Noticeable gains after N backing, meditation and juggling

karthik bm

Dec 31, 2013, 12:51:15 AM12/31/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I started dual n backing about 5months ago.After training for first 2 months, I took an IQ test and Iqtest.dk. My score was in low 120s.(took the test multiple times and got almost the same score each and every time)

For the next 3 months apart from n backing, I included meditation, image streaming and juggling into my schedule. Yesterday I took the same test at iqtest.dk and got the score as 133.

Real life gains so far after n backing:
1.I am able to read faster and better.
2.Coding skills have been improved greatly(I work as a Software Developer).I am able to draw flowcharts of complex flowcharts within my head. Before I used to write flowcharts on a paper.
3.My math skill has also improved.I gave the GRE recently and got 163 in math. I would have probably got a better score if I had slept properly for 2days.(I have a very unnatural circadian rythm, because of which I couldn't sleep for 2 days before the GRE)

I am not sure how much helpful is the increase in IQ score, But overall after n backing I have become a better person.

PS:I am currently working on D8B and Q5B.

dumbothelephant

Dec 31, 2013, 6:08:56 AM12/31/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
8 back ?? Thats really high.

I'm struggling to get past 3/4 back. How many months did it take you to get that far and how long did you train everyday ?

What was your initial performance on N-Back ?

karthik bm

Dec 31, 2013, 1:20:15 PM12/31/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
When I started DNB, I had no problem to reach D5B.But once I reached D5B, I plateaued for 2 months. After 2 months I reached D7B easily. It took me 3 more months to reach D9B.I managed to complete D9B with 70% accuracy 3 times. However I'm not able to consistently reach D9B.

I train for about 20-30mins everyday. With constant practice even you can reach D8B.

whoisbambam

Dec 31, 2013, 5:13:20 PM12/31/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
It is unlikely that DNB increases IQ in healthy individuals without underlying factors.

Altho it is nice to get excited about these kinds of things, it is important to realize that, to my knowledge, there is nothing on the planet earth that *really* improves IQ by any substantial amount for healthy individuals.

But by all means, please do continue to share and feel free to disagree, preferably with scientific substantiation

Happy New Year!!!

karthik bm

Dec 31, 2013, 9:47:29 PM12/31/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Whoisbambam, I really don't know whether my IQ has really increased. But I can say confidently that my working memory and concentration has improved drastically, because of which I have become a better planner and organizer. All in all, DNB has indeed been a life changer for me.

karthik bm

Dec 31, 2013, 9:49:59 PM12/31/13
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Btw, Happy New year to you too!

Heinstar

Jan 1, 2014, 1:49:43 AM1/1/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I've read many studies about the benefits of working memory training and mindfulness but is juggling really that beneficial? From what I understand, all it does is increase grey matter in motor part of the brain. Doesn't sports do the same?

I can already juggle 3 balls so I'm not sure if there's any point of me continuing to juggle.

karthik bm

Jan 1, 2014, 1:57:09 AM1/1/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Juggling is beneficial only if you are still learning it . Once mastered, I think it is pretty useless. In my case, it was the first time I tried juggling, hence it might have been beneficial.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jotaro

Jan 1, 2014, 3:09:24 AM1/1/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Whoisbambam, haha this is a repeating pattern some random dude claims
he made miracles with dnb then you come and say ,nothing on earth
increases iq always in the same way and the same words.
anyway planning and organizing isnt necessary means WM increase.
also if you scored 133 once and did 122 once before doesnt mean
iq increase aswell.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM, karthik bm <karthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Juggling is beneficial only if you are still learning it . Once mastered, I think it is pretty useless. In my case, it was the first time I tried juggling, hence it might have been beneficial.

karthik bm

Jan 1, 2014, 10:06:16 AM1/1/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
I have already mentioned that increase in IQ score might not really increase IQ.I don't care if you are not convinced that DNB was helpful. I just wanted to share something that i found extremely useful.

whoisbambam

Jan 2, 2014, 10:11:12 PM1/2/14
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
JokyBoy,

Ok, np, I wrote my opinion, and now you have written yours, and if they are not in alignment, it is of little consequence to either of us.......we are both content to believe what we wish.

If you would like to force your opinion, that is another matter.......