Re: [Gmail-Users] Setting up gmail to automatically cc/bcc yourself

Jeremy Nicholls

May 26, 2013, 2:42:19 AM5/26/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Here's a simple solution which works with free Gmail as well. It uses the fact that Gmail filters also work on sent email as well as incoming mail (despite what it says on the filter set-up page about filtering incoming mail).

Under your Gmail Settings, set up a forwarding address to the address you want to BCC to.

Then set up a filter which detects all emails which have your own address in the From field, and then tick the appropriate box to forward mail to the forwarding address you already set up.

Easy.

On 25 May 2013 22:37, Frank St. Claire <fstc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Marko,

Please see my most recent reply to Zack's reply to Geoff if you fail to understand the concern of some of us.

Also, just because an issue is not a problem for you and some others does not mean it is not a problem for many of us.

I am sure you have your own "problems" as evidenced by your reply, on which I will not elaborate further. This is not a group that is aimed at ad hominem attacks.

Good day.

On 5/25/2013 1:50 PM, Marko Vukovic wrote:

Frank, you mention the word 'problem' a lot. Consider that just because you deem a feature to be necessary does not somehow make it a problem for the rest of us.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Frank St. Claire <fstc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Zack/(Doc): My comment was not meant to be critical of anyone here (including yourself). The thrust of my commentary was the apparent recalcitrance of Google to address the problem.

BTW, I will be glad to make an "official request" to Google if you or someone else would direct me to the most effective way to do so. However, having done this in the past with at least one "official suggestion" for Youtube sign-ins, no response was ever forthcoming from Google and I doubt any would occur in this suggested effort.  From what I see, Google pretty much does whatever it wants to do with little influence from its users. In other words, the attitude seems to be  "Google knows best."

What might make more sense than some of us sending to Google unorganized ad hoc suggestions to this problem (which seems to be ongoing for years now and is both unsolved by users here (who do try to help)  and by Google (which seems to be unwillingly to address the issue) might be to initiate a petition here of users who do feel this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed and submit that petition to Google. Maybe someone more talented than myself could start such a petition drive by creating a Youtube video that might go viral. Maybe then, and only then, Google might pay attention.

Until that happens, many of us will continue to use IMAP-configured third-party email programs such as Mozilla Thunderbird for sending email and simply avoid Gmail's web-based email facility. If that's what they want, that's what they will get.

It's a sad commentary on a company that in general has done so much good.

Thank you for your response.

On 5/23/2013 7:08 AM, Zack (Doc) wrote:
Turning off conversation view has been an option for a long time now, and it is the result of Google listening to peoples suggestions (call them complaints if you like, I prefer to work with people, not against them), and is proof the Google does listen to it's users.  However, those suggestions need to be made through the right place, the official suggestion page, not postings in a user's group that has never been an official source for company solved problems.  As a user's group, we're just fellow users like yourself, offering suggestions and help for situations you propose (and general discussion if that is what you wish).

If you don't want suggestions from fellow users, then you are free to unsubscribe.  If you don't like a particular poster's methods or attitude, you are free to ignore them, or if it's bad enough, contact the list owner at the link provided on the group's web page.

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Frank St. Claire <fstc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Every reply (most of which seem to come from "Zac") dance around the problem, which is pretty simple:

1. You want to have a copy of each email you send sent to yourself as if you had manually listed yourself as a bcc recipient -- which is gets very old to do manually after you've done it for awhile.
2. While almost every email service (e.g., Mozilla Thunderbird with IMAP settings) provides such an option, Gmail apparently does not -- despite years of everyone's pleas.
3. You don't want to use conversation mode -- which some find distracting AND
4. You don't want to have to search your "sent" folder for a copy of your own email sent to others (see item 1 above).

and for clarification, this question is NOT:

1. related to CRM (I don't care whatever that is and don't want to know) or
2. a philosophical issue.

and finally:

1. Does Google listen to their users or has it turned a deaf ear to a legitimate multi-year request?
2. BTW, we accepted Google's limitation of two levels of "nesting" of mail folders with its multiple "labels" -- which is probably due to a limit in Gmail's design architecture, but
3. If this current issue (i.e., see item 1 in the first paragraph if you forgot to read it there or didn't fully comprehend  the simple scope of this query) is a design issue here, either:
     a. fix it or
     b. "cowboy-up" to the problem -- instead of using what appear to be stalking horse apologists in this user group to qualm the incessantly beating drums of discontent from some of your most ardent supporters over this simple question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the courage and intelligence to address this issue directly as presented above (i.e., see item 1 in the first paragraph above if you have not done so by now) without any of the tangential responses evidenced by this multi-year thread to date.

On 5/22/2013 2:25 AM, Jeremy Nicholls wrote:
Can it really be true? I was looking for how to auto-BCC outgoing emails from Gmail, but it never occurred to me that this feature might not be available. Bizarre. Maybe there is some commercial reason why Google don't want me to be able to sync easily to our CRM systems - maybe they would prefer me to pay for a Google CRM App. --
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gmail-Users" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gmail-users?hl=en.

Marko

Zack (Doc)

May 26, 2013, 11:45:27 AM5/26/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Actually Jeremy, that's the one case where filters don't work on outgoing mails.  You cannot apply forwarding (at least not effectively).

Kirstyn LeDoux

Apr 24, 2014, 1:17:08 PM4/24/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy - to make sure I am doing this right. Under forwarding settings do I have forwarding disabled or on? And if its on does the filter override the forwarding of ALL mail?

I am trying to BCC someone in my team on every e-mail I send.

Thank you - I know its beenawhile since you posted this

Zack (Doc)

Apr 24, 2014, 7:23:10 PM4/24/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Kirstyn,

It doesn't matter what your general setting for forwarding is, this is unrelated.  He means for you to click the "Add Forwarding Address" button there.  Then create a filter that matches "from:me" (yes you can just say "me") and the action is "Forward to " and select the address you've added.

You'll have to get confirmation via a code that your team member will receive before  you'll be able to automatically forward any of the messages.

Mot Nhat

Jun 23, 2014, 11:20:11 PM6/23/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I see that you run into the exactly same problem as mine.

I found yourself repeatly doing these actions, especially in CRM email system. I searched Gmail-Auto-BCC for a while, then I found a browser extension which helped me to automate this task.

It got a bunch of extra features, set up multiple Bcc addresses for multiple Gmail accounts, pop out reply/forward mail, maximize compose form...

You can read full details and download FIREFOX addon or SAFARI extension on this blog post: http://blog.afteroffers.com/automatically-bcc-gmail-emails-chrome-extension/