Where are local issues discussed?

Michael Allan

Jun 17, 2010, 3:38:33 PM6/17/10
to TorCamp
They have a mailing list in St. Paul where they discuss local issues.
It looks pretty lively, way above average:
http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/stpaul-issues

Is there anything similar in Toronto?

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 647-436-4521
http://zelea.com/

Stephen van Egmond

Jun 17, 2010, 4:05:51 PM6/17/10
to tor...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything similar in Toronto?

They tend to be built around neighbourhoods.

There's a traditional mailing list for leslieville.  And a (quiet) facebook group for Roncesvalles.

Michael Allan

Jun 17, 2010, 5:02:10 PM6/17/10
to tor...@googlegroups.com
Stephen van Egmond wrote:
> There's a traditional mailing list for leslieville. And a (quiet)
> facebook group for Roncesvalles.

(Roncesvalles itself is quiet without the streetcars.) I couldn't
find a Leslieville mailing list, but I found this Web forum:
http://www.leslieviller.com/forum

We have nothing like that in the Annex.

Michael Allan

Jun 20, 2010, 10:34:20 AM6/20/10
to tor...@googlegroups.com
PS on this. I looked at every neighbourhood in the city:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neighbourhoods_in_Toronto
The only place where local issues are discussed is here:
http://www.leslieviller.com/forum

I found two others, but they both appear to be dead:
http://www.swansea.ca/forum/
http://www.jane-finch.com/forum/

If anyone knows of a forum for local issues *anywhere* (not just
Toronto), please let me know. The best I've found so far is this one.
It has 1287 members. Even candidates and office holders are posting:
http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mpls

Best to all,

Sandy Kemsley

Jun 20, 2010, 10:59:59 AM6/20/10
to tor...@googlegroups.com

Some neighbourhoods use Yahoo or Google groups, have you searched
there? I believe there is a Leslieville Yahoo group, for example, as
well as one for King-Niagara.

> --
> .

Jodi Showers

Jun 20, 2010, 12:37:28 PM6/20/10
to tor...@googlegroups.com
http://ossingtonvillage.com/ from Brian and Melinda

CP

Jun 18, 2010, 2:14:08 PM6/18/10
to TorCamp
I think what you're actually looking for is the Leslieville Yahoo
Group (
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/leslieville/). It's very active with
500+
members and good moderators. Topics can get pretty contentious and
they've
branched out to include other topic specific forums like the Smart
Centres/Walmart development. All in all a good group. Alternatively,
Connecting Neighbours (http://www.connectingneighbors.com/) used to be
good.
No idea what they're solution is like now, but they appear to have
expanded
into Canada recently.

Pat

Patrick McCarten

Jun 21, 2010, 10:23:50 AM6/21/10
to tor...@googlegroups.com
The Leslieville Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/leslieville/) is very active with 500+ members and good moderators. Topics can get pretty contentious and they've branched out to include other topic specific forums like the Smart Centres/Walmart development. All in all a good group. Alternatively, Connecting Neighbours (http://www.connectingneighbors.com/) used to be good. No idea what they're solution is like now, but they appear to have expanded into Canada recently.

Pat
Pat McCarten
Managing Director
Codesta, www.codesta.com
366 Adelaide St West, Suite 204
Toronto, Ontario, M5V 1R9
(416) 363-4413 ext. 222
fax (416) 352-1401
mobile (647) 988-4720
patrick....@codesta.com

Michael Allan

Jun 23, 2010, 10:07:45 PM6/23/10
to TorCamp
Thanks for the links. The Leslieville/Yahoo list is private, and my
request to see it is still pending. (Leslieville has both a mailing
list and a Web forum, while other neighbourhoods have no forum at all
- blogs aside. Strange, eh?) I couldn't find the King-Niagara/Yahoo
list.

I'm wondering if we can start a city-wide forum. I'm asking here:
http://groups.google.com/group/changecamp/t/81da3d29492abab8

Thanks to all,