HCTV (Helena Civic TV, cable channel 11) broadcast dates/times for the Sept 19 Student Debt Crisis Workshop/Forum are :
9/29 at 7 pm,
9/30 at 6 pm,
10/2 at noon,
10/3 at 8:30 pm
And it will also be available at those times via live streaming for those without access to cable TV: http://helenacivictv.org/whats-on-channel-11/live-stream/
DEBT HELENA MT, a Working Group of Occupy Helena: Helenans working to bring people together to promote creative community remedies for the immense debt problems and the basic economic and educational needs challenges we face as individuals, families, and as a community. Most of us -- individuals, families, and communities -- are drowning in debt due mostly to the reckless, greedy actions of Wall Street financial wizards -- whose only concern has been for profit for banks and corporations, whose profits are now at record levels. Those of us who do not have the staggering personal debt problems that many have are still affected and deeply moved by the injustices and sufferings of our sisters and brothers in deep debt. Strike Debt Helena MT’s work can help us to get together and begin a new day.
DEBT HELENA MT‘s DEBT CRISIS WORKSHOP SERIES:
August 22: Housing Debt -- September 19: Student Debt -- October 10: Medical Debt
Time: 7-9pm -- Location: St. Paul’s Methodist Church, 512 Logan in Helena
Ø Strike Debt Helena MT is also a local chapter of The national Strike Debt organization, of which: http://strikedebt.org/
Strike Debt is a nationwide movement of debt resistors fighting for economic justice and democratic freedom.
Debt is a tie that binds the 99%. With stagnant wages, systemic unemployment, and public service cuts, we are forced to go into debt for the basic things in life — and thus surrender our futures to the banks. Debt is major source of profit and power for Wall Street that works to keep us isolated, ashamed, and afraid. Using direct action, research, education, and the arts, we are coming together to challenge this illegitimate system while imagining and creating alternatives. We want an economy in which our debts are to our friends, families, and communities — and not to the 1%.
S19 - Student Loan Debt Crisis Workshop/Listening Session
September 19, 2013
Location: St. Paul’s Methodist Church, 512 Logan in Helena
CO- SPONSORED BY:
STRIKE DEBT HELENA MT/ An Economic Justice Group Working on Debt. Phone: 443-0843. Facebook: http E-mail: strikedeb...@gmail.com
THE MONTANA ORGANIZING PROJECT -- a collaboration of Montana community, civic, labor and faith groups working for economic, racial and social justice, promoting the dignity and empowerment of people with low and middle incomes whose voices have not been heard in their communities.www.montanaorganizingproject.org Phone: 406-490-9777. Facebook: www.facebook.com/montanaorganizingproject E-mail: info@montanaorganizingproject. org
The Sept 19 workshop/ listening session will include:
· Showing of A Democracy NOW! Interview of Matt Taibbi: “U.S. Student Loan Bubble Saddles a Generation With Debt and Threatens the Economy” --
· Presentation by Marti Johnson from the Student Assistant Foundation about individual strategies to address student loan debt
· A Debt Assembly will include: Students and parents sharing stories of student debt problems:
- How many of you are paying off a student loan and will be doing so for many years to come?
- How does this affect your future?
- Will it be an economic struggle?
- Did you realize what you were in for when you took loans out?
- Parents, are you concerned about your kids student debt?
- Do they need to move back home due to lack of employment and student loan debt?
- Why is tuition so high and rising?
· Brainstorming for community actions for community solutions such as:
- Formation of a local mentoring group for students with loan debt
- Montana and national legislation to alleviate student debt (such as the recent Oregon law.)
- Questions to ask state candidates for the next election, especially about full state funding of colleges to deal with rising tuition.
- Petition drive to send to Sally Mae, https://www.salliemae.com/
- legal actions such as lawsuits for hardship bankruptcy for student loan debt
- and your ideas.
EVEN THOSE OF US WHO DON'T HAVE STAGGERING DEBT ARE STILL AFFECTED AND DEEPLY MOVED BY THE INJUSTICES AND SUFFERING OF OUR SISTERS AND BROTHERS IN DEEP DEBT DUE TO THE UNFAIR AND EXPLOITATIVE PRACTICES OF WALL STREET BANKS AND GREEDY CORPORATIONS. OUR STRIKE DEBT WORK CAN HELP TO END THIS AND BEGIN A NEW DAY.