Maria Cristina Bento and Ernesto de Amaral..Agua d'Alto..Sao Miguel

Terri

Oct 24, 2009, 7:41:01 AM10/24/09
to Azores Genealogy
I was in Sao Miguel this summer and was able to get the names of my
Great Grandparents and their birthdates. Since i have been back...i
have even started a Geneology course. Every data base i try their
names on or any kind of search always comes up empty and 'no searches
found'. I don't know if i am doing everything i should to find info
from the Azores. Or maybe the info i want just ISN'T on anywhere on
the web that i could look. Is the only thing i can really do next is
order films for baptisms/marriages and death from Salt Lake City? I am
planning a visit to my reference library today to order if i have to.
Maria Cristina Bento. born June 7 1892 in Agua d'Alto (daughter of
Manuel Bento and Maria da Gloria) and................
Ernesto de Amaral born 1896 , son of Jose de Amaral (natural of
freguesia of Sao Pedro) and Maria da Conceicao Melo (natural da
freguesia of Matriz)
Thanks

Cheri Mello

Oct 24, 2009, 11:59:19 AM10/24/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Terri,

Very little for the Azores is on the Internet.  Actually, I saw a poster at a genealogy conference that has the Internet only at the tip of the iceberg. Court houses, libraries and films were the bulk of the iceberg.  So much more is online now, but it's a small fraction.

For Sao Miguel, you will have to order the films.  Once you get close to the year 1800 (or very early 1800s) you may start to find others who are researching the same lines.  Only a few people get lucky and find their family right of the bat (either on the Web or via something like this list/group).  Most people have to research about 200 years worth to find someone else researching the same family.  I find the same to be true on my American lines as well.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JoElayne Johnson

Oct 24, 2009, 9:17:28 PM10/24/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Boy am I glad to hear this! I thought I was the only one who was not finding anything. I know Maria Gravanco came to San Jose CA when she arrived in 1907. She must have met Manuel (De/Da)Mattos there. Cannot find any record of their marriage. The first record I have of them is 1920 census in Butte township, Sutter County, CA. Any suggestions on finding the elusive Mr. Mattos (Mattis) before 1920?

JElayne

From: gfsc...@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 08:59:19 -0700
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Maria Cristina Bento and Ernesto de Amaral..Agua d'Alto..Sao Miguel
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Daniel Jenkins

Oct 25, 2009, 10:00:07 AM10/25/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Dear JElayne ,

I see that you have an extensive file on your Mattos family .

Have you contacted the County Clerk at Colusa. That seems to be the likely place of marriage and birth of son William/Willie.

Based on arrival date Manuel stated and birth info on William , marriage narrows down to 1909-1910.

The only birth I could find was for Alice and mother's maiden name is given as Gravance , sic. Gravanco/Gravanca .

At least you know Manuel was born San Jao .

Have you pulled the death record for Marie 1948 ?
Curiously there was another Manuel Mattos same age born Caldera  in Tulare Co.

Dan Jenkins

From: fran...@hotmail.com
To: azo...@googlegroups.com

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:17:28 -0700

Besotes

Oct 25, 2009, 3:30:37 PM10/25/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello JElayne - I'm interested in your Mattos family.  I too an a Mattos descendent.  You may have posted before on the list, but due to my email change, Google couldn't get me linked up for some time and I've been off-list.  They finally fixed it and I'm back.

My Great-Grandmother - Maria Mattos, daughter of Jose Teixeria Mattos and Isabell Euzebia Mattos (I believe this was his wife?).

They had ten children that I have so far.

John Teixeira Mattos
Jose Mattos
Manuel Perieira Mattos
Manuel Argusto Mattos
Maria Sao Pedro Mattos
Rose Mattos
Tony Mattos
Joaquin Mattos
Maria Santa Mattos
Frank T. Mattos

*Yes two Maneul's and two Maria's.

Many resided in Butte County, some settled in West Sacramento (child of Frank T. Mattos), etc., etc.

Let me know what you think and if any names might be the same as your records.  I do know the family was from Sao Jorge.  A cousin who took a trip
to Sao Jorge with my Great-Grandparents in the 1950's for three months is in the process of copying Mattos family records to send to me.  Hopefully, this
will provide me with more names to compare.

Thank you,

Robin Borba Besotes

Oct 26, 2009, 1:44:40 AM10/26/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

I forgot my Portuguese Great Grandmothers maiden name was Henriques.

She was married to my Portuguese Great Grandfather from Butte County in California.

The cities and towns that they lived in Butte County California are
Clear Creek
Cherokee
Oroville
Chico

Thank you,
Kim Rowe Jenkins

From: dan_je...@hotmail.com

To: azo...@googlegroups.com
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:00:07 +0000

Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.

Daniel Jenkins

Oct 26, 2009, 1:30:37 PM10/26/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Dear JoElayne ,

The Hawaii connection may be true . There was a large migration to there from Azores late 1800s .

I have found many Azorean descs. at Hilo , including the Victorinos .
Dan J.

From: fran...@hotmail.com
To: azo...@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 05:35:15 -0700

Lina Matos

Oct 26, 2009, 2:08:46 PM10/26/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Jose Teixeira de Matos was my grand father, he had a daugther Maria
Matos, are we talking about the same person? please contact me to my
email linam...@gmail.com.

drv...@cs.com

Oct 26, 2009, 4:00:41 PM10/26/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I know that there was a Rose Mattos who lived in Bolinas or Stinston Beach Marin county she signed my Grandmothers papers for citzenship to get a copy she had lost and they where friends for years. I'm still searching my boxes since I moved from CA to Texas.  Loretta Aguiar Valdez

Oct 27, 2009, 9:18:05 AM10/27/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I also descend from Silveira de Mattos, I would like to exchange information
on that branch

Thank you

Karlushko - Itajai/SC/Brasil
Pesquisando:
Santa Catarina, Alemanha, Franca, Holanda, Belgica, Espanha
Portugal, Italia, Luxemburgo

Reinert, Jungklaus, Van der Gocht, Ottekier, Hesse, Laux, Schumer, Bertemes,
Schilling, Fiorenzano, Feijo, Martins, Costa, Dutra, Dias, Silveira, Gato, Sodre,
Andre, Arruda, Aguiar, Lemos, Machado, Mattos, Silveira, Mello, Miranda, Leal
Quadrado, Rebello, Marques, Brasil, Teixeira
, Baptista, Jorge, Van der Burggerie

--- Em seg, 26/10/09, Lina Matos <linam...@gmail.com> escreveu:

Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes

Robin Borba Besotes

Oct 27, 2009, 11:53:32 PM10/27/09
to Azores Genealogy
Hello, My Silveira branch is not on my Mattos branch as far as I
know. From what I have so far my Matto's family was from Sao Jorge.
How about yours?

Besotes

Oct 27, 2009, 11:57:17 PM10/27/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
What a small world.  I'm not sure of any Rose Mattos' yet!  With so many children, there could be a Rose in there some where. :)
Oct 28, 2009, 11:35:19 PM10/28/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Would this person be a family member of yours?
She was my grt grandmother she was about age 27 in 1910.

Carlos Bertemes

Oct 29, 2009, 11:25:58 AM10/29/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I have Mattos in my family from Sao Jorge
We could exchange info in this family

Karlushko - Itajai/SC/Brasil
Pesquisando:
Santa Catarina, Alemanha, Franca, Holanda, Belgica, Espanha
Portugal, Italia, Luxemburgo

Reinert, Jungklaus, Van der Gocht, Ottekier, Hesse, Laux, Schumer, Bertemes,
Schilling, Fiorenzano, Feijo, Martins, Costa, Dutra, Dias, Silveira, Gato, Sodre,
Andre, Arruda, Aguiar, Lemos, Machado, Mattos, Silveira, Mello, Miranda, Leal
Quadrado, Rebello, Marques, Brasil, Teixeira
, Baptista, Jorge, Van der Burggerie

Carlos Bertemes

Oct 29, 2009, 11:09:01 PM10/29/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I know she was born in the Azores I believe Sao Jorge. I was told that her father might have been a Bettencourt. She might have had a brother named Albert Bettencourt. In the 1910 census they are living with a Albert Bettencourt and he is listed as a brother in-law to Rosa's husband.

Dan Gregorio

Linda Norton

Oct 31, 2009, 12:14:51 AM10/31/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if there is any connection. My ggrandfather Antonio de Sousa m.
Jacinta Amelia (my father's mother's paternal side). I don't know what
Jacinta Amelia's last name was, but it may have been Melo and my father told
me she had two sisters; Emilia and ?. I think the unknown sister married an
Amaral. It's very vague. These sisters were born about late 1860's which
would have brought maybe a child down from the marriage around 1890's. Could
be a shot in the dark. They are from Sao Miguel, too.

Linda Borges (Furtado) Norton

Oct 31, 2009, 9:42:44 PM10/31/09
to Azores Genealogy
I am not sure on any connection either...but i will definately keep
your info on hand in case something comes
up. Maria Cristina Bento was born on June 7 1892 and so your years
kinda fit. I have ordered some films from the LDS and it should get
here in about 3 weeks. I don't know what the names of my
ggrandmothers sisters would have been...or even if she had sisters. My
last living grandmother doesn't remember much anymore...but i will
still try sending a letter to the Azores to see if anyone could ask
her about that.
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right

David Ellis

Nov 1, 2009, 11:17:03 AM11/1/09
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Theresa,

My great grandfather was Anibal Couto Bento from Sao Miguel, born 1889
to Jose Bento and Maria G. de Ponte. I only know his parent's names
by his death record in Cambridge, MA. I also found a ship record
entering the US that his mother came to visit(?) in 1916 with his
sister Ermalinda b. 1900. I have been told that Anibal had brother's
he never kept in touch with that may have migrated to Brazil.

Anibal's wife was Maria Isabel Soares Pereira (1890)

Maria was the daughter of: Manuel Jose Pereira (1858) and Maria
Jose Soares (1872)

Manuel's parents: (Maria Filomena da Gloria and Maunel Jose Pereira)
Maria's parent: (Antonio Soares Mereira Dutra and Maria Julia de
Mello)

maybe there is some connection.

David

David Ellis

Nov 1, 2009, 11:20:21 AM11/1/09
to Azores Genealogy
Cheri,

I am wondering where I would go to research and order these "films" I
am hearing about? I am so surprised they allow films to be sent to
people.

Sincerely, David

Cheri Mello

Nov 1, 2009, 8:35:03 PM11/1/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

You would go to your local Family History Center (FHC) to order the films.  To find your nearest FHC, go here: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

The film is not sent to you.  You order it.  It is to be used only at the FHC.

Some public libraries are also able to order these films.  You would have to check with you local library to see if they do this.

Jesse Pacheco

Nov 1, 2009, 8:36:28 PM11/1/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Cheri,

I was wondering if there was a list of FHC's that have the rolls
already? I know that George Pacheco ordered them for the Dartmouth, MA
FHC where the Azores films are always available. Would compiling that
list be possible/useful if it doesn't already exist?
> --
> Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this
> group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area

Cheri Mello

Nov 1, 2009, 10:42:22 PM11/1/09
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Jesse,

The FHCs used to have a software program that tracked which FHCs had which films.  Sadly, it is no longer used.  North Dartmouth has them all.  Oakland, CA has a sizeable collection too.

What I do is keep a printout of the films that I use.  Next to the numbers, I put notes like Portola (meaning Shirley Allegre also has the film).  That way, if I can't read something, I can ask for a second pair of eyes to check.

Terri

Nov 2, 2009, 7:53:54 PM11/2/09
to Azores Genealogy
Hi David...
I will also keep your info on hand...i don't know of anyone in our
family's past going to Brazil...but then again, i've connected through
this site, with distant cousins on my dads side in California that i
never knew about!