Question about config on single tape

DUCARROZ Birgit

Apr 8, 2020, 12:16:36 PM4/8/20
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Hi list,

I wonder which is the best config for a backup on a single tape (no
autochanger).

First of all: I have 2 separated bareos Servers: one is backing-up only
on HD's and the second one will be used to do full-backups once a month
to single tapes. Both servers are actually NOT connected to each other.
So my question here refers only to the tape server.

AIM: Monthly full backup on a tape, speed up restore and reduce
interruptions on the tape itself.

I'm reading the doc but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
I configured a mount with some 15TB as spool directory.

Now my questions:
a) When using a big spool directory on HD's - is it recommended to use
also copy/migration jobs?

b) How much Maximum Concurrent Jobs do you recommend for a tape if the
aim is to speed up a restore?

Actually, I thought to configure my tape device like this:
cat /bareos-sd.d/device/TapeStorage.conf

Device {
Name = tape
Drive Index = 0
Media Type = tape
Archive Device = /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-350050763121460f3
LabelMedia = yes; # lets Bareos label
unlabeled media
AutomaticMount = yes; # when device opened, read it
RemovableMedia = yes;
AlwaysOpen = no;
RandomAccess = no;
Spool Directory = /mnt/TapeSpool
Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
Description = "Tape device. A connecting Director must have the same
Name and MediaType."
}

Thank you for any hints!
Kind regards,
Birgit

birgit.ducarroz

Apr 14, 2020, 7:34:16 AM4/14/20
to bareos-users
no one can help me?

Philipp Storz

Apr 14, 2020, 8:48:29 AM4/14/20
to bareos...@googlegroups.com
Hello Birgit,

Am 14.04.20 um 13:34 schrieb 'birgit.ducarroz' via bareos-users:
> no one can help me?
>
> Am Mittwoch, 8. April 2020 18:16:36 UTC+2 schrieb birgit.ducarroz:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I wonder which is the best config for a backup on a single tape (no
> autochanger).
>
> First of all: I have 2 separated bareos Servers: one is backing-up only
> on HD's and the second one will be used to do full-backups once a month
> to single tapes. Both servers are actually NOT connected to each other.
> So my question here refers only to the tape server.
>
> AIM: Monthly full backup on a tape, speed up restore and reduce
> interruptions on the tape itself.
>
> I'm reading the doc but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
> I configured a mount with some 15TB as spool directory.

If your full backup is fast enough to keep the tapedrive streaming,
you do not need to spool at all.

Usually, full backup jobs are fast as everything is backed up. Only incremental and differential
backups are often a problem because too many data is skipped so the net data rate is slow.

> Now my questions:
> a) When using a big spool directory on HD's - is it recommended to use
> also copy/migration jobs?

If you want to have a full backup on tape afterwards, it makes no sense to do copy or migrate before.

> b) How much Maximum Concurrent Jobs do you recommend for a tape if the
> aim is to speed up a restore?

As little as possible. If the full backup is fast enough on the source side, just backup one job at
a time to your tape.
This will make sure that during restore, every block being read from the tape is part of your
restore job and you get the maximum restore speed.

Best regards,

Philipp

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Philipp Storz philip...@bareos.com
Bareos GmbH & Co. KG Phone: +49 221 63 06 93-92
http://www.bareos.com Fax: +49 221 63 06 93-10

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, M. Außendorf,
J. Steffens, P. Storz

DUCARROZ Birgit

Apr 30, 2020, 8:34:41 AM4/30/20
to Philipp Storz, bareos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

Thank you for this answer!

Since a full backup of all of our different shares (one by one) takes
1.5 - 2 weeks, I think I will do concurrent jobs and spool all jobs on a
HD first before moving it on the tape.

Your answer helped me to opt for this choice.
Best regards!
Birgit