UPDATE: On the Late, Unlamented Stephen Pickering

Skip to the first unread message

Michael Pendragon

16 Apr 2021, 12:23:5816/04/2021
SCI-FI Weekly, an indie publication from 1967 provides the following information on our former resident nut-job:

"The latest word on Stephen Pickering, perhaps one of the most bizarre people ever to explode onto the sf fan scene, indicates that worthwhile results have come about because of his thefts from the home of Forrest Ackerman, last December.

"In a three page mimeographed letter, Pickering has set down what he calls a 'History of Mr. Pickering's Past and Present Life.' The details are at times sordid, in other places amazing, and in some ways even unbelievable. However, Forrest Ackerman has prefaced Pickering's 'Explanation' with a full page explanation, 'For Those Who Got In Late.' Ackerman explains the details of Pickering's thefts, and subsequent actions in fandom. ... Pickering in his two page explanation, attempts to set down some explanation of why he acted as he did. This reader finds his home and personal life perhaps the most sordid I have any knowledge of in fandom. Pickering, recognizing this states, '...the December affair only added to a growing mental instability.'

"'So, by March, I began taking psychiatric counseling. On April 1st, I became a volunteer patient at Camerillo State Hospital.'

"... There is much more to Pickering's statement. Copies can be attained for a stamped s.a.e..."

And so it goes...

Edward Rochester Esq.

16 Apr 2021, 13:13:4816/04/2021
A graduate of Dockery High

Will Dockery

16 Apr 2021, 15:51:5916/04/2021
On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 12:23:58 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:

Old news but Interesting.

Michael Pendragon

16 Apr 2021, 16:00:5416/04/2021
On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 3:51:59 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 12:23:58 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > SCI-FI Weekly, an indie publication from 1967 provides the following information on our former resident nut-job:
> >
> > "The latest word on Stephen Pickering, perhaps one of the most bizarre people ever to explode onto the sf fan scene, indicates that worthwhile results have come about because of his thefts from the home of Forrest Ackerman, last December.
> >
> > "In a three page mimeographed letter, Pickering has set down what he calls a 'v.' The details are at times sordid, in other places amazing, and in some ways even unbelievable. However, Forrest Ackerman has prefaced Pickering's 'Explanation' with a full page explanation, 'For Those Who Got In Late.' Ackerman explains the details of Pickering's thefts, and subsequent actions in fandom. ... Pickering in his two page explanation, attempts to set down some explanation of why he acted as he did. This reader finds his home and personal life perhaps the most sordid I have any knowledge of in fandom. Pickering, recognizing this states, '...the December affair only added to a growing mental instability.'
> >
> > "'So, by March, I began taking psychiatric counseling. On April 1st, I became a volunteer patient at Camerillo State Hospital.'
> >
> > "... There is much more to Pickering's statement. Copies can be attained for a stamped s.a.e..."
> >
> > And so it goes...
> Old news but Interesting.

It's new here, Will.

Pick had always denied both that he stole from Forry, and that he committed himself to psychiatric hospital.

Here we have an admission of both from Pick's own published statements.

Too bad I haven't yet found a copy of the "History of Mr. Pickering's Past and Present Life." Judging by the description ("...his home and personal life perhaps the most sordid..."), he must have been telling some real whoppers.

W-Dockery

16 Apr 2021, 16:11:0516/04/2021
Ökay, I knew the story already, so figured it had come out here.

I knew FJA back in the early 1970s, during his stint editing the Perry Rhodan series, around the time ordered The Bob Dylan book by Stephan Pickering, and read the story back then, around 1974.

Conley Brothers

16 Apr 2021, 22:38:3816/04/2021
On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 4:11:05 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Ökay, I knew the story already, so figured it had come out here.
>
> I knew FJA back in the early 1970s, during his stint editing the Perry Rhodan series, around the time ordered The Bob Dylan book by Stephan Pickering, and read the story back then, around 1974.

No, you didn't.

No, you didn't.

No, you didn't.

Michael Pendragon

16 Apr 2021, 23:39:1916/04/2021
Lie noted.

FJA lived in California. Will's spent his entire life in Georgia (with brief forays into a couple of the adjoining states).

This sounds like it's going to be another Zu-Bolton farce. Will probably knew of FJA in the early 70s -- and read some of the Perry Rhodan comic books. But Forry, like Zu-Bolton, is conveniently dead -- so we'll never be able to prove that Will didn't know them.

Will Dockery

17 Apr 2021, 01:07:4217/04/2021
On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 10:38:38 PM UTC-4, Conley Brothers wrote:
Yes, I did, impostor troll.

:)

Will Dockery

17 Apr 2021, 01:19:5417/04/2021
On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 11:39:19 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 4:11:05 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > > Ökay, I knew the story already, so figured it had come out here.
> > >
> > > I knew FJA back in the early 1970s, during his stint editing the Perry Rhodan series, around the time ordered The Bob Dylan book by Stephan Pickering, and read the story back then, around 1974.
>
> FJA lived in California. Will's spent his entire life in Georgia (with brief forays into a couple of the adjoining states).

We corresponded through snail mail, and Ackerman even published a couple of my letters in the Perry Rhodan letters section.

I've written about this before here.

> This sounds like it's going to be another Zu-Bolton farce. Will probably knew of FJA in the early 70s -- and read some of the Perry Rhodan comic books. But Forry, like Zu-Bolton, is conveniently dead -- so we'll never be able to prove that Will didn't know them.

Again, I had letters published that were written to Ackerman, and I have posted about that here.

I'll repost those for you.

W.Dockery

17 Apr 2021, 03:14:0417/04/2021
Here's published evidence of my cotresponce wit Forrest J. Ackerman in 1973:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/PpGQetxjQfY/m/Zh4enn-yAgAJ

General Zod wrote:

> I saw it on the Facebook poetry page....

Perry Rhodan #43... A letter from Wm. Dockery on page 153. I was 12 or 13 years old back then. Just found this at Book Nook, which has a huge collection of these. :) — at Book Nook.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53026411_10157368056194363_2421294740902248448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=eb6a8f0ebae30ada4f7c1a02db9a78ea&oe=5CDDD6B6

Stephan Pickering commented:

"The English translations were actually quite faithful to the German originals...Every week since 8 September 1961 Perry Rhodan has appeared in Germany. By February 2019 = 3000 booklet novels, 400 paperbacks, 200 hardbacks. Ace Books 1969-1978 published translations of #s 1-126. Wendayne Ackerman z"l self-published translations of 127-144 from 1978-1979. Even now, they are still fun to read...and have had an enormous influence on Europe's sci-fi writers...One will note the cover

blurbs are by Forry Ackerman z"l..."

And so it goes.

Michael Pendragon

17 Apr 2021, 11:15:4517/04/2021
You wrote fan letters to a magazine he edited. You did not *know* him personally (which is what your original statement heavily implied).

Zod

17 Apr 2021, 11:31:1417/04/2021
On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 3:14:04 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
Cool, you also worked on the fanzine this fellow put out as well am I correct, Doc...?

Will Dockery

18 Apr 2021, 05:13:1718/04/2021
On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 11:15:45 AM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 3:14:04 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote::
>
> > Here's published evidence of my corresponce wit Forrest J. Ackerman in 1973:
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/PpGQetxjQfY/m/Zh4enn-yAgAJ
> >
> > General Zod wrote:
> > >
> > > I saw it on the Facebook poetry page....
> >
> > Perry Rhodan #43... A letter from Wm. Dockery on page 153. I was 12 or 13 years old back then. Just found this at Book Nook, which has a huge collection of these. :) — at Book Nook.
> >
> > https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53026411_10157368056194363_2421294740902248448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=eb6a8f0ebae30ada4f7c1a02db9a78ea&oe=5CDDD6B6
> >
> > Stephan Pickering commented:
> >
> > "The English translations were actually quite faithful to the German originals...Every week since 8 September 1961 Perry Rhodan has appeared in Germany. By February 2019 = 3000 booklet novels, 400 paperbacks, 200 hardbacks. Ace Books 1969-1978 published translations of #s 1-126. Wendayne Ackerman z"l self-published translations of 127-144 from 1978-1979. Even now, they are still fun to read...and have had an enormous influence on Europe's sci-fi writers...One will note the cover
> >
> > blurbs are by Forry Ackerman z"l..."
> >
> > And so it goes.
> You wrote fan letters to a magazine he edited. You did not *know* him personally

He wrote to me personally several times, but I understand that he liked to communicate wth his young fans so it wasn;t just me.

In face, that seems to be how Stephan Pickering became so closely involved with FJA.

Corrected link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22perry+rhodan%22+%2243%22+%22ace%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwig4MjztIfwAhUC3VMKHSPVBNsQ2-cCegQIABAA

W.Dockery

19 Apr 2021, 08:32:0419/04/2021
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> SCI-FI Weekly, an indie publication

"That's none of your business..." -Michael Pendragon

Michael Pendragon

19 Apr 2021, 09:07:5919/04/2021
It's a published, public document, Will.

Zod

19 Apr 2021, 10:31:0119/04/2021
On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 8:32:04 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
You nailed that hypocrite...