Request for New FamilySearch UI Recommendations

Gordon Clarke

Nov 22, 2006, 5:23:20 PM11/22/06
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Developers,

We are looking for a new, intuitive and effective way to assist typical members (ie.
members with limited computer and genealogical experience) to enter in a Desktop Client or Web Application family information about parents, children, spouse(s) and siblings for up to four generations. Event dates and locations, if known, should be captured for the birth, death, and marriage of each family member.

Below are some of the methods that we have seen:

* One big form per family where you leave unused siblings or spouse(s) blank.

* Forms dynamically generated by the number of spouse(s) and children.

* Add persons and info as you need it.

* Pedigree for just names then drill down to add the detail information.

* One big pedigree where you leave unused areas blank.

* Multiple Descendency charts for each set of great-great grand parents

* Many different combinations of the above.

Please respond to this email ASAP, if you are interested in taking time to prepare a
description of your best new, intuitive, and effective solution. More details will be
emailed to all respondents.

Best regards,

Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet Manager
(801) 240-0770

RICHARD HURST

Nov 22, 2006, 7:15:08 PM11/22/06
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please include me this sounds like a great deal. what do I need to do.

Thanks so much
Robin

Hugh Myers

Nov 27, 2006, 12:57:00 PM11/27/06
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Likewise include me. Any developer who has done genealogical work has spent a great deal of time on this subject.

--hsm

Buck DeFore

Nov 28, 2006, 11:17:51 AM11/28/06
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
I have been working on a web project that has many of the same goals,
and I may be able to contribute. I will be able to show very shortly!

Buck

Gordon Clarke

Dec 12, 2006, 9:49:57 AM12/12/06
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

We are looking for a new, intuitive and effective way to assist typical members (ie.
members with limited computer and genealogical experience) to enter through a desktop client basic family information about parents, children, spouse(s) and siblings for up to four generations. Event dates and locations, if known, should be captured for the birth, death, and marriage of each family member.

Could you prepare screen samples of your best new, intuitive, and effective solution?
What is your phone number so we can talk a bit.

Best regards,

Gordon
801-240-0770

>>> "RICHARD HURST" <Lucyg...@msn.com> 11/22/2006 5:15 PM >>>

Buck DeFore

Dec 20, 2006, 1:43:57 AM12/20/06
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
I've just launched my ActionScript-based genealogy application. More
details are at my blog:

www.bcdef.org

and the project page:

http://bcdef.org/?page_id=19

Let me know what you think!

Buck

Gordon Clarke

Dec 20, 2006, 10:01:29 AM12/20/06
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Buck,

I'm very interested in what you have done.
How can I reach you by phone?

Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet Manager
801-240-0770

>>> "Buck DeFore" <bde...@gmail.com> 12/19/2006 11:43 PM >>>

I've just launched my ActionScript-based genealogy application. More
details are at my blog:

www.bcdef.org

and the project page:

http://bcdef.org/?page_id=19

Let me know what you think!

Buck

On 11/22/06, Gordon Clarke <clar...@ldschurch.org> wrote:

> Developers,
>
> We are looking for a new, intuitive and effective way to assist typical
> members (ie.
> members with limited computer and genealogical experience) to enter in a
> Desktop Client or Web Application family information about parents,
> children, spouse(s) and siblings for up to four generations. Event dates and
> locations, if known, should be captured for the birth, death, and marriage
> of each family member.
>
> Below are some of the methods that we! have s een:

> * One big form per family where you leave unused siblings or spouse(s)
> blank.
>
> * Forms dynamically generated by the number of spouse(s) and children.
>
> * Add persons and info as you need it.
>
> * Pedigree for just names then drill down to add the detail information.
>
> * One big pedigree where you leave unused areas blank.
>
> * Multiple Descendency charts for each set of great-great grand parents
>
> * Many different combinations of the above.
>

> Please respond to this email ASAP, if you are interested in taking time to
> prepare a
> description of your best new, intuitive, and effective solution. More
> details will be
> emailed to all respondents.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gordon Clarke
> FamilySearch DevNet Manager
> (801) 240-0770
! > NO TICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)