Multi-language (Internationalization) support for Arches

Dennis Wuthrich

Apr 27, 2021, 5:56:33 PM4/27/21
to Arches Project
Hello Arches users.  We’ve heard from a few members of the community that they would like Arches to support multiple languages so that their users can interact with resource information in languages other than English.

We are preparing to support the internationalization of Arches and would like to hear from users who require support for languages other than English.  If you are working with multiple languages we would like to hear your real-world requirements for how Arches should support your work.  We're are particularly interested in your internationalization requirements for user interfaces, data modeling, bulk data import/export, and any other feature that you think would help support additional languages.

Thanks in advance for sharing your use cases.

Cheers,

Dennis

Markus S.

May 4, 2021, 5:56:32 PM5/4/21
to Arches Project
Hi Dennis,

We here at Parks Canada are very interested in Arches internationalization. We are slowly building our Arches system to capture information on historic places, persons and events, among other things. We are required by law to provide content to the end users in both English and French. In some cases there might also be requirements for other languages such as Inuktitut.

Our legacy data already exists in English and French and we need to be able to import both languages. For new and old (dynamic) content, good translation tools will be important for us. We expect some people to enter content in English, fewer in French. Then professional translators will need to be able to find untranslated content and translate it. The smoother this workflow could be, the better. Also, we should not publish any content that is missing any translations, so data validation around translations would be valuable.

We will likely be pulling data via REST APIs to other portals and sites. We hope that API end points can serve all languages in a well-organized manner.

We look forward to supporting this process wherever we can!

Regards,

Markus
Parks Canada