ATMs in the Azores

Cheri Mello

Feb 24, 2013, 12:04:46 PM2/24/13
to Azores Genealogy
Repost for Ria, nazdar2000 at gmail.com

Hi Everybody,
Does anyone know if Azores, Ponta Delgada City if the banks have ATM
service and if we can use it with our Visa card?
Thanks
Ria

Cheri Mello

Feb 24, 2013, 12:09:41 PM2/24/13
to Azores Genealogy
Ria,

They are called Multi Bank Boxes (possibly Multi Banco Caxia? in
Portuguese). There's a button to have the screens displayed in
English.

As for if you can use your Visa card (or MasterCard for that matter),
you will have to call the bank that issued your card to find out about
the out-of-network ATMs and foreign currency fees. Otherwise, you may
come home to a big bill!

Cheri

Margaret Vicente

Feb 24, 2013, 5:26:00 PM2/24/13
to azores
Cheri,

I was recently in Ponta Delgada and they have ATM's at most locations, even Gas Stations.  I did not experience in extra fees.  I used my Visa and found it cheaper on the exchange than my cash conversion.  Anyone travelling abroad should be contacting their respective Card Companies to advise where they will be and how long for so they don't freeze their account if stores or shops don't handle the transaction it right.

Cheers,

Margaret Vicente

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

Margaret M Vicente

Richard Francis Pimentel

Feb 24, 2013, 6:08:25 PM2/24/13
to azo...@googlegroups.com

I was reading that credit cards in Europe have smart chips and there may be a problem with some machines accepting ours with the magnetic strips. Once again I would check with your credit card company.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel

Spring, TX

Formerly of Epping, New Hampshire

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha, Achada Grande,  Bretanha, and Ponta Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores

Tomas Leal

Feb 25, 2013, 2:05:51 AM2/25/13
to azo...@googlegroups.com, Azores Genealogy
For the past three years, I have stayed in the Azores for 12 weeks in the summer and used my debit card from my U.S. to withdraw euros. I've never had a problem. My bank does charge a "foreign transaction fee" and an "interbank charge" on these transactions, which work out to about $5-6 per transaction withdrawing 200 euros.These fees are still less than and currency exchange or local bank would charge to change dollars.

There is a daily maximum amount you may withdraw regardless of what your bank allows in the U.S. That maximum is 200 euros, and I always go the limit.

That said, my partner had trouble using a Bank of America debit card, which the bank was not able to correct while we were there. Upon our return, the bank issued a new card and there wasn't a problem on the next trip.

Yes, European cards have smart chips in them, which are more secure than the magnetic strip that American banks refuse to give up. The truth is American banks know the superiority of the smart chip cards but refuse to invest in a changeover.

Unfortunately, it seems you will not know whether your card will or will not work until you are there. I recommend calling your bank to inform of your intended use in Portugal. The  MultiBanco machines are secure, so that is not a worry. In contrast, I had repeated trouble using my debit card in Brazil because of a greater incidence of card theft and fraud. A call to my bank cleared up with problem and the system cleared my card within 15 minutes.

Whenever travelling out of the country, it's good to notify your bank ahead of time, giving the dates you will be in particular countries. The same holds for any credit card you choose to use. Different card issuers have different security thresholds at which an account may be stopped. No issuer will reveal its threshold, of course.  A call ahead of time prevents this problem.

Tomas Leal

Frederick Souza

Feb 25, 2013, 9:34:52 AM2/25/13
to azo...@googlegroups.com
We were in Sao Miguel six years ago and stayed in Ponta Delgada and had similar experience.  It was particularly easy to do it right from at the main desk of the hotel.  The transaction fee you refer to is very similar to what the fee was here to convert to Euro's.  We did try to use up all of our Euro's before leaving to return to the US to avoid a similar fee in trading them back to American dollars.  We went for two weeks and started with approximately 2000 in Euros which we purchased at Bank of America here, and only had to buy more cash after we did a shopping day and bought some embroidery and souvenirs.  BTW, when you get to the Azores, check out the shops in the airport as you may find as we did that the stuff they sell is sufficient for your souvenir needs.  You don't say where you are from, but if you are from near Fall RIver, MA, don't waste time, money and effort buying stuff like wine because it is freshly imported almost weekly to the stores in Fall River and often is cheaper to buy here.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.

Thank you,

Frederick Souza
19 Owen Drive
Stonington, CT 06378-1012

Ed

Feb 26, 2013, 8:22:00 AM2/26/13
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I did a quick video, on how easy it is to use the ATM, in the Azores. ATM's are the best way to get euros in my opinion. Second would be going to the local banks.

http://youtu.be/xnH43T9uvBs

-Edward A. de Melo

Richard Francis Pimentel

Feb 26, 2013, 8:47:02 AM2/26/13
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ed for the video.

I would point out that once you see the video you will get suggested videos
on the Acores which are interesting.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel
Spring, TX
Formerly of Epping, New Hampshire

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha, Achada Grande, Bretanha, and Ponta
Delgada, Sao Miguel, Acores
Feb 26, 2013, 2:42:03 PM2/26/13
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Good point Rick, I have a British Airways Visa Card issued by Chase Bank. The last time I got a new card, they made the point that it has a chip and that it is compatible with European ATM's. I haven't done any European travel since receiving it so I can't comment  on how it works in actual use there. On the back there is this statement: "Your card is issued and serviced by Chase Bank USA, NA.

Out of curiosity, I just called customer service to find out what transaction fees might apply. For credit transactions there are no fees. For cash advances, there is a 5% transaction fee with a $10 minimum.

In previous travel to Portugal, I used my credit union ATM card and don't recall paying any significant charges, but as I said it's been a few years.
John Vasconcelos.

Greg's Gmail

Feb 26, 2013, 2:23:56 PM2/26/13
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello group,

I have to say it over and over... I love this group!!!!

I do have to chime in here, someone mentioned Chase...

OK... since I live most of the year in El Salvador (and  we actually use US dollars here)
Most credit cards charge a 3% foreign transaction fee for purchases no matter.

OK... after a few years of this I discovered that Chase started offering a Card called Sapphire.
NO FOREIGN transaction fees, albeit it does cost $95 per year, it does pay points and or cash back.
That usually covers that cost alone.
The requirements to get the Sapphire card we supposed to strict but being retired etc...
they gave the card to me in a few days time.

In 2007 we went to Europe/Portugal and racked up $127.00 of transactions fees on a
CITI Advantage card ($75 fee per year)

The fees for using debit cards are a different story as well as taking a cash advance from the credit card.
Some suggested, and I agree, call you bank.

News flash... We just purchased our tickets and are going to the Azores in May/June

Hope this is of interest.

Greg Dias and Maria Teresa

Faial (Flamengos) and Pico(Candelaria)
Questing...  Dias, Furtado, Silva, Serpa, Pereira
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada --