How to translate Arches' Ontology?

Angel Collado

Mar 7, 2021, 8:34:10 PM3/7/21
to Arches Project
Hello everyone. I am new to Arches and I don't know how to translate the complete Arches ontology, if possible, into another language, in my case into Spanish. I have version 5.1.0 installed and I have been able to translate some things related to the settings file to the language and .po files. But I have not been able to find how to translate the ontology in an automatic way, as I know that it can be done manually for the name of each of the attributes/nodes/concepts.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Angel.

Mahmoud Abdelrazek

Mar 8, 2021, 8:41:54 AM3/8/21
to Arches Project
Hi Angel,

Welcome to Arches community.
If I understand your question correctly, then you are looking for a translation for the cidoc-crm which is supported by Arches. If that is the case then official translations are listed here http://www.cidoc-crm.org/translations. Unfortunately, they do not include Spanish. If you managed to translate the ontology and want to load it to Arches, please check https://arches.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ontologies-in-arches/#loading-an-ontology
Please do elaborate further if I missed the point of your question.

Best wishes,
Mahmoud

guido cimadomo

Mar 13, 2021, 5:21:31 PM3/13/21
to Arches Project
Hi Angel,
some years ago I was also exploring the possibility to translate the cidoc-crm onthology into Spanish.
If it can help, what I come out with is that to make it properly, it has to be done from a team (with background in archaelogy, heritage, architecture...). It is not a one-man work...
Maybe it is the time to reconsider it and set up a team to develop it!!
Feel free to contact me directly in Spanish.
best,
guido

George Bruseker

Mar 19, 2021, 10:50:34 AM3/19/21
to guido cimadomo, Arches Project
Dear all,

I tried to send a reply all the other day but I guess it just went to Angel.

My name is George Bruseker and one of the hats I wear is being a vice-chair for the CIDOC CRM SIG which develops and maintains the ontology typically deployed in Arches cultural heritage projects.

The ontology in Arches (CIDOC CRM) is an international standard. It currently has translations into a number of languages but not Spanish. This has been a hole in the community for a long time.

Since we are releasing / have released the new official version of CIDOC CRM (7.1), there is great interest in updating the translation of the RDF and the official specification texts so that ever more communities can adopt it.

Here is the issue announcement:

This issue was accepted to be moved forward in the meeting. A communal effort will be started to move forward in connecting different teams (concerned with different languages) to share ideas, methods and protocols for achieving a good translation.

The effort will initially be spearheaded by Philippe Michon of the Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN).

A spanish translation of the standard is, regardless, badly needed. If you decide to get going, it is true that you would likely need a team and time, but the results would certainly be a big contribution. There are probably a number of institutions which could contribute.

The translation of the Arches interface itself is of course a different question to that of the translation of the ontology, but nonetheless interrelated.

If you want more contact information for these initiatives feel free to ping me to get you in touch. I would love to follow your progress on the translation if you move forward.

Best,

George

guido cimadomo

Mar 22, 2021, 10:51:19 AM3/22/21
to Arches Project
Thanks George...
I had a talk with Martin Doerr several years ago, what I remember was mostly related with the need of a multidisciplinary team to approach this task.
Maybe time has come to make another attempt...
My background is in architecture and heritage documentation/catalogation.
Will be happy to keep in touch and discuss possible developments...
best
guido