Timed lights?

Chillihead

Mar 22, 2018, 4:57:50 AM3/22/18
to Apilio
One of the shortcomings with Google Home is the inability to ask GH to turn off a light in x minutes.

I thought that doing this with IFTTT and Apilio would work, but I can't figure it out.

does anyone know how to go about doing this?

TIA.

Chillihead

Mar 22, 2018, 5:00:59 AM3/22/18
to Apilio
So far I have IFTTT either setting a variable or executing a logic block (set to wait 60 seconds) when I say the command, but once the 60 seconds has timed out, I need that to come back and actually fire the event.

pebneter

Mar 22, 2018, 12:11:28 PM3/22/18
to Apilio
Can you control the light via IFTTT?
And does the delay have to be individual or can it always be the same delay?

Chillihead

Mar 22, 2018, 1:50:21 PM3/22/18
to Apilio
I can control the lights via IFTTT, so I know that part will work.

In terms of delay, it would be awesome if I could use a number in the command but would be happy for it to be fixed...

Chillihead

Mar 22, 2018, 8:17:45 PM3/22/18
to Apilio
I have figured this out and have it working. Happy to share my secret sauce if anyone is interested.

pebneter

Mar 23, 2018, 12:56:14 AM3/23/18
to Apilio
Yes, definitely!

Chillihead

Mar 23, 2018, 2:07:54 AM3/23/18
to Apilio
Sweet. I wrote a guide for my mate, so I'll just attach that.

This is hopefully everything you need. I've tested what I set up and it works, then wrote then guide based on that.
How to set up timed lights using Google Home.docx

Chillihead

Mar 23, 2018, 12:17:47 PM3/23/18
to Apilio
I forgot to mention that this is only the lights off part of the process. I guess adding the lights on bit wouldn't be too hard?

pebneter

Mar 23, 2018, 12:46:29 PM3/23/18
to Apilio
Thanks! and yes, that would be almost the same setup.

Chillihead

Mar 25, 2018, 9:47:51 PM3/25/18
to Apilio
After much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair (which I could little afford!)  I figured out how to do this properly, setting the time value as part of the command.

I'm happy to once again share the secret sauce if you want it?

pebneter

Mar 26, 2018, 12:23:04 AM3/26/18
to Apilio
That would be very interesting of course!

Chillihead

Mar 26, 2018, 2:58:12 AM3/26/18
to Apilio
Cool, I'll update the doc tomorrow and upload the new version.

Chillihead

Mar 26, 2018, 4:38:23 PM3/26/18
to Apilio
Here's the version 2 doc.

I'm now thinking about how I can expand this to include the name of the lights, along with the timer variable. However, this time I'm pretty sure it can't be done.
How to set up timed lights using Google Home V2.docx

Chillihead

Mar 26, 2018, 4:46:34 PM3/26/18
to Apilio
I've just realised that you ARE apilio.io - good work!

pebneter

Mar 28, 2018, 12:50:09 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Hi!
Thnaks for your documentation. But... I think it wont‘t work (or I don‘t get it).
This is because your int_timer will never count down 0, and therefore the cnd_timer_reday will never be met. Or do I miss something?

But as I am reading your document, I see that I schould add the ability to use numeric variables as delay timers in the action config. Then your setup would be very simple to build. I have to think about it a bit more.

Cheers
Philipp

michae...@panyarathighschool.ac.th

Mar 28, 2018, 2:32:40 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Thanks for the document.  I tried it and the init_Timer variable remains set at 60.

Michael

Mar 28, 2018, 2:36:14 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Do we have to use the Subtact URL to make the timer countdown?

Chillihead

Mar 28, 2018, 3:10:59 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Hi yes sorry, use the subtract variable. Did I put the add variable in the documentation? That must be a hangover from V1.

My apologies.

Chillihead

Mar 28, 2018, 3:11:53 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Thanks, yes I think it would be possible to simplify this even further. But that's programming for ;-)

Michael

Mar 28, 2018, 3:54:35 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
One more thing.  The SUBTRACT URL needs to be modified.  "your-value-goes-here" should be set to 1.

Is this correct?

Chillihead

Mar 28, 2018, 4:14:47 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Yep, set it to subtract 1 at a time.

Michael

Mar 28, 2018, 4:52:05 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Thanks Chillihead.  I find that it now works without the 2nd Logicblock.  Instead, I made the negative event be "timer_complete".

This is working so far.  We'll see.

Chillihead

Mar 28, 2018, 5:04:33 AM3/28/18
to Apilio
Excellent!

Chillihead

Mar 28, 2018, 1:42:02 PM3/28/18
to Apilio
I have changed my first logicblock to use the negative event and can confirm that it also works for me. That simplifies it nicely.

Thanks!

I'll revise the documentation and upload a bit later today.

Chillihead

Mar 28, 2018, 3:34:33 PM3/28/18
to Apilio
V2.1 documentation.

Corrected the URL used for the timer countdown. Was set to the Add URL, should have been Subtract.
Removed the second LogicBlock, as it was unnecessary. Setting the negative action to "timer_complete' in the main LogicBlock provided the same result.

Thanks to Micheal and Peter for finding these changes.
How to set up timed lights using Google Home V2.docx

squire

Jul 15, 2018, 9:00:14 AM7/15/18
to Apilio
i created my first apilio.io integration today as a timer to switch off the tv after x minutes.

it was working with the testing all day, although it seems now the timers are no longer evaluating or decrementing the value every minute like earlier.

is there some overhead why this wouldnt process anymore?

Chillihead

Jul 15, 2018, 5:08:16 PM7/15/18
to Apilio
Hey mate,

two things to check:
1) Look at the apilio.io web site and see if the variables are being updated. There is a last updated date / time, plus of course their values.
2) Have a look at your activity in IFTTT.com and see if the web hooks are being called.

pebneter

Jul 16, 2018, 12:52:32 AM7/16/18
to Apilio
I deployed some bugfixes over the weekend. Let me know if you believe something is broken!

Chillihead

Jul 16, 2018, 2:15:41 AM7/16/18
to Apilio
Seems ok. I just did a test and my light turned off when asked.

squire

Jul 16, 2018, 7:07:57 AM7/16/18
to Apilio
thanks guys, attached history from IFTTT showing API service was down.

counter eventually reached zero, although this was some hours after event was triggered.

note screenshot timing is GMT+8

timer seems to be working again now, which is great!
failed trigger.PNG
failed trigger 2 - Copy.PNG
failed trigger 3 - Copy.PNG
working trigger - Copy.PNG

steph...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2019, 11:18:42 AM7/5/19
to Apilio
Is there an update that broke this? I followed the last doc but it isn't working, my lights turn off I instantly rather than with the requested time

steph...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2019, 1:11:39 PM7/5/19
to Apilio
Got it working!  The document has a few key bits missing that really confuses some one who has bare minimum programming knowledge (like me lol).  But I got it!  Thank you for the guide! :D