Frozen Pensions

Tony OMahony

Apr 13, 2022, 5:07:08 AM4/13/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hello Paul Swain

Today I delivered my letter to Julian Simmonds MP for Ryan (Qld), attached.

Ryan covers the western suburbs of Brisbane and is not technically a marginal but there is a strong Green presence incl a Green member for Qld parliament seat of Maiwar which is part of the Ryan electorate and their candidate could be in with a chance depending on preferences.

Feel free to use some or all of my text if you wish.

Aside: at the counter I received an attentive listening but got an attempted brush off with the claim that the government was "in caretaker mode" which I rebutted.

Sincerely
Tony O'Mahony

--
Tony O'Mahony
Julian Simmonds MP.docx

elizabeth Harvey

Apr 13, 2022, 12:26:29 PM4/13/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Great letter Tony.

However, I have a question regarding the frozen UK pensions, of which I am a receiver. I have never really understood how it would affect our Australian Pension if the UK pensions were "unfrozen" and we were given all future increases.  Will we be worse off or better off....??

Apologies for showing my ignorance but I would be grateful if someone could give me a simple answer.
Many thanks
Elizabeth Harvey

Tony Phillips

Apr 13, 2022, 12:26:40 PM4/13/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Excellent letter, Tony! I shall use it to try here in SA!

Tony Phillips

On 13 Apr 2022, at 6:56 pm, Tony OMahony <alpha...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Julian Simmonds MP.docx

bow...@bigpond.net.au

Apr 13, 2022, 9:01:38 PM4/13/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

In reply to Elizabeth, yes we would be better off financially because when the Australian Pension system calculates your entitlement it takes only 50% of your UK pension into consideration.

That is the current system anyway.

Brian

Steve Symmons

Apr 14, 2022, 4:48:54 AM4/14/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
They drop your Australian pension 50c for every additional $1 income after the $90/week ($180/fb) threshold is reached (there is a different threshold of $150/wk-$300/fb for “earned” income).
So you will be 50c better off for every dollar increase (less any tax liability).

Better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick
But not as good as a system like the Brits that has no means or income test, when your only reduction is any income tax liability.

Tony OMahony

Apr 14, 2022, 4:49:33 AM4/14/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Elizabeth

No  need to apologise, taxation legislation is designed to deceive.

Basically:
  • Aus pensions are calculated on either Assets (how rich you are) but excluding your home "place of residence" or
  • Income
If you exceed the limits on either your pension gets reduced progressively until $0

Therefore your UK pension should be included in your Tax Return each year end. This is unlikely to affect your tax status as we old people get major concessions, aged rebate, which in most cases exceeds what income you may earn.

OK?

Regards
Tony

--
Tony O'Mahony

elizabeth Harvey

Apr 14, 2022, 4:50:34 AM4/14/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.   Happy Easter.

Bruce Englefield

Apr 14, 2022, 5:54:24 AM4/14/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, happy Easter.

Not only would an unfrozen pension make us better off financially it would also improve our mental health. Frustration over a morally corrupt injustice is a bad mental bedfellow. However, what chance of a change when the head of government can break the law and still keep his job as PM. Whatever happened to ‘An Englishman’s word is his bond’. My Australian citizenship is a matter of pride, my British citizenship is a matter of shame.

Regards

Dr Bruce Englefield OAM.

Sent from my iPad

elizabeth Harvey

Apr 14, 2022, 1:22:37 PM4/14/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for answering my question  "will l be better or worse off"  ......  ..   that was a great help.

Elizabeth

peter humphries

Apr 16, 2022, 3:13:15 AM4/16/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
You've got the wrong Peter Humphries! I'm in a group of about 6 Peter Humphries 4 of them in Aus. We are all getting on!

Cheers Pete

clive walford

Apr 16, 2022, 3:15:05 AM4/16/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
How many UK expats resident in OZ? how many of those are entitled to receive Oz age pension? I do not live in Oz but understood not all UK FPs can get Oz age pension? The campaign for parity for UK Pensions world is still the "ultimate" aim.   we are all aware that RA's are not required to uprate and withholding is done by secondary negative domestic legislation. the question is there how to get Regulation removed from the provisions within the pension act. the entitlement, (a right), basd on the contributions we make as within the Act.  a good legal rep is needed! cost etc.   would the Pandora" reporters group be persuaded to investigate this issue?

Leiv Bornecrantz

Apr 18, 2022, 5:37:27 AM4/18/22
to 'clive walford' via BAPA

There is no "Australian Age Pension" in contrast to all other OECD Countries.

However, there is what is in the UK called "Pension credits" which is given to those that have no other Pension or any Assets that can be sold to finance day to day activities. It is a "Benefit" - not a Pension. It is more liberal that the UK equivalent as monies can be earned above the nominal amount but it is no goldmine as monies will be deducted on a sliding scale.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bapanews/31032049.201807.1650086874516%40mail.yahoo.com.
--
Take Note: This email and its attachments if in letterform is Private and Confidential and
without Pre Judice for any matter whatsoever without written permission by the author,

This is an electronically transmitted copy of an email composed and saved electronically on
the senders Computer.
That original may also have been saved as hard copy and therefore this email and its content
will at all times remain copyrighted property of the originator and sender.
This email and any files attached and transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the
information of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
Unauthorised use, disclosure or copying by the receiver or any other person or entity is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
We in singular or plural accept no legal liability for the content of the message.
Any opinions or views presented are solely the views without pre judice expressed of the
author, are without Pre Judice and do not necessarily represent those of any associated entities
incorporated or otherwise unless specifically stated.

If you have received this email in error, please let the author know by replying to the sender,
and delete this email from your system immediately.

Security Warning:
Please note that this email has been created in the knowledge that Internet email is not 100%
secure communications medium.
The sender advise that you are deemed to have understood and accepted this lack of security and its Private and Confidential nature when
corresponding with the sender, it most certainly will also apply to lawyers of any ilk!

Michael Skully

Apr 18, 2022, 7:08:47 PM4/18/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

elizabeth cardoo

Apr 19, 2022, 4:38:44 AM4/19/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
We , a couple get the Australian AGE PENSION. Not aPENSION CREDIT of $280 per fortnight each , considerably lower than the maximum rate. We also have our super drawdown that we paid voluntary contributions for 35 years as well as tax of course. Our frozen UK pension is paltry in spite having worked in UK for 20 years prior to moving to Oz. When I got the 12 months of back pension instead of 12 years worth and the monthly increase of roughly $150 per month, my OZ pension was reduced 😡.

Not a happy chappy.
Cheers
Elizabeth Cardoo

Sent from my iPhone

mary barber

Apr 19, 2022, 6:31:57 AM4/19/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
They only reduce oz pension  by half the uk one so you are better off the more uk pension you get