Fwd: John Forester is riding into the sunset.

Alan Forkosh

Apr 23, 2020, 4:28:27 AM4/23/20
to bicycle...@googlegroups.com
Sad news.

Alan Forkosh                    Oakland, CA
afor...@mac.com

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Baross <jimb...@cox.net>
Subject: John Forester is riding into the sunset.
Date: April 22, 2020 at 6:55:52 PM PDT
To: Cabo Forum <cabo...@googlegroups.com>

Reported to me today by his son Jeff Forester
John died April 14, 2020 at 90 years of age
He was Born Oct. 1929
I have known John primarily related to bicycling and CABO. Some things I know about him off the cuff:
Author of Effective Cycling now in a 7th edition, former League of American Bicyclists Board member (was he board chair at one time?), instrumental in the formation of CABO, certainly the Father of the concepts and trainings of vehicular cycling, an early outspoken advocate for the rights of people to use bicycles on public roads, etc. etc.

Jeff and I are interested to collect memories and anecdotes of John's life. Send to Jeff at Fores...@comcast.net and please copy me.

"Cyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles." JF
 Jim Baross, CABO President
 League of American Bicyclists Board Member
 League Cycling Instructor Coach

Serge Issakov

Apr 23, 2020, 11:04:19 AM4/23/20
to Cabo Forum, BicycleDriving, Chainguard, fore...@comcast.net, harr...@ix.netcom.com, jimb...@cox.net, petev...@cox.net
Like many here and countless others around the world, I was liberated from edge riding by default by John’s writing, making our cycling far more effective. RIP.

Here’s a piece in Forbes by Carlton Reid:

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 5:35 AM Cycle California Magazine <cyc...@cyclecalifornia.com> wrote:
Well said, Pete.

On Apr 22, 2020, at 11:06 PM, petevannuys <petev...@cox.net> wrote:

John's contributions to bicycling--as transportation, recreation, sport, a vehicle for fitness, social interaction, and discovery-- far outweigh those of his detractors. John stood for, and rode for, human digity and equality. He advocated respect for law and common sense; he trusted civility over fear mongering; he promoted responibilty of the individual above government overreach.
I'll think of him now whenever I see the sign, Bikes May Use Full Lane. Though for him, of course that went without saying.

A tragic loss.  His comments and observations will be missed.

He has earned his rest!

He spoke at an Almaden Cycling Touring Club meeting many years ago. I brought my
twenager son to hear him. My son brought our Effective Cycling with him and John
signed it. My son, now a father, still has the book.

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 18:55:52 -0700, Jim Baross <jimb...@cox.net> wrote:

>Reported to me today by his son Jeff Forester
>John died April 14, 2020 at 90 years of age
>He was Born Oct. 1929
>I have known John primarily related to bicycling and CABO. Some things I
>know about him off the cuff:
>Author of *Effective Cycling* now in a 7th edition, former League of

>American Bicyclists Board member (was he board chair at one time?),
>instrumental in the formation of CABO, certainly the Father of the concepts
>and trainings of vehicular cycling, an early outspoken advocate for the
>rights of people to use bicycles on public roads, etc. etc.
>
>Jeff and I are interested to collect memories and anecdotes of John's life.
>Send to Jeff at Fore...@comcast.net and please copy me.

>"Cyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles."
>JF
> Jim Baross, CABO President
> League of American Bicyclists Board Member
> League Cycling Instructor Coach
Harry Lichtbach
Chancellor, Bike Driving Academy
Almaden Cycle Touring Club