New here and I needed some help on getting brackets setup with my repo

Shoaib Khan

Jan 14, 2021, 10:23:52 AMJan 14
to Brackets-Dev
Hi Everyone!

I have been able to get brackets to connect to my forked and cloned repo, but when I launch the brackets app it defaults to a blank screen. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks,

Shoaib Kamal Khan

Paul Gureghian

Jan 14, 2021, 12:40:29 PMJan 14
to Brackets-Dev
Are you opening the right folder in Brackets ?

Paul Gureghian

PaulGu...@Gmail.com

Shoaib Khan

Jan 14, 2021, 12:50:43 PMJan 14
to Brackets-Dev
When I open Brackets I get a blank screen with index.html at the top. I have attached a screen shot of the window. The menu's are unresponsive. I have followed the following instructions, please advise:

Quick StartRequirementsSetting up your dev environment
  1. Install the latest Brackets build (this gives you the native shell binaries which you'll use in step 6)

  2. Fork the brackets repo

  3. Clone your fork of the repo: git clone https://github.com/<username>/brackets.git

  4. Fetch submodules: cd brackets and git submodule update --init

  5. Install npm dependencies: npm install

  6. Add an "upstream" remote: git remote add upstream https://github.com/adobe/brackets.git

  7. Run setup_for_hacking script:

    Mac
    tools/setup_for_hacking.sh "/Applications/Brackets.app"
    Windows
    tools\setup_for_hacking.bat "C:\Program Files (x86)\Brackets"
    (MUST be run in a Command Prompt started with "Run as Administrator". If you opened a new Command Prompt you might need to navigate back to the repository folder you cloned in step 3 with eg. cd C:/path/to/brackets).
    Linux
    sudo tools/setup_for_hacking.sh "/opt/brackets"

Now, when you launch the Brackets app it will load your git copy of the source code, rather than the original source code that was distributed with the installer. It will share the same preferences & set of installed extensions that a regular installed build would use.

Making changes is simple:

  1. Edit the source code and save your changes (you can even do this with Brackets)
  2. Choose Debug > Reload With Extensions to reload Brackets and pick up the changes. No build step is needed.

For more in-depth instructions see "Getting a Copy of the Code" below.

For hacking on the native code or building the app binaries yourself without running an installer, see "Hacking on brackets-shell" below.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 12.46.07 PM.png

Shoaib Khan

Jan 15, 2021, 4:02:47 PMJan 15
to Brackets-Dev
Anybody have any ideas? What do you think went wrong? The last thing I did was run the command for the hacking script:

Mac
tools/setup_for_hacking.sh "/Applications/Brackets.app"

If we can, I would love to setup a Zoom call and we can get it sorted.

Selim Zerelli

Mar 20, 2021, 10:48:16 AMMar 20
to Brackets-Dev
Good afternoon Khan,
Actually I am working also on the contribution to an open source that i choosed brackets for it, I am struggling also in starting the project maybe we can help each other if you are interested do not hesitate.
Moreover if you have fixed the problem and started working on it please feel free to share with me.
Thank you in advance and have a good day.
Cheers,