Schedule question

Frank Cherry

Jan 7, 2021, 5:03:50 AM1/7/21
to bareos-users

Hi there,
this is my schedule set:

Schedule {
  Name = "CR-WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Level=Full 1st sun at 7:00
  Run = Level=Differential 2nd-5th sun at 7:00
  Run = Level=Incremental mon-sat at 7:00
}

The backup is stored on a LTO tape, changed manually - no autoloader.

Looking on the schedule, a tape of the increment pool is insert on Saturday morining.
When now a differential or full backup is started, it checks first if the right tape is insert.
So I have do by manpower, that the right tape is available before the backup starts.

All backup jobs like inc, diff and full have spooling active.
Is there a way, that the nackups starts, and spools also if the wring tape is insert and after changing to the right tape, the despooling process starts or must I split it each backup in two jobs: copy to hdd and then to tape?

Thanks for any useful hints, Frank

Spadajspadaj

Jan 7, 2021, 6:03:52 AM1/7/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com

I believe you'd have to have two different jobs. You'd have to create a disk-based storage and firstly doing a backup job there, then have a migrate job to a tape pool.

I'm thinking of similar setup myself since I have sometimes problems with getting to the server to change tapes so I would like to have disk-based jobs and copy them whenever I get the chance but I have to dig a bit more into all those retention periods because there are few things still not obvious for me.

DUCARROZ Birgit

Jan 7, 2021, 7:10:26 AM1/7/21
to Frank Cherry, bareos-users
Hi,

Another possibility is not to spool and not to backup incremental nor
differential jobs.

For restoring speed and for your tape health it is better to always do
full backups, especially if you have no autochanger.

I deleted all jobs which do no full backup.

I did the configuration in a way, that once a month it asks me to change
the tape and this for each job. In this way I do a full backup twice in
a year of each job by manipulating tapes only once per month. This is
for me an easy way to handle the tapes.

The job tells me to insert cartridge 1 and as soon it is inserted, the
job continues automatically. One month later it asks me for cartgidge 2
and so on.

Let me know if you are interested to know how to configure such a handling.

Regards,
Birgit

Spadajspadaj

Jan 7, 2021, 7:12:22 AM1/7/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Well, not everyone has long enough tapes to always do full backups ;-)
After all the whole concept of Inc and Diff backups didn't come from
nothing.

DUCARROZ Birgit

Jan 7, 2021, 7:30:26 AM1/7/21
to Spadajspadaj, bareos...@googlegroups.com, Frank Cherry
Yup this is a personal decision, that's right and every sysadmin should
check their own needs and possibilities.

We have 6TB (15TB compression) LTO-7 cartridges and about 20 TB of data.

I decided to do it this way because I read in the originally bacula book
(from Philippe Storz) how backup is handling the tapes and because even
Philippe Storz himself advised me that this is a good way to backup on
single tapes.

See the following treat:

https://groups.google.com/g/bareos-users/c/g53BNdTat2s

Regards,
Birgit

Frank Kirschner | Celebrate Records GmbH

Jan 7, 2021, 8:00:52 AM1/7/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com

Okay, interesting discussion.

My full backup has at the moment 1,8 TB, Spooling time from the FD to the SD is around 15 hours, because there is a mail archive with a lot of small files.
Despooling is done in 3h 51min. This was with a block size of 63 k, I have now increase it to 1M

The backup to tape is for the worst case scenario, if all my server are encrypted by a hacker. Additional are RAID-5 hardware systems and rsync scripts with daily differentials and done to a server outside the building on the next house and a 2nd server in a data center.  So I would have all time I think.

If I do decide to daily full backup, a LTO-7 tape would have 6 TB / 1,8 TB = 3 full backups = 3 Days.
Based on 20 working days per month, around 7 tapes I would have on rotation. That's worth to sleep one night about this.

all the best, Frank

Spadajspadaj

Jan 7, 2021, 8:08:59 AM1/7/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Of course. It's all a matter of personal preference and personal needs.

There is one caveat though about full jobs and backup speed. It's all ok
if you're backing up just files and have no problem reading them with
the filedaemon. If you have some uncommon scenarios (like backing up
shares via CIFS from devices you can't install FD on or using plugins to
generate data for FD - in my case it might be a script reading package
list or a database dump), you might face SD starvation leading to
shoeshine. I suppose you could even hit uderruns with big flat
directories (but I'm not sure here - maybe the files would just be read
sequentially and not suffer that much from long directory listing).

It's always good to do an analysis of what you need and what you have :-)

Frank Kirschner | Celebrate Records GmbH

Jan 7, 2021, 8:40:29 AM1/7/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com

Is there a way to monitor the FD during collecting the files to see, how long it take to handle each directory in a file set?

Spadajspadaj

Jan 7, 2021, 8:55:30 AM1/7/21
to bareos...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure that there's any way other than running FD in a debug mode (and sufficiently high debug as well). At least I don't know of any.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bareos-users/1d632d94-2b1d-037c-15ff-7c0d5f84d265%40celebrate.de.