Beats 1.5b Testing and Translations - beats-r374.apk

Philip Peng

Feb 10, 2011, 2:40:46 AM2/10/11
to Beats Portable
Hello all and welcome to the Beats Portable Google group. I will be
using this group mainly to link to the latest development builds for
testing/feedback, as well as providing the strings resource file for
translations.

To install the development build, you will have to:
1) Uninstall any official Beats update from the Android Market
2) Download the .apk linked below and copy the .apk to your phone (or
just download it via your phone)
3) Turn on "Applications > Install from Unknown Sources" on your phone
4) Open up the .apk file from your phone (via some file browser or
phone's "My Files") to install the app

Note that if you have an AT&T phone or are unable to install the app
this way, you can use the AndroidCentral Sideload Wonder Machine:
http://www.androidcentral.com/sideload-android-apps-all-you-want-sideload-wonder-machine

If you encounter any bugs, oddities, misspellings, etc. during
testing, please provide details via this thread!
If you are able/willing to help translate Beats into any non-English
language, please reply to this thread with translated versions of the
two .xml files.
If you have any small immediate tweak suggestions (e.g. change of a
default setting), please explain such here.
If they are larger feature suggestions, please post them instead on
the forum's suggestions subsection: http://beatsportable.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13
Before posting a feature suggestion, first check if it hasn't already
been added to the To-Do list: http://beatsportable.com/todo/

Download:
http://beatsportable.com/static/testing/beats-r374.apk
Translate:
http://beatsportable.com/static/testing/arrays_trans-r374.xml
http://beatsportable.com/static/testing/strings-r374.xml

Current changelog:
http://beatsportable.com/changelog/
Changes since r237 (Beats 1.4b official release)
- added osu! Mod via new Game Mode setting (see here)
- added scroll up game modes
- added various tapbox layouts
- various optimizations for performance
- added Randomize settings
- allow for free-form screen rotation (even during gameplay)
- added a few new shortcut icons to main menu
- fixed lag and miss bugs!
- fixed window switching issues
- allow early release of holds
- sped up .sm file loading
- average FPS also calculated
- added 3.5x and 4.0x speed multipliers
- combo text changes colour at 100/500/1000
- fixed note jumping bug due to music offset setting
- fixed jumps+holds (no notes during a hold when jumps off)
- integrated Localytics (for bug reporting and device-specific
support)
- added Russian translation by burdik

Things to particularly test and leave feedback here for:
- osu! Mod implementation (intuitive? patterns reasonable?)
- reasonability of accuracy ratings (default is too harsh/easy?)
- lag and general framerate (does it run smoothly most of the time
when you aren't doing stuff in the background)
- miss bug? (had reports of this before but weren't able to
replicate...)
- any hold bugs (yes, the holds release window has been increased)
- misspellings/typos (it happens ; P)
- general opinion on the main menu (cluttered?)
- settings layout order (re-arrange some categories/sequence?)

Beats 1.5b is set to release before the end of this month. Please try
and test out this development build and leave feedback here when you
have the free time!

~Keripo

BurdiK

Feb 10, 2011, 9:45:33 AM2/10/11
to Beats Portable

Zurek (ズレク xD)

Feb 10, 2011, 10:18:59 AM2/10/11
to Beats Portable
First look on the game:
Looks great, beata is more faster now, i dont any bigger lag on my
samsung i5700. But osu! Mod is too hard... Circles are too close
together, the previous version was better.

XWing Ace

Feb 10, 2011, 1:24:52 PM2/10/11
to Beats Portable

> If you are able/willing to help translate Beats into any non-English
> language, please reply to this thread with translated versions of the
> two .xml files.

I'd love to help with translation into Dutch... Do I just translate
all the items in between xml tags, or is there something else I need
to do/not do?

And now to try the next version...

XWA

BurdiK Burdenko

Feb 10, 2011, 1:35:49 PM2/10/11
to beats-p...@googlegroups.com

2011/2/10 XWing Ace <xwin...@gmail.com>
Everything between <item></item> in arrays_trans-r374.xml
and <string name="..."></string> in strings-r374.xml , yes ^^
as 4 me I've had some trouble with words-which-you-can't-translate-properly-into-russian but I coped with it =3

XWing Ace

Feb 10, 2011, 2:46:00 PM2/10/11
to Beats Portable
> Things to particularly test and leave feedback here for:
> - osu! Mod implementation (intuitive? patterns reasonable?)
> - reasonability of accuracy ratings (default is too harsh/easy?)
> - lag and general framerate (does it run smoothly most of the time
> when you aren't doing stuff in the background)
> - miss bug? (had reports of this before but weren't able to
> replicate...)
> - any hold bugs (yes, the holds release window has been increased)
> - misspellings/typos (it happens ; P)
> - general opinion on the main menu (cluttered?)
> - settings layout order (re-arrange some categories/sequence?)

Okay, first impression (mostly on Osu! mode)

Holy customisation options Batman! It's fantastic that all that is
possible, absolutely. But the settings menu gets a bit dizzying. :-)

I love the mode indicator icon in the main menu. No more starting a
song thinking I'm playing Osu and getting arrows, or, worse, the other
way around.

Those numbers on the beats really help more than you might think.
Makes things seem a lot more controlled than just bubbles popping up
everywhere.

Patterns... Hmmm. I do agree with a previous poster that they're
placed too close together. Although I rather felt it made things too
easy and boring. I can get through songs on a much higher difficulty
by just spamming around the spot where the pattern started, and I
won't score well, but I'll score. Maybe if the distance between the
bubbles could vary just as the starting position of the first hit
(with the default distance a bit bigger than it is now), that might
make things a bit more spaced out again. I also felt that sometimes
the pattern went on for too long, especially if the notes were
reasonably slow. In random mode, often bubbles would alternate left
and right most of the time, making playing more comfortable and feel
more like tapping out a rythm (to me, at least). If the spacing were a
bit wider, maybe it could feel that way in pattern mode too.

With the pattern hitboxes so close together, though, if that miss bug
I thought I noticed were still around, I'd have found it again. It
seems to be gone.

Nice work, again!

XWA

k.dar...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2011, 3:54:11 PM2/10/11
to beats-p...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM, XWing Ace <xwin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are able/willing to help translate Beats into any non-English
> language, please reply to this thread with translated versions of the
> two .xml files.

I'd love to help with translation into Dutch... Do I just translate
all the items in between xml tags, or is there something else I need
to do/not do?

And now to try the next version...

XWA

In strings.xml:
<string name="*blah*">"*translate this*"</string>

In arrays_trans.xml:
<item>*translate this*</item>
The random circles thing is still available - turn off Settings > Modifiers > Beatmap Patterns

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM, XWing Ace <xwin...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Any recommendations on reorganizing the settings menu(s)? As you can see, I've made sure to make Beats as customizable as possible, but now I'm running into the problem of too many settings that finding things can become confusing xD

Any suggestions on where to move/recategorize things or arrangement of the order of settings? Ideally the most frequently changed/used settings would be easily accessible and up top.

As for the patterns, this is still in the works but is mostly like such because the StepMania .sm format does not include x,y coordinates for their notes. A sequence of left-right-left-right note trills will become just a string of osu! beats. (I was actually thinking more along the lines of "Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA", which I have played, as opposed to "Ouendan". The reason the beats in an arc are so close together is that each arc represents a single measure (aka 4 musical beats) - a single arc will have no more than 4 red beats and 8 blue beats. With a small screensize, the beats would naturally become clumped together on harder songs ; /

Matt is still currently working on generating better arcs as well as later on, different patterns. I'm going to try to see if instead of all arcs, we can also have lines, V's, and Z's maybe. Don't expect it to be too, too complicated though - currently this is just a drop in replacement for osu! emulation until I actually add real support for the real .osu format (I sent peppy a PM last night asking her for details). Still though, I agree that the arcs are currently a bit boring (and to an extent, spam-easy) and pure random is fun, but pure random loses the important pattern part of rhythm games.

Try turning on Settings > Advanced Settings > Tapbox Debugging, then reducing Settings > Tapbox Overlap and tell me if that makes it less spam-tastic. If it does, I'll play around with reducing the default tapbox size.

XWing Ace

Feb 10, 2011, 4:56:15 PM2/10/11
to beats-p...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM, <k.dar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM, XWing Ace <xwin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In strings.xml:
> <string name="*blah*">"*translate this*"</string>
>
> In arrays_trans.xml:
> <item>*translate this*</item>

Got it. Am working on it. No more tonight, though.

Tyops I've noticed: <string name="Tools_window_error">"Window
switching error - I haven't figure out how

to fix this yet ; / (please email me details!"</string>

'figured' and the closing parenthesis.

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM, XWing Ace <xwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But the settings menu gets a bit dizzying. :-)
>>

> Any recommendations on reorganizing the settings menu(s)? As you can see,
> I've made sure to make Beats as customizable as possible, but now I'm
> running into the problem of too many settings that finding things can become
> confusing xD

I don't have all that many, because although it is a lot, I mainly
noticed that because this time I went digging a little. Default
settings work fine most of the time. I have just one suggestion:

> The random circles thing is still available - turn off Settings > Modifiers
>> Beatmap Patterns

As long as it is just a choice between 'random' and 'pattern' in Osu!
mode, wouldn't it be easier and (to me) more intuitive to just have
both those choices selectable in the Game Mode menu, along with
Standard and Reverse?

Of course, if more modification of those patterns should become
available, then maybe not. But as long as it's just a choice between
those two...

> As for the patterns, this is still in the works but is mostly like such
> because the StepMania .sm format does not include x,y coordinates for their
> notes. A sequence of left-right-left-right note trills will become just a
> string of osu! beats.

Just a thought: You don't have full x/y data, but you do have an
indication of left, right or somewhere in the middle. Could that be
used to slightly de-randomize the randomness?

>With a small screensize, the
> beats would naturally become clumped together on harder songs ; /

That must be my main 'problem'. I'm playing this on a 240x320 screen
in landscape mode. On your screenshots the arcs do generally seem
better spaced.

> Don't expect it to be too, too
> complicated though -

You know, I was already ecstatic with the first random mode warts and
all. Anything you do that makes this even more fun to play will make
me happier. But if not, then I'm still happy with what you've already
made.

> Try turning on Settings > Advanced Settings > Tapbox Debugging, then
> reducing Settings > Tapbox Overlap and tell me if that makes it less
> spam-tastic. If it does, I'll play around with reducing the default tapbox
> size.

Actually, that does help somewhat. Thanks for the tip!

XWA

k.dar...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2011, 5:10:13 PM2/10/11
to beats-p...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM, XWing Ace <xwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM,  <k.dar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM, XWing Ace <xwin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In strings.xml:
> <string name="*blah*">"*translate this*"</string>
>
> In arrays_trans.xml:
> <item>*translate this*</item>

Got it. Am working on it. No more tonight, though.

Take your time. and thanks

Tyops I've noticed: <string name="Tools_window_error">"Window
switching error - I haven't figure out how

to fix this yet ; / (please email me details!"</string>

'figured' and the closing parenthesis.

Fixed.

As long as it is just a choice between 'random' and 'pattern' in Osu!
mode, wouldn't it be easier and (to me) more intuitive to just have
both those choices selectable in the Game Mode menu, along with
Standard and Reverse?

Of course, if more modification of those patterns should become
available, then maybe not. But as long as it's just a choice between
those two...

Makes sense I guess. I'll play around with things and see how it works out.

Just a thought: You don't have full x/y data, but you do have an
indication of left, right or somewhere in the middle. Could that be
used to slightly de-randomize the randomness?

Will have to think a bit more on that...

Actually, that does help somewhat. Thanks for the tip!

XWA

Default hitbox size reduced by 20%. Should make random harder but patterned require more accuracy.

~Keripo

disaster.ita

Feb 11, 2011, 12:00:59 PM2/11/11
to Beats Portable
Hi all, this game is marvelous!! Now I need 3/4 battery every
day!! ;-)
If you can found song that you like, you are over! :D

osu! mod is interesting, I never try it before. It is difficult to me.

Anyway, I write because I have translate Beats into Italian. How can
do to send files?
I was undecided if translate or not the in game assessments (combo,
marvelous, etc), but I have translated them also.

Thanks

k.dar...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2011, 12:05:14 PM2/11/11
to beats-p...@googlegroups.com

pastebin.com works fine

Max Pittsley

Feb 11, 2011, 1:14:28 PM2/11/11
to beats-p...@googlegroups.com
Is there any native Spanish speakers in the group? If it hasn't already been translated into Spanish, I can do so, but I am probably less qualified than a native speaker.

disaster.ita

Feb 11, 2011, 1:45:15 PM2/11/11
to Beats Portable

disaster.ita

Feb 11, 2011, 1:49:50 PM2/11/11
to Beats Portable
Pay attention, there are accented letters, tell me If I have to write
them with a special sintax (html like "&egrave;"?)

On Feb 11, 7:45 pm, "disaster.ita" <disaster....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, done!
>
> http://pastebin.com/GmHZjXGhhttp://pastebin.com/u16c7e0i

wc

Feb 12, 2011, 6:44:36 AM2/12/11
to Beats Portable
downloading now. cant wait to try out osu! mode im excited!

Philip Peng

Feb 13, 2011, 4:34:53 AM2/13/11
to Beats Portable
New development build:
"Beats 1.5b-r396 Testing and Translations"
http://groups.google.com/group/beats-portable/browse_thread/thread/22ae4bd516f0a22e

~Keripo

On Feb 10, 2:40 am, Philip Peng <k.darkti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all and welcome to the Beats Portable Google group. I will be
> using this group mainly to link to the latest development builds for
> testing/feedback, as well as providing the strings resource file for
> translations.
>
> To install the development build, you will have to:
> 1) Uninstall any official Beats update from the Android Market
> 2) Download the .apk linked below and copy the .apk to your phone (or
> just download it via your phone)
> 3) Turn on "Applications > Install from Unknown Sources" on your phone
> 4) Open up the .apk file from your phone (via some file browser or
> phone's "My Files") to install the app
>
> Note that if you have an AT&T phone or are unable to install the app
> this way, you can use the AndroidCentral Sideload Wonder Machine:http://www.androidcentral.com/sideload-android-apps-all-you-want-side...
>
> If you encounter any bugs, oddities, misspellings, etc. during
> testing, please provide details via this thread!
> If you are able/willing to help translate Beats into any non-English
> language, please reply to this thread with translated versions of the
> two .xml files.
> If you have any small immediate tweak suggestions (e.g. change of a
> default setting), please explain such here.
> If they are larger feature suggestions, please post them instead on
> the forum's suggestions subsection:http://beatsportable.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13
> Before posting a feature suggestion, first check if it hasn't already
> been added to the To-Do list:http://beatsportable.com/todo/
>
> Download:http://beatsportable.com/static/testing/beats-r374.apk
> Translate:http://beatsportable.com/static/testing/arrays_trans-r374.xmlhttp://beatsportable.com/static/testing/strings-r374.xml

BurdiK Burdenko

Feb 13, 2011, 5:09:36 AM2/13/11
to beats-p...@googlegroups.com
no more lags 4 me, stable fps even with background on
but i need to convert songs from high bitrates as with 320 it becames kinda slower
will update translation in evening
seen one translation issue: during gameplay difficulty is still written in english =/
everything else works fine
PS playing GT2 with FPse
works great with some stability issues!
everybody should try it 8)