Todd

Jul 4, 2011, 2:01:46 PM7/4/11
to Baltimore Node MakerBot Users Group
I've been trying to print some bigger things and the bot doesn't seem
to move in Z as much as it's supposed to. I find myself having to
keep turning the knob to get it to align to be where it's supposed to
be. Is there anything that would cause this slip/sticking? On
Friday, Alan and I moved it all the way up, back down, and re-leveled
it, so maybe that will help.

Robert McGuire

Jul 4, 2011, 2:24:05 PM7/4/11
to baltimore...@googlegroups.com, Baltimore Node MakerBot Users Group
The cupcake z-axis is prone to binding up and/or losing steps. The four threaded rods aren't all straight, and the acrylic stage itself expands and contracts with temperature, so that can cause changes in performance as well.

There are some tricks for lessening binding:

- only use 3 nuts on the z-stage
- replace one of the z clamps with a wobble arrestor (many examples on thingiverse), ideally on the most bent rod
- check the rotation of the z-rods so they aren't all "wobbling" in sync
- probably other examples are on the makerbot operators google group archive

--Marty