On the Matter of Community Protest at the Federal University Otuoke {RE: 'Our VC is a thief': Irate youths demand sack of Otuoke Federal Varsity VC, Prof. Mobolaji Aluko

閲覧: 3 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Mobolaji Aluko

未読、
2014/09/19 16:40:372014/09/19
To: naijaintellects、USAAfrica Dialogue、africanw...@googlegroups.com、PR Nigeria、nigerianw...@yahoogroups.com、Niger...@yahoogroups.com、nigerian...@yahoogroups.com、talk...@yahoogroups.com、UmuAn...@yahoogroups.com、Anambr...@yahoogroups.com、Raay...@yahoogroups.com、NaijaP...@yahoogroups.com、Yan Arewa、ekiti ekitigroups、OmoOdua、Igietseme, Joseph (CDC/CCID/NCPDCID)、Joseph Igietseme

JUI (Joe U. Igietseme):

Thanks for your intervention - much appreciated...

Such protests are part of the university terrain in Nigeria.....I respond to the protests with explanations, but the extraneous accusations - thievery, Yoruba favoritism, etcheram, ad nauseum -  I don't let them bother me; because they are invariably part of the arsenal to get what they REALLY want.  After all, it happens even in the Nigerian cyber-waves all the time - with some members of the Lunatic Fringe around here like Emenike and Oderaigbo editorializing and licking their chops over the news!

The press also sensationalizes - and sometimes hints that they could be more favorable to us for a consideration, which I always quickly dismiss as needless...I am NOT campaigning for anything, I always tell them! :-)

It is somewhat old news - the actual event of demonstrations at the University reported occurred  two weeks ago now, on September 4 to be exact - but I owe some explanation to "My People" reading this:

1.  With respect to the MOU with the Otuoke Community, negotiations have been continuing for over a year, but we at first reminded them that we are not like Shell - even though most universities are viewed like oil wells by their local communities -  and that any MOU must be within the LAWS that govern universities, as we are under the NUC and the Federal Ministry of Education.  So, set numbers of staff to be employed, in governing or top management positions, or  students admitted  and contracts - without due process - CANNOT and WILL NOT be included in any MOU that I will sign.  Such an MOU will however include commitments to always seek the fair interest of the host community in aspects of concern to them.  By the way, the last draft of an MOU from the University side was submitted over four months back, and we await the Community's response, now that the King is back from an overseas trip after a brief illness.  We have sent another set of 10 copies of the Draft MOU for quicker discussion, and we have been promised quick response..

2.  Employment is another matter.  We already have 1300 staff total - and 1040 students, a clear imbalance, with further (and some understandable)  imbalance in favor of Bayelsa, Ogbia and Otuoke.  However, further employment MUST be rational - that is what we have assured the Federal Character Committee of the National Assembly when we were raked through the coals last year over lack of FC -  no matter the pressure.  Any list submitted MUST be accompanied with application letters and CVs AND their names against the 21 Stakeholder Communities (ie 7 Landlords, 7 Compounds and 7 Others) in Otuoke  - not just names without stake holder identification (that could lead to claims of marginalization eg of the Landlords of the university land, and therefore a need for instant redress, meaning even more employment), or just  phone numbers, academic or professional qualification and positions sought.  ALL must be interviewed - no automatic employment for ANYBODY.   In any case, we cannot begin to deal with 319 names from just one town.  No way.....even a community university, not to talk of a federal university, should not act that way....we have asked that the list be pared down, and the Community is already meeting on a revised list, and is responding positively.

3.  With respect to admission, at the end of the day, the University does not ADMIT - it merely RECOMMENDS to JAMB students to be admitted after Post-UTME (university screening after UTME), whereupon the universities sift through the names with JAMB to see who has actually met ALL the subject combinations that they told JAMB that they would do.  The Federal University Otuoke student therefore is the student who MATRICULATES - having fulfilled all requirements and paid fees.

Giving us forty names by the Community when only 25 of them chose OTUOKE in JAMB at all is problematic.  If  only 20 out of the 25 Otuoke made the JAMB cut-off mark of 180, and/or the PUTME cut-off,  is another hurdle.  If 15 of those who made the cut-off mark chose a narrow set of courses (Political Science, Accounting and English are the most popular) is another problem, since our quota of students to be admitted (hovering between 300 and 500) is skewed 60%-40% towards the Sciences, 45% of who must be STRICTLY by merit, according to certified JAMB rules.  Then after choosing even all the 15 students, some do get admission elsewhere, and choose elsewhere - as they should if they don't want to spend all their lives in Otuoke.  So between RECOMMENDATION and MATRICULATION, a lot can slip between the cup and the lip.

We have carefully explained to the Community that it is still early days, that as the Freshman size increases, and there are more course offerings, numbers of students admitted will increase, but we cannot FORCE students into the classes SIMPLY because they are from Otuoke:  otherwise, we will soon have the next problem of poor performance in our hands.  We repeat these explanations every year, and have promised to set up exam prep sessions for the Otuoke community, PARTICULARLY in the Science subjects, where there is serious lack of representation.

4.  Not much has been complained about with respect to CONTRACTS, but we have told the Community that the University awards contracts to qualified COMPANIES, not INDIVIDUALS, and the quicker companies with community interest are identified and formed, the easier it will be to compete favorably in procurement, renovation and construction contracts in the university.  BUT the work MUST be done - and done well - no short cuts.   A number of Otuoke-based companies have won contracts, both small and not-so-small with the University; yes "local content" must be ensured, otherwise "external content" will have problems.  There are still some grumbles here and there - but not much.

5.  Finally, whenever I meet the Community, I always emphasize a number of issues:

  (a)  the University is a FEDERAL university under law, NOT a Community University, and the Vice-Chancellorship cannot co-run the university with the Community, no matter the generosity of the Community in providing land and start-off infrastructure.  The VC cannot constantly run to the Community for affirmation.

   (b)  the essence of a University is in educating students and conducting research (for inventions and innovations), and NOT as an employment agency or a contracting concern.  Sometimes, that essence is lost; nobody seems to care about the QUALITY of instruction, just EMPLOYMENT and CONTRACTS.  The VC's business is beyond employments and contracts.

   (c)  all the advantage of a university being in the Community cannot be obtained in one, two, three or even five years.  The advantage is in perpetuity, and even extends BEYOND the walls of the universities since students and staff have municipal needs BEYOND the university walls.

   (d) as Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive of the University with fixed term, I am expected to uphold standards without any fear of intimidation by any other Chief Executive anywhere else in the country,  while ensuring fairness to the host community.  That is, I too am President of our 200-hectare lot, while the favored Son of Otuoke GEJ is President of a larger lot! ;-)  When some of the "repentant" Militant Generals of the Niger-Delta call me too demanding employment, I tell them - always to their amusement - that I too am a General of the University, and need to determine whether my "militant" members can shoot a gun (are qualified) before I employ them; is that not what they too first have to do?  [Some of the Generals upon my insistence recently agreed to donate a building to the University.....we shall see]

6.  As to the Press people, the University is ALWAYS open to them, so it is untrue that I EVADED any of them.   In fact, following the last demonstration, after a two-hour meeting with the King and Community leaders, I met seven of them for about an hour  in my office  on that very day, and did not dismiss them until they stopped asking questions. Only the Punch and the Nation press people were not in the room, but it was the Punch that FIRST carried the news of the demonstrations, wallahi, and the Nation re-warmed it in its Niger-Delta Report of today!    I find that interesting.

In general, when I meet the Press at Otuoke, I emphasize that first I am a Public Servant, so have to be careful what I say, but also that I am a Press person of sorts because I write opinion pieces and maintain a website.  But "Jonathan's town" has a fascination with them - they like to ask entrapping questions - and I am invariably assured by some that if I wish higher office, they can help me to burnish my image - for some consideration.....Not all of them, but some of them, but I dismiss that always as unnecessary:  I am NOT running for anything!:-)   I don't think that they always like that.

7.  Finally, I am in the fourth of my five-year term as pioneer VC and I am thoroughly enjoying the job, honestly! I am grateful to God and to those who gave me the opportunity - they know themselves! :-)

And there you have it.

Bolaji Aluko

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Igietseme, Joseph (CDC/OID/NCEZID) <jb...@cdc.gov> wrote:

I believe VC Aluko has already clarified the relevant issues associated with this incident at FUO, including the assurance from the university leadership that the community will be carried along as the university develops; specifically, local employment will be encouraged; the principles of Fed character will be followed according to the situations in other Fed institutions; and all constructive suggestions and observations will be looked into and addressed according to the institutional policies!

So what is in this recent post now? I will reserve my conclusion for now……………………hehehe!!! Take care. JUI

From: Segun Dawodu <stda...@gmail.com>
To: naijain...@googlegroups.com, naijaintellects <naijain...@googlegroups.com>, USAAfrica Dialogue <USAAfric...@googlegroups.com>, africanw...@googlegroups.com, PR Nigeria <prinn...@yahoo.com>, nigerianw...@yahoogroups.com, Niger...@yahoogroups.com, nigerian...@yahoogroups.com, talk...@yahoogroups.com, UmuAn...@yahoogroups.com, Anambr...@yahoogroups.com, Raay...@yahoogroups.com, NaijaP...@yahoogroups.com, Yan Arewa <YanA...@yahoogroups.com>, ekiti ekitigroups <ekiti...@yahoogroups.com>, OmoOdua <Omo...@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "Igietseme, Joseph (CDC/CCID/NCPDCID)" <jb...@cdc.gov>, Joseph Igietseme <jigie...@gmail.com>

Prof,
Who are the youths protesting? Those at home who couldn't pass waec?

It is obvious that this was instigated by some big dudes in the community.

My advice, is to leave Otuoke people with their wahala and abandon the place.

That university is destined to the garbage if the community is expecting the university to be like the oil companies and in a period when GEJ will no longer be in government.

And referring to your ethnic as part of their protest is unfortunate.

Segun