new to group

catfisherygal

Sep 24, 2012, 5:24:54 PM9/24/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
 Hi everyone...I just joined this group hoping I've finally found a place to learn and chat about my fresh fish aquarium hobby.and share with others their experiences.. I'm a 50's female with cats and fish. I have 4 aquariums at the moment.. one 40 gal, two 20 gal and one 10 gal. I want to get another tank about a 29 gal or maybe larger around Christmas as my fishies give me fry at times and I'd like to be able to keep more.. I'm a novice, but doing well with them. I have guppy's, sunburst platys,  and tetra's. Originally I just purchased 3 fish to give the felines some "cat TV".. but they aren't interested at all, yet I became hooked! I really enjoy the fish.... the closest I'm going to get to scuba diving which I used to do LOL.  I realize I don't have any exotic aquariums at the moment perhaps compared to others, but I'm enjoying what I do have and would like to interact with others. ..catfisherygal

Andy Cage

Sep 25, 2012, 5:07:27 AM9/25/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi and Welcome

logo
Andy Cage, Fish Food Online
Tel: 0845590122
www.fishfoodonline.org
in...@fishfoodonline.org
Facebook
Contact me: Y! Messenger Fishfoodonline

--
Andy Cage

Summer Folsom

Sep 25, 2012, 12:07:22 PM9/25/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the group!  This group can definitely be a wonderful abundance of information. :D

- Summer

catfi...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 8:56:24 PM9/25/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks much!! Smile
wlEmoticon-smile[1].png

catfi...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 8:56:59 PM9/25/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy Smile

Sep 26, 2012, 8:00:01 AM9/26/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Catfisherygal!
Nothing wrong with laid back tanks - ie: some live plants, tetras and platys.  I have something similar in my office.  Low maintenance and relaxing.

cheers
NetMax

Jeff Walther

Sep 26, 2012, 11:38:48 AM9/26/12

On Monday, September 24, 2012 4:24:55 PM UTC-5, catfisherygal wrote:
 I want to get another tank about a 29 gal or maybe larger around Christmas as my fishies give me fry at times and I'd like to be able to keep more..

Ahhhhhhhhrrrgggggg!!

Turn back now.  It may already be too late.  You have MTS!

<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/the-freshwater-aquarium/kqlXfl7gkBg/discussion>
<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/the-freshwater-aquarium/JbuMrFMTdTc/discussion>

:-)

Welcome to the group!   It's nice to have another livebearer fan on the list.

Jeff Walther

catfi...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2012, 8:31:45 PM9/26/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
LOL Jeff... I know I started with three fish and now have over 50!  Maybe will just turn the house into one giant fishery Smile What have you  got in fish and tanks? Liz
wlEmoticon-smile[1].png

catfi...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2012, 8:34:57 PM9/26/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the welcome Net.   This is how I’ve started, and it’s been quite a learning experience! From knowing nothing!!! To building up a nice set up over here.   My question to you as well is what do you have in the way of fish and what size aquariums? Liz

Sep 27, 2012, 12:00:26 AM9/27/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the welcome Andy...no... I’m in  the US..

Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:06 PM

Jim and Phyllis

Oct 4, 2012, 7:59:30 PM10/4/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
And a second welcome!  Enjoy!

denizen

Oct 11, 2012, 11:21:45 AM10/11/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Catfish Gal,
Welcome! It sounds like you're not a novice any more, with 4 tanks and counting. Sounds like multiple tank syndrome (MTS) has struck ;) .

I've had fish most of the time since the early 60s, but only 2 tanks at the moment. There are cats in the house too. A bird feeder outside the window attracts birds and squirrels to entertain the cats.
d.

catfi...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2012, 8:12:52 PM10/11/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi..

Nice to have some amusement for them. We can’t feed the birds where we live.. they bring rats and mice.. boy did I find out that the hard way.. so we don’t really get much in the way of birds now Sad smile. Plenty of action before tho! We do get some squirrels from time to time. How many cats do you have? What kinds of fish?

Yes, I’m into the MTS it seems!!
wlEmoticon-sadsmile[1].png

denizen

Oct 14, 2012, 11:23:30 AM10/14/12
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
There are currently 3 cats, all neutered males.

The 90gal aquarium has 2 clown loaches that I got 21 years ago. The third one of that group just died last year, and these fish have body length of about 5 inches, plus the tail.

There are also many red platies and some bristlenose catfish. But the main thing is the plants: lots of floating hornwort and water sprite, and also 2 kinds of Crypts, giant Vals, Anubias and Java moss. At maintenance time, much plant material goes to the compost.

There is also a 20gal aquarium with some of the same plants, one platy and many ramshorn snails. I cannot keep snails in the 20gal, due to the loaches.
d.