Happy Equinox! Summer 2010 Travel Plans...

1 view

Bob the Wheelbuilder

Mar 20, 2010, 8:55:07 PM3/20/10
to Alaska Randonneurs
I hear there may be something of a price war on travel to Alaska this
summer. I don't know if this will apply to flights from Salt Lake (my
closest nonstop airport to Anchorage), but I've got my fingers
crossed. I like kayak.com for flight prices. Right now, they quote a
$616 price for a flight in late June from SLC to Anchorage and back.
Does anyone else have plans to travel from the lower 48 (or 49, don't
mean to forget Hawaiians) for Alaskan brevets this year? Any travel
tips or deals you'd like to share would be appreciated.

I've completed 300 and 400 kilometer brevets this year and hope to do
the 600K in Alaska in June. What could be cooler than riding during
the Summer Solstice way up north? I have a friend in Anchorage who
will probably let me stay with him. Are there plans to shuttle to the
start/finish for the 600K?

Thanks

Kevin Turinsky

Mar 21, 2010, 12:56:53 AM3/21/10
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

C'mon up! Our 600K is a beautiful course. That price seems like a
pretty good one from SLC for June. I know there's been some articles
in the local papers (http://www.adn.com/2010/02/04/1125224/airlines-plan-more-summer-flights.html
)

You should also post this question on Randon List (http://groups.google.com/group/randon/topics
) to see if you can hook up w/ any other travellers to come up with.

Unfortunately we don't have a shuttle, but as the date nears, there
could be some coordination w/ other riders going up from Anchorage.

And, be sure to join the Alaska Randonneurs' Facebook Page. You'll be
sure to get updates then.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kevin Turinsky
907-317-6030

> --
> .

Sam Huffman

Mar 21, 2010, 1:23:10 AM3/21/10
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
One comment -- my brother found it extremely expensive to bring his
bike up on delta last year -- I *think* it was $150 each way. For that
price you could have competitive cyclist ship up a nice bike for a
week rental.

Alaska only charged me $25 each way. Don't forget to add that cost to
the ticket price.

The AK 600 was an amazing experience..

Sam

Bob the Wheelbuilder

Mar 21, 2010, 11:08:38 PM3/21/10
to Alaska Randonneurs
I found another good rate from Las Vegas. Not nonstop, but pretty
close: $542 with layovers of only about a hour each way through
Seattle on Alaska.

I have an S&S coupled bike, so hopefully it won't cost an arm and a
leg to get my bike up there. I've heard Alaska Airlines is kinder
than most when it comes to bringing a bike.

Decisions, decisions......

Buzz Scher

Mar 22, 2010, 3:16:28 PM3/22/10
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
FYI

My family (3 total) just got back from a week of bicycling in se Arizona; we each took a bike and traveled on Alaska Airlines. Based on my pre-trip interpretation of the baggage rules I had expected the cost to be $100 per bike, each way. However, the airlines actually charged us only $25 per bike on the trip down (each bike box weighted less than 50 pounds, which they checked), and $50 per bike on the return (and they did not weight any of the boxes).

Buzz Scher

Kevin Turinsky

Apr 12, 2010, 8:25:25 PM4/12/10
to Alaska Randonneurs
Just remember, Bob...

In the Big Picture, it's a small price to pay!

Hope to see you up here for one of our rides!! Let me know if you need
any additional logistics help.

Kevin

On Mar 22, 11:16 am, Buzz Scher <bsc...@rmconsult.com> wrote:
> FYI
>
> My family (3 total) just got back from a week of bicycling in se Arizona; we each took a bike and traveled on Alaska Airlines. Based on my pre-trip interpretation of the baggage rules I had expected the cost to be $100 per bike, each way. However, the airlines actually charged us only $25 per bike on the trip down (each bike box weighted less than 50 pounds, which they checked), and $50 per bike on the return (and they did not weight any of the boxes).
>
> Buzz Scher

Bob the Wheelbuilder

May 16, 2010, 11:13:06 PM5/16/10
to Alaska Randonneurs
I'm coming up for the 600K, just bought my tickets through Alaska
Airlines.

The price has roller coastered up and down, but today a roundtrip from
Las Vegas was $541.50 including fees. Not bad.

Kevin Turinsky

May 19, 2010, 12:35:15 AM5/19/10
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
Great news!! Nice price! Congrats!!