Coal Seam Gas (CSG) Extraction - Impacts on the Environment and Health

1 view

Rosemary Nankivell

Feb 20, 2010, 5:28:56 PM2/20/10
to australian-w...@googlegroups.com
Please find attached a point form summary and references for the impacts of CSG Extraction.  I have also included photos of gas sites where sump ponds containing drilling fluids and contaminated water overflowed in a recent rain event in the East Pilliga state forest.  As mentioned, the gas industry is poorly regulated.  Eastern Star/ Santos were told by govt bodies in May 2009 to rectify their poor construction of sump ponds but failed to do so.  The rainfall over the Christmas/New Year period was by no means unusual - certainly far from a 1 in 100yrs event. Gas companies are irresponsible because regulations are not enforced.  All this contaminated water flowed into Jacks Creek in the Namoi Catchment and into the Murray-Darling Basin.  The area is also a very important recharge zone for the Great Artesian Basin.
Please note that importance of aquifers finally being recognized as interconnected and the recent recognition by the National Water Initiative of groundwater and surface water also being connected.  Most farmers will tell you that the river is only as full as the auqifers surrounding it.
Cheers
Rosemary Nankivell
Chairman of the Coal Seam Gas Committee
Caroona Coal Action Group
Wimboyne
QUIRINDI  NSW  2343
ph:  0267474004
mb: 0428 643284
Coal Seam Gas (CSG) Extraction - Environment and Health Impacts.pdf
Gas exploration environmental damage.pdf

Caroline Graham

Feb 24, 2010, 7:47:35 PM2/24/10
to australian-w...@googlegroups.com
Gosh Rosemary ! you are doing great research. I'm becoming really ashamed that I/we have not looked into all this sufficiently, especially as I think Camden may have been an early starter. I had no idea of the kind of problems you raise here. Must get going on some local research.  Julie knows of the farmer Downes, your friend, she says he lives on Brownlow Hill near her in Razorback. The farmer I mentioned to you (still don't knowp his name) was in Finns Rd., Menangle.

Is there an easy way to find out where they source all the water from to do the fraccing ?

regards,

Caroline

Bernard Eddy

Feb 24, 2010, 7:52:19 PM2/24/10
to australian-w...@googlegroups.com
Rosemary and Caroline,
Didn't receive the photos and point summary.
Bernard Eddy
Australian Water Network
Mobile: 0447 605 057

Anne Kennedy

Feb 25, 2010, 12:28:57 AM2/25/10
to australian-w...@googlegroups.com
Rosemary, I agree absolutely with Caroline  -  you are doing the most amazing work & research, we would be lost without all the information and evidence that you uncover.   One day all Australia will thank you, when you've stopped this evil coal (and coal seam gas) mining.
Thank you for all your hard work,
Regards,
Anne
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4893 (20100224) __________

http://www.eset.com

Rosemary Nankivell

Feb 25, 2010, 2:22:36 AM2/25/10
to australian-w...@googlegroups.com
Very kind but we are all in this - but appreciate the thought - besides - look what mountains you have moved!

Rosemary Nankivell

Feb 25, 2010, 2:55:38 AM2/25/10
to australian-w...@googlegroups.com
Bernard FYI - attached
Coal Seam Gas (CSG) Extraction - Environmental and Health Impacts.pdf
Gas exploration environmental damage.pdf

Rosemary Nankivell

Feb 25, 2010, 3:06:01 AM2/25/10
to australian-w...@googlegroups.com
Don't really know a lot about Camden - you should be able to ask your local council.  They should know as your local council should have an exploration license, Method of operations schedule and environmental impact statement etc - all the paperwork.  Yep that it is Edgar Downes on Brownlow Hill.  sorry I can't help you more but it all differs - but there would be no doubt that it would be from a local source.  Fraccing involves the use of explosives - water is used to dewater the aquifer initially - sounds odd but it is part of the process.  If you go to www.ccag.org.au there is an attachment explaining very simply the fraccing process and start up process which is American - sorry I am raving but absolutely exhausted!!!  Will try and think more tomorrow!  You-Tube has very simple explanation also - americans spell it fracking and there are a few films.  Cheers