July 2022 - News, starcharts and research papers

Edwin Rod

Jul 24, 2022, 6:23:17 AM7/24/22
to Edwin Rod
July 2022 - News, starcharts and research papers

Hi Everyone

Please find this month’s news, research and star charts attached.

There is a few good papers on exoplanets out this month and Webb will be observing Trappist 1 soon, however the results of that may not be released for a while. There is a good one of the search for “Planet 9” from infrared surveys, Future observatories I’m sure will settle this one.

It was good to see John D down in Wellington while he was here and on a sad note I attended the funeral of Frank Andrews, who was well known to many of us for as long as I can remember. There was also the excitement of one big fireball re-entering just south of Wellington, from the office in the city I didn’t see or hear anything.

Plenty to read and catch up on

Research papers

Predictions for Observable Atmospheres of Trappist-1

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.04164

The Effect of Accretion Rate and Composition on the Structure of Ice-rich Super-Earths

https://arxiv.org/abs/2206.12861

Water UV-Shielding in the Terrestrial Planet-Forming Zone

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.04063

Different ice shell geometries on Europa and Enceladus due to their different sizes

https://arxiv.org/abs/2206.15325

On the long-term stability of the Solar System in the presence of weak perturbations from stellar flybys

https://arxiv.org/abs/2206.14240

The Resonant Tidal Evolution of the Earth-Moon Distance

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.00438

Searching for giant planets in the outer Solar System with far-infrared all-sky surveys

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.09985

Flares and rotation of M dwarfs with habitable zones accessible to TESS planet detections

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.03794

Resolved imaging of exoplanets with the solar gravitational lens

https://arxiv.org/abs/2204.04866

The Chiral Puzzle of Life

https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.12138

Biolocomotion and premelting in ice

https://arxiv.org/abs/2203.14038

Stellar metallicity is a key parameter for the search of Life in the Universe

https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.03748

Interesting News items

How did I miss this one? Wellington city was very overcast and hazy all day!

Second video shows brightness of fireball seen in lower North Island

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/07/07/second-video-shows-brightness-of-fireball-seen-in-lower-north-island/

A good overview of the meteor over Cook Straight - I personally didnt see or hear it.

https://theconversation.com/equivalent-to-1-800-tonnes-of-tnt-what-we-now-know-about-the-meteor-that-lit-up-the-daytime-sky-above-new-zealand-186636

Georgia Guidestones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t3SCc1tSQs

Light pollution and Heyfever combined

https://theconversation.com/light-pollution-is-disrupting-the-seasonal-rhythms-of-plants-and-trees-lengthening-pollen-season-in-us-cities-184730

A good update on the SKA

https://casca.ca/?p=17648

Obituarie

ANDREWS, Frank Pelham. Of Silverstream, Upper Hutt

Frank gently and peacefully slipped away at Kandahar Rest Home, Masterton on 11 July 2022.

Beloved husband of Anne for 56 years.

Adored father of Katie.

Treasured Poppa of Isabella, Eliana and Benicio.

A loved brother, brother in law, uncle, mentor and friend to many.

Lifelong stargazer, astronomer and educator extraordinaire. A service for Frank will be held at St Mary’s Anglican Church, Silverstream on Friday 15th July 2022 at 1.30pm. For the livestream click on the light blue tab at top of this page. Messages to the Andrews family C/- PO Box 185, Carterton 5743 or can be left here on Frank's tribute page

https://www.tributes.co.nz/ViewMyTribute.aspx?id=17597

Frank Pelham Andrews (20.05.1939-11.07.2022) St Marys Anglican Church - 15 July 2022 @ 13:30 NZST

https://vimeo.com/729407872/79e4a256fa

Like many of you I have known Frank for many years and it was sad to hear of his passing.He really was a character in New Zealand Astronomy for many years, I must have attended workshops, Starparties, Observatory events with Frank for well over 20 years, I've found a few photos of him working on Johns Observatory attached,

Hi. For those who don't know, Frank Andrews passed away a couple of days ago. Frank was a very well known character in New Zealand (and overseas) astronomical circles. He worked for a number of years at Carter Observatory in Wellington. Frank's death notice was in the Dominion Post today. It states that people can watch the service online. It starts at 1:30pm on Friday 15th July NZST (tomorrow).

See:

https://tributes.co.nz/ViewMyTribute.aspx?id=17597

Watch the service:

https://vimeo.com/729407872/79e4a256fa

A photo of Frank with the 9.75" Carter Obs telescope is attached. It was taken at the 2021 RASNZ conference in Wellington.

Bye Frank...

Cheers

John D

My interests and more can be found @

Thanks Edwin
(A posting enthusiast)
stardomeStarChart-July21.pdf
All charts 2208.pdf
Research_21_07_2022.txt
STCEnews20220715.pdf
Searching for giant planets in the outer Solar System with far-infrared all-sky surveys.pdf
Resolved imaging of exoplanets with the solar gravitational lens.pdf