An update image for ASUS T100

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 14, 2014, 10:57:57 AM9/14/14
to Android-x86
The image is built from android-x86 4.4 codebase

What work:
* Graphic (OpenGL ES2/ES3)
* Touch
* Wifi
* Audio
* Battery
* Reboot/shutdown

Not work:
* Bluetooth
* Sensors
* Camera
* MicroSD
* Backlight
* Internal Mic
* Power and volume buttons
* Installer (but you may install it manually)

Known issue:
* Sometimes the system becomes very slow.

How to use:
dd the image to a usb disk and boot from it.

Especially thanks to pstglia who worked out
the android kernel 3.16 for us.
Without his great work it's impossible
to make the big progress.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Vaidotas

Sep 14, 2014, 2:57:07 PM9/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What changes need to be made for this img to work on Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet? It is similar to Asus T100, just screen resolution is smaller (800x1280). I've tested this version and only get blank screen after console messages.

pstglia

Sep 14, 2014, 6:49:07 PM9/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What changes need to be made for this img to work on Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet? It is similar to Asus T100, just screen resolution is smaller (800x1280). I've tested this version and only get blank screen after console messages.
Hi. As I could check, your tablet uses a Z2760 SoC. Integrated GPU is based on "PowerVR SGX 545", which Intel keeps closed source (drivers). Also, these drivers provided by Intel are outdated, so they'll not work on kernel 3.16 (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

T100 in other hand is a "Z3740" and uses Intel HD Graphics, which is supported by Open Source Drivers

I'm afraid there's not much that can be done for your Tablet now.... But things may change

Rinaldo Jonathan

Sep 14, 2014, 7:21:40 PM9/14/14
to android-x86

Wow, the development is fast when my tablet is already broken :'(

Anybody have broken their digitizer? Where can I get a replacement (except ASUS service center)?

pstglia

Sep 14, 2014, 7:51:59 PM9/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Anybody have broken their digitizer? Where can I get a replacement (except ASUS service center)?

mike r

Sep 14, 2014, 9:03:45 PM9/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bro You are one I need Help From....Just say'n

Mike

Rinaldo Jonathan

Sep 15, 2014, 1:21:38 AM9/15/14
to android-x86

Thanks for the link, will check it out if they have a digitizer for my t100 (as my t100ta have different digitizer with t100ca)

Vaidotas

Sep 15, 2014, 2:12:42 PM9/15/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Actually Lenovo Miix 2 8 has Z3740 CPU. Full specs here: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/ideatab/miix-series/miix-2/#techspecs
I was able to boot recent Ubuntu 14.10 beta and display worked correctly out of the box. But touchscreen and most of other hardware wasn't. I wonder if changing some resolution related settings could make android-x86 work on my tablet?

pstglia

Sep 15, 2014, 7:56:32 PM9/15/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
In this case can you provide logcat and dmesg logs? A lsmod ouput will be usefull also

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 16, 2014, 12:10:50 AM9/16/14
to Android-x86
Someone ask if it's possible to save data to usb
so it won't lose after power off.
Surely it can.

Since the image is less than 500MB. Suppose you
dd it to a 4GB usb disk, you still have about 3.5G
free space that could be used to save data.
You just need to create the second partition on the usb disk,
format it and tell android-x86 to use it.
Here are the steps (on a Linux host with root privilege):

* umount /dev/sdd1
  (assume the usb disk is sdd, may need to adjust it yourself.
   ignore the step if /dev/sdd1 is not mounted)

* fdisk /dev/sdd
  n   <== new partition
  p   <== primary partition
  2   <== partition 2
  enter 2 times (create partition with default size)
  w   <== save and exit

* mkfs.ext4 -L data /dev/sdd2

* mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt

* vi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg  (may use any editor you like)
  change the line beginning with 'linuxefi', add DATA=sda2
  like:

  linuxefi /kernel androidboot.hardware=android_x86 HWACCEL= INSTALL= DEBUG= DATA=sda2

  save it and exit.

  DATA=sda2 means the 2nd partition of the first boot disk.
  On some sku models the boot disk may become sdb.
  (check the boot "Detecting Android-x86... found ..." message)
  In this case you should change DATA=sdb2.

* sync; umount /mnt

Now you can boot the usb disk on T100 and
data will be saved to the free space of the usb disk.
I suggest you use a USB 3.0 disk. Otherwise it
may be too slow so you will encounter ANR usually.

The steps could also be carried out on Windows.
But I'm not familiar with it. Google it yourself.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Sep 16, 2014, 1:06:02 AM9/16/14
to android-x86

Is DATA=data.img not supported anymore?

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 16, 2014, 2:32:52 AM9/16/14
to Android-x86

> Is DATA=data.img not supported anymore?

When it is supported?

If you create data.img under the path containing
system.sfs, it will be mounted automatically.
No need to specify DATA.

Rinaldo Jonathan

Sep 16, 2014, 2:37:06 AM9/16/14
to android-x86

I cant remember, but long time ago android installer asks to make data.img... And also specify DATA=data.img in grub. So I'm confused somehow. Sorry :(

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 16, 2014, 3:07:46 AM9/16/14
to Android-x86
> I cant remember, but long time ago android installer asks to make
> data.img... And also specify DATA=data.img in grub. So I'm confused somehow.
> Sorry :(

Creating data.img is still supported.
(only when you install to an ntfs or vfat partition)
Specifying DATA=data.img is not necessary and invalid (ignored).

Ron Coit

Sep 16, 2014, 7:32:23 AM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This is not true. I have a Lenovo Miix2 8 and I can tell you for a fact that it does have Z3740 Processor with Intel HD graphics. It also has the same Broadcom wireless chip as the T100, but it does have a lower res screen (1280x800). The same res as the Dell Venue 8 Pro and several other low end Win8 tablets. I have booted mine into Linux (Arch Linux) and run the display fine with the Intel open source drive. I did have to pass the kernel perimeter video=VGA-1:1200x800e to get it to work, but the Fedlet Fedora remix for these tablets does not need the video kernel perimeter and brings up Intel graphics just fine.

I tried to boot up this version of android, but unfortunately although the screen does seem to shift into a graphics mode (after it finishes booting) it remains blank in the end. I was able to boot it up in debug mode but that only gives me a command prompt and no graphics.

Ron Coit

Ron Coit

Sep 16, 2014, 9:06:35 AM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Sorry about my post above I did not realize that some else had already responded. Here are the files you requested from my Arch linux boot. I have the touch screen and Xorg working fine. I do not have internal wireless, Bluetooth or camera working.

Ron Coit
cpuinfo.txt
dmesg.txt
lsmod.txt

Ron Coit

Sep 16, 2014, 9:27:29 AM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This is the GitHub of the the man that is working on Fedlet a Fedora remix of these kinds of tablets

https://github.com/AdamWill/baytrail-m

Vaidotas

Sep 16, 2014, 4:01:41 PM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I could gladly get some logs, but there's an issue. After booting the surfaceflinger is repeatedly trying to start and is clearing screen at about 20s intervals. Switching to other virtual terminal doesn't help. Is there any way to kill surfaceflinger starting script?

pstglia

Sep 16, 2014, 5:13:26 PM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You can execute stop on console terminal. This will kill Surfaceflinger & other processes

Ricardo Castro

Sep 16, 2014, 6:51:49 PM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:13:26 PM UTC-4, pstglia wrote:
You can execute stop on console terminal. This will kill Surfaceflinger & other processes

you sir are the man thank you sir

Ricardo Castro

Sep 16, 2014, 6:53:22 PM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

thank You sir

pstglia

Sep 16, 2014, 10:23:55 PM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

Sorry about my post above I did not realize that some else had already responded. Here are the files you requested from my Arch linux boot. I have the touch screen and Xorg working fine. I do not have internal wireless, Bluetooth or camera working.

Thanks for the logs, but we also need dmesg/logcat output from Android-x86 boot. This way we have clues what could avoid image display

If possible, try booting under debug mode (the grub entry with DEBUG=2), type the "exits" when requested. After this, switch to console (alt+F1) and copy /data/log.txt to a flashdrive or hard disk partition. You can use these instructions (got from Mauro Rossi posting on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/WkwkrP38M1o%5B101-125-false%5D):

[ALT]+[F1]
cd data
mkdir x

[insert USB drive to save logs and see if is sdb1 or sdc1 or sdd1, and so on]
busybox mount /dev/block/sdc1 x     (or what appeard instead of sdc1 when inserting USB flash drive)
cd x
cp /data/log.txt logcat_card_YYYYMMDD.txt
dmesg > dmesg_card_YYYYMMDD.txt
adb shell dumpsys SurfaceFlinger > dumpsys_card_YYYYMMDD.txt

Regards,
pstglia

Ron Coit

Sep 17, 2014, 8:19:05 AM9/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry but once once I type the last "exit" and it start to boot full android, the screen goes blank and no amount of hitting ALT+F1 or ALT+F2 or ALT+F3 will bring the screen  back to life.

I was able to get the logcat_card_20140917.txt file by adding a DATA=sda2 entry to the grub.cfg file, but I was unable to get the other two files.

I was able to get a dmesg before the final exit was typed and android full started to boot, but I guess it is is not useful. I have included it anyway just in case.
dmesg_card_before_20140917.txt
logcat_card_20140917.txt

Abbas Mohammadi

Sep 17, 2014, 12:56:41 PM9/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
why do you built android for asus tx300ca tablet?
every driver work just auto rotate not work .
if you do this you have full android image that can be one of the best of image and more than 1000 people can use this as second os as like as me
thanks alot

Vaidotas

Sep 17, 2014, 2:07:46 PM9/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
When booting normally (or in debug mode) after loading screen blinks and stays blank. I got some luck only booting with nomodeset boot parameter. That way I can get into console.
Here's logs from booting with nomodeset. If you have any ideas, how to debug normal boot mode - I could get logs from there too, if only I could get to console.

I can actually boot latest "fedlet" with working video, but only with nomodeset parameter. Touchscreen or any other interesting hardware doesn't work there.
lenovo-miix-2-8-logs.zip

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 17, 2014, 11:04:38 PM9/17/14
to Android-x86
From the logcat, SurfacFlinger (pid 1443) got some errors:

09-17 07:57:56.282 1443 1478 E BufferQueue: [BootAnimation]
dequeueBuffer: time out and will free all buffer!
09-17 07:57:57.106 1443 1790 D PermissionCache: checking
android.permission.ACCESS_SURFACE_FLINGER for uid=1000 => granted (0
us)
09-17 07:57:57.106 1750 1764 I WindowManager: No existing display
settings /data/system/display_settings.xml; starting empty
09-17 07:57:58.745 1443 1476 W SurfaceFlinger: received signal 12 in
thread 1476, resending to 1769
09-17 07:57:58.757 1443 1477 W SurfaceFlinger: received signal 12 in
thread 1477, resending to 1769
09-17 07:57:58.769 1443 1478 W SurfaceFlinger: received signal 12 in
thread 1478, resending to 1769

(the message lasts forever)

I guess the kernel driver has some issues on your hardware...
> --

Message has been deleted

pstglia

Sep 17, 2014, 11:20:26 PM9/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Here's logs from booting with nomodeset. If you have any ideas, how to debug normal boot mode - I could get logs from there too, if only I could get to console.

To get logcat, you can use the method Ron Coit used (set DATA=PARTITION_NAME )

To get some dmesg info, boot under debug mode without "nomodeset parameter". Before "Use Alt-F1/F2/F3 to switch between virtual consoles" message, get dmesg output
Also, get lsmod output and "cat /dev/fb".
This will give a minimal info which drivers are being loaded and if you are using drm

Regards,
pstglia

pstglia

Sep 17, 2014, 11:31:16 PM9/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I was able to get a dmesg before the final exit was typed and android full started to boot, but I guess it is is not useful. I have included it anyway just in case.

This dmesg output was got  just before "Use Alt-F1/F2/F3 to switch between virtual consoles" message?

Can you also provide the output from "cat /proc/fb" and lsmod?

Chih-Wei,
  Does T100 uses i915/i965 driver? I couldn't find these info on dmesg output Ron provided. Seems like it's not being loaded

Thanks,
pstglia

Chih-Wei Huang

Sep 17, 2014, 11:56:59 PM9/17/14
to Android-x86

> This dmesg output was got just before "Use Alt-F1/F2/F3 to switch between
> virtual consoles" message?
>
> Can you also provide the output from "cat /proc/fb" and lsmod?
>
> Chih-Wei,
> Does T100 uses i915/i965 driver? I couldn't find these info on dmesg

Yes, it is.

> output Ron provided. Seems like it's not being loaded

It loaded ok (search GRALLOC).
But later SurfaceFlinger got errors.

Ron Coit

Sep 18, 2014, 8:30:32 AM9/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Here are the file you requested. Taken before the Use Alt-F1/F2/F3 to switch between virtual consoles" message

There was no /dev/fb, but there was a /dev/fb0

I am not sure if I took the previous dmesg before or after the above message.

Ron
dmesg_20140918.txt
fb0_20140918.txt
lsmod_20140918.txt
Message has been deleted

pstglia

Sep 20, 2014, 3:31:25 PM9/20/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

There was no /dev/fb, but there was a /dev/fb0
Sorry, my fault. What I want to really see is the output of /proc/fb ( /proc dir instead of /dev). I'm expecting to get as result "inteldrmfb".

Here are the file you requested. Taken before the Use Alt-F1/F2/F3 to switch between virtual consoles" message
lsmod should return more loaded modules. Your output just have atkdb.

Just to confirm. There are 2 exit points under debug mode:

1) "Type 'exit' to continue booting..." message
2) "Use Alt-F1/F2/F3 to switch between virtual consoles" message

These cmds must be executed on 2nd step.

If you did this, Try force loading the module at this point:

modprobe i915

After this, check if you have it listed on lsmod and if you have "inteldrmfb" on /proc/fb

 If positive (lsmod returns i915 and and /proc/fb returns inteldrmfb), type exit and continue booting. And let's see what we got

* * *

Another info I got:

1) logcat showed the drm driver was created for "i915". And egl/mesa fails to create a pipe screen for "i965" (maybe just a harmless typo on a debug output) :

09-17 07:57:51.107  1773  1776 I GRALLOC-DRM: create intel for driver: i915
09-17 07:57:51.107  1773  1776 W EGL-GALLIUM: failed to create a pipe screen for i965
09-17 07:57:51.107  1773  1776 W EGL-GALLIUM: failed to create DRM screen
09-17 07:57:51.107  1773  1776 W EGL-GALLIUM: will fall back to other EGL drivers if any

Under 9.2.0 Mesa code, i965 tries to use "ilo" to create a pipe drm screen...

# src/gallium/targets/egl-static/egl_pipe.c
struct pipe_screen *
egl_pipe_create_drm_screen(const char *name, int fd)
{
   if (strcmp(name, "i915") == 0)
      return pipe_i915_create_screen(fd);
-->   else if (strcmp(name, "i965") == 0)
-->      return pipe_ilo_create_screen(fd);
   else if (strcmp(name, "nouveau") == 0)
      return pipe_nouveau_create_screen(fd);
   else if (strcmp(name, "r300") == 0)
      return pipe_r300_create_screen(fd);
   else if (strcmp(name, "r600") == 0)
      return pipe_r600_create_screen(fd);
   else if (strcmp(name, "radeonsi") == 0)
      return pipe_radeonsi_create_screen(fd);
   else if (strcmp(name, "vmwgfx") == 0)
      return pipe_vmwgfx_create_screen(fd);
   else if (strcmp(name, "kgsl") == 0)
      return pipe_freedreno_create_screen(fd);
   else
      return NULL;
}

Seems this errors occurs because it's trying to use ilo, which suppose it's not enabled (unless this was changed in this test iso)

Message has been deleted

Gabriel Moysan

Sep 21, 2014, 4:23:21 AM9/21/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
how install android x86 to harddisk on asus t100 ?
Thanks in advance
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Ron Coit

Sep 21, 2014, 8:42:06 AM9/21/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I booted to the second state after typing the first exit and looked at lsmod and the i915 mod was NOT loaded, so I did a modprobe i915 and then I took the files I attached.

 I then typed exit again and it booted into android with full and proper graphics.

 It was very slow, but I was able to select a language and tap through to the Welcome screen. I don't know if it hung at that point or it was just very slow, but I shut it down with the power button after 5 mins.

Ron Coit
demsg_20140920.txt
fb_20140920.txt
log_20140920.txt