What free login free ad free local traffic apps & web shortcuts are in your homescreen navigation folder where we can all benefit from your knowledge?

瀏覽次數:5 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Arlen Holder

未讀,
2021年1月5日 上午10:58:582021/1/5
收件者:
What free, login free, ad free, local traffic apps & web shortcuts are in your
homescreen navigation folder where we can all benefit from your knowledge?
o <https://i.postimg.cc/vZmTvPZx/maps02.jpg>

In a recent thread on the Android newsgroup, The Real Bev added to our
combined tribal knowledge with useful (local to California) traffic apps
and web sites, in addition to the Google Map app and a homescreen shortcut
in your navigation folder to a web page pointed to Google Maps Traffic.
o <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/WmwPEnsF-TM/m/U8cBzzHpCAAJ>
And this response, by me, where I've added those suggestions to my device:
o <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/WmwPEnsF-TM/m/QgczHtMHCQAJ>

Given the world wide nature of this newsgroup, this thread is opened to
flesh out all the good ideas there are to garner free ad-free _local_
traffic reports, where I'm aware that each US state seems to have their
own app (which is the point, for people to post this so others benefit).

For starters, based on the advice from The Real Bev, I've added the
following apps and web shortcuts to my maps homescreen folder today:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/vZmTvPZx/maps02.jpg>

1. Google Maps (Put a web shortcut in your homescreen MAPS folder)
<https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4000000,-122.0000000,12z/data=!5m1!1e1>

Note: This shortcut has the advantage of privacy as no login is required
and no geolocation information is needed nor transmitted to Google.

2. SigAlert: <https://www.sigalert.com>
For example, for the SF Bay Area:
<https://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?lat=37.40000&lon=-122.00000&z=0>

o Sigalert Traffic Reports, by Sigalert.com
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sigalert.mobile>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sigalert-com-live-traffic-reports/id424889327>
Which I just downloaded to my homescreen MAPS folder thanks to you!

3. IE511: <https://ie511.org/traffic> (seems to be only for socal though)
o IE511, by Riverside County Transportation Commission
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RCTC.IE511>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ie511/id493159934>

There seems to be a Northern California equivalent, I think, over here:
<https://511.org/>
Which I saved as a shortcut to my homescreen MAPS folder thanks to you!

4. Caltrans Quick Map <http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/>
o Quickmap, by California Department of Transportation
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.caltrans.quickmap>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/caltrans-quickmap/id1193696577>
Which I just downloaded to my homescreen MAPS folder thanks to you!

5. What _local_ timely traffic & accident app do you use & recommend that is:
a. Free
b. Ad free
c. Account free (i.e., if you have to log in, it doesn't belong here)

In summary, this thread attempts to flesh out all the timely traffic apps
and web URLs that you use for your local traffic, where the requirements
are simply that the timely traffic data be free, ad free, & login free.
--
BTW, I "think" Google gets most of its traffic from spying on stupid people
who have location spying turned on, and some of it from its Waze outlets,

Arlen Holder

未讀,
2021年1月10日 下午6:27:502021/1/10
收件者:
Update:

I looked up where Google gets its traffic information from...

o How Google Maps Gets Its Remarkably Accurate Real-Time Traffic Data
<https://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/features/how-google-maps-gets-its-remarkably-accurate-real-time-traffic-data-1665385>
"Google collects its mapping data from a wide variety of sources
including road sensors, user contributions via Map Maker,
and local transport departments, among several others."

"But the accuracy of location data is unmatched only because of its
users, since the billion Google Maps users on the road act as sensors
for the app, which make the service as precise as possible."

"Another source of traffic data are users of Waze app, which Google
acquired in 2013 for $1 billion; Waze users feed information like
accidents and traffic jams on their routes into the app, which Google
can use to make your navigation experience more accurate."

Waze says:
o <https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Traffic_data>
"Nodes are the primary way Waze routing server looks at routes.
All data about transition between two segments is stored with the
ID of the node involved, as well as the two segments connected to it."

1. "As you drive, the Waze app (client) on your mobile device collects
data about your GPS location and when you were there.
It sends that data to the Waze server."

2. "The Waze server uses this data to figure out which nodes you travelled
through, which segments you used to travel between them, your average
speed, and how long it took you to make it through the segment."

3. "This data is collected even on drivable segment types for which the
Waze routing server does not use that data. Traffic data collected
on short segments (less than 19.69 ft (6 m)) is l
It keeps track of this information in the forward (A to B) and reverse
(B to A) direction, and for every possible exit from the segment at the
node it is joined to. So if segment 100 is junctioned to segments 201,
202, and 203 at its B junction node, It can figure 3 different cross
times in the A->B direction - for 100->201, 100->202, and 100->203.

If the segment has a restricted lane (Bus, Express, HOV, etc) , the same
type of information is stored for one "extra" lane. So if segment 100
also has a left HOV lane, then Waze will be able to figure out 3 more
cross times in the same direction - for 100HOV -> 201, 100HOV->202,
100HOV->203."

This 2019 article in Science ABC gives a short history of how Google's
methods of collecting traffic data over the years has changed over time:
o How Does Google Maps Know About Traffic Conditions?
<https://www.scienceabc.com/innovation/how-does-google-maps-know-about-traffic-conditions.html>
"In 2009, Google shifted to crowdsourcing"
--
Posted, as always, to bring reliable respected cites of fact to this ng.

The Real Bev

未讀,
2021年1月10日 下午6:46:512021/1/10
收件者:
On 01/10/2021 03:27 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Update:
>
> I looked up where Google gets its traffic information from...

Very interesting, thanks. I wondered about Waze users using their
phones to text the info to the Mothership and thought that was a bad
idea. Good to know that it's done automatically, behind our backs,
while we feel secure...

Lile google...

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't mind you peeing in the shower as long as you're actually

Arlen Holder

未讀,
2021年1月11日 凌晨2:10:482021/1/11
收件者:
Update:

This article purports to list traffic apps for Android:
o 9 Best Traffic Apps for Android
<https://www.jihosoft.com/android-tips/best-traffic-apps-for-android.html>

It lists the following free "traffic" apps in the following order:
1. Voyager (no longer on Google Play apparently)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sensis.voyager>
2. Waze (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze>
3. USA Traffic Cameras
<https://apkpure.com/usa-traffic-cameras/com.babaosoftware.tcusa>
4. AA Breakdown & Traffic
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theaa.android.theaa>
5. Driving Route Finder (Contains Ads·Offers in-app purchases)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virtualmaze.drivingroutefinder >
6. Inrix (free, ad free, GSF dependent)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=inrix.android.ui>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/inrix-traffic/id324384027>
7. Michelin Navigation (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viamichelin.android.viamichelinmobile>
8. NZ Traffic (live traffic for New Zealand)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joshburton.nztraffic>
9. UDOT (live traffic in Utah)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.transcore.android.commuterLink>

With all that in mind, Inrix had no ads, so it seemed to be my first choice.
o INRIX Traffic Maps & GPS, by INRIX, Inc. (free, ad free, GSF dependent)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=inrix.android.ui>
Downloading it, one oddity is that four different APKs were saved:
o inrix.android.ui.101.apk
o inrix.android.ui.101.config.arm64_v8a.apk
o inrix.android.ui.101.config.en.apk
o inrix.android.ui.101.config.en.apk
When you start the app, it tells you it collects the following info:
o Name, email address/username & password
o GPS location & search terms
o Device model, cell provider, & signal strength
So I deleted the app; but it might be a decent app for others to try.

I'll see what others in that list might be fruitful.
--
That was a bust for me, but others may like Inrix if they don't mind logging in.

Arlen Holder

未讀,
2021年1月11日 上午10:20:452021/1/11
收件者:
Update:

Going back to the traffic camera app to see what it does:
o USA Traffic Cameras
<https://apkpure.com/usa-traffic-cameras/com.babaosoftware.tcusa>
That's odd that it doesn't list an F-Droid or Google Play.
Looking on Google Play, there are _other_ apps with similar names, e.g.,
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=traffic%20camera&c=apps>
For example:
o Cameras US - Traffic cams USA (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vision.cameras.us>

And where it seems there's a traffic camera app for lots of states:
o Minnesota Traffic Cameras, by Crystal Consulting LLC
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crystalconsulting.minnesota>
o MDOT Traffic (Mississippi), by NIC Inc.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nicusa.ms.mdot.traffic>
o New Jersey Traffic Cameras, by Crystal Consulting LLC
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crystalconsulting.nj>

There are a zillion of these, so if you're in a specific state, search.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=traffic%20camera%20california&c=apps>
Where near the end of that list are traffic apps by country also.

Surprisingly, that search came up with a ton of California traffic camera apps.
o Too many to test but here's a short list

o California Road Report, by Adam Levy (Offers in-app purchases)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adamsappls.carc>
o California Roads - Traffic and Cameras (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.coderun.caroads>
o California Traffic Cameras (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.davidgrossapps.catrafficcameras>
o California Cameras - Traffic (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vision.cameras.california>
o California Traffic Cameras, by Danny Ko (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.californiatrafficcam.app>
o CalRoadReport Travel & Traffic, by jcFreewood (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freewood.calroadreport>
o California Traffic Cameras, by Crystal Consulting LLC (Contains Ads)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crystalconsulting.california>
etc.

Note: Not only are there state traffic maps for many states, but even
cities have their own traffic maps, e.g.,
o Sacramento 511, by Castle Rock ITS (free, ad free, GSF dependent)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=crc.carsapp.sacog>

That is quite a nice app, actually, as it only asks for GPS permission,
which you can grant "only while using" and yet, the app comes up fine
without GPS turned on. You can turn on the layers, and you get:
1. Traffic (typical red/yellow/green stuff)
2. Waze Reports (wow - without needing a Waze login)
3. Traffic camera access (they seem to be static shots)
4. Road reports (e.g., road closures, construction, etc.)

What I love about that Sacamento 511 app is that you get Waze
without logging into Waze. That's pretty neat, don't you think.

So that's a new feature we might add to the criteria, which is
o Waze information without needed to have a Waze login
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart, to help others & myself.
0 則新訊息