Gowrie Station bike parking

Faith Hunter

Jun 30, 2021, 9:25:52 PMJun 30
to Moreland BUG
Dear BUGgies,

Moreland Council are working on increasing bike parking at railway stations. They recently sent me this info about an opportunity to re-house a parkieten station at Goqwrie Station where more recently the bike parking is always full:

 A Parkiteer cage at Gowrie Station in Fawkner.
The opportunity came up to get hold of this cage as part of the Glenroy Rail Grade separation. A new one will be included as part of the Glenroy Station redevelopment, leaving this one surplus.
DoT wanted to place the cage at Royal Park Station, but working with Bicycle Network, we were able to convince them that Gowrie was a worthy candidate based upon:
  • The aspiration to extend the Upfield Shared User Path to the Western Ring Trail.
  • The recent (pre-covid) use of existing hoops at Gowrie Station (full).
  • The fact that there is no station at Campbellfield/ Camp Road.
  • Our commitment to develop a cycling network in Fawkner.

Following this, we looked at likely locations in and near the station. We’ve ruled out the western side of the station because:
  • It’s not as well lit.
  • It’s away from the residential catchment.
  • It may inhibit works on extending the shared path and also the rail duplication.

So, locating on the eastern side (orange square on the attached map) requires the removal of three car spaces from the commuter car park. The car park is VicTrack property and is operated by MTM. We also looked at a spot on the concrete apron near the rail fence (where the bins and the old style bike lockers are) but we ruled this out because there’s a high voltage cable under the slab.

So, we anticipate MTM may be a bit sensitive about the loss of car parking; it’s something to be worked through. I’m sure you appreciate the logic of giving up 3 car spaces to gain 26 bike parking spots.

Given all of that, I would appreciate your input.

So, thoughts on placing a parkiteer cage on eastern side of Gowrie Station by replacing three car parking spaces? Sounds like a good idea to me.

And there will be news about other stations coming up!

Attachment 1 Gowrie Parkiteer.pdf