to hailed techniques of Transpersonal Psychology, but that's an entirely different subject for another time.

I guess it's my turn to apologize for the long post(s). :)

--Brandon

P.S. I don't recommend the use of closed-eye image streaming while wandering about one's actual physical environment, but of course that is a choice entirely up to individual discretion. :)

Brandon Woodson

Sep 29, 2013, 2:42:30 PM9/29/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
[...]

+1.

There is a comparison made between rates of I.Q. improvement in the linked study and a presumed earlier study, which of course implies the existence of an earlier study. I wander why that one wasn't published - especially if it rendered positive results. Curious situation.

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

Sep 29, 2013, 2:59:47 PM9/29/13
If we firmly established a rate, we'd have to then establish that the quality of image streaming sessions didn't alter with duration. If there was any change, it's possible that either smaller or larger durations would be more or less effective, and that our once secure rate isn't so secure anymore.

To illustrate, think ten-hour days at a meditation retreat. It's possible that a week (or seventy hours) condensed into a week yields qualitatively (and by effect quantitatively) different results than an hour per day over seventy days.

We'd have to figure out the nature of the change, and that still might not speak for individualistic considerations.

--Brandon

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Oct 5, 2013, 1:01:16 PM10/5/13
to brain-training
most of the time my image stream is about places i have been is it okay if i discribe these

Patrick Larmann

Oct 5, 2013, 5:22:56 PM10/5/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
He John,
I have noticed the same thing. I think that is actually the purpose, as your unconscious is producing image formed through your experiences, beliefs, etc. I would think that is a good thing, but just a man's opinion.

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Oct 5, 2013, 5:34:28 PM10/5/13
to brain-training
yes patrick sometimes i remember things that i forgot like places or persons might increase memory and creativity does it happens to you as well

jotaro

Oct 6, 2013, 5:13:59 AM10/6/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
well it is easier to use places your remember then construct novel places from zero...
for example in familiar places the detail level will be immense and ready to use without effort.
while novel places will require time to build , energy and their level of detail will be smaller.
so i think stick to similar places and do novel activities in them?
umm but if u spontaneously come with a novel place, dont stop yourself!

Brandon Woodson

Oct 6, 2013, 10:49:24 AM10/6/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Old, forgotten memories appear often during basic image-streaming sessions. If you aren't directing or intervening with the process, you may get some unusual and valuable content from the unconscious mind. If for some reason it is difficult to avoid this intervention, your mind may shifting into an image-streaming "mode", and have a distinguished and exhaustible set of patently inane thoughts it provides only during image streaming and doesn't normally process in daily life.

Under cursory inspection, one could argue this is desirable under the mistaken notion that this is content generally inaccessible by the conscious mind; a notion not necessarily true for the reason mentioned above. I.e, if your mind is simply going through the motions, you may frequently revisit scenes from previous sessions that don't actually hold any significance, but that the unconscious mind feeds you when it's time to image stream out of habit or of apathy or reluctance toward the whole ordeal of probing the mind in the first place.

In such case, image streaming as a psycho-therapeutic tool might become less useful than if it were deconstructing "repressed" content - or even perfectly accessible content from everyday cognition that is sometimes so poignant and ephemeral that it nearly instantaneously disengages the rational mind, thereby evading honest scrutiny (and often for the worse, since this is often material in most dire need of reflection).

Where image streaming is drawing from the obscurities of the unconscious, no issues; the challenge lies in distinguishing when it isn't. For remediation of the latter, quantum wave streaming is more indemnifying in the sense that it is far more challenging for the mind to maintain any self-protective facades or blockades in the frantic and distracting hustle and bustle of normal thinking. This is also where one can find the most candid and earnest portraits of self-reflection, less tainted by well-intended interests of the unconscious to shield the mind from itself.

Nevertheless, what ought be first ought be first; image streaming is useful for mind development so that quantum wave streaming is possible.

--Brandon

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Oct 6, 2013, 11:29:09 AM10/6/13
to brain-training
these things i didnt understand can you explain to me;

4/ Image streaming can’t be performed before bedtime because the changes in brain wave patterns during image streaming will not create the brain wave disposition necessary for sleep.

5/ Your intelligence will gradually decrease, and at an increasing rate, if you do not continue to exercise your mind with image streaming.

Daniel Thomson

Oct 7, 2013, 5:58:22 AM10/7/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I recommend adding different and or more senses into the mix (more than just stale images).

Let's call it "perception streaming". Time to play your very own dynamic and ever-evolving movie using nothing but your minds eye!

:D

Patrick Larmann

Oct 7, 2013, 10:32:53 AM10/7/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I was wondering if vipassana meditation and image streaming are related?

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:50:30 PM UTC-4, john wrote:
i just want to learn about image streaming

thanks :)

Patrick Larmann

Oct 8, 2013, 2:27:53 PM10/8/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have about two months until I leave to join our nation's finest. Would meditation(Specifically vipassana) or image streaming be more effective short term.
Also, can image streaming be done using our inner voice?
Sincerely,
Patrick

Brandon Woodson

Oct 9, 2013, 12:04:12 PM10/9/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Semper fortis, (future) Marine.

To my knowledge, there is presently no sound method to determine whether vipassana or image streaming is more effective for what I will only assume is an endeavor to increase intelligence or some aspect thereof given the sparsely detailed parameters. This is due to the lack of substantiating documentation on image streaming.

Image streaming can be done using the "inner voice", but it is the position of the author(s) of The Complete Guide for Genius, which I'd endorse based on personal experience, that "advanced" image streaming, or image streaming without verbalization, should be pursued as an objective only after proficiency is attained in basic image streaming. For this purpose, the guide recommends about several months of verbalized image streaming beforehand, and that neither be used exclusively at any level of proficiency.

As far as the two practices being related - they are nearly as related as they are differentiated. A noteworthy feature of both vipassana and image streaming is what is also inclusive to all meditations (which require the unyielding voluntary maintenance of both procedural and declarative information in the working memory against the relentlessness of distractions) - the deliberate act of "witnessing" thoughts.

Discard that similarity of uninterrupted metacognition, and meaningful perception of valence is lost too; it's like comparing apples and oranges from that point.

--Brandon

Jelani Sims

Oct 9, 2013, 1:06:43 PM10/9/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
If Intelligence is your goal I wouldn't be aiming for vipassana. You want samadhi which is concentration meditation.

Patrick Larmann

Oct 10, 2013, 10:57:11 AM10/10/13
Hello guys,
Thank you for your responses. My goal is not to increase intelligence, at least not fluid intelligence, as I believe based on the numerous studies I have read comparing IQs of identical twins, that our IQ, with regard to fluid intelligence, are largely genetically determined, but rather increase my creative thought with regard of examining a problem from multiple perspectives and synthesize those thoughts. I started vipassana, because there was a study conducted by Leiden University in Holland, in which they discovered that open monitoring meditation lead to increases in divergent thinking.
End of Blur.
P.S: Brandon, Semper Fortis is actually the unofficial motto of the U.S Navy. Even though the marines are part of the Department of the Navy, they like to distinguish themselves. Marines say Semper Fidelis. I will be actually joining the U.S Air Force.

Brandon Woodson

Oct 16, 2013, 2:00:21 PM10/16/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I didn't catch the post edit in my email.

I currently am a Sailor, which is why I greeted with Semper Fortis - which, while an unofficially adopted motto of the officially "motto-less" U.S. Navy, intuitively fits as the natural equivalent of the Marine's official motto, Semper Fi(delis), given the identical penultimate word of both phrases. I mistakenly assumed "nation's finest" was a reference to the Marine Corps.

A more appropriate revision of that greeting might be: Semper Fortis, (future) Airman. :) In any case, good luck.

--Brandon

dasp...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 4:23:52 PM10/16/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

I want a copy too!

Thanks! :)

Mike Morg

Oct 17, 2013, 7:52:21 PM10/17/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Brandon, may i have a copy through email? (mikem...@yahoo.com). If you can send me one i really really appreciate it man. Also this image streaming phenomenon seems interesting but before reading anything is there any kind of video i can watch on it?

Mike Morg

Oct 17, 2013, 8:34:43 PM10/17/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

I have a couple questions about image streaming:

"Have a live listener or tape recorder with you"
-Why? Why do you need a take recorder with you while doing this? The author doesn't specify.

-Another question is what is the convention for results in image streaming. Is it 30 minutes a day everyday? I remember the nominal convention for Dnb was 20 days, 30 minutes a day and you'll see results.

Brandon Woodson

Oct 18, 2013, 12:38:18 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I posted a paraphrased version of the image streaming section of The Complete Guide to Genius; this way no one seeking access to the contents therein has to risk copyright infringement, and liability of criminal prosecution, in the process.

If you are adamant about obtaining an unadulterated copy, I've seen hotlinks to servers which allow direct download of .pdf versions of the book scattered about forums recently, but am struggling to recall precisely where I encountered them; also, there is an abundance of torrent sites which offer the book for an exceptionally nominal fee. :)

I am unaware of any videos, except a few YouTube videos which provide little more information than that available in written form from Wenger's site (e.g., basic image streaming instructions).

Wenger never expressly states the purpose of the tape recorder or live listener on his image streaming page. There may be several purposes, but one tenable explanation might be that the recorder (or listener) serves as a functional substitute for mindfulness. The scope of attention tends to attenuate in most people when they focus intently on something; this can sometimes result in preventable lapses in judgement and make problems appear more intractable than it would be to someone else whose attention on the matter is less restricted.

Also, it may be important to consider that, as a general rule, the more complex any system, the more feedback that is needed to intelligently comprehend that system and thus interact efficiently with it. For the same purpose that I presume it is used in image streaming, Wenger also capitalizes on this principle of feedback in a process which he terms "improvitaping", which is musical improvisation with feedback via an audio recorder. I'm an amateur musician who has toyed with improvitaping some. And from my experiences, it works like a charm, pretty much the way he describes. It's remarkable how well the mind adapts to a task when given the "right" feedback. F.Y.I., I suspect the degree of utility from any given feedback might vary from individual to individual though, depending on their established conceptual hierarchies and learning preferences; ergo, in some instances, the "right" feedback may vary.

http://www.winwenger.com/archives/part13.htm

Scheduling convention depends on whom you ask. Win Wenger recommends 10-30 minutes daily; The Complete Guide to Genius recommends 30 minutes to an +1 hours depending on your specific goals and level of image-streaming proficiency. I believe that image streaming promotes sound observation, and should be used as often as possible. I envision, as a personal objective, a point where - like yogis who eventually attain a permanent state of "enlightenment" - image streaming/quantum wave streaming becomes an permanent and integral part of mental functioning.

--Brandon

Mike Morg

Oct 18, 2013, 1:28:01 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brandon, that was really insightful and it seems like you really incisively know about image-streaming. I want to ask though, when you do it do you have instances where as when you are describing something you then impetuously think of something different? At that moment are you suppose to transition and describe the new image you're seeing?

Mike Morg

Oct 18, 2013, 1:29:02 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Oh yea i also want to ask... Do you think 10 minutes a day would beget gains in IQ eventually.

Brandon Woodson

Oct 18, 2013, 4:17:29 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I think the answer lies in the phenomenon of the attention span and the purported effects of image streaming. If one tries to concentrate on any ordinary external object for a minute or so, invariably, the compulsion to drift onto other thoughts arises. But that would of course beg the question: what is responsible for the invading thoughts, if the individual is attempting to force her/his mind onto the ordinary object?

I believe image streaming helps one differentiate between the (at very least) two independently functioning "minds", whose mergence or cooperation should be an aim of image streaming. For that reason, precedence goes to the thought following a transition. (Otherwise, image streaming becomes a mere visualization exercise.) It's sort of like a mental game of "follow the leader", but with more complexity because we're at once pacing and describing the unguided thoughts while pacing the conscious mind as a descriptor. It's not an easy task, especially if one is describing fast enough to be adequately descriptive of all the content.

Image streaming should both a.) enliven conscious faculties, which are all too often atrophied after childhood and in a state of frequent disuse in adulthood; and b.) reinforce the flow of unconscious content through habituation - in the same way an apprentice gains an appreciation of, and an unintentional "eye" for, structural details through habituation to architectural work. (In this respect, (b) emphasizes an operative difference between image streaming and vipassana.)

Speaking of vipassana, some studies have shown 15 minutes per day to improve visual WM. Despite the similarities, I'm not sure if the same duration spent on image streaming (or 33% less, at 10 minutes per day) would suffice. Wenger asserts that it would, but I haven't tried myself.

Also, theoretical and anecdotal support notwithstanding, I.Q. increases can't presently be guaranteed at any duration. I hope to wrap up the neurofeedback experimentation in less than a week, so I can participate with anyone who wants to definitively measure the cognitive effects of image streaming.

--Brandon

Mike Morg

Oct 18, 2013, 4:33:13 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
What was/is the duration of your daily image stream session?

Brandon Woodson

Oct 18, 2013, 4:43:59 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Roughly an hour a day about a year or so ago. The quickest results always came with consistent quantum wave streaming throughout the day, but that's fairly exhausting in the long term. :)

--Brandon

Mike Morg

Oct 18, 2013, 4:57:03 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Can you please explain Quantum wave streaming laconically to me? If you can haha

Brandon Woodson

Oct 18, 2013, 5:59:30 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
xD. Sure.

Going out on a limb, I going to guess you've read and understand basic image streaming from Wenger's page, so we'll proceed from there.

Advanced image streaming is same except the acknowledgement is done non-verbally (e.g., you recognize an apple is green rather than state it aloud and verbally). Descriptions are more rapid because one needn't take the time to verbalize.

Both variants of image streaming describe only the features of internal stimuli. Quantum wave streaming (QWS) adds external stimuli as well, so (almost) all elements of thought are subjugated by the image streaming process.

Basic image streaming *isn't* done with opened eyes; advanced image streaming *can be* done with opened eyes; QWS *is* done with opened eyes. Also, QWS can be performed verbally and non-verbally, and it's recommended to alternate between them.

I tweaked quantum wave streaming so that it includes mental operations (processes in contrast to mere static objects and their actions), motor activities, and emotions (emotions are ineffable) as well, so the entire constellation of perceivable mental phenomena are subjugated by the image streaming process.

With QWS, I'd speculate one can achieve the state of constant witnessing (such as that described by Ouspensky) quicker than with traditional meditation. To get a clearer picture, think zen meditation meets classic mnemonics meets freewriting, but perhaps easier and much more effective.

--Brandon

dasp...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2013, 10:08:52 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

Mike Morg

Oct 18, 2013, 10:17:36 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
This is pretty much every single thing that Brandon explained to me before in his inquiries...Of course if this isn't him himself in the video

dasp...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2013, 11:59:54 PM10/18/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

 yeah, i totally agree with u Mike.Well done Brandon.:). but is it even possible to increase our iq 40 points ?

Patrick Larmann

Oct 19, 2013, 12:58:19 AM10/19/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Mike Morg

Oct 19, 2013, 9:09:14 AM10/19/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha. And yea i mean my first impression of the very thought of even increasing it by anything is that its bogus and far-fetched, but when you have Wegner, a doctor (Ph.d), and Brandon, a well spoken & keen advocate, it really gives me enough hope to attempt image-streaming. My hope is that im doing it right and that ill ultimately obtain some cognitive benefit from it. Im hoping that the benefit be within the realm of shapes, i'd like to have a high acuity for tests i struggle on such as the "finding the odd one out" and "how many triangles are in here" - pretty much Cattel-Fair test questions. Then when i take my IQ test scheduled for December i can achieve a high score on the PRI part of the test.

Mike Morg

Oct 20, 2013, 12:02:23 AM10/20/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Im wondering the fact that image streaming works potently on your sub-conscious and you being aware of it - if this gives you the ability to subconsciously inherit information while you're asleep.

Brandon Woodson

Oct 26, 2013, 11:41:04 PM10/26/13
@Patrick Larmann: No problem. :)

@dasp7455: Forty points seems like a stretch of the imagination, but I don't know precisely what the limits are. If 30 points were achieved in some isolated cases, who knows? It is certainly likely that the mind would be more capable in terms of speediness and complexity of thought, much like a chess player learns what a "discovery check" or a "pin" is, and can integrate them into her/his automatic processes so that s/he can almost instantaneously setup "chunked" patterns in the same way more amateurish players chunk solitary moves. The exception here is the "moves" are domain-general operations.

--Brandon

Ogulcan Canbazoglu

Dec 2, 2013, 11:08:46 AM12/2/13
to brain-training
can we do image stream with our inner voice

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Brandon Woodson <bmwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
@Patrick Larmann: No problem. :)

@dasp7455: Forty points seems like a stretch of the imagination, but I don't know precisely what the limits are. If 30 points were achieved in some isolated cases, who knows? It is certainly likely that the mind would be more capable in terms of speediness and complexity of thought, much like a chess player learns what a "discovery check" or a "pin" is, and can integrate them into his automatic processes so that s/he can almost instantaneously setup "chunked" patterns in the same way more amateurish players chunk solitary moves. The exception here is the "moves" are domain-general operations.

--Brandon

MR

Brandon Woodson

May 8, 2014, 6:36:23 PM5/8/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi, M -

Apologies for the late reply. I have a feeling that my response to any future posts in this thread - or the ML, period - might be considerably delayed for a while since my computer access and spare time will be sparse for some time to come.

"I was curious to see if you had maintained your regular practice."

No - not currently. I have been career training for the past month or so; however, the job I just started affords one major benefit: a great deal of time, which (due to the nature of the work) cannot be squandered, but which simultaneously can allow me to image stream nearly all day.

"If so, have your thoughts regarding the benefits of image streaming (including the advanced variations) changed at all?"

Short answer: no, not really - especially for the version which also describes logical relationships.

Mind you, my focus has shifted moreso to the ontological categories which house the sensory impressions, rather than the impressions themselves. Though, all descriptions are important.

I have learned recently that the ancient (not modern) Hebrew alphabet was actually designed (or re-purposed shortly after its inception by early Hebrew mystics) with this idea in mind (i.e., to capture, enumerate, formalize, and manipulate what is essentially the most basic elements of human cognition); and that some of the "mystery schools", Egyptian and otherwise, have already seized on the most of the very same ideas that inspired my proposed revisions of the image-streaming technique in some of their more arcane teachings. Further digging uncovered that similar exercises - highly obscure may they be - are claimed by "reputable" initiates and pundits of these traditions to work for the purposes I earlier predicted, *at least* as well as originally thought. But I can't corroborate this with full personal endorsement beyond stating my tentative belief until I have tested it to satisfaction for myself.

Things look extremely promising, but there may be a downside: it is possible that the level of mastery needed to make it work will be more than most (including myself) will be ultimately willing to invest. The journey to capacity to perfectly execute the advanced image-streaming technique around the clock is much like trying to become a Yogic master; it ain't easy! It should be understood why it might be hard to say how much work will pan out how much reward: everything is just too experimental right now.

I don't have any specific timeline at the moment, given how fiendishly difficult it is to truly master the most advanced variant of image streaming, and how many failures I anticipate encountering in the process. But once, if successful, I do, I'll report back.

Take care.

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

May 8, 2014, 6:39:32 PM5/8/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Disregard that first sentence. I am sorting through about a month's worth of unread email, and mistook the date (for a much earlier date) of the post immediately prior to my last post.

--Brandon

MR

May 9, 2014, 10:50:33 AM5/9/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick reply Brandon. Fascinating as always.
Have you noted any loss of gains now that you've stopped practicing?

Rotem Segev

May 9, 2014, 3:02:19 PM5/9/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brandon,
Does the logical connections Image streaming variant appear in the Complete guide to genius or Win Wenger's book? I don't remember I saw it anywhere.

Thanks

Brandon Woodson

May 9, 2014, 3:07:17 PM5/9/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Yes and no.

Yes - in the speed and intensity of my thoughts, which return closer to baseline. Also, the unusually strong and pervasive feelings of mathematical beauty and mental fluidity and cohesion dissipate.

No - in a way that is more procedural and macro-managerial. Understanding how the mind works helps to effectively intervene in the mind's processes, which are otherwise mediated by habit.

The (human) thinking process merely consists of perceiving, objectifying those perceptions, then reasoning about those objectifications. Image streaming accelerates all three phases without waiting for them to occur haphazardly.

Personally, I have noticed all my thoughts are more amenable to objectification.

Imagine trying to discover algebra without having first known the integers (in some form or another). To further the analogy, the objectification benefit of image streaming's constant application is much like speeding the rate at which any given individual could discover those integers, and subsequently, algebra; you simply get better at converting rough products of ideation into polished gems. In some limited sense, image streaming is to communicable thought what formalization is to the abstract principles which privilege mathematics.

Even simply from the standpoint of better intellectual judgment, it's really quite hard to unlearn what has been already been learned about the nature of mentation, or to not have it color future thoughts, which I suppose (under normal circumstances) is always more or less permanent.

--Brandon

Brandon Woodson

May 9, 2014, 3:22:14 PM5/9/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
No. Wenger only instructs to describe objects using the five sensory modalities. And TCGFG, that plus the gist of semantic thoughts.

I believe that it is mentally hygienic to grow accustomed to the ontological categories by which we conceptualize all theoretically relevant thought in addition to the earlier prescriptions by Wenger and TCGFG - a conviction now sternly guided by the aforementioned research into early mysticism.

--Brandon

Illumination Studios

May 9, 2014, 3:53:42 PM5/9/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

Is there any chance you could share the resources you have discovered in your research into early mysticism? I'd also love to hear more about the techniques you are deriving. What you have been discussing is absolutely fascinating.

Thanks,
Tom

Brandon Woodson

May 9, 2014, 6:18:57 PM5/9/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
In discussing this I feel I must preface this post: this is *not* a promotion of the occult arts. I currently possess no reason to embrace the supernatural teachings of any kind. This is merely a gesture toward a more mundane interpretation of lost traditions, what I suspect may be a highly valuable resource for humanity, if workable, which modern science will ultimately come to accept.

I feel obligated to state as well that I do not buy into "the occult" - not out of fear of violating some deeply held and sacrosanct religious tenet, nor for concern of personal safety, but instead, in deference to a lack of convincing evidence to persuade even the slightest faith in the occult's overall verisimilitude.

The felt obligation also carries with it a need to prepare for the event that my tentative disbelief is misguided. As such is a real possibility, I believe that there is the chance that someone who encounters this thread might see vague elements of truth in any of the occult disciplines as a result of participating in this discourse, who might wish to explore more deeply and might risk serious personal injury. I can only attempt to dissuade any risky and impetuous experimentation, and won't be held accountable in any way, shape, or form for any mishaps incurred by anyone due to their own (known and/or unknown) ineptitude and/or recklessness. You have been warned!

"Is there any chance you could share the resources you have discovered in your research into early mysticism?"

Sure, it has seemed sensible, given just the TCGFG variant of quantum wave streaming alone for a while. But like many brainstormed ideas later discovered to be worthy of at least reasonable consideration, I regrettably discarded it temporarily - only to find the idea nagging from the back of my mind for some time thereafter.

A little while later, I found a similar recommendation by Scott Durgin, who qualified for the Giga Society, to what I had already proposed here on the ML as a possible modification to image streaming. That recommendation can be found in the essay at this link:

http://www.paulcooijmans.com/others/durgin/

With a bit more resolve, I looked more seriously at the idea. My blithely attempted distancing from this inkling (in favor of TCGFG variants) wasn't improved by the fact then I found a passage by renown occultist Aleister Crowley, who claimed that, bar none, of all the esoteric and mystical practices to his knowledge (from him, I take that to mean quite a bit), proficiency with the Qabalah (alternatively spelled outside of "esoteric" circles as "Kabbalah") best improves overall memory.

http://hermetic.com/crowley/magick-without-tears/mwt_04.html (much more descriptive)

So now, I am at two glowing recommendations, and a third, my own which is more valuable since I can understand why I perceived it a good idea in the first place. One promising improvement in memory, analysis skill, and mental organization; another involving making my "knowledge of effects seem trivial and well-ordered"; and another which naturally resulted from brainstorming and my own efforts with the TCGFG's variants of image streaming.

The culmination of these findings led to more and more research in the month prior to last month (during most of which I have been unable to seriously pursue these leads). So here I am, having studied a few more heavy resources on Qabalah, whose titles I won't bother revealing, but which can be very easily found by anyone with a computer, Internet connectivity, and a yearning desire to know.

One, particularly those averse to questionable and foreign spiritual practices for one reason or another, should bear in mind the obvious reasoning that no perceived resemblance of IS/QWS variants to any exercise heralding from any objectionable religion or philosophy should detract from whatever utility lies in IS/QWS's undogmatic application. Or the undogmatic application of any mental exercise for that matter!

I believe that, once the wheat is separated from the chaff, we might come to find some yet unrecognized value in the enigmatic teachings of those old sages of yester-millennia who devoutly surveyed the mind while us Westerners were just as busily studying external reality. It doesn't seem to me like the some of the newer revelations of modern science are too off-track from this expectation.

--Brandon

P.S. Man, this thread has grown.

Rotem Segev

May 10, 2014, 12:53:36 PM5/10/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I am very curious about the logical connections technique, as I remember a brain study that found strong correlation between intelligence and  the brain's strength of connectivity among its various sensory areas.
I was thinking about doing IS ("advanced" or regular), but for each image that comes to my mind - I find a logical connection to the previous ones. Even if there isn't any apparent connection, I force my mind to find it. (so even the connection itself comes from the subconscious). What are your thoughts about this Brandon? I wonder how much images and connections I can hold in my brain, so there's a WM loading involved maybe...?

Brandon Woodson

May 10, 2014, 11:36:57 PM5/10/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I think nearly all the experiences described and descriptions come from the unconscious mind. And somehow we just recreate the "energies" of that memory to elicit the desired response from the unconscious, then witness whatever comes up.

As for the logical connections, it is somewhat difficult to describe other than to mention that, when we image stream in the Wenger fashion, we are "analyzing" (decomposing) the concrete impressions of the mind with our "logical sense" then verbalizing. Since the descriptions are verbalized, they therefore are linguistic, and by definition, "logical". As do we analyze concrete impressions, we can analyze the logical makeup of the statements being used to describe the concrete impressions. The same principle applies to purely abstract (formless) thoughts of the variety that constitutes our reasoning, comprehension, and descriptions. If we wanted, we could characterize any form of IS/QWS mainly as "analysis practice".

Every single word of every phrase, whether the description of a bucolic landscape or the (formless) realization that one's mind has slipped from that landscape onto another thought, is semantically comprised of innumerably many logical relationships, if one cares enough to deconstruct each word, then its words, onward till satisfaction. Or one could even skip straight to the analysis of formless thoughts into their logical relationships without at all verbalizing them. Also, the relationships between disparate thoughts (to which I believe you alluded) is as good a target to describe as the intra-thought content.

Knowing what to do, we need something to do it with. The formalization of these relationships used in the verbalization process could be idiosyncratic or draw from any established set (e.g., the ancient Hebrew alphabet, or more modernly, Mark Johnson's list of image schema, which might be more needlessly complicated, or something along those lines).

Like our analyses of the concrete mental impressions in ordinary image streaming, where we make a judgement about how much detail to include, how far to take the analysis, we have to decide to what extent each image-streaming verbalization or formless thought will be deconstructed and where our efforts will be applied (since, compounded by the fact that sensory impression are contemporaneously being described, there are in many cases too many relationships to describe exhaustively). The scope of detail is discretionary.

If I had to blindly speculate, I would guess there would be some WM loading. But I currently have no way of knowing how much. Since there is some similarity of this exercise to what I understand is the gist of gist reasoning training, which is causing a stir in "brain-fitness" circles at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

--Brandon

Raagini Jm

Aug 27, 2014, 11:36:32 AM8/27/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com

Hi.

This is Raagini from India. I have been image streaming for the last 2 months for 50 minutes a day, and surprisingly, I haven’t seen any improvement in any of my abilities whatsoever and  reading testimonials and what others have gained by practising image streaming for quite a short period of time has managed to  discourage  me to the highest extent.  I can’t figure out how 2 months of practicing this technique has had no impact at all. The only thing that I left out during my practice sessions was having a live partner or recorder with me. But I described all my images to the best of my abilities in all of  these sessions. It is absolutely essential for me to increase my iq as this is a crucial year for me  and I would be ever grateful if you could help me out here, you are my only hope.

Thanks :)

jotaro

Aug 27, 2014, 7:08:37 PM8/27/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
"it is crucial for me to increase iq"
 well come to the ship . haha

Rotem Segev

Aug 28, 2014, 2:57:05 AM8/28/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, if it was easy to increase IQ everyone would have done it already.

Raagini Jm

Aug 28, 2014, 5:02:16 AM8/28/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Im not talking about increasing my iq by 1 point a day..Im just saying that ive easily done 20 hours of image streaming and got absolutely no gains.That wasn't easy for me.But im not complaining.I just want to know what changesi could  incorporate to get SOME gains like so many other people have got in less 2 weeks of practice.

jotaro

Aug 28, 2014, 7:47:16 AM8/28/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
many other people have got in less 2 weeks of practice.
you should give an example?
i never heard of them?
i think maybe brandon went over board a bit with his enthusiasm of image streaming?

Brandon Woodson

Aug 28, 2014, 9:20:29 AM8/28/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Raagini: Which variant of image streaming did you practice? How did you gauge progress?

jotaro: It's possible. I've learned a great deal from image streaming about the nature of cognition and my own idiosyncrasies, enabling me to wield unprecedented awareness and control over my mental processes and experientially identify with certain enigmatic notions about the mind that might not easily lend themselves to the untrained observer. That doesn't, however, imply that everyone should or will have the same success using image streaming. The cumulation of anecdotes I've seen on this ML suggesting null or insufficiently positive results, though woefully sparse in total size and detail, has grown - to my count outnumbering anything suggesting overall and worthwhile positive utility for anyone besides myself. Obviously, it might not be a useful time investment for some, if not all, if this emerges as the pervasive trend.

This might be as good a time as any (up to the present) to collect and compare anecdotes. As it pertains to the workability of these exercises, I'd hate for anyone to waste their time under a misguiding promise of attaining the unattainable.

--Brandon

Raagini Jm

Aug 28, 2014, 9:47:06 AM8/28/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Firstly, thanks for taking time off your busy schedule to respond to my post Brandon. Well, ive just been following the instructions that 'The complete guide to genius' had to offer. I also just started recording myself and realized that my descriptions aren't very detailed as my images aren't very vivid.This, i didn't realize when i just practiced by myself without a listener/recorder.I tried really hard these last few days to make my descriptions more detailed,but ,in vain.But this is how most people start off right?Is there anything i can do about this, or should i just quit practicing IS?Also, in these two months that ive been practicing i  always kept describing the same  people and same scenes over and over in my head because they were the only images that popped into my head.I never imagined something different altogether and tried to describe it.That, i started only recently, as a variation. Could you,if it isnt too much to ask, give me an example of one of your image streams? Could all these things that i've mentioned above be contributing factors for the lack of success of IS?
Any advice that you have to offer is welcome and truly appreciated.
Thanks.
:)
It is loading more messages.