Has anyone here already run an iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?

Andy Burnelli

Jan 17, 2022, 12:10:54 AM1/17/22
This is a question that only an _expert_ can answer.

Has anyone here already run an iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
If so, can you help me to get up to speed on running it on my Windows 10?

If this question has _zero_ responses, that's OK.
It just means nobody knows more than I do - and that's fine.

In another thread I made the mistake of including the Apple newsgroup.
*How to copy files both ways anywhere you want to/from iPhone/iPad over USB
between Windows & iOS using Linux*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/qmkDxzo4bN0>

That just invited the three Apple kooks to brazenly fabricate functionality
that simply does not exist - which is what they always do - so they're not
being asked to respond if they see this (because they just make it all up).
a. Lewis
b. nospam
c. Jolly Roger

Here are screenshots showing Android and Linux can do it (just not Windows):
a. Two-way file transfer (aka read _and_ write)
b. Into the entire iOS visible file system
c. (Often of very large files) over USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/NFkXsJ0X/files01.jpg> Windows, 1-way only, DCIM only
<https://i.postimg.cc/L8b18Zmx/files02.jpg> iOS "Files" does nothing useful
<https://i.postimg.cc/d3SGkdgr/files03.jpg> Android is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/QMk7tvZW/files04.jpg> Ubuntu is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/qqg61Rh8/files05.jpg> Ubuntu, movies _to_ iOS on USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/Jhmy9KH7/files06.jpg> Ubuntu uses iFuse for its magic
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjK4nHwf/files07.jpg> Ubuntu is two-way, everything

The Apple kooks _hate_ that iTunes can't do even this, one of the simplest
of operations over USB (which is two-way file transfer of large files into
the visible space of the iOS file system). So they fabricate it can do it.

And yet, iTunes can't possibly do it (even those kooks know it to be true).
Now back to Windows _without_ those rather odd Apple kooks on the thread.

The question remains a valid question of the Windows newsgroup.
The question remains a _difficult_ one to answer given it's a tough problem.

The linux people _solved_ the problem (with iFuse, libimobiledevice).
I'm hoping someone on the Windows group has _also_ solved this problem.

Do you have libimobiledevice already working on Windows?
If so, how did you do it (I'd like to try it for myself)?

BTW, if I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking this difficult question.

Has anyone here already run an iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
If so, can you help me to get up to speed on running it on my Windows 10?

My goal is to get on Windows the _same_ functionality I already have with
a. Android
b. Linux

If you have nothing to contribute, please do not respond.
It's ok if I know more than anyone else about this, as it's to be expected.

But I'm hoping _someone_ out there knows more than I do.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother asking the question again of this newsgroup.

Nomen Nescio

Jan 17, 2022, 12:39:13 AM1/17/22
In article <ss2top$np$1...@gioia.aioe.org>
Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com> wrote:

> This is a question that only an _expert_ can answer.
>
> Has anyone here already run an iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
> If so, can you help me to get up to speed on running it on my Windows 10?
>
> If this question has _zero_ responses, that's OK.
> It just means nobody knows more than I do - and that's fine.

One other thing you seem not to know is the fact that you are an
asshole. Why you don't see that while everyone else does is rather
strange. Maybe because you're STUPID?

JJ

Jan 18, 2022, 12:55:20 AM1/18/22
You need to understand something first...

For Windows, FUSE requires its own device driver for FUSE's user mode file
system framework.

But since Windows Vista, for normal use, all device drivers must be
digitally signed with a digital certificate which is issued by Microsoft's
root certificate "authority".

Mind you, getting a digital certificate issued by trusted digital
certificate "authority" costs money. It's not free. Not all open source
softwares are backed up by a company, have funds reserved for it, or willing
to spend money for it.

Otherwise, with a self signed digital signature (i.e. self proclaimed
trusted digital signature), or without digital signature, the device driver
won't be trusted and won't be loaded by Windows, unless Windows' Digital
Signature Enforcement feature is disabled - which must be done manually at
each system startup.

https://images.drivereasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/img_58b52a003bb57.jpg

There's no (saveable) setting, or a tool to automate it, at least for
Windows 10.

That is why most of open source goodies which use device driver(s), do not
have binaries ready to use. When one is not backed up by a company and does
provide a ready to use binaries, it means that the author(s) spent their own
pocket money to make it happen, and we should be very thankful for that.

Of course, since it's an open source software, everyone can compile the
source code to get the binaries. But they have to spend their own money to
get a trusted digital signature.