Cowling fasteners

Phillip Palmer

Nov 18, 2015, 10:24:27 AM11/18/15
to Pitts Model 12
All,

I was looking at some pics of Kendal Simpson's cowling and was trying to figure out what type of fasteners he used.  So, I was curious what types of quick-release fasteners others are using to secure the two halves of the cowling together.  Any insights/experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Kendal Simpson

Nov 19, 2015, 12:36:46 AM11/19/15
to pit...@googlegroups.com, m12bu...@yahoo.com
Phil,
I used the Skyboly

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.

TO START A NEW TOPIC:
You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

NOTE: You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
Pitts12-u...@googlegroups.com

HELPFUL LINKS: http://groups.google.com/group/Pitts12?hl=en
Jim Kimball Enterprises www.PittsModel12.com
www.2wings.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/pitts12.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pitts12/8203759.7348441.1447860265640.JavaMail.yahoo%40mail.yahoo.com.
<datauri-file.png>

Kendal Simpson

Nov 19, 2015, 12:41:57 AM11/19/15
to pit...@googlegroups.com, m12bu...@yahoo.com
Let me try that again...  I used the skybolt camlock adjustable fasteners.  You just need to make sure you don't use retainers in the  ones in the front of the cowling so they are fully removable. Otherwise they will hang up and you won't be able to remove the cowling. They worked great and it's nice to have the adjustable ones so you can vary the tension on them with slight changes in fiberglass thickness. Makes pulling and reinstalling the cowling a 3 minute process instead of a 20 minute one.

Kendal

Phillip Palmer

Nov 19, 2015, 11:32:48 AM11/19/15
to Kendal Simpson, pit...@googlegroups.com
Kendall,

Do you remember the exact fastener designations?  I checked Skybolt Aeromotive last night and they had two different series that could(?) be used.  By the look of some of the pics, I think you used the Series 4000 units. Are those "floating" fasteners?

Also, I'm guessing you've got about 50-60 of them on your cowl. That sound about right?

Phil

Let me try that again...  I used the skybolt camlock adjustable fasteners.  You just need to make sure you don't use retainers in the  ones in the front of the cowling so they are fully removable. Otherwise they will hang up and you won't be able to remove the cowling. They worked great and it's nice to have the adjustable ones so you can vary the tension on them with slight changes in fiberglass thickness. Makes pulling and reinstalling the cowling a 3 minute process instead of a 20 minute one.

Kendal

On Nov 18, 2015, at 21:36, Kendal Simpson <ken...@acronut.com> wrote:

Phil,
I used the Skyboly

On Nov 18, 2015, at 07:24, 'Phillip Palmer' via Pitts Model 12 <pit...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Kendal Simpson

Nov 19, 2015, 12:07:33 PM11/19/15
to Phillip Palmer, pit...@googlegroups.com
Phil, they were the larger ones with adjustable receptacles.  No they don't float but I've never had problems with them not lining up. They are spaced about 5" or so apart. Be careful with the spacing on the firewall the engine mount can get in the way. I won't be home for a few days so I can't give you an exact count or anything now.
Hope this helps.
Kendal
<datauri-file.png>
<datauri-file.png>

Darin Bishop

Jan 19, 2016, 5:26:52 AM1/19/16
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

Did you ever figure out what hardware to order? If so, please post so I won't have to dig it up.

I still remember how Kendal popped his cowl off for us that year at Sun-n-fun. It took him about 3 minutes!

Darin

Phillip Palmer

Jan 19, 2016, 7:06:43 AM1/19/16
to pit...@googlegroups.com
I got a few fasteners from Skybolt the other day along with the tools to mount them. I also ordered some scrap material in order to do a "test fit". Should be able to get to it soon.

I've been installing insulation in the garage over the past few weeks.

When I have the results I'll let you know.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone
--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.

TO START A NEW TOPIC:
You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

NOTE: You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
Pitts12-u...@googlegroups.com

HELPFUL LINKS: http://groups.google.com/group/Pitts12?hl=en
Jim Kimball Enterprises www.PittsModel12.com
www.2wings.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.

Darin Bishop

Jan 19, 2016, 3:26:34 PM1/19/16
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

Ok great it will be nice when we have that all figured out because it does make a great system that I'm sure will see much adoption by others building. I've attached a pdf file, are these the fasteners we're looking at?

Darin
CamlocInstallation.pdf

Kendal Simpson

Jan 19, 2016, 4:09:23 PM1/19/16
to pit...@googlegroups.com, Darrin Bishop
No Darin,
 I used the Skybolt C-Loc 4000 series.  They work great with their adjustability.
--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.

TO START A NEW TOPIC:
You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

NOTE: You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
Pitts12-u...@googlegroups.com

HELPFUL LINKS: http://groups.google.com/group/Pitts12?hl=en
Jim Kimball Enterprises www.PittsModel12.com
www.2wings.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/pitts12.

<CamlocInstallation.pdf>

Phillip Palmer

Jan 19, 2016, 4:29:54 PM1/19/16
to pit...@googlegroups.com

SK4S5S-SET1.  Its a floating variant.  Kendal said he DIDN'T use the floating variant.  I'm going to try both.  I also got: The Installation Tools as the bottom of the page:

4P3-T26
Template-215
Template-245

I'm waiting for some fiberglass sheets I purchased, varying thicknesses, so that I can the tools and fasteners without risk of damaging the cowling.

[...]

21 CLoc 4000 Common Set.pdf