Wills in Nordeste Village

joe azores

Apr 11, 2012, 1:12:58 PM4/11/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if a Nordeste Village-Sao Miguel "will" from the 1680 era would hold any useful genealogy information, as to parents or grand parents in it? I read that you need to know the deceased person "house number" before asking for a copy of their will? How do you find out the house number of a ancestor? Does the archieve in Ponta Delgada look up and provide copys of wills? How much does a copy of a will-cost? If anyone knows. Thank You-Neil Teixeira

Cheri Mello

Apr 11, 2012, 11:45:13 PM4/11/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Neil,

I believe the wills are filed by the name of the notary or lawyer who drew up the will.  I've never seen one, but I would imagine that a will would not list ancestors but descendants of the deceased.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Eliseu Silva

Apr 12, 2012, 7:21:08 AM4/12/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Hi

There is a list of wills in Ponta Delgada Library. I do not know if it is from everywhere but I know that it states names and places.

eliseu

Judi Phillips

Apr 12, 2012, 8:17:46 AM4/12/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,
You can try Familysearch.org.  They have films of 'Notarials" in Ponta Delgada by year.  I'm not sure if they have them by village or not.
Good luck.
Judi

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:12:58 -0700
From: azor...@gmail.com
To: azo...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Wills in Nordeste Village

Does anyone know if a Nordeste Village-Sao Miguel "will" from the 1680 era would hold any useful genealogy information, as to parents or grand parents in it? I read that you need to know the deceased person "house number" before asking for a copy of their will? How do you find out the house number of a ancestor? Does the archieve in Ponta Delgada look up and provide copys of wills? How much does a copy of a will-cost? If anyone knows. Thank You-Neil Teixeira

Richard Francis Pimentel

Apr 12, 2012, 10:30:25 AM4/12/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com

I looked at one film a number of years ago and found them very difficult to read I could not make any sense to their organization other than they were arranged by date. I believe John Raposo had looked at some perhaps he could add more. I don’t think they are arranged by village.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel

Spring, TX

Formerly of Epping, New Hampshire

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha Ponta Delgada, and Achada Grande,  Sao Miguel, Acores

Apr 12, 2012, 10:03:48 AM4/12/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
could you please send the link to the notarials? I cant find them there
Thank you

Karlushko - Itajai/SC/Brasil - New York/USA
Pesquisando:
Alemanha, Belgica, Brasil, Luxemburgo, Italia, Portugal, Açores, Espanha
Agueda, Aguiar, André, Antunes, Arruda, Baptista, Beirao, Brasil, Bulcão, Cardoso, Correia, Costa, Dias, Dutra, Faria, Fernandes, Ferreira, Figueiro, Gaspar, Gato, Gomes Gonçalves, Guedes, Jorge, Leal, Lemos, Macedo, Machado, Marques, Martins, Matos, Mello, Miranda, Moreira, Nascimento, Netto, Nogueira, Nunes, Oliveira, Pereira, Ponte, Quadrado, Rebello, Rodrigues, Santos, Silva, Silveira, Simão, Sodré, Souza, Vieira, Zabuya, Fiorenzano, Bertemes, Reinert, Ottekier, Van der Gocht, de Pres, Hesse, Laux, Schumer, Jungklaus.

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:12:58 -0700
From: azor...@gmail.com
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone know if a Nordeste Village-Sao Miguel "will" from the 1680 era would hold any useful genealogy information, as to parents or grand parents in it? I read that you need to know the deceased person "house number" before asking for a copy of their will? How do you find out the house number of a ancestor? Does the archieve in Ponta Delgada look up and provide copys of wills? How much does a copy of a will-cost? If anyone knows. Thank You-Neil Teixeira

John Raposo

Apr 12, 2012, 1:26:08 PM4/12/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com
You could start by writing to the archives and asking them what they have and if they are catalogued. There are wills and deeds for Nordeste since my Simas ancestors had them. Rodrigo Rodrigues cites many wills and property transfers and someties it is the only way to trace a lineage back further than existing vital records. I think that a will would only be of genealogical value (beyond 1 or 2 generations) in the case of landed gentry, i.e. morgados who inherited as determined in by an "entailment" (víncula). Those entailments were very detailed as to who begat whom and who could inherit the estate (which could not be divided or parcelled out but had to be inherited and passed on as an entirety) in succeeding generations. (A morgado is a squire, as in "Lark Rise to Candleford", who might also be a hereditary peer, for those of you who have been watching "Downton Abbey". )

Confession rolls (Easter duty records which even in America were duly kept before Vatican II) were a very exact census of all the residents of every household members of communion age in each village homestead. Alas, those rolls have not been catalogued and many have been lost.

John Miranda Raposo

Judi Phillips

Apr 12, 2012, 1:37:58 PM4/12/12
to azo...@googlegroups.com

You have to look on the "old" family search, under library, then catalogue.  Go to www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlc/ , type Acores in "place search", next page click on Acores, scroll down to Notarials.  Top right click on film notes to find out the years.

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:03:48 -0700
From: brem...@yahoo.com.br
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Wills in Nordeste Village
To: azo...@googlegroups.com