Forgotten History

Hieronymous Corey

May 31, 2021, 6:18:21 AM5/31/21
The origins of Memorial Day, and the power of a poem.
https://theconversation.com/the-forgotten-history-of-memorial-day-97199

Karen Tellefsen

May 31, 2021, 7:43:13 AM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 6:18:21 AM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> The origins of Memorial Day, and the power of a poem.
> https://theconversation.com/the-forgotten-history-of-memorial-day-97199

Thanks for posting this. I learned something.

Hieronymous Corey

May 31, 2021, 7:58:17 AM5/31/21
You’re very welcome. Have a great Memorial Day.
I’m off to do a Fun Run for local vets this morning.

Rachel

May 31, 2021, 12:31:58 PM5/31/21
me too! thanks. i'm not a good reader AT_ALL, but this looked pretty good. what i mean is, i am always hesitant and wary to even click on "let us put cookies in your computer" my life is so bone dry, but anyway, i signed up. i usually don't read anything, i can't concentrate, my life is as boring as a bump on a log, but oh well.

W.Dockery

May 31, 2021, 1:18:17 PM5/31/21
Perhaps one difference Columbus, Georgia has from Royston Vasey?

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 1:41:46 PM5/31/21
Hello, Rachel, got your two letters, mail coming your way soon, need to re-up on stamps.

:)

Karen Tellefsen

May 31, 2021, 2:26:55 PM5/31/21
The real Columbus is not like Royston Vasey, a fictional town based rural towns in northern England. I suppose there might be fictional towns in Southern Gothic novels based on small Georgia and Alabama cities and towns.

Karen Tellefsen

May 31, 2021, 2:27:46 PM5/31/21
Hi Rachel, I hope you are well.

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 3:00:51 PM5/31/21
Have you read Carson McCullers?

If not, give her a try... another writer I have read that may have slipped by Pendragon.

:)

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 3:25:03 PM5/31/21
Seconded.

Michael Pendragon

May 31, 2021, 3:27:05 PM5/31/21
Guess again, Donkey.

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 3:29:16 PM5/31/21
You've read Carson McCullers?

Michael Pendragon

May 31, 2021, 3:35:37 PM5/31/21
I posted a list of the books I remembered reading a few year ago.

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 3:38:51 PM5/31/21
Was Carson McCullers on the list?

Which of her books have you read?

Ash Wurthing

May 31, 2021, 3:50:33 PM5/31/21
Quick reply, forgive any typos
TY H, I commend you on your run.
Again, leave it to ladies to show the rest of us the right way.
Will, quite being a dick, you disrespect the dead by starting fights here.
"To save your world you asked this man to die:
Would this man, could he see you now, ask why?"
Epitaph for the Unknown Soldier W H Auden
I'll ask why for him...

Hieronymous Corey

May 31, 2021, 3:54:28 PM5/31/21
🏃‍♂️

W.Dockery

May 31, 2021, 3:55:17 PM5/31/21
Ash Wurthing wrote:

> Quick reply, forgive any typos
> TY H, I commend you on your run.
> Again, leave it to ladies to show the rest of us the right way.
>
> Will, quite being a dick, you disrespect the dead by starting fights here

Fuck off, Ash, you're the one who just showed up trying to pick a fight with me.

:)

Karen Tellefsen

May 31, 2021, 4:37:48 PM5/31/21
McCullers is part of the modern canon; it's not surprising Michael read her books.

"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"?

Michael Pendragon

May 31, 2021, 4:40:35 PM5/31/21
Here is the original post.

Since there is some question as to who is, and who is not, literate here, I thought I'd provide an overview of *SOME* of the books that I have read:

The Academy Awards Index: The Complete Categorical and Chronological Record, Richard Shale
Adam Bede, George Eliot
Addiction to Perfection, Marion Woodman
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain
The Adventures of Pinocchio, Carlo Collodi
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain
The Aeneid, Virgil
Age of Reason, Thomas Paine
Aion: Researches into the Phenomenology of the Self, C.G. Jung
Alfred Hitchcock: Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense,
Alfred Hitchock, ed.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
The Alienist, Caleb Carr
All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
The American Dream, Edward Albee
The American Movies Reference Book: The Sound Era, Paul Michael, ed.
American Popular Song: The Great Innovators, 1900-1950, Alec Wilder
The American Songbook: The Singers, Songwriters & Songs, Ken Bloom
The Amityville Horror, Jay Anson
And Then There were None, Agatha Christie
Animal Farm, George Orwell
Around the World in 80 Days, Jules Verne
The Art of Alfred Hitchcock: Fifty Years of His Motion Pictures, Donald Spoto
As a Driven Leaf, Milton Steinberg
Autobiography: The Magic Lantern, Ingmar Bergman
Autobiography: Pat Boone's America, Pat Boone
Autobiography: The Name Above the Title, Frank Capra
Autobiography: My Life in Pictures, Charles Chaplin
Autobiography: American Prince, Tony Curtis
Autobiography: Doris Day: Her Own Story, Doris Day, A.E. Hotchner
Autobiography: Been There, Done That, Eddie Fisher
Autobiography: My Wicked, Wicked Ways, Errol Flynn
Autobiography: An Autobiographical Study, Sigmund Freud
Autobiography: That Lucky Old Son, Frankie Laine
Autobiography: The Movies, Mr. Griffith, & Me, Lillian Gish
Autobiography: Memories, Dreams, Reflections, Carl Jung
Autobiography: Dean (Martin) & Me, Jerry Lewis
Autobiography: 'Tis Herself, Maureen O'Hara
Autobiography: Going Rogue: An American Life - Sarah Palin
Autobiography: The Autobiography of Mark Twain, Mark Twain
Autobiography: Fun in a Chinese Laundry, Josef Von Sternberg
Autumn of the Patriarch, Gabriel García Márquez
The Avant-Garde Film, P. Adams Sitney, ed.
The Bad Guys, William K. Everson
Bardo Thodol (Tibetan Book of the Dead), anonymous
The Beautiful and Damned, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Beowulf, Anonymous
The Best Damn Trumpet Player: Memories of the Big Band Era and Beyond, Richard Grudens
The Best of Jeani Rector, Jeani Rector
A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog Named Trixie, Dean Koonz
Biography: Goodnight, Sweet Prince: The Life & Times of John Barrymore, Gene Fowler
Biography: Humphrey Bogart, (Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies), Alan G. Barbour
Biography: Jim Bowie: Boy With a Hunting Knife, Gertrude Hecker Winders, Jerry Robinson
Biography: (Marlon) Brando: A Life in Our Times, Richard Schickel
Biography: George Gordon, Lord Byron (three, unknown)
Biography: Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet, Jess Stearn
Biography: Nat King Cole, Daniel Mark Epstein
Biography: Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams – The Early Years, 1903-1940, Gary Giddins
Biography: George Custer:
George Custer: Boy of Action, Augusta Stevenson
Custer's Gold: The United States Cavalry Expedition of 1874, Donald Jackson
Biography: Roman Candle: The Life of Bobby Darin, David Evanier
Biography: James Dean: American Icon, David Dalton, Ron Cayen
Biography: W.C. Fields: His Follies & Fortunes, Robert Lewis Taylor
Biography: Errol Flynn
Errol Flynn: A Memoir, Earl Conrad
The Two Lives of Errol Flynn, Michael Freedland
(A third biography)
Biography: Henry Fonda (Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies), Michael Kerbel
Biography: Snootie Little Cutie: The Connie Haines Story, Richard Grudens
Biography: The Life, the Legend, the Legacy of Alan Ladd, Beverly Linet
Biography: Frankie Laine:
That Lucky Old Sun, Todd Everett
I Believe, Todd Everett
Rawhide, Todd Everett
Mr. Rhythm: A Tribute to Frankie Laine, Richard Grudens, Clint Eastwood
Reaching for a Star, Craig Cronbaugh
Biography: Fritz Lang, Lotte H. Eisner
Biography: Mario Lanza: Singing to the Gods, Derek Mannering, Ellisa Lanza Bregman
Biography: Dean Martin: Memories are Made of This: Through His Daughter’s Eyes, Deanna Martin, Jerry
Lewis, Wendy Holden
Biography: Edgar Allan Poe:
Israfel: The Life and Times of Edgar Allan Poe, Hervey Allen
Edgar A. Poe: Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance, Kenneth Silverman
The Portraits and Dguerreotypes of Edgar Allan Poe, Michael J. Deas
Poe: A Biography, William Bittner
The Unknown Poe: An Anthology of Fugitive Writings by Edgar Allan Poe, With Appreciations
By Charles Baudelaire, Stephane Mallarme, Paul Valery, J.K. Huysmans & Andre Breton
Poe, Poe, Poe, Poe, Poe, Poe, Poe, Daniel Hoffman
The Haunted Palace: A Life of Edgar Allan Poe, Frances Winwar
The Poe Log: A Documentary Life of Edgar Allan Poe, 1809-1849, Dwight Thomas, David K.
Jackson
(several others)
Biography: The Secret Life of Tyrone Power, Hector Arce
Biography: The Elvis Presley Scrapbook: Solid Gold Memories, James Robert Parish
Biography: Johnnie Ray:
Cry: The Johnnie Ray Story, Jonny Whiteside
Cry (Bear Family vers.), Jonny Whiteside
Yes Tonight Josephine, Jonny Whiteside
Biography: Percy Bysshe Shelley
Biography: All or Nothing at All: A Life of Frank Sinatra, Donald Clarke
Biography: James Stewart (Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies), Howard Thompson
Biography: Orson Welles: The Road to Xanadu, Simon Callow
Black Beauty, Anna Sewell
Bleak House, Charles Dickens
Bless the Beasts and the Children, Glendon Swarthout
The Blue Bird, Maurice Maeterlinck
The Blue Dahlia (screenplay), Raymond Chandler
The Blue Fairy (Several of Andrew Lang's Fairy Books - I don't recall which colors)
Bogey: The Films of Humphrey Bogart, Clifford McCarty
Le Bon Sens, Paul-Henri Thiry, Paul-Henri Thiry, Baron d'Holbach
The Book of Runes, Ralph H. Blum
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
Brave New World Revisited, Aldous Huxley
Bulfinch's Mythology (I & II), Thomas Bulfinch
Call of the Wild, Jack London
Candide, Voltaire
The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
Carmilla, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, Jean Lee Latham
The Castle, Franz Kafka
Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
Character People, I & II, Ken D. Jones, Arthur F. McClure, Alfred E. Twomey
Chariots of the Gods, Erich von Däniken
Charlotte’s Web, E.B. White
The Cherry Orchard, Anton Chekhov
A Child's Garden of Verses, Robert Louis Stevenson
Christabel, Samuel Taylor Coleridge
The Cinema of Orson Welles, Peter Cowie
The Citizen Kane Book, Pauline Kael
Civilization and Its Discontents, Sigmund Freud
Classics of the Foreign Film: A Pictorial Treasury, Parker Tyler
Classics of the Silent Screen, Joe Franklin
Close-Ups: The Movie Star Book, Danny Peary
Cobwebs & Whispers, Scott Thomas
Collection: Age of Enlightenment poetry
Collection: Elizabethan Poetry
Collection: The Giant Book of Poetry, William Roetzheim
Collection: Medieval Lyrics
Collection: Modern Poetry
Collection: Modern Traditional Poetry
Collection: Norton Poetry Anthology (3 editions)
Collection: Romantic Poetry
Collection: Victorian poetry
Collected essays: Ralph Waldo Emerson
Collected essays: Benjamin Franklin
Collected essays: David Hume
Collected essays: Baruch Spinoza
Collected nursery rhymes: Mother Goose
Collected plays: Aeschylus
Collected plays: Aristophes
Collected plays: Euripides
Collected plays: Henrik Ibsen
Collected plays: Plautus
Collected Plays: William Shakespeare (I haven't read all of the histories)
Collected plays: Sophocles
Collected plays: Terence
Collected poetry: Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Collected poetry: Ralph Waldo Emerson
Collected poetry: Eugene Field
Collected poetry: Robert Frost
Collected poetry: Hesiod & Assorted Homerica
Collected poetry: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Collected poetry: Andrew Marvell
Collected poetry: Sir Walter Scott
Complete poetry: Shel Silverstein
Collected poetry: Walt Whitman
Collected poetry: William Wordsworth
Collected short stories: Algernon Blackwood
Collected short stories, Nathaniel Hawthorne
Collected short stories: Robert Heinlein
Collected short stories: O. Henry
Collected Short Stories: M.R. James
Collected short stories: Rudyard Kipling
Collected short stories, H.P. Lovecraft
Collected short stories: Herman Melville
Collected short stories: Washington Irving
Collected stories, essays, Jonathan Swift
Collected Socratic dialogues: Plato
Collected Works, C.G. Jung
Complete: Elizabeth Barret Browning
Complete: William Blake
Complete: Robert Browning
Complete: George Gordon, Lord Byron
Complete: Emily Dickinson
Complete (Poetry & Letters): John Donne
Complete: Hermann Hesse
Complete: John Keats
Complete (poetry), Rudyard Kipling
Complete (poetry, plays, short stories, criticism, letters): Edgar A. Poe
Complete: Friedrich Nietzsche
Complete (fiction, plays, essays): Ayn Rand
Complete: Percy Bysshe Shelley
Complete (sonnets): William Shakespeare
Complete: Alfred, Lord Tennyson
The Complete Guide to the Tarot, Eden Gray
The Complete Prophecies, Nostradamus
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain
Crime & Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky
Cult Movies I & II, Danny Peary
Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury
David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown
De rerum natura, Lucretius
The Dead, James Joyce
Dead Cat Bounce, Norman Green
Dead Souls, Nikolai Gogol
The Decameron, Giovanni Boccaccio
The Detective in Film, William K. Everson
The Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce
Dictionnaire philosophique, Voltaire
The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri
Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes
Doo-dah!: Stephen Foster and the Rise of American Popular Culture, Ken Emerson
Doors of Perception, Aldous Huxley
Dracula, Bram Stoker
Drawing Down the Moon, Margot Adler
Dr. Faustus, Christopher Marlowe
Early American Cinema, Anthony Slide
East of Eden, John Steinbeck
The Echo of Greece, Edith Hamilton
The Ego and the Id, Sigmund Freud
The Encyclopedia Of Witchcraft & Demonology, Rossell Hope Robbins
Ethan Frome, Edith Wharton
Everyman, Anonymous
The Evil Entwines, John B. Ford & various
Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything & Everybody, Charles Panati
Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, Charles Panati
Fables, Aesop
Fables, Jean de La Fontaine
Fatal Women, Kevin N. Roberts
Faust, Goethe
Fearful Symmetry: A Study of William Blake, Northrop Frye
The Federalist Papers, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay
50 Classic Motion Pictures: The Stuff That Dreams are Made Of, David Zinman
Film as Art, Rudolf Arnheim
The Film Encyclopedia, Ephraim Katz
The Film Director, Richard L. Bare
Film Form, Sergei M. Eisenstein
Film Noir & the Spaces of Modernity, Edward Dimendberg
Film Sense, Sergei M. Eisenstein
Film Theory & Criticism, Leo Braudy, Marshall Cohen
The Filmmaker's Handbook, Edward Pincus
The Films of Errol Flynn, Tony Thomas
Films of the Fifties, Tony Thomas
Films of the Forties, Tony Thomas
Flying Saucers: A Modern Myth of Things Seen in the Skies, C.G. Jung
Forbidden Mysteries of Enoch, Elizabeth Clare Prophet
4x4, Brian Keene, Geoff Cooper, Michael T. Huyck Jr., Michael Oliveri
Frankenstein: Or the Modern Prometheus, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
From Caligari to Hitler: A Psychological History of the German Film, Seigfried Kracauer
The Future of an Illusion, Sigmund Freud
The Gallic Wars, Julius Caesar
Gangsters from Little Caesar to the Godfather (Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies) – John Gabree
The Gates of the Alamo, Stephan Harrigan
The Genius & the Goddess, Aldous Huxley
Getting Even, Woody Allen
The Glass Menagerie, Tennessee Williams
The Golden Bough, Sir James George Frazer
The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies
of the Hermetic Order, Israel Regardie
Golden Turkey Awards, I & II, Harry and Michael Medved
Graveyard Shift, Stephen King
Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Great Pretenders: My Strange Love Affair With ‘50s Pop Music, Karen Shoemer
Great Television Heroes, Donald F. Glut, Jim Harmon
Hallelujah, Anyway, Patrick Woodroffe
Halliwell's Film Guide, Leslie L. Halliwell
Hallowe’en Party, Agatha Christie
Happy Days, Samuel Beckett
The Haunted Bookshop, Christopher Morley
The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German cinema and the influence of Max
Reinhardt, Eisner H. Eisner
The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson
Harvest Home, Tom Tyron
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers
Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
Heaven & Hell, Aldous Huxley
Hero & Leander, Christopher Marlowe
The Histories, Herodotus
The History of World Cinema, David Robinson
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
The Hobbit, J.R.R.Tolkien
Hollywood, Garson Kanin
Hollywood: The Pioneers, Kevin Brownlow
Hollywood Babylon (I & II), Kenneth Anger
The Holy Bible (King James Version), Multi-author
The Holy Bible (Revised Standard Edition), Multi-author
How Sweet It Was, Arthur Shulman, Roger Youman
How to Kill, Vol. 1, John Minnery
The Human Comedy, William Saroyan
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Victor Hugo
I Ching, anonymous
If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him, Sheldon Kopp
The Iliad, Homer
Immortals of the Screen, Ray Stuart, Czeslaw Z. Banasiewicz
The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
In the Days of the Comet, H.G. Wells
Independent Feature Film Production, Gregory Goodell
Inherit the Wind, Jerome Lawrence, Robert E. Lee
The International Dictionary of Films and Filmmakers, 3 vol.s, Christopher Lyon, ed.
The Interpretation of Dreams, Sigmund Freud
Interview With the Vampire, Anne Rice
Into Film, Laurence Goldstein, Jan Kaufman
John Brown's Body, Stepen Vincent Benét
Das Kapital: A Critique of Political Economy, Karl Marx
The Killer Angels: A Novel of the Civil War, Michael Shaara
The King in Yellow, Robert W. Chambers
King Solomon's Mines, H. Rider Haggard
The Kingdom of the Wicked, Anthony Burgess
Language in Thought and Action, S.I. Hayakawa
The Last Vampire, T.M. Wright
Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman
The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula Le Guin
The Life of Greece, Will Durant
Life, the Universe and Everything, Douglas Adams
Lila: An Inquiry into Morals, Robert M. Pirsig
The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis
Little Men, Louisa May Alcott
The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
Lives, Plutarch
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, J.R.R. Tolkien
Lord Jim, Joseph Conrad
Lord of the Flies, William Golding
The Lore of Still Building: Or Getting to Know Your Local Sheriff, N. and K. Gibat
Lost Horizon, James Hilton
Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez
Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert
Malleus Maleficarum, James Sprenger, Heinrich Kramer
The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
Man and His Symbols, C.G. Jung
Man and Superman, George Bernard Shaw
The Man in the High Castle, Philip K. Dick
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural, Marvin Kaye, ed.
Medieval Punishments: An Illustrated History of Torture, William Andrews
The Metamorphoses, Ovid
The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
The MGM Story, John Douglas Eames
The Miracle Worker, William Gibson
The Misanthrope, Molière
Mr. Arkadin, Orson Welles
Moby Dick, Herman Melville
Modern Man in Search of a Soul, C.G. Jung
Moll Flanders, Daniel DeFoe
The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins
Le Morte d'Arthur, Thomas Malory
Mountain of Dreams: The Golden Years of Paramount Pictures, Leslie Halliwell
Movie-Made America, Robert Sklar
Movie Stars in Bathtubs, Jack Scagnetti
The Movies, Richard Griffith
The Naked Ape, Desmond Morris
The Necronomicon, Simon
The Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle
Night, Eile Wiesel
Night Shift, Stephen King
The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail, Jerome Lawrence, Robert E. Lee
Nighttouch: Journeying into the Realms of Nightmare, Gerry Goldberg, Stephen Storoschuk, Fred
Corbett, eds.
1984, George Orwell
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, & Other Short Stories, Ambrose Bierce
The Occult, Colin Wilson
The Odyssey, Homer
The Old Curiosity Shop, Charles Dickens
The Old Man & the Sea, Ernest Hemingway
Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens
Omoo, Herman Melville
On Civil Disobedience, Henry David Thoreau
The Once & Future King, T.H. White
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest: A Play in Two Acts, Dale Wasserman, Ken Kesey
One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez
Origin of Species, Charles Darwin
Out of This Silent Planet, C.S. Lewis
An Outline of Esoteric Science, Rudolf Steiner
The Outline of History, H.G. Wells
An Outline of Psycho-Analysis, Sigmund Freud
The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter, Marion Woodman
The Parade's Gone By, Kevin Brownlow
Paradise Lost, John Milton
Paradise Regained, John Milton
Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie
Phèdre, Jean Racine
The Philippics, Cicero
A Pictorial History of Crime: 1840 to the Present, Julian Symons
A Pictorial History of the Talkies, Daniel Blum
The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan
The Poe Shadow, Matthew Pearl
The Power of Myth, Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism, Gareth Knight
The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
The Prince & the Pauper, Mark Twain
The Purple Cloud, M.P. Shiel
Queen of the Damned, Anne Rice
Quest for the Beloved, Kevin N. Roberts
Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane
The Republic, Plato
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Douglas Adams
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge
The River Midnight, Lilian Nattel
Roll Away the Stone, Israel Regardie, Aleister Crowley
Roughing It, Mark Twain
Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Edward Fitzgerald
The Salvaging of Civilization, H.G. Wells
Satan Wants You: The Cult of Devil Worship in America, Arthur Lyons
The Satanic Bible, Anton S. LaVey
The Satanic Witch, Anton S. LaVey
Saturday Afternoon at the Bijou - A Nostalgic Look at Charlie Chan, Andy Hardy, and Other Movie Heroes
We Have Known and Loved, David Zinman
The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. I, 1929-1964, Robert Silverberg, ed.
The Sea Wolf, Jack London
A Season in Hell, Arthur Rimbaud
Shane, Jack Schaefer
She: A History of Adventure, H. Rider Haggard
A Short History of the Movies, Gerald Mast
The Show Business Nobody Knows, Earl Wilson
Sinatra! The Song Is You, Will Friedwald
Sir Gawain & The Green Knight, Anonymous
Silas Marner, George Eliot
Sleepeasy, T.M. Wright
The Song of Eve: Mythology and Symbols of the Goddess, Manuela Dunn Mascetti
Songs of the Sea Children, Bliss Carman
The Story of Mankind, Hendrik Willem van Loon
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
The Stranger, Albert Camus
Stranger in a Strange Land (orig. & expanded vers.), Robert Heinlein
Suddenly, Last Summer, Tennessee Williams
Synchronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle, C.G. Jung
The Taking, Dean Koontz
A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
Tales of Devilry & Doom, John B. Ford
The Tao of Pooh, Benjamin Hoff
Tartuffe, Molière
The Teachings of Don Juan, Carlos Castaneda
Tender Is the Night, F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Terminal Man, Michael Crichton
That Hideous Strength, C.S. Lewis
The Thing in the Weeds and Other Tales of the Tideless: The Sargasso Sea Stories, William Hope
Hodgson
This Fabulous Century (8 vol.s), various eds.
This Is My God, Herman Wouk
Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, Lewis Carroll
Tiger at the Gates, Jean Giraudoux, Christopher Fry
The Time Machine, H.G. Wells
Time Must Have a Stop, Aldous Huxley
The Time Out Film Guide, Tom Milne, ed.
The Time-Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore, John Ford
Tom Sawyer, Detective, Mark Twain
Too Young to Die, Patricia Fox-Sheinwold
Totem and Taboo, Sigmund Freud
Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
The Trial, Franz Kafka
The Turn of the Screw, Henry James
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne
Twilight, Dean Koontz
Two Years Before the Mast, Richard Henry Dana
Typee, Herman Melville
Understanding Movies, 2nd & 3rd editions, Louis D. Giannetti
The Unholy Bible: Blake, Jung, and the Collective Unconscious, June Singer
The Universe & Dr. Einstein, Barnett
The Upanishads, Anonymous
The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales, Bruno Bettelheim
The Vampire Lestat, Anne Rice
Vanity Fair, William Makepeace Thackeray
Very Special People, Frederick Drimmer
Volpone, Ben Jonson
Waldon Pond, Henry David Thoreau
The War Film (Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies), Norman Kagan
The Waste Land & collected poems, T.S. Eliot
Waves at Genji's Door, Joan Mellen
The Western Film (Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies), Charles Silver
Whatever Became Of …?, Vol.s I – III, Richard Lamparski
The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth
Wicca Craft: The Modern Witches Book of Herbs, Magick and Dreams, Gerina Dunwich
William Blake: His Philosophy and Symbols, S. Foster Damon
Winterset, Maxwell Anderson
The Witch of Cologne, Tobsha Learner
The Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum
The Woman in White, Wilkie Collins
The World as Will & Idea, Arthur Schopenhauer
World Book Encyclopedia (ca. 1953)
Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë
Zardoz, John Boorman
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values, Robert M. Pirsig

&
Various film books
College Textook World History (3 different editions)
An additional book on Blake’s writing
Numerous short story compendiums
Western Film
Film Noir
New Jersey Ghosts

Children’s Books:

A to Z, Sandra Boynton
Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators (various titles), Robert Arthur, Harry Kane, William Arden,
et al.
Alfred Hitchcock’s Ghostly Gallery: Eleven Spooky Stories for Young People, Alfred Hitchcock, ed.
Alfred Hitchcock’s Solve-Them-Yourself Mysteries, Alfred Hitchcock, ed., Robert Arthur
The American Heritage Book of the Presidents and Famous Americans, 12 Vol.s, multi-authored set
And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street, Dr. Seuss
Are You My Mother?, P.D. Eastman
Arm in Arm: A Collection of Connections, Endless Tales, Reiterations, and Other Echolalia, Remy Charlip
Arty the Smarty, Faith McNulty, Albert Aquino, illus.
Babar and His Family, Jean De Brunhoff
Babar the King, Jean De Brunhoff
A Baby Sister for Frances, Russell and Lillian Hoban
Barney Beagle, Jean Bethell, Ruth Wood, illus.
Barney Beagle and the Cat, Jean Bethell, Ruth Wood, illus.
Barney Beagle Plays Baseball, Jean Bethell, Ruth Wood, illus.
The Bee-Man of Orn, Frank R. Stockton, Maurice Sendak, illus.
Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos, Robert Lawson
Best Balloon Ride Ever, Richard Scarry
Best Read-It-Yourself Book Ever, Richard Scarry
The Big Honey Hunt, Stan and Jan Berenstain
Bread and Jam for Frances, Russell and Lillian Hoban
But Not the Hippopotamus, Sandra Boynton
Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business, Esphyr Slobodkina
The Cat in the Hat, Dr. Seuss
The Cat in the Hat Beginner Book Dictionary, The Cat himself, P.D. Eastman
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, Dr. Seuss
Chicken Little, Vivienne Benstead, Richard Scarry, illus.
The Color Kittens, Margaret Wise Brown, Alice and Martin Provensen, illus.
The Color Kittens, Margaret Wise Brown, Kathi Ember, illus.
Corduroy, Don Freeman
Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat: Superstitions and Other Beliefs, Alvin Schwartz, Glen Rounds, illus.
Curious George, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Curious George and the Dump Truck, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Curious George Flies a Kite, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Curious George Gets a Medal, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Curious George Goes to the Beach, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Curious George Goes to the Hospital, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Curious George Goes to the Zoo, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Curious George Takes a Job, H.A. Rey, Margret Rey
Diary of a Worm, Doreen Cronin, Harry Bliss, illus.
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?, Dr. Seuss
Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man, Helen Gaspard, Corinne Malvern, illus.
Dr. Seuss’ ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!, Dr. Seuss
Don and Donna Go to Bat, Al Perkins, B. Tobey
The Fat Cat: A Danish Folktale, Jack Kent
The First Transcontinental Railroad: Central Pacific – Union Pacific, John Debo Galloway, C.E.
Flat Stanley, Jeff Brown, Scott Nash, illus.
The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss
Fortunately, Remy Charlip
Fox in Socks, Dr. Seuss
The Fuzzy Duckling, Jane Werner Watson, Martin Provensen, illus.
Gerald McBoing Boing, Dr. Seuss
The Gingerbread Man, Nancy Nolte, Richard Scarry, illus.
Go, Dog. Go!, P.D. Eastman
The Golden Books Treasury of Elves and Fairies, Jane Werner, compiler, Garth Williams, illus.
The Good Humor Man, Kathleen N. Daly, Tibor Gergely, illus.
Goodnight Moon, Margaret Wise Brown, Clement Hurd, illus.
Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss
Hansel and Gretel, The Brothers Grimm, Eloise Wilkin, illus.
Happy Birthday to You!, Dr. Seuss
The Happy Man and His Dump Truck, Miryam, Tibor Gergely, illus.
The Hardy Boys (various titles), Franklin W. Dixon
Harold and the Purple Crayon, Crockett Johnson
Harry By the Sea, Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham
Harry the Dirty Dog, Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham
Henry and Ribsy, Beverly Cleary
Henry Huggins, Beverly Cleary
Hop on Pop, Dr. Seuss
Horton Hatches the Egg, Dr. Seuss
Horton Hears a Who, Dr. Seuss
The House on East 88th Street, Bernard Waber
How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Dr. Seuss
If I Ran the Zoo, Dr. Seuss
In the Night Kitchen, Maurice Sendak
The Incredible Journey, Sheila Burnford
The Kitten Who Thought He was a Mouse, Miriam Norton, Garth Williams, illus.
The Little Engine That Could, Watty Piper, George Hauman, illus.
The Little Red Caboose, Marian Potter, Tibor Gergely, illus.
The Little Red Hen, Diane Muldrow, J.P. Miller
Little Red Riding Hood, Elizabeth Jones
The Lorax, Dr. Seuss
The Lucky Puppy, Jane Werner Watson, Walt Disney Studios
Lyle and the Birthday Party, Bernard Waber
Lyle Finds His Mother, Bernard Waber
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile, Bernard Waber
Make Way for Ducklings, Robert McCloskey
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Virginia Lee Burton
Mr. Brown can Moo! Can You?, Dr. Seuss
Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself, Margaret Wise Brown, Garth Williams, illus.
Mr. Pine’s Mixed-Up Signs, Leonard Kessler
Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Richard & Florence Atwater
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present, Charlotte Zolotow, Maurice Sendak, illus.
The Mitten, Alvin R. Tresselt, Yaroslava, illus.
More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: Collected from Folklore and Retold by Alvin Schwartz, Stephen
Gammell, illus.
Mouse’s House, Kathryn and Byron Jackson, Richard Scarry, illus.
My First Counting Book, Lilian Moore, Garth Williams, illus.
No Roses for Harry, Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham
Nurse Nancy, Kathryn Jackson, Corinne Malvern, illus.
Oh, the Places You’ll Go!, Dr. Seuss
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, Dr. Seuss
101 Dalmatians, Dodie Smith, Disney Studios
The Original Adventures of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy, Johnny Gruelle
The Owl and the Pussycat, Edward Lear, Jan Brett
Pat the Bunny, Dorothy Kunhardt
A Pocket for Corduroy, Don Freeman
The Poky Little Puppy, Janette Sebring Loerey, Gustaf Tenggren, illus.
Put Me in the Zoo, Robert Lopshire
Ramona the Brave, Beverly Cleary
Ramona the Pest, Beverly Cleary
Remember the Alamo!, Robert Penn Warren, William Moyers, illus.
The Saggy Baggy Elephant, K. Jackson, B. Jackson
The Sailor Dog, Margaret Wise Brown, Garth Williams, illus.
Sam & the Firefly, P.D. Eastman
Scuffy the Tugboat, Gertrude Crampton, Tibor Gergely, illus.
Scuttle the Stowaway Mouse, Jean Condor Soule and Nancy Soule, illus.
The Shy Little Kitten, Cathleen Shurr, Gustaf Tenggren, illus.
Sleeping Beauty and the Good Fairies, Disney Studios
The Sneetches and Other Stories, Dr. Seuss
Snoozers, Sandra Boynton
Snow, P.D. Eastman
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, adapt. from The Brothers Grimm, Disney Studios
Spot Goes Splash and Other Stories, Eric Hill
Spot Helps Out, Eric Hill
The Steadfast Tin Soldier, Hans Christian Andersen, M.R. James, trans., Marcia Brown, illus.
Stone Soup, Marcia Brown
The Story of Babar: The Little Elephant, Jean De Brunhoff
Strangely Enough, C.B. Colby
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, William Steig
The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Beatrix Potter
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, Beatrix Potter
The Tale of Tom Kitten, Beatrix Potter
Tawny Scrawny Lion, Kathryn Jackson, Gustaf Tenggren, illus.
The Three Bears, Carol North, Lisa McCue, illus.
The Three Bears, F. Rojankovsky, illus.
The Three Little Kittens, Mother Goose, Milo Winter, illus.
The Three Little Pigs, Alan Benjamin, Lilian Obligado, illus.
Tootle, Gertrude Crampton, Tibor Gergely, illus.
The Ugly Duckling, Hans Christian Andersen, Lisa McCue, illus.
The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams, Florence Graham, illus.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle
Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak
The Whispering Rabbit, Margaret Wise Brown, Cindy Szerkeres
The Wonderful House, Margaret Wise Brown
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories, Dr. Seuss
You Will Live Under the Sea, F. & M. Phleger, Ward Brackett, illus.

Comic Book Collections

Beetle Bailey, Mort Walker
Classically Mad (5 vol. box set)
The Complete Peanuts (various years), Charles M. Schulz
Family Circus (various collections), Bil Keane
The Far Side Gallery, Gary Larson
It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, Charles M. Schulz
Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown, Charles M. Schulz

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 4:42:38 PM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:37:48 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 3:29:16 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Guess again xxxxxx
> > You've read Carson McCullers?
> McCullers is part of the modern canon; it's not surprising Michael read her books.

Pendragon surprises me with what he hasn't read, yet passes judgement on anyhow.

> "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"?

Her books give an accurate view of Columbus, Georgia in the years before my birth.

Karen Tellefsen

May 31, 2021, 4:58:05 PM5/31/21
I picked up "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe" while 'treasure hunting," i.e. going to estate, moving and garage sales, at the ex-home of a professor at a local college. "Wunderkind" really struck home for me, though the title story was the most interesting.

W.Dockery

May 31, 2021, 6:12:18 PM5/31/21
Karen Tellefsen wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:42:38 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"?
>
>> Her books give an accurate view of Columbus, Georgia in the years before my birth.
>
> I picked up "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe" while 'treasure hunting," i.e. going to estate, moving and garage sales, at the ex-home of a professor at a local college. "Wunderkind" really struck home for me, though the title story was the most interesting.

Carson McCullers is sort of like Corey, she held a mirror to Columbus, Georgia that showed them the faults the people there should have been aware of.

:)

Michael Pendragon

May 31, 2021, 8:36:43 PM5/31/21
Such as?

W.Dockery

May 31, 2021, 9:09:17 PM5/31/21
Michael Pendragon wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
>
>> Pendragon surprises me with what he hasn't read, yet passes judgement on anyhow.

> Such as?

Offhand, I can recall Harlan Ellison, which you've read about one short story by (I've read almost everything he's written), if that, Jack Kerouac, which I think you said you've read one chapter of, again, if even that (and again, who I;ve read almost everything J.K. ever wrote), Bob Dylan, who you apparently know nothing about except maybe "Blowing In The Wind" (and who, again, a writer I know almst everything he's created), Allen Ginsberg (I think you said you read Howl, which is one poem out of dozens I've read) a dozen or more other Beat poets such as Gregory Corso, Gary Snyder, Frank O'Hara, although I think I remember you said you read some Lawrence Ferlinghetti...

Charles Bukowski, have you even read his poetry?

Leonard Cohen, I think you read "Suzanne", but none of the other dozens of poems he wrote, apparently.

To name a few, a few that I've read most if not all of their work... I suppose this is beccoming a list.

:)

Karen Tellefsen

May 31, 2021, 9:21:25 PM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:09:17 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Michael Pendragon wrote:
> > Will Dockery wrote:
> >
> >> Pendragon surprises me with what he hasn't read, yet passes judgement on anyhow.
>
> > Such as?
> Offhand, I can recall Harlan Ellison, which you've read about one short story by (I've read almost everything he's written),

I really like Ellison's writing; unfortunately the man was a schmuck. I remember that some of my friends wore "I hate Harlan" buttons.

if that, Jack Kerouac, which I think you said you've read one chapter of, again, if even that (and again, who I;ve read almost everything J.K. ever wrote),

I liked "On the Road."

Bob Dylan, who you apparently know nothing about except maybe "Blowing In The Wind" (and who, again, a writer I know almst everything he's created), Allen Ginsberg (I think you said you read Howl, which is one poem out of dozens I've read) a dozen or more other Beat poets such as Gregory Corso, Gary Snyder, Frank O'Hara, although I think I remember you said you read some Lawrence Ferlinghetti...

Frank O'Hara was not a beat poet. Ferlinghetti didn't consider himself a beat poet, though he championed them.

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 9:48:59 PM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:21:25 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:09:17 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > Such as?
> > Offhand, I can recall Harlan Ellison, which you've read about one short story by (I've read almost everything he's written),
>
> I really like Ellison's writing; unfortunately the man was a schmuck. I remember that some of my friends wore "I hate Harlan" buttons.

I like his honest rage... and his writing is some magnificent stuff.

> if that, Jack Kerouac, which I think you said you've read one chapter of, again, if even that (and again, who I've read almost everything J.K. ever wrote),
> I liked "On the Road."

His "Mexico City Blues" poetry book was a serious influence on me, probably now more than ever, with a heavy dose of Carl Sandburg in these certain times.

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/eng/mexico_city_blues

> Bob Dylan, who you apparently know nothing about except maybe "Blowing In The Wind" (and who, again, a writer I know almost everything he's created), Allen Ginsberg (I think you said you read Howl, which is one poem out of dozens I've read) a dozen or more other Beat poets such as Gregory Corso, Gary Snyder, Frank O'Hara, although I think I remember you said you read some Lawrence Ferlinghetti...
> >
> Frank O'Hara was not a beat poet.

You're right, I was in a hurry. Frank O'Hara was of the "New York School" although City Lights Books published his Lunch Poems which kind of made him look like a "latter day" Beat.

> Ferlinghetti didn't consider himself a beat poet, though he championed them.

Again, right, though I would think he was a major part of the Beat Generation, the era.

> > Charles Bukowski, have you even read his poetry?
> >
> > Leonard Cohen, I think you read "Suzanne", but none of the other dozens of poems he wrote, apparently.
> >
> > To name a few, a few that I've read most if not all of their work... I suppose this is becoming a list.

... ...

Michael Pendragon

May 31, 2021, 10:42:29 PM5/31/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:48:59 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:21:25 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Offhand, I can recall Harlan Ellison, which you've read about one short story by (I've read almost everything he's written),

I've read one short story by him (one of his best known works), and didn't feel that he was worth pursuing further.

> > I really like Ellison's writing; unfortunately the man was a schmuck. I remember that some of my friends wore "I hate Harlan" buttons.
> I like his honest rage... and his writing is some magnificent stuff.
> > if that, Jack Kerouac, which I think you said you've read one chapter of, again, if even that (and again, who I've read almost everything J.K. ever wrote),
> > I liked "On the Road."
> His "Mexico City Blues" poetry book was a serious influence on me, probably now more than ever, with a heavy dose of Carl Sandburg in these certain times.
>
> http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/eng/mexico_city_blues

I can believe that "Mexico City Blues" was an influence on your poetry -- it's utter crap. It's better written than your poetry, but imitations are rarely up to their originals.

> > Bob Dylan, who you apparently know nothing about except maybe "Blowing In The Wind" (and who, again, a writer I know almost everything he's created), Allen Ginsberg (I think you said you read Howl, which is one poem out of dozens I've read) a dozen or more other Beat poets such as Gregory Corso, Gary Snyder, Frank O'Hara, although I think I remember you said you read some Lawrence Ferlinghetti...

I just looked at a poem by Ginsberg and one by Corso. They aren't what I consider poetry -- and they aren't very good IMHO. However, they are clearly better educated, more intelligent, and exceedingly more literate than you.

> > Frank O'Hara was not a beat poet.
> You're right, I was in a hurry. Frank O'Hara was of the "New York School" although City Lights Books published his Lunch Poems which kind of made him look like a "latter day" Beat.
> > Ferlinghetti didn't consider himself a beat poet, though he championed them.
> Again, right, though I would think he was a major part of the Beat Generation, the era.
> > > Charles Bukowski, have you even read his poetry?
> > >
> > > Leonard Cohen, I think you read "Suzanne", but none of the other dozens of poems he wrote, apparently.

I studied "Suzanne Takes You Down" in college. I have read other poems by him, and by all of the writers you've mentioned (except for Bob Dylan who isn't considered a poet), in various poetry anthologies.

> > > To name a few, a few that I've read most if not all of their work... I suppose this is becoming a list.

It's not much of a list, Will.

Will Dockery

May 31, 2021, 11:13:28 PM5/31/21
I don't agree, and I wrote it was /becoming/ a list:

> [...]
Carl Sandburg
> > > Bob Dylan
Allen Ginsberg
Lawrence Ferlinghetti...
Gregory Corso
> > > Frank O'Hara

***

W.Dockery

May 31, 2021, 11:47:16 PM5/31/21
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> I just looked at a poem by Ginsberg and one by Corso. They aren't what I consider poetry

That's an example of you banging your head against the wall, since both of these men are considered two of the greatest of 20th Century poets.

Look it up.

Michael Pendragon

Jun 1, 2021, 9:25:33 AM6/1/21
No, Will... they aren't.

I googled "10 greatest poets of the 20th Century" and got the following list as the first result:

1 Sylvia Plath.
2 Audre Lorde.
3 e.e. cummings.
4 Maya Angelou.
5 Robert Frost.
6 Marianne Moore.
7 T.S. Eliot.
8 Langston Hughes.
9 Elizabeth Bishop.
10 W.H. Auden.

That certainly wouldn't be my list, but none of your above-listed Beatniks are on it.

W-Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 9:52:16 AM6/1/21
Carl Sandburg isn't even in your top ten poets so the list is obviously bogus.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jun 1, 2021, 10:13:00 AM6/1/21
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 9:52:16 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Carl Sandburg isn't even in your top ten poets so the list is obviously bogus.

1) It isn't my list.

2) The list is "bogus" because Michael M. Pendragon is not on it.

Will Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 10:23:17 AM6/1/21
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 10:13:00 AM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 9:52:16 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Carl Sandburg isn't even in your top ten poets so the list is obviously bogus.
>
> 1) It isn't my list.

You went out and found the bogus list.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jun 1, 2021, 10:33:25 AM6/1/21
Try to pay attention, Will.

1) You claimed that Ginsberg and Corso were among the greatest poets of the 20th Century.
2) You told me to "look it up."
3) I looked it up.
4) The list I posted is from the first result my google search returned.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 1, 2021, 10:49:30 AM6/1/21
I couldn’t find any list of twentieth century poets on which they are
listed as among the greatest, but I didn’t look very hard either, so it
is entirely possible that some such list exists. I just haven’t found it.

Will Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 10:50:32 AM6/1/21
Leave it to you to post a bogus list.

:)

Will Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 10:57:07 AM6/1/21
I haven't looked, but a real poetry lover would agree.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 1, 2021, 11:04:51 AM6/1/21
A real poetry lover wouldn’t know wtf you’re talking about.

W-Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 11:19:18 AM6/1/21
A real poetry lover would know and love the poetry of Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso and Carl Sandburg, and put them on his list.

I know this because I'm a real poetry lover.

Karen Tellefsen

Jun 1, 2021, 11:32:43 AM6/1/21
Mine also.
https://poemanalysis.com/explore-poets/20th-century-american/

Here are 10 best poems according to one source.
https://listverse.com/2007/08/28/top-10-american-poems-of-the-20th-century/

Any of these lists are the result of someone's (or a group's) opinion. Your opinion may be very different, but that doesn't mean the list is bogus.

I would include Frost, cummings and Plath. I'd include Sandburg, Stevens, WC Williams and possibly Ginsberg. I'm not fond of Angelou; I think Morrison and Brooks are better. I'm sure Michael's list would be different. We all have different favorites.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 1, 2021, 11:37:17 AM6/1/21
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 11:19:18 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> A real poetry lover would know and love the poetry of Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso and Carl Sandburg, and put them on his list.
>
> I know this because I'm a real poetry lover.

Again, a real poetry lover wouldn’t know wtf
you’re talking about. Don’t ask me how I know.

Karen Tellefsen

Jun 1, 2021, 11:38:56 AM6/1/21
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 11:19:18 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> A real poetry lover would know and love the poetry of Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso and Carl Sandburg, and put them on his list.

This is your opinion.

> I know this because I'm a real poetry lover.

Yes you are, but so is Michael.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 1, 2021, 12:04:50 PM6/1/21
Frost was a formative influence. The others are fine, but it’s his fault I’m here.

W.Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 12:11:17 PM6/1/21
Karen Tellefsen wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 10:33:25 AM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:

>> > You went out and found the bogus list.
>>

>> 1) You claimed that Ginsberg and Corso were among the greatest poets of the 20th Century.
>> 2) You told me to "look it up."
>> 3) I looked it up.
>> 4) The list I posted is from the first result my google search returned.

> Mine also.
> https://poemanalysis.com/explore-poets/20th-century-american/

> Here are 10 best poems according to one source.
> https://listverse.com/2007/08/28/top-10-american-poems-of-the-20th-century/

Allen Ginsberg second on the list, Carl Sandburg included, so these folks are on the right track.

I admit that Gregory Corso may be too obscure to make a top ten list.

W.Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 7:20:16 PM6/1/21
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> I've read one short story by him (one of his best known works), and didn't feel that he was worth pursuing further.

I remember that, you wrote an interesting, though clueless, critique of that short story and poted it here.

One story out of hundreds by Harlan Ellison isn't a very deep investigation, though.

I've read almost everything Ellison wrote, excepting the material his widow is now releasing, most of it for the first time n my lifetime.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/e/harlan-ellison/rough-beasts.htm

Rough Beasts: "Every story has been revised by the author specifically for this collection.Stories include: "Invulnerable" (1957), "Like Father, Like Son" (1957), "Walk the Ceiling" (1957), "The Kissing Dead" (1956, written with Henry Slesar), "Across the Silent Days" (1958), "Star Route" (1955), "Backlash!" (1956), "Machine Silent, Machine Yearning" (1957), "Way of an Assassin" (1958), "Fool's Mate" (1958), "The Untouchable Adolescents" (1956), "The Little Boy Who Loves Cats" (1954), "Parasite" (1955), "Up the Down Escalator" (1955), "Glug" (1958), "Hit-Skip" (1957), and "Why Did Wallace Crack?" (1956)..."

And, coming this year, Possibly Impossible:

https://www.harlanellisonbooks.com/product/possibly-impossible-2021-edgeworks-abbey-archive-trade-paperback/

Conversation Piece (Caper, Mar. 1957) – Previously collected in COFFIN NAILS
Satan is My Ally (Fantastic, May1957) – Previously collected in COFFIN NAILS
The Steel Napoleon (Amazing Stories, June 1957) – Previously collected in COFFIN NAILS
The Big Trance (Dream World, Aug. 1957) – Previously collected in PEBBLES FROM THE MOUNTAIN
Phoenix Treatment (Fantastic, Aug. 1957) – Previously collected in COFFIN NAILS
Children of Chaos (Amazing, Nov. 1957) – Previously collected in PEBBLES FROM THE MOUNTAIN
Waste (Fantastic, Oct. 1958) – Previously collected in COFFIN NAILS
Vector: Two Attempts At Story (Tomorrow and…, Jan. 1969)
The Saddest Lot of All – Previously collected in COFFIN NAILS
Visitation on a Thursday – Previously collected in COFFIN NAILS

Ash Wurthing

Jun 1, 2021, 8:23:50 PM6/1/21
Thank you fascist Will Dockery for telling me I must accept only lists of greatest poets that only have his Beat idols...

I've noticed, Andre Lorde ranks higher on some lists, but Will wouldn't acknowledge that--
because just like the right wing and their fake news denials, Will has his bogus list denial (is Will a right winger?)
but Will will ignore her, because his ego hates strong women...

also Will put your dick away, you're waving it around again...

W-Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 9:14:17 PM6/1/21
No, you're wrong again, Ash I'm actually a fan of some strong women.

Ayn Rand being a most recent example.

Look her up.

:)

Ash Wurthing

Jun 1, 2021, 9:42:09 PM6/1/21
No thank you, I rather be forced fed my intestines. Got more important things to do-- Manhattan and Phantom Blue are both up and running as you saw. So much to do and so little time.

W.Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 10:00:19 PM6/1/21
Your choice, I was just correcting your error.

As for strong female poets I love, try Anne Waldman, Patti Smith and Ann Sexton for starters, if you get the time.

Ash Wurthing

Jun 1, 2021, 10:49:20 PM6/1/21
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 10:00:19 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> As for strong female poets I love, try Anne Waldman, Patti Smith and Ann Sexton for starters, if you get the time.

Too busy reading Hilda Doolittle's work.

W-Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 10:56:17 PM6/1/21
H. D. was good, as were Mina Loy and Edna Saint Vincent Millay.

And let's not forget Sylvia Plath.

Michael Pendragon

Jun 1, 2021, 11:17:33 PM6/1/21
You didn't know who Mina Loy was until Pick posted her poem, and you didn't know who Edna Saint Vincent Millay was until I'd mentioned her.

I highly doubt that you've read very much by either of them in the three or so years that have since passed.

Smart money holds that you've never heard of Hilda Doolittle prior to Ash's mention of her. I'm guessing you googled her up and hurriedly read a couple of lines of her poetry.

Will Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 11:23:11 PM6/1/21
No, I've been familiar with H.D. for a few years now, and have posted about her here with George Dance.

I'll check with the archives and bump those posts.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

W-Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 2:45:17 AM6/2/21
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 11:17:33 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:

> Smart money holds that you've never heard of Hilda Doolittle prior to Ash's mention of her

You'd lose your money, my friend.

Here we were reading H.D.'s poetry three years ago, even Rachel and Zod are aware of the poetry of Hilda Doolittle:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76234&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#76234

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 12:29:48 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 12:07:34 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> >
> > Heat, by H.D.
> >
> > O wind, rend open the heat,
> > cut apart the heat,
> > rend it to tatters.
> > [...]
> >
> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2018/08/heat-hd.html
> Hilda Doolittle, nice find, one of the original American avant-garde:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/UgluDPA17qs/8qwh1beTCQAJ
>
> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern
> Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to
> have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around
> 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back
> as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free
> Versers".
>
> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this
> group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...]
> poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>
> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the
> writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because
> they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter
> and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.
>
> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and
> beyond...
>
> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and
> others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the
> generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>
> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>
> Richard Aldington
> Amy Lowell
> Vacel Lindsay
> Harry Kemp
> Donald Evans
> Allen Norton
> Louise Norton
> H.D. aka Hilda Doolittle
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Mina Loy
> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

Yes, once again, Michael Pendragon, you're wrong... but you should be getting used to it by now.

HTH & HAND.

Michael Pendragon

Jun 2, 2021, 9:04:14 AM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 2:45:17 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 11:17:33 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Smart money holds that you've never heard of Hilda Doolittle prior to Ash's mention of her
> You'd lose your money, my friend.
>
> Here we were reading H.D.'s poetry three years ago, even Rachel and Zod are aware of the poetry of Hilda Doolittle:

What do mean by "even Rachel and Zod"?

Rachel is better educated than you. And Stink appears to have actually graduated high school.
Once again, Hilda Doolittle is a name that you've latched onto from AAPC conversations over the course of the past three years (three years seems to be the outer limit of your ability to retain information).

W.Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 10:57:15 AM6/2/21
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 2:45:17 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 11:17:33 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
>> >
>> > Smart money holds that you've never heard of Hilda Doolittle prior to Ash's mention of her xxxxxx
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Right here, Karen.
> Once again, Hilda Doolittle is a xxxxx
xxxxxxxx

A poet I've recently (in recent years) discovered and enjoyed reading about her and reading her poetry.

You were wrong, but I don't expect you to admit it.

Coco DeSockmonkey

Jun 2, 2021, 11:13:28 AM6/2/21
How many of her poems have you actually read?

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 11:33:59 AM6/2/21
I haven't read everything by Hilda Doolittle and never claimed to have.

I discovered her poetry in recent years and like it, and intend to read more of her poetry when I see it.

The fact is that you were wrong, Pendragon, just admit it.

Karen Tellefsen

Jun 2, 2021, 12:11:16 PM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:57:15 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Michael Pendragon wrote:

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Michael just said he doubts you knew about HD before Ash mentioned her. You proved that you have read "Heat" by HD. His doubt was wrong and you were right.

What annoys me is that you think your opinions are more important than Michael's or Ash's or even mine. Other people's opinions are just as important even if you don't agree with them. Ash and Michael are poetry lovers, and their opinions are valid. I don't like the way they belittle you, but sometimes you unwittingly egg them on. You don't need to get the last word in to validate yourself.

So, what HD poems have you read besides "Heat"? What did YOU like about them? (I seem like a HS English teacher now.)

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 12:47:52 PM6/2/21
Karen Tellefsen wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:57:15 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>> Michael Pendragon wrote:

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Michael just said he doubts you knew about HD before Ash mentioned her. You proved that you have read "Heat" by HD. His doubt was wrong and you were right.

Thanks.

> What annoys me is that you think your opinions are more important than Michael's or Ash's or even mine

Sorry if it looks that way, but I don;t feel that way at all, Karen.
***

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 1:12:31 PM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 12:11:16 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 10:57:15 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Michael just said he doubts you knew about HD before Ash mentioned her. You proved that you have read "Heat" by HD. His doubt was wrong and you were right.
>
> What annoys me is that you think your opinions are more important than Michael's or Ash's or even mine. Other people's opinions are just as important even if you don't agree with them. Ash and Michael are poetry lovers, and their opinions are valid. I don't like the way they belittle you, but sometimes you unwittingly egg them on. You don't need to get the last word in to validate yourself.
>
> So, what HD poems have you read besides "Heat"? What did YOU like about them? (I seem like a HS English teacher now.)

I also liked this poem by H.D.

Helen by H. D.

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76233&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#76233

On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 7:42:31 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 11:20:43 PM UTC-4, Rex Hester Jr. wrote:

Corrected post....

All Greece hates
the still eyes in the white face,
the lustre as of olives
where she stands,
and the white hands.

All Greece reviles
the wan face when she smiles,
hating it deeper still
when it grows wan and white,
remembering past enchantments
and past ills. [...]

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46541/helen-56d22674d6e41

I love Hilda Doolittle's poetry.....

aka H.D.

Thanks for giving the poem some notice, and for correcting the poet's first name, Zod.

Hilda Doolittle poetry, from two years ago.
***

Michael Pendragon

Jun 2, 2021, 3:00:10 PM6/2/21
Again, I doubt that, prior to your archive search, you had any recollection of either H.D. or her poem.

And, FYI, the above is not her complete poem -- it's an excerpt.

I suggest that you go to George's blog, read the poem in its entirety, and tell us what you like about.

Zod

Jun 2, 2021, 3:01:11 PM6/2/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:18:17 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Karen Tellefsen wrote:
>
> > On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 6:18:21 AM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> >
> >> The origins of Memorial Day, and the power of a poem.
> >
> >> https://theconversation.com/the-forgotten-history-of-memorial-day-97199
> >
> > Thanks for posting this. I learned something.
> Perhaps one difference Columbus, Georgia has from Royston Vasey?

Columbus Georgia was alsothe site of the last land battle of the Civil War...

True story...

W.Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 5:34:18 PM6/2/21
NancyGene wrote:

> The last land battle of the Civil War was the Battle of Palmito Ranch in Texas, which took place a month after the Confederate forces surrendered. The last man killed in the Civil War was at Hobdy's Bridge, Alabama, a week after that.

Zod was getting his information from what was previously considered the last land battle of the Civil War:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)

"Several authorities claim Columbus should be classified as the last battle of the Civil War..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)#Argument_that_Columbus_was_the_last_battle_of_the_Civil_War

"Argument that Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War
Several sources have held that this was the last battle of the war..."

"Insofar as the surrender of the bulk of Confederates on April 26, 1865, at Bennett Place, North Carolina, marked the effective end of the war (as many state governments maintained), the Battle at Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War. President Andrew Johnson, who had succeeded Lincoln, declared the war over on May 10, 1865. This was the day that President Jefferson Davis was captured. Johnson characterized remaining resisters as no longer combatants, but "fugitives."..."

"The officers who led Union forces in the battle insisted that Columbus was the last battle of the war. On May 30, 1865 Brevet Major General Emory Upton reported for his division in the Wilson Raid, in the Official Records, that the Battle of Columbus was the "closing conflict of the war."[24] In 1868, General Wilson gave a speech to a soldier's reunion, wherein he detailed the Battle of Columbus and concluded "the last battle had been fought."[25] In 1913 Wilson wrote that there were "no grounds left for doubting that 'Columbus was the last battle of the war.'"[26] General Edward F. Winslow wrote, "I have always considered that engagement, by the number present and the results achieved, to be the final battle of the war."[27] Colonel Theodore Allen wrote, "It is true that there was some desultory fighting and scrapping after the battle at Columbus, Georgia, but nothing of sufficient size to entitle it to the name of a battle."[28]

A movement to preserve the Girard/Columbus battlefield as a national park was active from the 1890s through the 1930s. The director of the National Park Service, Arno B. Cammerer, rejected the proposal in 1934. In response, in 1935 the Georgia state legislature passed a resolution identifying the battle as the last of the Civil War and calling again for a national battlefield park to be established there..."

So there's some truth in Zod's statement, after all... interesting discussion, though.

Ash Wurthing

Jun 2, 2021, 6:19:47 PM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 5:34:18 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> So there's some truth in Zod's statement, after all... interesting discussion, though.

Some truth which is a good statement about the issue. But not grounds for continuing the argument about absolute-- just like you rely on the opinion of some experts, History Channel and some other experts disagree. Last land battle is overly broad and does not mean the last "official" battle that you're bringing it the argument for the win.

https://www.history.com/news/6-civil-war-battles-after-appomattox

So don't fan the flames of another fight. Make your point and let it stand for itself.

W.Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 6:33:15 PM6/2/21
True, the details are complicated.

Family Guy

Jun 2, 2021, 7:03:43 PM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 5:34:18 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> NancyGene wrote:
> >
> > The last land battle of the Civil War was the Battle of Palmito Ranch in Texas, which took place a month after the Confederate forces surrendered. The last man killed in the Civil War was at Hobdy's Bridge, Alabama, a week after that.
>
> Zod was getting his information from what was previously considered the last land battle of the Civil Wa
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)#Argument_that_Columbus_was_the_last_battle_of_the_Civil_War

Zod should not be so stupid as to trust Wikipedia for his information, nor to have someone like yourself, a known idiot, attempt to justify his incorrect information.

> "Argument that Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War
> Several sources have held that this was the last battle of the war..."

"Several sources". Which is why Wikipedia is such a joke.
"Several sources" are incorrect.

> "Insofar as the surrender of the bulk of Confederates on April 26, 1865, at Bennett Place, North Carolina, marked the effective end of the war (as many state governments maintained), the Battle at Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War. President Andrew Johnson, who had succeeded Lincoln, declared the war over on May 10, 1865. This was the day that President Jefferson Davis was captured. Johnson characterized remaining resisters as no longer combatants, but "fugitives."..."
>
> "The officers who led Union forces in the battle insisted that Columbus was the last battle of the war. On May 30, 1865 Brevet Major General Emory Upton reported for his division in the Wilson Raid, in the Official Records, that the Battle of Columbus was the "closing conflict of the war."[24] In 1868, General Wilson gave a speech to a soldier's reunion, wherein he detailed the Battle of Columbus and concluded "the last battle had been fought."[25] In 1913 Wilson wrote that there were "no grounds left for doubting that 'Columbus was the last battle of the war.'"[26] General Edward F. Winslow wrote, "I have always considered that engagement, by the number present and the results achieved, to be the final battle of the war."[27] Colonel Theodore Allen wrote, "It is true that there was some desultory fighting and scrapping after the battle at Columbus, Georgia, but nothing of sufficient size to entitle it to the name of a battle."[28]
>
> A movement to preserve the Girard/Columbus battlefield as a national park was active from the 1890s through the 1930s. The director of the National Park Service, Arno B. Cammerer, rejected the proposal in 1934. In response, in 1935 the Georgia state legislature passed a resolution identifying the battle as the last of the Civil War and calling again for a national battlefield park to be established there..."
>
> So there's some truth in Zod's statement, after all.

No. No, there isn't.
By the way, moron, instead of just cut and pasting footnotes, perhaps linking to their "sources" (snicker) would be better.

Family Guy

Jun 2, 2021, 7:04:04 PM6/2/21
For you, figuring out PUSH and PULL are considered as "complicated."

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 7:18:45 PM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 7:01:49 PM UTC-4, Family Guy wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 5:29:18 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > NancyGene wrote:
> > >
> > > The last land battle of the Civil War was the Battle of Palmito Ranch in Texas, which took place a month after the Confederate forces surrendered. The last man killed in the Civil War was at Hobdy's Bridge, Alabama, a week after that.
> >
> > Zod was getting his information from what was previously considered the last land battle of the Civil War:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)
> >
> > "Several authorities claim Columbus should be classified as the last battle of the Civil War..."
> Zod should not be so stupid as to trust Wikipedia for his information

No, I'm sure Zod got the information straight from local lore.

There's even a "historical marker" at 14t Street in Columbus, where this epic battle was fought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)#Argument_that_Columbus_was_the_last_battle_of_the_Civil_War

> > "Argument that Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War
> > Several sources have held that this was the last battle of the war..."
> "Several sources". Which is why Wikipedia is such a joke.
> "Several sources" are incorrect.
> >
> > "Insofar as the surrender of the bulk of Confederates on April 26, 1865, at Bennett Place, North Carolina, marked the effective end of the war (as many state governments maintained), the Battle at Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War. President Andrew Johnson, who had succeeded Lincoln, declared the war over on May 10, 1865. This was the day that President Jefferson Davis was captured. Johnson characterized remaining resisters as no longer combatants, but "fugitives."..."
> >
> > "The officers who led Union forces in the battle insisted that Columbus was the last battle of the war. On May 30, 1865 Brevet Major General Emory Upton reported for his division in the Wilson Raid, in the Official Records, that the Battle of Columbus was the "closing conflict of the war."[24] In 1868, General Wilson gave a speech to a soldier's reunion, wherein he detailed the Battle of Columbus and concluded "the last battle had been fought."[25] In 1913 Wilson wrote that there were "no grounds left for doubting that 'Columbus was the last battle of the war.'"[26] General Edward F. Winslow wrote, "I have always considered that engagement, by the number present and the results achieved, to be the final battle of the war."[27] Colonel Theodore Allen wrote, "It is true that there was some desultory fighting and scrapping after the battle at Columbus, Georgia, but nothing of sufficient size to entitle it to the name of a battle."[28]
> >
> > A movement to preserve the Girard/Columbus battlefield as a national park was active from the 1890s through the 1930s. The director of the National Park Service, Arno B. Cammerer, rejected the proposal in 1934. In response, in 1935 the Georgia state legislature passed a resolution identifying the battle as the last of the Civil War and calling again for a national battlefield park to be established there..."
> >
> > So there's some truth in Zod's statement, after all.
> No. No, there isn't.

Yes, there is, Alex.

:)

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 7:28:46 PM6/2/21
Family Guy wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 5:29:18 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
>> Zod was getting his information from what was previously considered the last land battle of the Civil War:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)
>>
>> "Several authorities claim Columbus should be classified as the last battle of the Civil War..."

> Zod should not be so stupid as to trust Wikipedia for his information,

I know Zod, as most of us locals, has seen this sign many times at 14th Street and 4th Avenue in Columbus Georgia:

https://georgiahistory.com/ghmi_marker_updated/last-land-battle-in-war-of-1861-1865/

Last Land Battle in War of 1861-1865

MARKER TIME PERIOD: 19TH CENTURY
MARKER SUBJECT: CIVIL WAR, MILITARY HISTORY
MARKER PROGRAM: GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION / DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
COUNTY: MUSCOGEE
REGION: PIEDMONT
Year Erected: 1953

Marker Text: The last important land battle of the War Between the States was fought here April 16, 1856, resulting in the capture of Columbus by Federal forces.

The engagement began directly west of Columbus in Alabama and ended on the Georgia side of the Chattahoochee. The defending line of entrenchments (in Alabama) was more than a mile in length.

Artillery mounted on high hills was used in the action. Both cavalry and infantry engaged in the battle.

And so it goes...

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 9:08:09 PM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 6:19:47 PM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 5:34:18 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > So there's some truth in Zod's statement, after all... interesting discussion, though.
>
> Some truth which is a good statement about the issue. But not grounds for continuing the argument about absolute-- just like you rely on the opinion of some experts, History Channel and some other experts disagree. Last land battle is overly broad and does not mean the last "official" battle that you're bringing it the argument for the win.
>
> https://www.history.com/news/6-civil-war-battles-after-appomattox

There's also this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conclusion_of_the_American_Civil_War#Columbus,_Georgia_(April_16,_1865)

"Columbus, Georgia (April 16, 1865)
Main article: Battle of Columbus, Georgia
Unaware of Lee's surrender on April 9 and the assassination of United States President Abraham Lincoln on April 14, General James H. Wilson's Raiders continued their march through Alabama into Georgia. On April 16, the Battle of Columbus, Georgia was fought. This battle – erroneously – has been argued to be the "last battle of the Civil War" and equally erroneously asserted to be "widely regarded" as such. Columbus fell to Wilson's Raiders about midnight on April 16, and most of its manufacturing capacity was destroyed on the 17th. Confederate Colonel John Stith Pemberton, the inventor of Coca-Cola, was wounded in this battle which resulted in his obsession with pain-killing formulas, ultimately ending in the recipe for his celebrated drink..."

So, Zod made a common mistake, bolstered by local lore.

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 9:42:12 PM6/2/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 3:00:10 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 1:12:31 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 12:11:16 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Michael just said he doubts you knew about HD before Ash mentioned her. You proved that you have read "Heat" by
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> HD. His doubt was wrong and you were right.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Of course Pendragon still will not admit he was wrong, which is typical of him.

> > > What annoys me is that you think your opinions are more important than Michael's or Ash's or even mine. Other people's opinions are just as important even if you don't agree with them. Ash and Michael are poetry lovers, and their opinions are valid. I don't like the way they belittle you, but sometimes you unwittingly egg them on. You don't need to get the last word in to validate yourself.
> > >
> > > So, what HD poems have you read besides "Heat"? What did YOU like about them? (I seem like a HS English teacher now.)
> > I also liked this poem by H.D.
> >

> > Helen by H. D.
> >
> > https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=76233&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#76233
> >
> > On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 7:42:31 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 11:20:43 PM UTC-4, Rex Hester Jr. wrote:
> >
> > Corrected post....
> >
> > All Greece hates
> > the still eyes in the white face,
> > the lustre as of olives
> > where she stands,
> > and the white hands.
> >
> > All Greece reviles
> > the wan face when she smiles,
> > hating it deeper still
> > when it grows wan and white,
> > remembering past enchantments
> > and past ills. [...]
> >
> > https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46541/helen-56d22674d6e41
> >
> > I love Hilda Doolittle's poetry.....
> >
> > aka H.D.
> >
> > Thanks for giving the poem some notice, and for correcting the poet's first name, Zod.
> >
> > Hilda Doolittle poetry, from two years ago.
>
> And, FYI, the above is not her complete poem -- it's an excerpt.

No shit, Sherlock.

:)

Will Dockery

Jun 4, 2021, 5:30:31 AM6/4/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 7:03:43 PM UTC-4, Family Guy wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 5:34:18 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> >>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)#Argument_that_Columbus_was_the_last_battle_of_the_Civil_War
>
> > "Argument that Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War
> > Several sources have held that this was the last battle of the war..."
> "Several sources". Which is why Wikipedia is such a joke.
> "Several sources" are incorrect.
> >
> > "Insofar as the surrender of the bulk of Confederates on April 26, 1865, at Bennett Place, North Carolina, marked the effective end of the war (as many state governments maintained), the Battle at Columbus was the last battle of the Civil War. President Andrew Johnson, who had succeeded Lincoln, declared the war over on May 10, 1865. This was the day that President Jefferson Davis was captured. Johnson characterized remaining resisters as no longer combatants, but "fugitives."..."
> >
> > "The officers who led Union forces in the battle insisted that Columbus was the last battle of the war. On May 30, 1865 Brevet Major General Emory Upton reported for his division in the Wilson Raid, in the Official Records, that the Battle of Columbus was the "closing conflict of the war."[24] In 1868, General Wilson gave a speech to a soldier's reunion, wherein he detailed the Battle of Columbus and concluded "the last battle had been fought."[25] In 1913 Wilson wrote that there were "no grounds left for doubting that 'Columbus was the last battle of the war.'"[26] General Edward F. Winslow wrote, "I have always considered that engagement, by the number present and the results achieved, to be the final battle of the war."[27] Colonel Theodore Allen wrote, "It is true that there was some desultory fighting and scrapping after the battle at Columbus, Georgia, but nothing of sufficient size to entitle it to the name of a battle."[28]
> >
> > A movement to preserve the Girard/Columbus battlefield as a national park was active from the 1890s through the 1930s. The director of the National Park Service, Arno B. Cammerer, rejected the proposal in 1934. In response, in 1935 the Georgia state legislature passed a resolution identifying the battle as the last of the Civil War and calling again for a national battlefield park to be established there..."
> >
> > So there's some truth in Zod's statement, after all.
> No. No, there isn't.

Yes, Zod was citing local lore.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 4, 2021, 5:40:34 AM6/4/21
Good morning!

FYI, get a free donut with any drink purchase today at Dunkin’ for #NationalDonutDay!

W.Dockery

Jun 4, 2021, 9:46:18 AM6/4/21
Good morning, Corey.

> FYI, get a free donut with any drink purchase today at Dunkin’ for #NationalDonutDay!

Well, that's good to know.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jun 4, 2021, 10:38:34 AM6/4/21
"I'm only here for the donuts." -- Will Donkey

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 4, 2021, 10:45:58 AM6/4/21
It’s only one day, Michael. Don’t worry. It’ll be waffles again tomorrow.

Will Dockery

Jun 4, 2021, 11:08:43 AM6/4/21
Troll much, Pendragon?

:)

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 4, 2021, 11:20:18 AM6/4/21
Donut.

Zod

Jun 4, 2021, 12:03:02 PM6/4/21
On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 2:45:17 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 11:17:33 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Smart money holds that you've never heard of Hilda Doolittle prior to Ash's mention of her
> You'd lose your money, my friend.
>
> Here we were reading H.D.'s poetry three years ago, even Rachel and Zod are aware of the poetry of Hilda Doolittle:

You nailed that one...

Zod

Jun 4, 2021, 12:15:45 PM6/4/21
Love H.D.poetry...

Will Dockery

Jun 4, 2021, 11:15:19 PM6/4/21
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:43:13 AM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 6:18:21 AM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
>
> > The origins of Memorial Day, and the power of a poem.
>
> > https://theconversation.com/the-forgotten-history-of-memorial-day-97199
>
> Thanks for posting this. I learned something.

Those Columbus girls have a lot of heart and soul, I'm proud to say:

"During 1866, the first year of this annual observance in the South, a feature of the holiday emerged that made awareness, admiration and eventually imitation of it spread quickly to the North. During the inaugural Memorial Day observances which were conceived in Columbus, Georgia, many Southern participants – especially women – decorated graves of Confederate soldiers as well as, unexpectedly, those of their former enemies who fought for the Union. Shortly after those first Memorial Day observances all across the South, newspaper coverage in the North was highly favorable to the ex-Confederates.

“The action of the ladies on this occasion, in burying whatever animosities or ill-feeling may have been engendered in the late war towards those who fought against them, is worthy of all praise and commendation,” wrote one paper.

On May 9, 1866, the Cleveland Daily Leader lauded the Southern women during their first Memorial Day.

“The act was as beautiful as it was unselfish, and will be appreciated in the North.”

The New York Commercial Advertiser, recognizing the magnanimous deeds of the women of Columbus, Georgia, echoed the sentiment. “Let this incident, touching and beautiful as it is, impart to our Washington authorities a lesson in conciliation.”

Family Guy

Jun 4, 2021, 11:25:30 PM6/4/21
On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 11:15:19 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> Those Columbus girls have a lot of heart and soul, I'm proud to say:

Stop stalking teenage girls, Dockery. You disgusting creep.

W.Dockery

Jun 5, 2021, 12:57:16 AM6/5/21
Lyingly troll much, Alex>

:)

Ash Wurthing

Jun 5, 2021, 1:47:57 AM6/5/21
And will disrespects everyone and the dead by making this thread all about Columbus-- aka himself. If Columbus-- aka his self -- wasn't involved, he wouldn't care. I noticed he didn't say anything to honor our war dead who died for his ungrateful, entitled, self absorbed hedonist ways.

Will Dockery

Jun 5, 2021, 1:49:17 AM6/5/21
On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 1:47:57 AM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:

> And will disrespects everyone xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's a lie, Ash.

Ash Wurthing

Jun 5, 2021, 2:13:21 AM6/5/21
Did you acknowledge in any way the poem mentioned in the article? Did you understand that it just wasn't Columbus but a nationwide effort that made Memorial Day not just a holiday for you to party, but made Lincoln's words, "with malice toward none" a reality and help reunite the Nation?

Did you miss this very relevant quote to today's situation? “Let this incident, touching and beautiful as it is, impart to our Washington authorities a lesson in conciliation.”

What I loved the most was the child's words that were quoted. It gives me hope, when I hear of such from children when us adults have lost our way.

Will Dockery

Jun 5, 2021, 2:15:03 AM6/5/21
On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 2:13:21 AM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:

> Did you acknowledge in any way the poem

Did you?

No, all you've done here is attack me, Ash.

Will Dockery

Jun 5, 2021, 2:25:44 AM6/5/21
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 8:23:50 PM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:

> Thank you fascist xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Like I said, Ash in nothing but attack mode.

Karen Tellefsen

Jun 5, 2021, 8:03:52 AM6/5/21
We really made a chocolate mess of Corey's initial post. We are revolting.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 5, 2021, 8:40:10 AM6/5/21
Yes you are. You discussed me.

Karen Tellefsen

Jun 5, 2021, 9:37:54 AM6/5/21
I needed that silly laugh.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 5, 2021, 9:56:19 AM6/5/21
I’m glad I could oblige. I need to go mow the lawn now.

Zod

Jun 5, 2021, 7:07:05 PM6/5/21
We had fun, that is what matters most in poetry and art, is itenjoyable...

Family Guy

Jun 5, 2021, 10:48:31 PM6/5/21
you are about as enjoyable as hernia surgery.

W.Dockery

Jun 6, 2021, 11:11:17 AM6/6/21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1865)#Argument_hat_Columbus_was_the_last_battle_of_the_Civil_War

>> > Good morning!
>> Good morning, Corey.
>
>> > FYI, get a free donut with any drink purchase today at Dunkin’ for #NationalDonutDay!
>
>> Well, that's good to know.
>
> "I'm only here for xxxx

You are only on this thread to troll me, obviously.

:)

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 6, 2021, 11:18:07 AM6/6/21
I’m only here for the potato quips.