How far can I extend range on this old derailleur?

Joe G

Aug 28, 2022, 10:32:24 AM8/28/22
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I have a Suntour GT MkII rear derailleur that I would really like to use.   This is a link to the specs:  https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/suntour_cyclone_mark-ii_gt_derailleur_3700.html

I have an 11-36,  9 Speed rear cassette, will be using thumbies in friction mode with a 44-34-24 Triple.   Is there hope that using something like the Wolf Tooth Roadlink I could extend the range enough to make using a Suntour GT Mk II compatible with my 9 Speed 11-36?  or should I just slap on a Deore RD and call it a day... ?

Thanks

Peter White

Aug 28, 2022, 11:13:01 AM8/28/22
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you can get it to handle the range. But it's not a good shifting derailleur. The upper pulley is a long way from the small freewheel cogs, so in the higher gears the shifting is rather sloppy.

Peter White