Shivagita (of Padmapurana) cited by Saivacharya Sripati Pandita

V Subrahmanian

Jan 10, 2024, 1:30:40 AMJan 10
to Advaitin
The Shiva gita, a discourse on Vedanta between Shiva and Sri Rama, said to be in the Padmapurana but not available there in the present times, is cited, naming it, by Sripati Panditacharya of the 11/12th Century CE in his Brahma sutra Srikara Bhashya.  Whatever be the date of Srikara Pandita, that he has cited the verses by naming the source is an important evidence.

The Narada Purana and another purana do say that the Shiva Gita is part of the Padma purana.

There are several commentaries to the Shiva Gita.

The verses cited in the Srikara Bhashyam are indeed found in the present day Shiva Gita:

शिवगीता/प्रथमोऽध्यायः

Kuntimaddi Sadananda

Jan 10, 2024, 2:38:12 AMJan 10
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Advaitin
PraNAms

I found this while reading some notes - 'Counter Correlative of the non-existence of the pot'
Is it used when prior knowledge of the existence of the object somewhere?
Can we say 'Counter-correlative of the non-existence of Gaagaabuubu'. I do not know what is Gaagaabuubu.

What exactly Counter-correlative means? Any clarification?

Hari Om!
Sadananda

The Shiva gita, a discourse on Vedanta between Shiva and Sri Rama, said to
be in the Padmapurana but not available there in the present times, is
cited, naming it, by Sripati Panditacharya of the 11/12th Century CE in his
Brahma sutra Srikara Bhashya.  Whatever be the date of Srikara Pandita,
that he has cited the verses by naming the source is an important evidence.

See the image of the above text here:
https://groups.google.com/g/advaitin/c/z-rT1PZJ8Hg

The Narada Purana and another purana do say that the Shiva Gita is part of
the Padma purana.

There are several commentaries to the Shiva Gita.

The verses cited in the Srikara Bhashyam are indeed found in the present
day Shiva Gita:
शिवगीता/प्रथमोऽध्यायः
https://sa.wikisource.org/s/1j9n

For assistance, contact:
listm...@advaita-vedanta.org

V Subrahmanian

Jan 10, 2024, 3:15:45 AMJan 10
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Dear Sada ji,

The term 'Counter correlative' is used for the Sanskrit equivalent 'pratiyogin':  In the case cited by you, it would be called 'abhAva pratiyogin':

by A Uno1975 — and 'counter-positive' or 'counter-relative' for the absential pratiyogin. Here, however, we want to use the original Sanskrit terms, anuyogin and pratiyogin,.
7 days ago — Anuyogi and pratiyogi are correlated substratum and counter-correlative in Hindu logic. Pratiyogita is a subjective relationship between the ...

H S Chandramouli

Jan 10, 2024, 3:40:20 AMJan 10
to adva...@googlegroups.com, kuntimaddi sadananda, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Namaste Sadananda Ji,

The Nyāya-Vaiśeikas also hold

that
abhāva is not without any essence. It is determined by its pratiyogī (countercorrelate). In case of negation, there is an object whose non-existence is experienced

and there is a locus on which this non-existence is based. The object of non-existence

is called its
pratiyogī and the locus is called anuyogī. For example, in case of ‘there is

no jar on the ground’, the jar is the
pratiyogī and the ground is the anuyogī

Regards

Kuntimaddi Sadananda

Jan 10, 2024, 4:32:32 AMJan 10
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
PraNAms to everybody.

Thanks for all the responses. It is clear to me now.

Hari Om!
Sadananda