1998 Perky Award - Favorite Poet - Will Dockery

Will Dockery

Sep 15, 2015, 1:52:35 PM9/15/15
Bill Evans wrote:

<snip>

> Is that a rhetorical question?

If the award is in poetry, my work has already won the highest award in this
area, the 1998 Perky Award - Favorite Poet - Will Dockery:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153254976704363&l=6432d80e3a

Seems about 100 years ago, but I won the 1998 Perky Award for "Favorite
Local Poet" in Columbus, Georgia. These were citywide awards for the best-of
everything, music, art, eateries, venues, actors, and of course, poets.

1998 Perky Award - Favorite Poet - Will Dockery:
http://picyou.com/deET1k

It was a great era for poetry in this area, and for all the arts,
actually... here's an interesting archived piece I found on an adventure I
had with my friend, the abstract painter Dan Barfield:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.graphics.illustrator/Dmbz-uanA-g/KxHspRI7WnIJ

Danny Barfield's art almost got me arrested a few years ago, a nosy peeping
tom thought I had "dead bodies" stashed in the backroom,

----
Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (GA)
July 13, 1997
Section: LOCAL
Edition: FIRST
Page: B1

HOW GROSS THY ART
Tim Chitwood

Apparently it was all just a big misunderstanding.

The misunderstanding led to a 911 call about a decomposing body in an old
house M***** S*****'s husband R****** owns at 2113 **th St. in Columbus.
That led to the discovery that it wasn't a body after all, but artwork made
of barbed wire and blowtorched Barbie dolls. But it sure looked like a body
to police. And it looked like a body to paramedics. And it definitely looked
like a body to Danny W****.

Danny is a real estate agent who with M***** went to look at the house July
2. He wanted to buy it and fix it up. It needs fixing up. The roof leaks in
places and some of the floor's rotting. The S**** now live on F**** Drive
and use the **th Street house for storage. M*****'s son Will Dockery lets
friends -- artists, poets and madmen, Will says -- store their work there.

Among those artists is Dan Barfield, who has a concept piece called
"Vietnam,'' part of which the veteran made of melted Barbie dolls. ("He
hates Barbies,'' says his wife Judy.) It now lies on the floor among other
stuff stored in the dark, northwest bedroom of the ##th Street house. To
someone who didn't know what it was, it might look like a rib cage and
sternum atop decayed matter.

That's what it looked like to Danny W**** when he walked into that musty
room, first staring up at the rafters. Then he looked down. Then he froze.
Then he ran.

He wasn't sure what he saw. Maybe a body. Maybe it was sealed with wax,
which trapped the odor. Maybe this was a bizarre ritual. Maybe he didn't
want to know.

M***** followed Danny as he dashed outside, where he tried to make a call on
his cell phone. She told him not to. According to her, she told him he'd
just seen some artwork. According to Danny, she never said that; she just
said they didn't need the police coming there.

This did not sound reassuring. Danny had to make that call. Now don't call
the police, M***** said again. She says she also told Danny her son Will had
a bad temper, and he wouldn't like Danny calling the police.

She says Danny replied that the police wouldn't do anything to her; she
wasn't involved. That's true, she said (she wasn't involved in storing the
art), but the police needn't be bothered.

M***** claims Danny then offered her $13,000 for the house, then said it
needed so much work the most he could give her was $10,000.

Danny maintains all M***** did was tell him no one should call the police.

The next day, someone called the police.

About 10:30 a.m., police and paramedics rushed to the house, unboarded a
door to get in and examined what they, too, thought was a decaying body,
oddly odorless. Then they poked it and figured out it wasn't. It was such a
weird story, the Ledger-Enquirer ran it on the front page July 4.

That's how M****** learned police had broken into the house. She was
perturbed. She blamed Danny.

Danny won't say he called police, but admits he told someone what he thought
he saw. Stan Swiney of the 911 center says the call reportedly came from a
Billy Hanson. (No Billy Hanson listed in the Columbus telephone directory
was involved; I called.)

The 911 report said someone saw the alleged corpse through a window. That's
difficult: The room's dark; the window's dirty; the art's hard to see.

The artist, Dan Barfield, says it's funny Danny W**** would be frightened,
because the real estate agent stopped by a few months ago when Dan was
moving art into the house, and this piece was out on the lawn at the time.
The artist claims the agent told him a decayed body was found in the house
once.

Danny says that's outrageous: He has never met Dan Barfield. "I would
remember that,'' he says.

Danny says he just wanted to buy the house to help clean up the
neighborhood, where he owns other property. ``As far as I'm concerned now,
they couldn't give it to me,'' he says.

Perhaps it will remain the house of scary art, where once people thought
they saw a dead body.

But didn't.
----

Dan Barfield took off to live in Texas a year or so and I we don't hang out
so much as we did in the olden times... hope the old cuss is doing okay out
there.

> --
> Bill Evans / Box 1224 / Mariposa, CA 95338 / (209)742-4720
> pgpkey.mariposabill.com for public key. Key #: 8D8B521B
> PGPprint: 0A9C 3545 8FFF 7501 6265 1519 40FF 76F9 8D8B 521B

Check out "Twilight Girl" by Will Dockery & Henry Conley
https://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/17680972-twilight-girl-w-dockery--h-conley

And so... it goes.

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Sep 15, 2015, 3:17:22 PM9/15/15
"Will Dockery" <will_d...@outlook.com> wrote in

> Bill Evans wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Is that a rhetorical question?
>
> If the award is in poetry, my work has already won the highest award
> in this area, the 1998 Perky Award - Favorite Poet - Will Dockery:

It was the only award in the area and only lasted for that year.

Nigga, puh-leeze!

"The more you spam me, the less spam I get" -Edmond Wollmann, once again
focusing with laserlike precision and crystal clarity.

will.d...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2015, 10:59:03 AM9/16/15
History of the Perky Awards as archived on the internet.

1998 Perky Award - Favorite Poet - Will Dockery:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153254976704363&l=6432d80e3a

I found the write-up the local newspaper did on the Perky Awards of that
year, which gives more information, but internet archiving back in April 23
1998 left a bit to be desired.

http://tinyurl.com/Perky-Award

Published on 1998-04-23, Page B1, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (GA)

The first headline of the article on the page was about a local book store,
for some reason, I suppose the writer had a reason for this but I'm not sure
what it was...

Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (GA) - April 23, 1998

COLUMBUS BOOK STORE EXCHANGES ADDRESS
Mick Walsh Staff Writer
Pat Robertson, owner of the Columbus Book Exchange, is on the move
again.``We did well at our uptown location for over 10 years,'' said
Robertson, one of the city's largest dealers of vintage comic books and used
paperback books. ``We've done well at our current Wynnton location for the
past eight years or so. Now, I hope we do even better at our new store in
North Columbus.'' It's not that Robertson likes to play hide-and-seek with
his loyal customers. It's just that as a tenant

[...]

Other winners were:
Steve Valentini, best actor;
Kelli Franklin, best actress;
"The Wizard of Oz," best theatrical production;
Will Dockery, top poet;
... guitarist;
Jose Castellanos, Jr., bassist;
Tom Chadwick,keyboardist;
Kile Hussey, drummer;
Henry Conley, harmonica;
Keni Thomas, male vocalist;
Lady V. female vocalist;

And then "Purchase Complete Article, of 620 words", which I haven't done
yet. Since pretty much all the information is here already, I haven't
decided if that's worth it, just for a repeat of information.

Here's what local musician Jay Vaquer wrote about the Perky Awards back in
1998:

http://www.jayvaquer.com/naas0009.html

"...When David Carson told me about the PERKY AWARDS, I thought cool, its
important that we unify arts and government, even though they are inherently
opposed, but a noble endeavor. During the awards at Al Whos, I saw some real
musicians in the crowd and I was hoping they were going to play. We were
sitting in a area by the back bar where the soundman had forgotten to aim a
speaker at us and it was hard to hear. The first real music came from the
Ft. Benning band, Pyramid. The next real music came from David Ragsdale. It
was too bad David did not jam with Pyramid, that would have been a real
treat since all the other music performed was virtual. The virtual musicians
dominated the awards. It was obviously a clear cut case of ballot stuffing
syndrome. That is the way these things turn out. But it was fun, and it did
unite some pretty divergent groups and establish a common identity for the
good guy party animal. Start today and next year's awards will evolve. I
commend David and Vicky Carson for setting a precedent and a Columbus
tradition. Rock Lesson #341-Action turns dreams into reality."

In the Rome News-Tribune - Apr 30, 1997, here's an article that mentions the
band Cornbread winning the 1996 Perky Award for "Best Original Band" and
"This year, Cornbread was awarded two Perky Awards, one for Best Songwriter
and one for Favorite Band. following Ceres" was recorded by dede Vogt..."

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=vXYwAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BTcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3710%2C434517

That's about it for now... more information will be posted in this thread as
it becomes available on Perky Awards before and after, such as 1997, 1999
and so on.

And so it goes.

Will Dockery

Jan 9, 2018, 9:21:44 PM1/9/18