Long May You Live / c&c

George Dance

Feb 12, 2016, 11:18:53 PM2/12/16
Long may you live

for K.K.

Long may you live, long after I am gone,
And may you always keep your thoughts upon
Our memories; may the good times you and I
Once had be points of light to journey by,
Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.

May each day find you welcoming the dawn
And living life complete: a day to try,
To win, to celebrate with your head high.
Long may you live.

May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
And on that future day when you must die,
Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
And leave a wish for those who carry on:
"Long may you live."
Message has been deleted

Rachel

Feb 12, 2016, 11:36:31 PM2/12/16
That's beautiful, and comforting. Thank you, George. :)

George Dance

Feb 12, 2016, 11:40:48 PM2/12/16
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:30:37 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous707 wrote:
> Reads like the Lamentations of a grandparent. Good work.
> Thanks for posting. Haven't heard from you in a while.

I hadn't been written any poetry in a while. Thanks for reading.

George Dance

Feb 12, 2016, 11:41:20 PM2/12/16
Thank you for the read and comment, Rachel.

Will Dockery

Feb 12, 2016, 11:56:04 PM2/12/16
Great to see you back, and back in touch with your Muse, old friend.

:)

George Dance

Feb 13, 2016, 12:35:31 AM2/13/16
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:56:04 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:40:48 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> > On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:30:37 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous707 wrote:
> > > Reads like the Lamentations of a grandparent. Good work.
> > > Thanks for posting. Haven't heard from you in a while.
> >
> > I hadn't [...] written any poetry in a while. Thanks for reading.
>
> Great to see you back, and back in touch with your Muse, old friend.
>
> :)

Temporarily, anyway; this is the only poem I've written in 10 months, and the next one may well take another 10 or more. I'm glad you saw it; thanks for reading.

Michael Pendragon

Feb 13, 2016, 1:47:01 AM2/13/16
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> Long may you live
>
> for K.K.
>
> Long may you live, long after I am gone,

Excellent opening. The pause after "live" makes for an arresting meter.

> And may you always keep your thoughts upon

"keep" is a little weak. Either "train" or "fix" or "turn" would be better.

> Our memories; may the good times you and I
> Once had be points of light to journey by,
> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.

A wonderful thought with a beautiful final line that brings the stanza to a powerful close.

> May each day find you welcoming the dawn

Good opening.

> And living life complete: a day to try,
> To win, to celebrate with your head high.
> Long may you live.

The last three lines of this stanza don't really do anything for me. There's nothing wrong them, per se, but they lack the poetry of memories as "points of light to journey by."

> May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,

A bit preachy.

> True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;

Both segments of this line feel like they're repeating one another, and the entire line seems somewhat forced.

> And on that future day when you must die,

I don't like the use of "future" here. "And on that day when" implies that it's in the future. Instead, use an adjective that points out some other element of that day.

> Once more may you remember me, and sigh,

Nice.

> And leave a wish for those who carry on:

I would make this "And leave this wish" -- it's much more specific.
> "Long may you live."

I've noticed that the second and third stanza end with this line but the first doesn't. Looking back over the poem, I think it would be improved structurally if it were repeated in all three. It would also give the final repetition more strength:

Long may you live, long after I am gone,
And may you always fix your thoughts upon
Our memories; may the good times you and I
Once had be points of light to journey by,
Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
Long may you live.

Will Dockery

Feb 13, 2016, 3:16:17 AM2/13/16
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
Gadzooks.

I've read this one over and again... perhaps one of the most perfect poems I've ever seen, and I'm including the giants in on that, such as Frost, Poe and Rimbaud.

Bravo, my man, but don't stop here, try to bat a few mover out while the pen is hot, even if they don't match up, you never know when you'll hit a double, or even a grand slam, eh?

:D

Will Dockery

Feb 13, 2016, 10:42:11 AM2/13/16
Nobody ever made a rule that the poems had to come out at any good speed.

There have been times in my life where months, perhaps a year but not quite have passed without writing poetry, or even worse, without writing any good poetry.

Why the mid-1980s was so horrible on our poetry, both rich and poor, famous and obscure, or many of us, me and the poets I admire, since there /was/ I suppose a lot of "good" poetry being written and released back then, I just found I couldn't "write that way" very well.

My high points of 1977-1983 led to 1984, still rolling, but on steam, as my interest in comic art and painting began to overtake me, as did an interest in "working" politics of a full-time 48 hour a week Mill Worker, and small press publisher. The poetry still came but I could see that it was sometimes hallow during those Orwellian years and overwhelmingly white redneck and rural black mentality. Which I might add I'm quite at home with, sometimes... I don't suffer snobbish fools and artsy fartsies easily.

By 1988-89 I had found my footing as a poet again, and in 1995 I finally emerged on the public stages and streets as the poet-singer-songwriter I'm most identified with today.

But it was not an easy, pat, evolution, and the poems did not always just come a rolling out like drops from Odin's Mead Bag...

But all this is another story, for another time. I digress, as Harlan Ellison would, and does, say.

Simply put, George, we will welcome the poems when they are ready, and there is no rush, my friend.

:)

gen...@hotmail.com

Feb 13, 2016, 12:00:14 PM2/13/16

I see you're still forcing your pointless drivel
into ten syllables per line, syllable counter!

"fireflies" learn to proofread.

George Dance

Feb 13, 2016, 12:20:41 PM2/13/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-5, gen...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I see you're still forcing your pointless drivel
> into ten syllables per line, syllable counter!

Pointless drivel, indeed. And after I even included an image just for you, imagist imbecile.

> "fireflies" learn to proofread.

Already found and fixed; but thank you for pointing that out.

George Dance

Feb 13, 2016, 12:49:49 PM2/13/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:47:01 AM UTC-5, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> > Long may you live
> >
> > for K.K.
> >
> > Long may you live, long after I am gone,
>
> Excellent opening. The pause after "live" makes for an arresting meter.

Thanks. That's the Muse's line; the one I came up with out of the blue months ago, and then had to build a poem around

> > And may you always keep your thoughts upon
>
> "keep" is a little weak. Either "train" or "fix" or "turn" would be better.

"Fix" is much better, in the way it works with 'upon' and the semi-alliteration with "thoughts".

> > Our memories; may the good times you and I
> > Once had be points of light to journey by,
> > Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
>
> A wonderful thought with a beautiful final line that brings the stanza to a powerful close.

Thanks. 2 people have to be credited for that line: (1) the generic troll (seriously), who insisted it can't be a poem without at least one image; and (2) Amy Lowell, who gave me this image in a poem of hers years ago:

http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2010/07/july-midnight-amy-lowell.html

> > May each day find you welcoming the dawn
>
> Good opening.
>
> > And living life complete: a day to try,
> > To win, to celebrate with your head high.
> > Long may you live.
>
> The last three lines of this stanza don't really do anything for me. There's nothing wrong them, per se, but they lack the poetry of memories as "points of light to journey by."

True; this is more didactic, "If"-type verse. It's the part I originally came up with, back when this was going to be a poem to my daughter (but the "try, win, celebrate" advice is better suited to a man, anyway).

> > May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
>
> A bit preachy.

Yes; but it's something more personal for KK that I think will resonate (he and I share a common interest in Bob Marley's music).

> > True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
>
> Both segments of this line feel like they're repeating one another, and the entire line seems somewhat forced.

Both those lines were forced last night: the last 2 that remained to be written, both of which had to rhyme with "gone"! I see what you mean by the repetition, but I like how the repetition emphasizes the thought.

> > And on that future day when you must die,
>
> I don't like the use of "future" here. "And on that day when" implies that it's in the future. Instead, use an adjective that points out some other element of that day.

What I want to say about that day is only that I hope it's a long way off. I agree that "future day" doesn't do that as well as I'd want; I'll reserve the right to change that later.

> > Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
>
> Nice.
>
> > And leave a wish for those who carry on:
>
> I would make this "And leave this wish" -- it's much more specific.

Yes, it does: that'a another change I'll make right away.

> > "Long may you live."
>
> I've noticed that the second and third stanza end with this line but the first doesn't. Looking back over the poem, I think it would be improved structurally if it were repeated in all three. It would also give the final repetition more strength:
>
> Long may you live, long after I am gone,
> And may you always fix your thoughts upon
> Our memories; may the good times you and I
> Once had be points of light to journey by,
> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
> Long may you live.

Yes, that is an improvement. Problem is, though, that it's a rondeau, and it has to follow that form. (This time I made only one change, flipping the rhyme in L7)

I'm not sure why the rondeau doesn't use the refrain (or, to give you the fancy French word I learned this morning, the /rentrement/) in S1. I suppose it's because that half line already appears in that stanza as the first words; I don't think that's a compelling reason, but I do want to hold to the form as closely as possible.

George Dance

Feb 13, 2016, 12:53:13 PM2/13/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 3:16:17 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> > Long may you live
> >
> > for K.K.
> >
> > Long may you live, long after I am gone,
> > And may you always keep your thoughts upon
> > Our memories; may the good times you and I
> > Once had be points of light to journey by,
> > Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
> >
> > May each day find you welcoming the dawn
> > And living life complete: a day to try,
> > To win, to celebrate with your head high.
> > Long may you live.
> >
> > May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
> > True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
> > And on that future day when you must die,
> > Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
> > And leave a wish for those who carry on:
> > "Long may you live."
>
> Gadzooks.
>
> I've read this one over and again... perhaps one of the most perfect poems I've ever seen, and I'm including the giants in on that, such as Frost, Poe and Rimbaud.

Thank you, Will. With your encouragement (and Corey's, Rachel's, and Michael's), I'm encouraged enough to blog it, which I'll do today with the 3 revisions that have come up so far.

> Bravo, my man, but don't stop here, try to bat a few mover out while the pen is hot, even if they don't match up, you never know when you'll hit a double, or even a grand slam, eh?

Thanks for the encouragement. I see you're going through a prolific period, which is good. I'm out of ideas, but I'll look for some, and try to write another.

> :D

George Dance

Feb 14, 2016, 11:27:18 AM2/14/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:49:49 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:47:01 AM UTC-5, Michael Pendragon wrote:

snip

> > > And on that future day when you must die,
> >
> > I don't like the use of "future" here. "And on that day when" implies that it's in the future. Instead, use an adjective that points out some other element of that day.
> >

> What I want to say about that day is only that I hope it's a long way off. I agree that "future day" doesn't do that as well as I'd want; I'll reserve the right to change that later.

And on that far-off day when you must die,

Will Dockery

Feb 14, 2016, 12:33:31 PM2/14/16
George, we have a "Round Robin" poem thread of sorts going over at Jimmy's "Over Easy" threads... short order cook poems about bacon and eggs men, and so on.

https://tytmb.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/nighthawks.jpg

A Nighthawks at the Diner kind of milieu is what I'm thinking, maybe that would work as a prompt?

gen...@hotmail.com

Feb 14, 2016, 12:33:34 PM2/14/16

On 13-Feb-2016, George Dance
<george...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Pointless drivel, indeed. And after I even
> included an image just for you,

If that's true, it's slightly disturbing.

But, you lie about practically everything, so who
knows?

> > "fireflies" learn to proofread.
>
> Already found and fixed; but thank you for
> pointing that out.

It's pretty funny that four of your slurp buddies
were so busy falling over themselves to tell you
how "perfect" your pointless drivel is that they
didn't notice a glaring typo.

Michael Pendragon

Feb 14, 2016, 2:49:17 PM2/14/16
Two thumbs up. :-)

Michael Pendragon

Feb 14, 2016, 2:59:54 PM2/14/16
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 12:33:34 PM UTC-5, gen...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 13-Feb-2016, George Dance
> <george...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> > Pointless drivel, indeed. And after I even
> > included an image just for you,
>
> If that's true, it's slightly disturbing.

Sadly, George's comment makes it clear that you once made a valuable contribution to the group. What happened? Nervous breakdown?

Here's hoping you can still turn yourself around.

Peter J Ross

Feb 14, 2016, 6:34:20 PM2/14/16
XNA: No

In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Fri, 12 Feb 2016 20:18:52 -0800 (PST),
George Dance wrote:

> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.

Heve you ever considered proof-reading the drivel you plagiarise,
Dunce? Dr Freud has instructed me to tell you that your lies aren't
interesting enough to count as "fire-lies".

Newcomers to AAPC who are tempted to comment helpfully on the drivel
Dunce has posted may like to know why they shouldn't bother.

Dunce has been caught plagiarising in AAPC and RAP three times:

1. from Leonard Cohen, in the hope of winning a poetry competition

2. from me, in the hope of making a profit

3. from an unidentified translator, again in the hope of making a
profit.

There are many other cases in which Dunce has been suspected of
plagiarising, and innumerable occasions on which he's stolen other
people's work without going quite so far as to pretend to be its
author.

Dunce is a thieving scumbag. Don't waste your time critiquing the
"poems" of which he pretends to be the author. Ignore him or flame
him: either way, treat him as the thieving scumbag he is.

--
PJR :-)

τὸν οἰόμενον νόον ἔχειν ὁ νουθετέων ματαιοπονεῖ.
- Democritus

Will Dockery

Feb 14, 2016, 7:14:47 PM2/14/16
Since he's apparently been in this sad condition at least a decade, most of us have lost hope for the Generic Troll's recovery.

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Feb 14, 2016, 7:17:56 PM2/14/16
Will Dockery <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in

> been in this sad condition at least a decade,
> most of us have lost hope

You're almost ready to practice euthanasia upon yourself.

"I've got news for you, I am not your normal delusional imbecile"
- Ed confirms what everyone already knew.

Rachel

Feb 14, 2016, 7:22:04 PM2/14/16
So am I. (lol)

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Feb 14, 2016, 7:42:35 PM2/14/16
Rachel <golda...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 4:17:56 PM UTC-8, Cujo DeSockpuppet
> wrote:
>> Will Dockery <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>> > been in this sad condition at least a decade,
>> > most of us have lost hope
>>
>> You're almost ready to practice euthanasia upon yourself.
>
> So am I. (lol)

Stop trying to read Dreckster's babbling. It always helps. Then have a nice
birch beer float with real vanilla ice cream. In extreme cases, I recommend
making jokes about a child support deadbeat and untalented liar.

"As for being a kook - we all kook, some kook better than others. And I
surely kook better than you." - Ilya Shambat on his own sanity.

Will Dockery

Feb 14, 2016, 8:51:53 PM2/14/16
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 7:22:04 PM UTC-5, Rachel wrote:

<troll snipped unread>

> So am I. (lol)

Keep your chin up, my friend.

:)

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Feb 14, 2016, 9:03:30 PM2/14/16
Will Dockery <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in news:0f0dff22-7cb8-495a-
99b3-df0...@googlegroups.com:

> On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 7:22:04 PM UTC-5, Rachel wrote:
>
> <troll snipped unread>

Do you ever stop lying, douchebag?

>> So am I. (lol)
>
> Keep your chin up, my friend.

Yes, there's always a douchebag worse off than you unless you use WebTeeVee
or are an untalented hillbilly deadbeat.

"Then I will send complaints, update pages, and file lawsuits until the
abuse ceases or until you start getting balls and posting under your
real identity, which ever miracle comes first--very simple people--take
your pick." - Ed Wollmann upbraids his own sockpuppets.

Rachel

Feb 14, 2016, 9:04:41 PM2/14/16
i think that reminds me of something i saw in the ud, but i could be wrong.

i tried to find it, but failed.

George Dance

Feb 14, 2016, 9:12:47 PM2/14/16
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 12:33:34 PM UTC-5, gen...@hotmail.com wrote:
Maybe they aren't as anal as you.

Will Dockery

Feb 14, 2016, 9:23:36 PM2/14/16
Certainly not nearly as obsessed with George Dance at Genric Troll is.

:)

--
Hasty Pudding
http://artemisrecords.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/09-Hasty-Puddingmastered-1.mp3

Will Dockery

Feb 15, 2016, 7:56:35 AM2/15/16
I could just still be sleepy, but I can't place was a "ud" is..?

gen...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2016, 11:48:16 AM2/15/16

On 14-Feb-2016, little willie doucheweasel wrote:

> most of us have lost hope

That's pretty obvious, little willie douchebag!

gen...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2016, 12:00:48 PM2/15/16

On 14-Feb-2016, wrote:

> > > Already found and fixed; but thank you for
> > > pointing that out.
> >
> > It's pretty funny that four of your slurp
> > buddies
> > were so busy falling over themselves to tell
> > you
> > how "perfect" your pointless drivel is that
> > they
> > didn't notice a glaring typo.
>
> Maybe they aren't as anal as you.

hahahaha, Yeah, that must be it, kook.

gen...@hotmail.com

Feb 15, 2016, 12:04:00 PM2/15/16

On 14-Feb-2016, Michael Pendragon
<michaelmalef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > And on that far-off day when you must die,
>
> Two thumbs up. :-)

I doubt that day is far off for old hate-filled
georgie.

Maybe he'll throw a clot like his idol, Justice
Scalia.

Rachel

Feb 15, 2016, 12:04:18 PM2/15/16
mwah ha ha. it's a window into the womb. it's what i am. (iud). i keep watch in the tower. i am the goddess of all aborted fertilizations. i don't let the boys in. on rare occasion, i allow an extra special swimmer through.

or it could just be shorthand for urban dictionary.

Will Dockery

Feb 15, 2016, 12:09:49 PM2/15/16
Rachel wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
> >
> > I could just still be sleepy, but I can't place was a "ud" is..?
>
> mwah ha ha. it's a window

Okay, I thought it might be a reference to Uncle Dudley.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Feb 15, 2016, 12:40:49 PM2/15/16
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 12:04:00 PM UTC-5, gen...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 14-Feb-2016, Michael Pendragon
> <michaelmalef...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > And on that far-off day when you must die,
> >
> > Two thumbs up. :-)
>

> I doubt that day is far off for old hate-filled
> georgie.

Are you really unable to comprehend the self-reflexive irony in that remark?

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Feb 21, 2016, 4:56:37 PM2/21/16
Peter J Ross <peadar...@gmx.com> wrote in

> In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 02:03:29 +0000 (UTC),
> Cujo DeSockpuppet wrote:
>
>> Will Dockery <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in
>> news:0f0dff22-7cb8-495a- 99b3-df0...@googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 7:22:04 PM UTC-5, Rachel wrote:
>>>
>>> <troll snipped unread>
>>
>> Do you ever stop lying, douchebag?
>
> I think we all know the answer to that. Even Dreckery knows it, during
> the brief interlude between waking up and taking his first Sterno™
> swig of the morning.

>>> Keep your chin up, my friend.
>>
>> Yes, there's always a douchebag worse off than you unless you use
>> WebTeeVee or are an untalented hillbilly deadbeat.
>
> Does WebTV still exist, or is it now offishully SPN4KED?

I think it was d00m3d when Shatner endorsed it but M1CR0$0FT pulled the
plug on it a few years back.

http://www.cnet.com/news/rip-webtv-microsoft-to-shut-down-msn-tv-on-sept-
30/

I hadn't had Usenet contact with any WebTeeVee users since Pambo "Pedo
Enabler ands Dallas Sk00lt33chur" Russell was deluding herself about
Wacko AKA Pedo Pan. That had to be about 8 or nine years ago since Scary
Popins was still mooching in Boyrain [sic] with the rest of the perverts.

"I wrote a REFERENCED researched book, that names everyone who's
ideas are integrated within it. Soon my warchest will be large ebough to
to sue the fuck out of you for your lible and defamation, and when that
days comes you can be sure I will publish IT everywhere as well." - Edmo

Will Dockery

Feb 21, 2016, 4:59:17 PM2/21/16
Comprehension is obviously not his strong suit.

:)

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Feb 21, 2016, 8:25:20 PM2/21/16

> In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Sun, 21 Feb 2016 21:56:36 +0000 (UTC),
> Ah! Where are the kooks of yesteryear?
>
> But we have plenty of current kooks to play with. What do you think of
> "Stephan Pickering"? He has kooky opinions and is very, very, very
> illucid.

It's not Ratz? Do tell!

"You have no clue how stupid you sound, do you?" - Edmo in an echo
chamber.

NancyGene

Mar 21, 2023, 3:55:44 PM3/21/23
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 4:18:53 AM UTC, George Dance wrote:
> Long may you live
>
> for K.K.
>
> Long may you live, long after I am gone,
> And may you always keep your thoughts upon
> Our memories; may the good times you and I
> Once had be points of light to journey by,
> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
>
> May each day find you welcoming the dawn
> And living life complete: a day to try,
> To win, to celebrate with your head high.
> Long may you live.
>
> May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
> True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
> And on that future day when you must die,
> Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
> And leave a wish for those who carry on:
> "Long may you live."

Another uninspired, paint by numbers, poem by George Dance. So many cliches'.

Zod

Mar 21, 2023, 4:03:44 PM3/21/23
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:

> Long may you live
>
> for K.K.
>
> Long may you live, long after I am gone,
> And may you always keep your thoughts upon
> Our memories; may the good times you and I
> Once had be points of light to journey by,
> Like fireflies upon a twilit lawn.
>
> May each day find you welcoming the dawn
> And living life complete: a day to try,
> To win, to celebrate with your head high.
> Long may you live.
>
> May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
> True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
> And on that future day when you must die,
> Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
> And leave a wish for those who carry on:
> "Long may you live."

Good one, G.D.... kudos...!!

W-Dockery

Mar 24, 2023, 9:05:13 PM3/24/23
Agreed, NancyGene is doing a great job bringing these poems out of the archives.

General-Zod

Mar 25, 2023, 3:10:34 PM3/25/23
NancyGene wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>
>> Long may you live
>>
>> for K.K.
>>
>> Long may you live, long after I am gone,
>> And may you always keep your thoughts upon
>> Our memories; may the good times you and I
>> Once had be points of light to journey by,
>> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
>>
>> May each day find you welcoming the dawn
>> And living life complete: a day to try,
>> To win, to celebrate with your head high.
>> Long may you live.
>>
>> May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
>> True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
>> And on that future day when you must die,
>> Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
>> And leave a wish for those who carry on:
>> "Long may you live."

> Another
> poem by George Dance

Agree, it is an outstanding work of poetic art...!

W.Dockery

Mar 26, 2023, 4:00:18 PM3/26/23
Agreed and seconded.

Zod

Mar 27, 2023, 5:28:34 PM3/27/23
George Dance wrote:

> Long may you live
>
> for K.K.
>
> Long may you live, long after I am gone,
> And may you always keep your thoughts upon
> Our memories; may the good times you and I
> Once had be points of light to journey by,
> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
>
> May each day find you welcoming the dawn
> And living life complete: a day to try,
> To win, to celebrate with your head high.
> Long may you live.
>
> May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
> True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
> And on that future day when you must die,
> Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
> And leave a wish for those who carry on:
> "Long may you live."

Nancy G. continues to put some well worthy poems on top of the list... kudos, NG...!

Ha ha.

General-Zod

Mar 28, 2023, 4:35:13 PM3/28/23
Will Dockery wrote:
In other words Nancy G's troll gambit blew up in her face.... ha ha.

George Dance

Mar 28, 2023, 5:24:22 PM3/28/23
They're doing their best. If they keep googling the archives for posts by me labelled "c&c," they're bound to find some clunkers to try to embarrass me with. The downside, of course, is they're also going to find some very good poems, like this one. In the process, they're going to turn up evidence of how aapc used to be in a much better time.

I've been reading the thread and enjoying the responses -- not just the praise, but also the criticism, which is all constructive rather than negative. No bleating about how it's "not a poem!", just attention to faulty lines. Which meant I listened to them, and ended up with an even better poem in the end:

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2016/02/long-may-you-live-george-j-dance.html

W.Dockery

Mar 28, 2023, 5:30:18 PM3/28/23
> I've been reading the thread and enjoying the responses -- not just the praise, but also the criticism, which is all constructive rather than negative.. No bleating about how it's "not a poem!", just attention to faulty lines. Which meant I listened to them, and ended up with an even better poem in the end:

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2016/02/long-may-you-live-george-j-dance.html

And even the "clunkers" are worth revisiting, to perhaps refurbish.

:)

General-Zod

Mar 30, 2023, 5:50:13 PM3/30/23
George J Dance wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
> > George J Dance wrote:

> > > I hadn't [...] written any poetry in a while. Thanks for reading.
> >
> > Great to see you back, and back in touch with your Muse, old friend.
> >
> > :)
> Temporarily, anyway; this is the only poem I've written in 10 months, and the next one may well take another 10 or more. I'm glad you saw it; thanks for reading.

Keep the good work coming G.D....!!

Jordan Chasescott

Mar 31, 2023, 2:57:02 AM3/31/23
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> Long may you live
>
> for K.K.
>
> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.

What's are firelies? Are they anything like the lies you, Dumbo Dockery, and Shitpants Sulzbach tell by calling this a good poem? It's vomit fodder.

Will Dockery

Mar 31, 2023, 8:04:44 AM3/31/23
On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 2:57:02 AM UTC-4, fake Jordan Chasescott forged:
> On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:

> > Long may you live
> >
> > for K.K.
> >
> > Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
> What's are firelies

Obviously a typo for "fireflies".

HTH and HAND.

Michael Pendragon

Mar 31, 2023, 12:22:12 PM3/31/23
We aren't trying to find lousy poems by you, George. You really need to stop seeing everyone as your enemy and every post as a personal attack.

We are attempting to reclaim AAPC as a *poetry discussion group* by critiquing and/or commenting on various poems. NancyGene obviously didn't care for your poem. My comments from six years ago were that it had some excellent moments, but needed more work.

If you post your corrected version in this thread, I can compare it with the original and see if I think any of the changes helped.

Since NancyGene finds it clichéd, I could go over the revised version with that in mind -- and hopefully help you to eliminate some.

Will Dockery

Mar 31, 2023, 12:57:55 PM3/31/23
Seconded.

🙂

NancyGene

Mar 31, 2023, 6:38:59 PM3/31/23
George Dance is terminally paranoid.

> We are attempting to reclaim AAPC as a *poetry discussion group* by critiquing and/or commenting on various poems. NancyGene obviously didn't care for your poem. My comments from six years ago were that it had some excellent moments, but needed more work.

The poem is contradictory as well as cliched in a "may the road rise up to meet you" kind of way. We wonder if George Dance read over his poem to see if it actually made sense:
"[...] long after I am gone,
And may you always keep your thoughts upon
Our memories;"

In other words, don't ever forget me, even when I am dead and moldering. Always think of "me."

But then he writes:

"[...]
True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
[...]
Once more may you remember me, and sigh,"

But s/he has been cautioned to never forget the speaker, so how can s/he once more remember if s/he is always thinking of their memories? 'Tis a puzzlement.

> If you post your corrected version in this thread, I can compare it with the original and see if I think any of the changes helped.
>
> Since NancyGene finds it clichéd, I could go over the revised version with that in mind -- and hopefully help you to eliminate some.
And pigs are going to fly across the sky when George Dance accepts help.

Will Dockery

Mar 31, 2023, 6:44:47 PM3/31/23
General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> Zod wrote:

>>> Good one, G.D.... kudos...!!

>> Agreed, NancyGene is doing a great job bringing these poems out of the archives.

> In other words Nancy G's troll gambit blew up in her face.... ha ha.

She'll never admit it, though.

🙂

NancyGene

Mar 31, 2023, 7:09:10 PM3/31/23
We also liked "firelies" better than the correction. Of course, that changes the meaning of the poem.

Will Dockery

Mar 31, 2023, 11:19:14 PM3/31/23
On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 5:24:22 PM UTC-4, George Dance wrote:
It's degenerated to a spelling lame, now.

Michael Pendragon

Mar 31, 2023, 11:36:24 PM3/31/23
Well... when your father, who is supposed to protect, raise, and love you subjects you to corporal punishment every night simply for being a child... how can you really trust anyone?

> > We are attempting to reclaim AAPC as a *poetry discussion group* by critiquing and/or commenting on various poems. NancyGene obviously didn't care for your poem. My comments from six years ago were that it had some excellent moments, but needed more work.
> The poem is contradictory as well as cliched in a "may the road rise up to meet you" kind of way. We wonder if George Dance read over his poem to see if it actually made sense:

"Go n-éirí an bóthar leat," or may you find success upon the road of life.

I love the translation. Yes, it makes no sense -- but that's part of the beauty of it. Wherever you go, may you not have to weary yourself, but may the road you walk upon rise up to provide your every step before your foot is raised. It also implies that as you ascend to greater heights, may the road you walk on rise with you so that you might never fall. I'm sure there are many other ways of interpreting it as well.

That's one of the wonderful things about poetic language: it can have meanings that seem obvious when we read them, but that make no literal sense when examined in the light of reason.

As to its being clichéd, I am not opposed to some cliché in poetry. Cliché can serve to lull the reader into a comforting sense of familiarity -- only to shake them out of it with an original phrase or thought. Cliché only becomes problematic when it is the overriding character of the poem.

There are only so many words in the English language -- estimates vary, but in the area of 600,000 seems to be the generally accepted range -- of which most people are only familiar with about 40,000 (or, as in the case of our resident Donkey... 40). There are only so many ways to combine the that make sense -- just as there are only so many similes and metaphors one can make when observing a rose that readers can recognize and respond to.

Solomon taught that "there is no new thing under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9), and this applies to language as well. What matters is that the words speak to readers -- that they express some thought or feeling the reader may have had, but had not been able to put into words.

I particularly like this passage in George's poem -- although it is both clichéd and logically flawed:

"...may the good times you and I
Once had be points of light to journey by,
Like firelies upon a twilit lawn."

But while the comparison to fireflies might be a cliché, the idea of joyful memories as points of light to journey by is not. In combining an original sentiment with a clichéd comparison, George has tempered the line to make its more original idea appear familiar, and therefore, agreeable to the reader.

Logically, one would be hard pressed to journey with the flickering, and constantly moving, lights of fireflies as his guideposts -- but logic is not of import here. Like the Irish blessing, "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat," the line hints at many things that supersede and transcend logic. For instance, one's memories aren't set down immovably on a scroll. Memories are fluid, and changing, and often flicker up for a moment only to immediately fade away. In this sense the simile works perfectly -- and the speaker's wish that his lover navigate his/her life by such transient lights implies living with a feeling of free spiritedness -- of following the happy memories over and above a more rational, steady course.

> "[...] long after I am gone,
> And may you always keep your thoughts upon
> Our memories;"
> In other words, don't ever forget me, even when I am dead and moldering. Always think of "me."
>
> But then he writes:
>
> "[...]
> True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
> [...]
> Once more may you remember me, and sigh,"
> But s/he has been cautioned to never forget the speaker, so how can s/he once more remember if s/he is always thinking of their memories? 'Tis a puzzlement.

That's an excellent point. Frankly, "Once more" is filler that serves no other purpose than to keep the meter. Filler is what turns a potentially great poetic idea into an amateurish piece of twaddle. Poe has said that every word in a poem should contribute to its intended effect or tone. No word should ever be superfluous -- but should compromise the poem were it to be removed.

99.999 of rhymed-metered poems written by amateurs are swimming in filler. And, along with gratuitous inversion, it is what makes experienced poets cringe at the thought of reading an amateur's work.

As you've noted, George's use of filler, here, has compromised the consistency of his poem's text. However, it is only a minor compromise. "May you always keep your thoughts upon our memories" needn't be taken quite so literally. "Always" could mean, for instance, at some point in each passing day.

> > If you post your corrected version in this thread, I can compare it with the original and see if I think any of the changes helped.
> >
> > Since NancyGene finds it clichéd, I could go over the revised version with that in mind -- and hopefully help you to eliminate some.
> And pigs are going to fly across the sky when George Dance accepts help.

He says that he's made some changes based upon previous comments that the poem had received, so perhaps he might do so again. The third stanza, in particular, was in need of a major overhaul.

And, while my opinion of George as a decent human being has been plummeting steadily ever since his defense of Pickles and NAMBLA, I still maintain that he is a highly skilled poet, and that his best poems can be perfect examples of their form. My only complaint with them is that their messages are invariably commonplace and middlebrow -- and that his Muse favors intellect over emotion. But that's a personal call based on my prejudices and preferences, and not necessarily a put-down of his work.

Will Dockery

Apr 1, 2023, 1:00:28 AM4/1/23
I doubt that George expected you to admit it.

Conley Brothers

Apr 1, 2023, 3:20:00 AM4/1/23
So obvious you missed it while calling it one of the most perfect poems you've seen.

Will Dockery slurped:
I've read this one over and again... perhaps one of the most perfect poems I've ever seen, and I'm including the giants in on that, such as Frost, Poe and Rimbaud.

Will Dockery

Apr 1, 2023, 11:57:38 AM4/1/23
On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 3:20:00 AM UTC-4, Conley Brothers wrote:
> On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 8:04:44 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > What's are firelies
> > Obviously a typo for "fireflies".
> So obvious you missed it while calling it one of the most perfect poems you've seen.
>
> Will Dockery:
> I've read this one over and again... perhaps one of the most perfect poems I've ever seen, and I'm including the giants in on that, such as Frost, Poe and Rimbaud.

Yes, it is well known by now that my eyesight is not the best, and I read it as "fireflies", as most people probably would.

HTH and HAND.

Will Dockery

Apr 1, 2023, 12:36:22 PM4/1/23
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:53:13 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 3:16:17 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> > On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> > > Long may you live
> > >
> > > for K.K.
> > >
> > > Long may you live, long after I am gone,
> > > And may you always keep your thoughts upon
> > > Our memories; may the good times you and I
> > > Once had be points of light to journey by,
> > > Like fireflies upon a twilit lawn.
> > >
> > > May each day find you welcoming the dawn
> > > And living life complete: a day to try,
> > > To win, to celebrate with your head high.
> > > Long may you live.
> > >
> > > May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
> > > True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
> > > And on that future day when you must die,
> > > Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
> > > And leave a wish for those who carry on:
> > > "Long may you live."
> >
> > Gadzooks.
> >
> > I've read this one over and again... perhaps one of the most perfect poems I've ever seen, and I'm including the giants in on that, such as Frost, Poe and Rimbaud.
> >
> Thank you, Will. With your encouragement (and Corey's, Rachel's, and Michael's), I'm encouraged enough to blog it, which I'll do today with the 3 revisions that have come up so far.
> > Bravo, my man, but don't stop here, try to bat a few mover out while the pen is hot, even if they don't match up, you never know when you'll hit a double, or even a grand slam, eh?
> >
> Thanks for the encouragement. I see you're going through a prolific period, which is good. I'm out of ideas, but I'll look for some, and try to write another.

Seven years later, and the inspiration still comes when the time is right.

🙂

Conley Brothers

Apr 1, 2023, 2:12:23 PM4/1/23
So your eyes were failing 7 years ago? Reading glasses are a buck at the dollar store. It's very queer how you blame your fuckup on bad eyesight yet you catch those missing apostrophes and typos from those you see as your foes then beat them to death with your spelling lame posts with the help of George Shitpants Sulzbach and Isaac "I'm a communist but live on a trust fund from my daddy" Chase.

Will Dockery

Apr 1, 2023, 2:46:10 PM4/1/23
I've worn glasses for most of my life, fake Conley.

If you were a real Conley Brother you'd know that.

HTH and HAND.

Michael Pendragon

Apr 1, 2023, 3:55:23 PM4/1/23
It isn't about your eyesight, Donkey.

Since you're obviously slower than snail shit on a snowy day in January, allow me to post the following recap:

MMP: We aren't trying to find lousy poems

WILL DONKEY: I doubt that George expected you to admit it.

WILL DONKEY (same thread, 7 years earlier): I've read this one over and again... perhaps one of the most perfect poems I've ever seen, and I'm including the giants in on that, such as Frost, Poe and Rimbaud.

It should be obvious, even to a Donkey, that your opinion of George's poem appears to have become, shall we say "less enthusiastic," over the years.

W-Dockery

Apr 1, 2023, 4:05:14 PM4/1/23
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> It isn't about your eyesight

Since it all comes down to a spelling lame for an error I didn't see (or ignored), it seems to be about my eyesight, Pendragon.

HTH and HAND.

Zod

Apr 1, 2023, 4:27:30 PM4/1/23
On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 11:57:38 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 3:20:00 AM UTC-4, Conley Brothers wrote:
> > On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 8:04:44 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > > On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 2:57:02 AM UTC-4, fake Jordan Chasescott forged:

> > > Obviously a typo for "fireflies".
> > So obvious you missed it while calling it one of the most perfect poems you've seen.
> >
> > Will Dockery:
> > I've read this one over and again... perhaps one of the most perfect poems I've ever seen, and I'm including the giants in on that, such as Frost, Poe and Rimbaud.
> Yes, it is well known by now that my eyesight is not the best, and I read it as "fireflies", as most people probably would.
>
> HTH and HAND.

Yes they make a big issue out of spelling errors EXCEPT when they make them....ha ha.

Michael Pendragon

Apr 1, 2023, 7:15:07 PM4/1/23
It has *nothing* to do with the spelling error, you jackass.

Seven years ago you called George's poem so perfect as to be on a par with the poetry of Frost, Poe, and Rimbaud.

You recently claimed that NancyGene was bumping lousy poetry (of which this poem was an example) in an attempt to embarrass George.

You can't have it both ways: either the poem is a masterpiece or it's so lousy that George would be embarrassed by having it bumped to peoples' attention.

ME

Apr 1, 2023, 7:59:16 PM4/1/23
BWAHAHAHA.
Deny much, you egotistical, lying piece of useless garbage.

You continue to be the biggest (and fattest) running joke on aapc.

You are a total waste of time and oxygen.

Will Dockery

Apr 1, 2023, 8:02:00 PM4/1/23
On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 2:57:02 AM UTC-4, Jordan Chasescott wrote:
> On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 11:18:53 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:

> > Long may you live
> >
> > for K.K.
> >
> > Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
> What's are firelies
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like I said, it has everything to do with a spelling lame.

Conley Brothers

Apr 2, 2023, 1:08:33 AM4/2/23
On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 2:46:10 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> I've worn glasses for most of my life, fake Conley.

Yet you rarely wear them. If you did wear them it's time to spend another dollar and get stronger ones since to clearly fucked up when you slurped the poem as perfect. You certainly didn't wear glasses
whenever you forced your drunk self onto the open mic stages and read the words off paper. How is it you can read hastily scribbled lyrics off a crumbled up piece of paper, in a smoky dark bar without glasses but can't read them off your computer screen? Did you and Brother Dave not clean the splooge off it after your daily jerk sessions?

Conley Brothers

Apr 2, 2023, 1:17:42 AM4/2/23
Yet it's you and Dumbo Dockery who go on for months about one single spelling lame. The Dunne/Donne typo went on for over 6 months between you two unemployed shitheads. You've started new threads over typos, so don't preach at people over making a big deal about typos. You two, plus Jerkoff Jordy have perpetuated the spelling lames for months at a time.
Dockery is lying his eyes being at fault for his fuckups yet those same eyes catch the typos of those he sees as his enemy, otherwise known as the people who see his poetry as the shit it is.

W-Dockery

Apr 2, 2023, 1:25:13 AM4/2/23
On Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 1:08:33 AM UTC-4, fake Conley Brothers forged:
> On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 2:46:10 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > I've worn glasses for most of my life, fake Conley.
> Yet you rarely wear them

Not really correct, but how would you know, anyhow, fake Conley?

🙂

Will Dockery

Apr 2, 2023, 1:36:36 AM4/2/23
On Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 1:17:42 AM UTC-4, fake Conley Brothers forged:

> > > Yes, it is well known by now that my eyesight is not the best, and I read it as "fireflies", as most people probably would.
> > >
> > > HTH and HAND.
> > Yes they make a big issue out of spelling errors EXCEPT when they make them....ha ha.
> Yet it's you

Wrong again, fake Conley.

Now fuck off, impostor troll.

🙂

Michael Pendragon

Apr 2, 2023, 3:30:29 AM4/2/23
Face it, Donkey.

"Fake" Conley's got your m.o. down to a tee.

We all have.

We all see you for the childish, sub-moronic, illiterate, lying, hypocritical p.o.s. that you are.

As PJR would (and has) said to you: die of cancer.

Will Dockery

Apr 2, 2023, 7:52:30 AM4/2/23
On Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 3:30:29 AM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 1:36:36 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Yet it's you
> > Wrong again, fake Conley.
> >
> > Now fuck off, impostor troll.
> Face it, Donkey.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Childish monkey talk noted. ^^^^^^^^^

> "Fake" Conley's got your m.o. down to a tee.

As expected, you defend and support any fellow trolls.

> We all have.
>
> We all see you for the childish

As if your name-calling and malicious personal attacks are somehow mature, Pendragon?

, sub-moronic, illiterate,

> lying, hypocritical p.o.s.

Look who's talking.

🙂

that you are.

> As PJR would (and has) said to you: die of cancer.

Again, like I said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Will Dockery

Apr 2, 2023, 8:17:53 AM4/2/23
On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 7:59:16 PM UTC-4, ME wrote:
> On Saturday, 1 April 2023 at 16:05:14 UTC-4, W-Dockery wrote:
> > Michael Pendragon wrote:
> > >
> > > It isn't about your eyesight
> > Since it all comes down to a spelling lame for an error I didn't see (or ignored), it seems to be about my eyesight, Pendragon.
> >
> > HTH and HAND.
> BWAHAHAHA.
> Deny much,

Not at all, simply correcting the lies and misrepresentations and setting the record straight.

you egotistical, lying piece of useless garbage.

> You continue to be the biggest (and fattest) running joke on aapc.
>
> You are a total waste of time and oxygen.

Look who's talking.

🙂

George Dance

Apr 2, 2023, 8:45:12 AM4/2/23
On Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 3:30:29 AM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 1:36:36 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Yet it's you
> > Wrong again, fake Conley.
> >
> > Now fuck off, impostor troll.
> Face it, Donkey.
>
> "Fake" Conley's got your m.o. down to a tee.

Why, you and the fake "Conley Brothers" troll agree! What a coincidence!

Is "Conley Brothers another of your "spoof" sock accounts?

> We all have.

A new term for the Monkey Lexicon:

"All" - The Monkey, his 4 flunkies, and this many many sock accounts.

George Dance

Apr 2, 2023, 8:58:15 AM4/2/23
Now, now, Will. As Michael Monkey explained, fake "Conley Brothers" et al are not "trolls" -- they're "spoof" accounts, and he thinks they're funny. You just don't have a sense of humor.

> > We all have.
> >
> > We all see you for the childish
> As if your name-calling and malicious personal attacks are somehow mature, Pendragon?
> , sub-moronic, illiterate,
>
> > lying, hypocritical p.o.s.
> Look who's talking.
>
> 🙂
> that you are.
> >
> > As PJR would (and has) said to you: die of cancer.
> Again, like I said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Monkey's got you there, Will. It's not just "all" of his flunkies and sock accounts who don't like you. "Piggy John-John Ross" doesn't like you, either! So there! I guess there's nothing left for you to do but leave the group in shame.

Will Dockery

Apr 2, 2023, 9:54:39 AM4/2/23
Exactly.

Will Dockery

Apr 2, 2023, 8:40:31 PM4/2/23
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:20:41 PM UTC-5, George Dance wrote:
> On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-5, gen...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> I see you're still forcing your pointless drivel
> > into ten syllables per line, syllable counter!
> >
> Pointless drivel, indeed. And after I even included an image just for you, imagist imbecile.
>
> > "fireflies" learn to proofread.
>
> Already found and fixed; but thank you for pointing that out.

And so it goes.

🙂

W.Dockery

Apr 3, 2023, 5:30:21 AM4/3/23
George Dance wrote:

> General-Zod wrote:
>> Will Dockery wrote:

>> > Agreed, NancyGene is doing a great job bringing these poems out of the archives.
>> In other words Nancy G's troll gambit blew up in her face.... ha ha.

> They're doing their best. If they keep googling the archives for posts by me labelled "c&c," they're bound to find some clunkers to try to embarrass me with. The downside, of course, is they're also going to find some very good poems, like this one. In the process, they're going to turn up evidence of how aapc used to be in a much better time.

> I've been reading the thread and enjoying the responses -- not just the praise, but also the criticism, which is all constructive rather than negative.. No bleating about how it's "not a poem!", just attention to faulty lines. Which meant I listened to them, and ended up with an even better poem in the end:

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2016/02/long-may-you-live-george-j-dance.html

Good morning George, again, well put.

W-Dockery

Apr 3, 2023, 6:40:14 AM4/3/23
Zod wrote:

> George Dance wrote:
>>
>> Long may you live
>>
>> for K.K.
>>
>> Long may you live, long after I am gone,
>> And may you always keep your thoughts upon
>> Our memories; may the good times you and I
>> Once had be points of light to journey by,
>> Like firelies upon a twilit lawn.
>>
>> May each day find you welcoming the dawn
>> And living life complete: a day to try,
>> To win, to celebrate with your head high.
>> Long may you live.
>>
>> May you walk in righteousness through Babylon,
>> True to yourself, not anybody's pawn;
>> And on that future day when you must die,
>> Once more may you remember me, and sigh,
>> And leave a wish for those who carry on:
>> "Long may you live."

> Nancy G. continues to put some well worthy poems on top of the list... kudos, NG...!

> Ha ha.

Good morning, again, agreed.

🙂

Michael Pendragon

Apr 3, 2023, 12:17:34 PM4/3/23
No, Mr. Paranoia. My spoof accounts use obvious parody names and funny pictures for avatars.

> > We all have.
> >

> A new term for the Monkey Lexicon:
>
> "All" - The Monkey, his 4 flunkies, and this many many sock accounts.

You're stuttering, George.

(And probably drooling as well.)

Michael Pendragon

Apr 3, 2023, 12:20:00 PM4/3/23
You seem confused, George. "Piggy John-John Ross" was one of my spoof accounts. Peter J. Ross is a real (former?) AAPC member who was known for telling those he disliked to "die of cancer."

HtH & HAND

W.Dockery

Apr 3, 2023, 12:35:14 PM4/3/23
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 8:58:15 AM UTC-4, George Dance wrote:
No, he doesn't.

🙂

Michael Pendragon

Apr 3, 2023, 2:32:05 PM4/3/23
No? Explain how my sock account, "Piggy John-John Ross," is not included among "all of (my) flunkies and sock accounts."

You're even more confused than George (and everyone else on the planet).

W.Dockery

Apr 3, 2023, 3:05:13 PM4/3/23
Your socks don't really interest me, Pendragon.

🙂

General-Zod

Apr 3, 2023, 4:30:18 PM4/3/23
Will Dockery wrote:

> General-Zod wrote:

>> Will Dockery wrote:

>>> Agreed, NancyGene is doing a great job bringing these poems out of the archives.

>> In other words Nancy G's troll gambit blew up in her face.... ha ha.

> She'll never admit it, though.

> 🙂

Nancy G. is probably actually too stupid to even know what she's doing... ha ha.

George Dance

Apr 3, 2023, 5:26:49 PM4/3/23
Not one that I've seen. I've seen it used only as the childish nickname you made up to call Peter J Ross. So I suspect you're bullshitting again.

> Peter J. Ross is a real (former?) AAPC member who was known for telling those he disliked to "die of cancer."

He spelled it "Peter J Ross", BTW. But of course you wouldn't know how to spell his name; you were too busy calling him "Piggy John-John Ross."

> HtH & HAND

George Dance

Apr 3, 2023, 5:31:41 PM4/3/23
That's easy enough. "Piggy John-John Ross" wasn't a "sock account", just your childish nickname for Mr. Ross.

> You're even more confused than George (and everyone else on the planet).

Thank you for letting us know that you think "everyone else on the planet" but you is confused.

ME

Apr 3, 2023, 5:37:56 PM4/3/23
Dance, as usual you did understand what was being said. You are soooooi confused.
But that’s nothing unusual.

W-Dockery

Apr 3, 2023, 5:50:13 PM4/3/23
Well put, George.

Michael Pendragon

Apr 3, 2023, 10:56:37 PM4/3/23
Why do you lie so much, George?

You've not only seen Piggy John-John's posts, you've participated in his threads:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/sfBm0q7n_kU/m/qD6SdveSAwAJ

Michael Pendragon

Apr 3, 2023, 10:59:09 PM4/3/23
Why do you lie so much, George?

Why do you think that one cannot prove you wrong with a single search of the archives?

I'm starting to believe that you truly are the dunce everyone has always accused you being.

Here is a thread by Piggy John-John Ross:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/sfBm0q7n_kU/m/qD6SdveSAwAJ

W.Dockery

Apr 4, 2023, 1:20:14 AM4/4/23
>> > You're even more confused than George (and everyone else on the planet)..
>> Thank you for letting us know that you think "everyone else on the planet" but you is confused.

> soooooi confused

You are?

That's nothing new for you, ME.

🙂

Will Dockery

Apr 4, 2023, 6:24:20 PM4/4/23
On Monday, April 3, 2023 at 5:26:49 PM UTC-4, George Dance wrote:

> > > Now, now, Will. As Michael Monkey explained, fake "Conley Brothers" et al are not "trolls" -- they're "spoof" accounts, and he thinks they're funny. You just don't have a sense of humor.

> > > The Monkey's got you there, Will. It's not just "all" of his flunkies and sock accounts who don't like you. "Piggy John-John Ross" doesn't like you, either! So there! I guess there's nothing left for you to do but leave the group in shame.
> > >
> > You seem confused, George. "Piggy John-John Ross" was one of my spoof accounts.
> Not one that I've seen. I've seen it used only as the childish nickname you made up to call Peter J Ross. So I suspect you're bullshitting again.
> > Peter J. Ross is a real (former?) AAPC member who was known for telling those he disliked to "die of cancer."
> He spelled it "Peter J Ross", BTW. But of course you wouldn't know how to spell his name; you were too busy calling him "Piggy John-John Ross."
>
> > HtH & HAND

Good afternoon George, you nailed it.

:)

George Dance

Apr 5, 2023, 10:39:04 AM4/5/23
On Monday, April 3, 2023 at 10:59:09 PM UTC-4, Michael Monkey aka "Michael Pendragon" wrote:
> On Monday, April 3, 2023 at 5:31:41 PM UTC-4, George Dance wrote:
I did look in the the archives myself, of course. But let's see what you can do.

> I'm starting to believe that you truly are the dunce everyone has always accused you being.

Michael, you do have a *lot* of sock accounts, but they aren't exactly "everyone" on the group.
It's funny then that the name "Piggy John-John Ross" doesn't appear anywhere in that thread. But you may have other examples, so I'll give you another chance before concluding that you lied again.

Michael Pendragon

Apr 5, 2023, 12:53:55 PM4/5/23
Don't be such a dunce, George.

Look at the name of the sock account that posted it.

George Dance

Apr 5, 2023, 1:26:07 PM4/5/23
On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 12:53:55 PM UTC-4, Michael Monkey aka "Michael Pendragon" wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 10:39:04 AM UTC-4, George Dance wrote:
IOW, Michael, you have no other examples.

> Look at the name of the sock account that posted it.

All righty then, let's do that:
<quote>
Klap Trap c&c
Subscribe
piggyj...@gmail.com's profile photo
piggyj...@gmail.com
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01:15 PM
Klap Trap -------- Oops ama has'sum spee'n poo poo imi didee; oops ama has'sum stinki
</q>

Oh, look: there's no name at all, just a (truncated and therefore unreadable) account name. And that's your only evidence for calling me a "liar" again.

You're such a stupid shit-slinging monkey, Michael.

It is loading more messages.