Audio-Widget not working and MCLK => 24.576MHz?

dspv...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2018, 3:30:40 PM2/25/18
to Audio-Widget
Hello everybody,

I am new to this group. First of all, thank you for your great work so far!

I am currently building an audio-widget clone with some other hardware around it. I made my own PCB layout. So far the AVR32 does show the DFU interface when I set it to programming mode, programming the widget binary via dfu-programmer on Ubuntu seems to work. At least no error messages. ;-)
But I have two question because I can not get it running yet:

1) Once the audio-widget is installed it does not show up in the USB devices list after rebooting the the AVR32 but I can still set it back to programming mode.
Now I recognized that I forgot to connect the AD_MCLK on pin 13. Can it be that the USB Audio task is only started when a clock signal is detected on this pin and since I do not drive this pin yet the device does not show up in the USB list?

2) If I have to drive the AD_MCLK can it be changed to 24.576MHz? The schematic states that it is a 12.288MHz clock, but in my application I have only 24.576MHz available. Thus, it would be nice if I can directly feed this clock to AD_MCLK instead of adding a frequency divider. If it is possible, what do I have to change in the audio-widget software? Hopefully it is an easy hack...

Raphael

Ing. Ondřej Lutera

Feb 25, 2018, 6:11:53 PM2/25/18
to audio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raphael,

1) I thik yes. My dac with widget is detected when some clock is on mclk input. I think some toggle should be enough for usb enumeration. I was same problem when I did my dac a few years ago :)

2) I guess Jaroslav did some tweaks to the firmware to support mclk 24.576 / 22.5792 . But I am not sure if it is integrated to the stable fw.

Best,

Ondrej

Børge Strand-Bergesen

Feb 26, 2018, 2:51:35 AM2/26/18
to audio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The presence of MCLK is essential. Without it the DMA-like output mechanisms don't start properly. The same goes for the clock cross coupling of IO pins.

As for clock division I have re-purposed PA03 as a clock division sensor. Unmounted, internal software pull-up will make it read as '1'. That's the case with old Audio Widgets with hardware /2 clock division. In my newest hardware I use no division, and a resistor to ground is connected to PA03. The sensing pull-up is only applied briefly, and does not consume power over time. I suggest you add the same resistor to your hardware. Then the latest audio-widget-experimental code will divide by a further factor 2 inside the MCU.

Likewise, PA04 is used to differentiate between common-anode and common-cathode LEDs.

I haven't yet come around to publishing the new schematic, so here it is in the attachment.

Cheers,
Børge

U128_2_rev_m_main_20171213_sch.pdf

dspv...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2018, 10:50:40 AM3/2/18
to Audio-Widget
Hi,

many thanks. I'll try this this weekend. Unfortunately I used PA03 for something else, but should be possible to shift it, either my function or the sensing.

Raphael
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to audio-widget...@googlegroups.com.

Børge Strand-Bergesen

Mar 2, 2018, 3:54:50 PM3/2/18
to audio-...@googlegroups.com
Ok. What are you making?

Best,
Børge
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to audio-widget+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

dspv...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2018, 7:55:25 AM3/3/18
to Audio-Widget
I am building a plate amp with DSP and UAC2 support.

dspv...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2018, 2:42:53 AM3/4/18
to Audio-Widget
Good morning,

just another question: I noticed that there are several tasks started. Assuming the MCLK (12.288MHz or 24.576MHz) is not supplied yet, do the other tasks except the UAC1/2 task run or are they waiting for MCLK, too?
Reason: I would like to send some configuration via I2C before MCLK is started.

R.

Børge Strand-Bergesen

Mar 4, 2018, 4:04:30 AM3/4/18
to audio-...@googlegroups.com
You’ll have to try it in the code. There is a simple task with live indication over UART which should always run. With it in place you can experiment with starting the others.

Børge