Interested in translating documentation

Gus Kats

Jun 28, 2022, 3:53:25 PM6/28/22
to beautifulsoup
Hello, im interested in translating documentation for Beautiful soup. Where is the best place to start.

leonardr

Jun 28, 2022, 5:44:11 PM6/28/22
to beautifulsoup
Gus,

Thanks for your interest in creating a translation. This would be the simplest way to go about it:

* Translate the index.rst file rather than the HTML documentation, so that your translation can be published in different formats.
* Attach the translation to a message in this group. I'll add it to the version control repository and credit you with the translation.
* Also, please translate the sentence "This document is also available in [name of language]." so that I can add a link to your translation in the English documentation.

Also note that for me to include the translation in the official Beautiful Soup package, you'll need to give permission to license it under the MIT license (the license used by the Beautiful Soup software itself).

Leonard

Gus Kats

Jul 6, 2022, 7:13:20 AM7/6/22
to beauti...@googlegroups.com
Also is there somewhere where I can read general guidelines? Such as what to do with names etc. ?

On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 11:57 AM Gus Kats <konno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I was wondering where the repository is but from what I understand now I just download the index.rst file and translate it locally, then attach it here ?

Gus Kats

Jul 6, 2022, 7:13:23 AM7/6/22
to beauti...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 12:44 AM leonardr <leonard.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

leonardr

Jul 6, 2022, 11:14:08 AM7/6/22
to beautifulsoup
Gus,

I've never translated documentation myself, so I don't have any advice beyond the minimal advice listed in Translating this documentation. I'd use the other language translations as a guide. If you're talking about method names, I think it makes sense to add some text explaining the name of the method, since the name itself can't be translated.

Once you complete the documentation, if you have any suggestions, I can add them to the translation section of the English documentation, or otherwise change other parts of the English documentation to make it easier to translate.

The repository is here, but most people who do translations find it easier to just translate index.rst and upload the translation.

Leonard