Re: mev tem

1 view

m agarr

Feb 9, 2024, 1:09:10 AMFeb 9

Re: The Ama

Marc Verhaegen wrote:> Some fanatic who still believes his ancestors ran
after African antelopes:

>> Ama divers do not look *anything* like the mythical
>> aquatic ape.
>

> Yes, they look very much like our Pleistocene ancestors along S-Asian
coasts:

=============

Re: Ama physiology

Marc Verhaegen wrote:> Op maandag 5 februari 2024 om 22:36:04 UTC+1
schreef somebody:

>> From 1967
>> Quite a number of interesting facts.
>> http://userhome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/anthro/jbeatty/CORESEA/AMA.pdf
>> The Diving Women of Korea and Japan
>> Some 30,000 of these breath-holding divers,
>> called ama, are employed in daily foraging
>> for food on the bottom of the sea.
>
> Yes, voluntary breath-holding is exclusively seen in (semi)aquatic
mammals.

>> Their performance is of particular interest to the physiologist
>> "She carries a counterweight (of about 30 pounds)
>> to pull her to the bottom..."
>
> Yes, that's why H.erectus had pachyosteosclerosis (google):
> very thick & heavy skeleton (probably more brittle: too much
calcium), exclusively seen in tetrapods that regularly dive for littoral
foods
> = diving-adaptation in slow+shallow-diving, e.g. Sirenia, earliest
fossil Cetacea etc.
> (Not vice versa: deep+fast divers such as present-day Cetacea have
light skeletons!)

>> "If she dives deeper than the level of maximum
>> lung compression (her "residual lung volume"),
>> she becomes subject to a painful lung squeeze;
>> moreover, because the hydrostatic pressure in
>> her blood vessels then exceeds the air
>> pressure in her lungs, the pulmonary
>> blood vessels may burst."
>> "Lanphier has calculated that repeated dives to
>> depths of 120 feet, such as are performed by male
>> pearl divers in the Tuamotu Archipelago of the
>> South Pacific, can result in enough accumulation
>> of nitrogen in the blood to cause the bends
>> on ascent."
>> "To compensate for this loss the Korean diving
>> woman eats considerably more than her nondiving
>> sisters. The ama's daily food consumption amounts
>> to about 3000 kcal, whereas the
>> average for non-diving Korean women of
>> comparable age is on the order of 2000 kcal/day."
>> "They showed, for one thing, that with the same
>> thickness of subcutaneous fat, divers had less
>> heat loss than non-divers. This was taken to
>> indicate that the divers' fatty insulation is
>> supplemented by some kind of vascular adaptation
>> that restricts the loss of heat from the blood
>> vessels to the skin, particularly in the arms and
>> legs. Secondly, the observations disclosed that
>> in winter the diving women lose about half of
>> their subcutaneous fat (although non-divers do
>> not)."
>
> Yes, thanks a lot, this nicely confirms we had frequently-diving
ancestors still in the Pleistocene:

> Ape+human evolution, recent insights, google e.g.
> - David Attenborough Marc Verhaegen
> - Gondwanatalks Verhaegen
> - aquarboreal
> - Mario Vaneechoutte cs 2024 Nature Anthropology 2,10007
> “Have we been barking up the wrong ancestral tree?
> Australopithecines are probably not our ancestors”
> open access https://www.sciepublish.com/article/pii/94

==========

Re: archaic Homo dived for aquatic nuts

Marc Verhaegen wrote:> Op maandag 5 februari 2024 om 22:17:21 UTC+1
schreef Primum Sapienti:

>> Babies can cover their noses with their upper lip
>
> :-DDD
> Do you really *think* that, my boy???
> Already caught your kudu?

==============

Re: Upcoming marathons in Belgium and Massachusetts

Marc Verhaegen wrote:> Op maandag 5 februari 2024 om 06:08:02 UTC+1
schreef "antelope hunter":

>> There is no equivalent for swimming and diving.
>
> Some humans can run 42 km in 2 hours... :-DDD

=====

Re: Miocene Hominoidea

Marc Verhaegen wrote:> Systematics of Miocene apes:
> State of the art of a neverending controversy
> A Urciuoli & DM Alba 2023 JHE 175,103309
> doi 10.1016/j.jhevol.2022.103309
>
> Hominoids diverged from cercopithecoids in Oligocene Afro-Arabia,
initially radiating in Africa, subsequently dispersing into Eurasia.
> From the Late-Miocene onward, hominoid geographic range
progressively shrank, except for hominins, which dispersed out of Africa
during the Pleistocene.
> The overall picture of hominoid evolution is clear based on available
fossil evidence,
> but many uncertainties persist re. the phylogeny & paleo-biogeography
of Miocene apes (non-hominin hominoids):
> sparse record, pervasive homoplasy, decimated current diversity of
this group.
> We review Miocene ape systematics & evolution, by focusing on the
most parsimonious cladograms published during the last decade.
> 1) we provide a historical account of the progress made in Miocene
ape phylogeny & paleo-bio-geography, report an updated classification of
Miocene apes, and provide a list of Miocene ape species-locality
occurrences + an analysis of their paleo-biodiversity dynamics.
> 2) we discuss various critical issues of Miocene ape phylogeny &
paleo-biogeography (hylobatid & crown hominid origins + the
relationships of Oreopithecus) in the light of the highly divergent
results obtained from cladistic analyses of cranio-dental & post-cranial
characters separately.
> Concl.:
> cladistic efforts to disentangle Miocene ape phylogeny are
potentially biased by a long-branch attraction problem, caused by the
numerous post-cranial similarities shared between hylobatids & hominids,
despite the increasingly held view that they are likely homoplastic to a
large extent, as illustrated by Siva- & Pierola-pithecus, and further
aggravated by abundant missing data, owing to incomplete preservation.
> IOO, besides the recovery of additional fossils, the retrieval of
paleo-proteomic data & a better integration between cladistics &
geometric morphometrics, Miocene ape phylogenetics should take advantage
of total-evidence (tip-dating) Bayesian methods of phylogenetic
inference combining morphologic, molecular & chrono-stratigraphic data:
was hylobatid divergence more basal than currently supported?

> ("neverending"? :-) see my comment there)

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.anthropology.paleo/c/VP6Rgd6z84o/m/cNpLpx_XDAAJ

AFAIK, only humans have a philtrum? This fits
perfectly to the inferior part of the esternal
nasal septum. Together with archaic prognathism,
this suggests the nostrils could be closed with
the upper lip in He & Hn.

aqua-babies

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.anthropology.paleo/c/paBthDiBLi8/m/Eing1ukjAAAJ

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.anthropology.paleo/c/bNy7hkl29RM/m/v4EvW06zAAAJ