Re: [Sfpdiscuss] CORRECTED DATE: Time sensitive: Please urge your MP to attend this TUESDAY evening's screening of Anote's Ark - 6:30 pm, Ottawa, hosted by the All Party Climate Caucus

Lloyd Helferty

Dec 6, 2018, 10:58:45 AM12/6/18
to Rita, CANET, sfpdi...@listserv.physics.utoronto.ca, Dr. Peter Jones (OCADU), Karina D, Jon Love (Personal), David Burman (@web.ca), Satya Robinson [pachamama.org], Lyn Adamson, Bjørnar Egede-Nissen, julie.s...@utoronto.ca, Natalie Zend, Audrey Dépault, ke...@ci4s.org, CoSWoG - googlegroup, Biochar-Ontario, Climate Smart Food (CSF) Working Group - googlegroup, CBI (Canadian Biochar Initiative) [google], RNUPP (Google group), Biochar-R...@yahoogroups.ca, Members of GaiaPC

Thank you Rita,

 Perhaps this might also be an opportunity to have a timely discussion about a proposal for Canada @ COP24 that I had produced for a meeting that I had attempted to set up with Dr. Carolyn Bennett, who is now leading the Department of Crown-Indigenous Relations.

see:

https://cbennett.liberal.ca/page/contact/

Facebook: Carolyn Bennett, St. Paul’s

Twitter: @carolyn_bennett

Justice Building, Room 106

House of Commons

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0A6

Telephone: (613) 995-9666

 This document resulted from a conversation which began in mid-November between various Unify Toronto members related to this:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/43e8yp/the-uns-devastating-climate-change-report-was-too-optimistic

The UN's Devastating Climate Change Report Was Too Optimistic

The IPCC has been criticized for being "too alarmist. If anything, it is the opposite. With their latest report, they have been overly conservative.

I called the document, "Transforming Canada’s Approach to Climate Change and the Global Sustainable Development Agenda".

... but since we had so little time to take action I never did meet with Dr. Bennett... since I did first want to obtain as many co-signatories as possible (right now the document only has my own signature -- see page 15+).  :-(

CC: Dr. Peter Jones, Karina D., Jon Love, David Burman, Satya Robinson, Lyn Adamson , Bjørnar Egede-Nissen, Julie Saunders, Natalie Zend

CC also: Audrey Dépault | National Manager, the Climate Reality Project, Canada

Kevin Yang, Regional Organizer for Ontario, the Climate Reality Project, Canada

P.S. My own Member of Parliament for Markham—Thornhill is Many Ng:

http://maryngmp.ca/

Confederation Building
Room 461
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
K1A 0A6

See recent news: http://maryngmp.ca/news-nouvelles/aaniin-community-centre/

July 14, 2018

Markham, one of Canada’s most diverse communities, is guided by the motto “leading while remembering”.

This idea is reflected beautifully in the new and inclusive Aaniin Community Centre & Library. Aaniin means hello or welcome in Ojibwe. It is an honour to welcome and celebrate inclusiveness and diversity in my riding of Markham-Thornhill.

What a fantastic day celebrating the official opening of the #Aaniin Community Centre & Library alongside The Honourable Lieutenant General Liz Dowdeswell, my colleague MP Minister Jane Philpott, local MPP Logan Kanapathi, and Mayor Frank Scarpitti!

During the official opening, we were welcomed by two multimedia murals that represent the 7 Grandfather Teachings of humility, honesty, respect, bravery, wisdom, truth, love. We then listened to drummers Elmer Atlookan and Garnet Okeese while Leo Atlookan from Markham’s partners the Eabametoong First Nation danced.

http://maryngmp.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/1646/2018/07/c46f06d5-0705-4639-b5f1-dbd057d78890.mp4?_=1

CC's to: CANET (Climate Action Network)

  • Science for Peace (Discussion group)
  • Community Sustainability Working Group (CoSWoG) - googlegroup
  • Biochar-Ontario and CBI (Canadian Biochar Initiative) - googlegroups
  • Climate Smart Food (CSF) Working Group - googlegroup
  • Rouge National Urban Park Project (RNUPP) - googlegroup
  • Biochar-Remediation - yahoogroup
  • The Gaia Protection Committee (GaiaPC) - yahoogroup

Regards,

Lloyd Helferty, Executive Director
Resilient World Institute (RWI)
http://rwinstitute.ca/
5 Shields Court, Suite 108
Markham, Ontario, L3R 0G3
cell: 647-886-8754
Engineering Technologist &  Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
  www.biochar-consulting.ca
  System Leader and Sector Expert for the "Climate Smart" Platform
  & Project Development Director, Energime University
  http://energimeuniversity.org/
  A member of The Energime Family of Companies
  "Education, training, knowledge and empowerment for responsible environmental management and resource sustainability."
  Not-for-profit Tax Exempt Status: 501(3C) DLN 17053330310044
  lloydh...@energime.com
  48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
  905-707-8754
  Skype: lloyd.helferty
--
  Co-founder, CSF Consulting Group
  and Science for Peace (SfP) CoSWoG Climate Smart Food sub-Working Group (CSFWG)
  www.facebook.com/groups/climatesmartfood/
--
  Founder, "Future Farming" group
  http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Future-Farming-4815612
--
  Steering Committee coordinator, Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
  https://groups.google.com/d/forum/canadian-biochar-initiative
  http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
--
  Chair, Community Sustainability (CoSWoG), A working group of Science for Peace
  https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8413199
  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/coswog
--
  President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
  http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
  https://www.linkedin.com/groups/3329950
--
  Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
  http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475

"The best way to predict the future is to create it."​ - Willy Brandt
On 2018-12-06 8:53 AM, Rita wrote:
With my apologies for confusion in the previous email - this screening takes place this coming TUESDAY, December 11th.
Rita

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rita <rita....@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Time sensitive: Please urge your MP to attend this TUESDAY evening's screening of Anote's Ark - 6:30 pm, Ottawa, hosted by the All- Party Climate Caucus
Date: December 6, 2018 at 9:29:15 PM EST

Hello all,

 MP François Choquette (Drummond), Chair of the All-Party Climate Change Caucus, is hosting a screening, in the middle of COP 24, for all MPs of the film Anote’s Ark this coming

Tuesday, December 11, 6:30 pm
Room 228, The Valour Building / 151 Sparks St./ Ottawa / K1P 5E3

Please contact your MP and urge her/him to attend this coming TUESDAY's screening. So far, it appears that 5 MPs will be spending some time at COP 24, meaning that 335 MPs are here in Canada, and most likely in Ottawa the evening of December 11. At this time, the office of MP Choquette has invited one of the filmmakers to attend, hoping he can make it; and an effort is being made for President Tong to participate, if possible, via internet. He and Prime Minister Trudeau know one another.

It’s very timely, in the midst of COP24, for our MPs to see the effect of climate change on low-lying states. Please take a few minutes to reach out to your MP and let her/him know you would like them to attend this screening.
Thank you all,
Rita Bijons (416) 766 6331
Anote’s Ark (2018), directed by Matthieu Rytz, features His Excellency Anote Tong* and his mission. What if your country was swallowed by the sea? The Pacific island nation of Kiribati (population ~118,000) is one of the most remote places on the planet, seemingly far-removed from the pressures of modern life. Yet it is one of the the first countries that must confront the main existential dilemma of our time: imminent annihilation from sea-level rise. While Kiribati’s President Anote Tong races to find a way to protect his nation’s people and maintain their dignity, many Kiribati are already seeking safe harbour oversees. Kiribiti has purchased land on Fiji, for relocation.

This film had its Canadian premiere at Hot Docs in spring 2018. View the trailer:  https://vimeo.com/244728466

 Now, as COP24 is in progress, the Prime Minister of Fiji, under whose Presidency  COP23 took place, has just passed the baton to Poland. (Read: https://www.fijitimes.com/more-ambition-more-urgency-fijian-pm-urges-leaders-at-cop24/ ), stating:
 “As I have said right from the start, we are all in the same canoe in confronting the climate threat,” ... “More ambition, more urgency. Because as the scientists have just told us, the window of opportunity to act is closing fast.”...“Time is running out and we must move quickly to have any hope of capping global warming at 1.5 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial age.” … Mr Bainimarama highlighted the recent Emissions Gap Report released by the United Nations Environment Programme that we need to increase our current commitments fivefold to achieve this target….“Five times more ambition. Five times more action,” he underscored.

* His Excellency Anote Tong is the fourth President of the Republic of Kiribati. He was first elected as President on July 10, 2003, and subsequently won two more elections in 2007 and in 2012. His last term ended mid-2015. Under his leadership, President Anote Tong held the portfolio of Head of State and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Immigration. Tong has been at the forefront of raising global awareness about catastrophic risks caused by climate change. With his atoll nation of Kiribati seated an average height of two metres above sea level, rising sea levels due to climate change pose an existential threat to Kiribati and other low lying states in the Pacific. President Tong has been awarded leadership and environmental prizes for his work both in environmental protection, and his advocacy on climate change and its effects. Anote Tong, dubbed as a ‘climate warrior’, pioneered the notion of ‘migration with dignity’ to avoid the people of Kiribati becoming ‘climate refugees’.

Suggestions_Transforming-Canadas-Approach-to-SDGs_Energime-GCD-TI.pdf