Limit on ListingGroup operations in a BatchJob still in place

Miquel Isern Roca

Jan 10, 2023, 10:03:43 AM1/10/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hello,

with the move to the GoogleAds API, a limit on the number of operations allowed inside a BatchJob for ListingGroups was applied. Back then the limit was 1000 operations in a BatchJob. That was reportedly fixed already.
Link to an old post I opened about the problems caused by that limit.

I was recently checking if the limit was indeed gone. And my tests indicate that there's still a limit on the number of operations.
When I try to create a tree of 19_000 ListingGroups for an AdGroup using a Batch Job all my ListingGroup operations come back with an error like this one:

status {
  code: 10
  message: "The MutateJob was aborted. There are no further results to return."
  details {
    [type.googleapis.com/google.ads.googleads.v11.errors.GoogleAdsFailure] {
      errors {
        error_code {
          internal_error: INTERNAL_ERROR
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Tests with a smaller number of ListingGroup operations succeed. If the maximum number of ListingGroup nodes in a tree is 20_000, why is the limit of ListingGroup operations allowed in a BatchJob lower than that?

Is there a reason? Will this limit be removed at some point?

Thanks.

Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum

Jan 12, 2023, 3:29:53 AM1/12/23
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Re-posting the last inquiry (https://groups.google.com/g/adwords-api/c/6rd7AGkjO0E) from the forum as it wasn't routed to our support queue.

Kind regards,
Carmela
Google Ads API Team

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 12, 2023, 10:17:18 AM1/12/23
to adwor...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thank you for notifying our team about the issue you encountered.

So our team can better investigate the errors, could you share as well the generated request and response logs, and its request-id? In addition, could you also share any batch job IDs generated by your requests? If you haven't yet, logging can be enabled by navigating to the Client libraries > Your client library (ex. Java) > Logging documentation.

You may then send the requested information via the Reply privately to author option. If this option is not available, you may send the details directly to our googleadsa...@google.com alias instead.

Regards,

Google Logo
Darwin
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2hxZRz:ref

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 18, 2023, 1:48:12 PM1/18/23
to miquel.i...@channable.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miquel,

Thank you for your reply and for the logs you have attached.

Unfortunately, however, the logs that you sent over does not appear to contain the details of the internal error. That said, could you share the logs that contain the internal error and the request-id that was returned with it?

Our team will need these details so we can raise this issue for further investigation.

Best regards,

Google Logo
Peter Laurence
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2hxZRz:ref
Message has been deleted

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 19, 2023, 11:04:55 AM1/19/23
to miquel.i...@channable.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miquel,

Thank you for providing the requested details. I am Carmela from the Google Ads API support team as well.

With regards to the error that you've encountered, the said error means that Google Ads API encountered an unexpected internal error. This is one of the retryable errors which can indicate a temporary problem that may be resolved by retrying the request after a short pause. Can you confirm if you tried retrying your request and still got the INTERNAL_ERROR error?

In addition, allow me to raise this issue to the rest of our team to better check why you are getting the said error. Rest assured that we will get back to you for updates.

Regards,
Google Logo
Carmela
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2hxZRz:ref

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 19, 2023, 4:33:53 PM1/19/23
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, miquel.i...@channable.com

Hi Miquel,

I think this is a different issue caused by the size of the request, rather than a hard enforced limit. I've asked the team to investigate, but I think a slightly smaller tree size should go through without any issues.

Regards
Anash

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2hxZRz:ref

Miquel Isern Roca

Jan 20, 2023, 3:47:18 AM1/20/23
to Google Ads API Forum Advisor, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

to answer Caramela, I indeed tried and retried sending the operations multiple times on different days even. That's why I ended up opening the issue.

Regarding your answer Anash, I'm aware that the size is the issue because sending a smaller amount of ListingGroups operations ( i think under 10k) works.
My question is why this is so?
A ListingGroup tree has a limit of 20_000 nodes ( it is smaller for the new PerformanceMax but not for normal Shopping Campaigns). And the limit of operations that fit in a BatchJob in the new API goes up to a million. If that's the case why am I not able to send the 20_000 operations to create a single tree in a single BatchJob?

Regards,
Miquel Isern Roca
Python Software Engineer
ImageImageImageImageImage
+44 (0)20 331 800 89
Image
Image
Image

Miquel Isern Roca

Jan 31, 2023, 5:45:57 AM1/31/23
to Google Ads API Forum Advisor, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

do you have any updates on this issue?

Thanks,

Miquel Isern Roca
Python Software Engineer
ImageImageImageImageImage
+44 (0)20 331 800 89
Image
Image
Image

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 1, 2023, 5:54:02 PM2/1/23
to miquel.i...@channable.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miquel,

No updates since our last email on January 20.

Miquel Isern Roca

Apr 13, 2023, 9:15:45 AM4/13/23
to Google Ads API Forum Advisor, adwor...@googlegroups.com, Jaka Klančar
Hello again,

As suggested by your side, I have been trying to push ListingGroups bigger than 10_000 nodes and can't get it to work with a single BatchJob. All the operations always come back with an INTERNAL_ERROR with the message: "The MutateJob was aborted. There are no further results to return.".

image.png

A ListingGroup tree has a limit of 20_000 nodes ( it is smaller for the new PerformanceMax but not for normal Shopping Campaigns). And the limit of operations that fit in a BatchJob in the new API goes up to a million. If that's the case why am I not able to send the 20_000 operations to create a single tree in a single BatchJob?

Are you planning to work on a solution for this? We currently don't have a solution that allows us to send trees bigger than 10_000 nodes which are supposed to be valid.

Regards,
Miquel Isern Roca
Python Software Engineer
ImageImageImageImageImage
+44 (0)20 331 800 89
Image
Image
Image

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Apr 13, 2023, 5:22:34 PM4/13/23
to miquel.i...@channable.com, jaka.k...@channable.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miquel,

I still don't have much updates from the team, but I've pinged them for progress. Meanwhile, any newer job IDs could be helpful in checking whether these are the same issues or different ones.