Plugin to create curated list of subjects

pgdo...@uncg.edu

Jul 13, 2022, 1:23:01 PMJul 13
to ArchivesSpace
Hello all,

My institution is interested in creating a curated list of subject headings that we feel are most researched, requested, or reflective of our collection strengths. Does anyone know of a plugin that could create this for us?

Thanks for the help!

Patrick

Austin Munsell

Jul 13, 2022, 2:02:49 PMJul 13
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hi Patrick,

Have you considered just using Classifications?  That is what we did at UO: https://scua.uoregon.edu/repositories/2/classifications/8, and it seemed to work pretty well.  The only caveat is that either resources need to be added to the classification manually when subject headings are added, or we have to batch review and add collections on a scheduled basis.  We have not settled on a method.

-Austin

Austin Munsell

Collections Manager

Special Collections and University Archives

University of Oregon Libraries

1299 University of Oregon

Eugene, OR 97403

Email: amun...@uoregon.edu

Patrick Dollar

Jul 13, 2022, 2:27:51 PMJul 13
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Austin,

That's interesting! Currently, we were just using classification to designate which collection area a collection is housed in (Manuscripts, University Archives, etc). I like this idea, and I'll run it by the rest of the department.

Thanks,
Patrick

--
Patrick Dollar
Archivist

University Libraries
Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives
P.O. Box 26170, Greensboro, NC 27402-6170

Trevor Thornton

Jul 13, 2022, 3:20:33 PMJul 13
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
We do this using a user-defined field. These are at the bottom of the data entry form, and there are different types. The ones you probably want are at the bottom of this section and are labeled Controlled value 1-4. These are select fields (drop-downs) and the values can be specified in the "Manage Controlled Value Lists" section under the "System" menu.

This presentation (starting at around 19:00) talks about changing the label of the field (from "Controlled value 1" to "Local subject" or whatever makes sense for you):

- Trevor Thornton, NC State University Libraries Libraries

Dan Michelson

Jul 14, 2022, 8:32:49 AMJul 14
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Quick note about using classifications for this purpose.  Unlike subject headings, classifications are repository-specific, which would be a problem if you have a multiple-repository installation.

Dan

--
Dan Michelson
Collections Archivist

For current library access and services details, see Library Services During COVID-19.

Patrick Dollar

Jul 14, 2022, 8:34:24 AMJul 14
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this additional option, Trevor! We have utilized some of the user-defined fields before, so leveraging those controlled vocabulary fields would definitely work. I'm going to present both options to the department to see which they would prefer.

Dan - good point about the classifications. We don't have a multiple-repository installation, fortunately.

Patrick

Hutchinson, Tim

Jul 14, 2022, 2:12:19 PMJul 14
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

I have been trying to figure out what data the Unprocessed Accessions Report is using to determine processing status. The description says it includes “records without a completed date processed field”, but that doesn’t field doesn’t exist in collection management. I tried adding a couple processing_completed events but that didn’t seem to make a difference. It’s possible there’s something else I’ve missed. Is this report still supported?

Thanks

Tim

Johanna Russ

Aug 12, 2022, 11:20:54 AMAug 12
to ArchivesSpace
This thread has been helpful to us, thanks.

Can you link me to an example of doing this with User-Define Fields please?

Also, has anyone considered using Subjects, but adding a new Source (not LCSH or Getty, or even Local) for this small curated list of broad subjects? We thought that might be a third way to accomplish this, but then we're not sure how that list--the subjects from that source--would get pulled together and displayed to the public as browsing categories. Thoughts?

thanks,
Johanna Russ
Chicago Public Library
Message has been deleted